Radeon 9600PRO now available locally as well...

eden

Champion
<A HREF="http://www.shoprbc.com/ca/shop/product_details.php?pid=3124&cid=231" target="_new">http://www.shoprbc.com/ca/shop/product_details.php?pid=3124&cid=231</A>
Found em locally for 299$ as well.

Finally out, now hopefully Sapphire will have theirs, for less.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

Eden, GreyTech had theirs out the same Day (Monday) as ATI, and it's $279. Too bad we don't live in T.O. (I used to) and could pick them up without shipping.

Anywhoo, mine is on it's way from ATI, ordered it this morning via phone. And asked a few questions. They had 119 in stock at the plant a 7:30mt/9:30am Eastern. 118 now I guess.

$340 something after Express courrier.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red> :tongue: GA to SK

dinkster9

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2001
bit confused, why is everyone wanting a 9600pro when they are barely out, why pay full price when in 1 month it will be 75% of that price, also it hasn't been tried and true in mass market, a few review sites getting one and running a few benchmark tests doesn't cut it. This card could have serious problems just like everything else that is computer new and mass produced, how do we know that the production run of it won't have a fan noise as loud as the fx card? All i can say is I hope this card can cook breakfast for you too!

"sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick"
*grabs a stick and places it into the flames* mmmm, smores

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
some one needs to be the guinea pig. and better them than me.

Actually, if I had the money I would be ordering one right now as well. Why? because it is a good card and I trust ATI.

<b>Just because I like AMD or Intel more at a time because of one product compared to another, does not make me a fan boy, it makes me a person who is able to make a decision for myself.</b>

Exactly, and mine IS a retail card. IF I have problems I know where they work, and I trust their product and their renewed comittment to their drivers/products.
No matter what you are taking a risk, and right now, any top end ATI card is a better bet than an Nvidia card, where retail doesn't even exist.
I've got the best warranty in the business, outside of system makers like VooDoo.

I guess I would also be a Lab Monkey, not Guinea Pig. Speaking of which FREE my Brothers!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red> :tongue: GA to SK

eden

Champion
I agree with you, and I never said I will be buying one already.

I will see how Ape will enjoy his first.
Yes it's a new card and god knows, it could be unstable, just like it could be the most stable running of the ATis where you can install one without reinstalling Windows!

What I would love however is soon drivers which will address the lack of performance in certain areas, and if Sapphire can offer an edition that is strong with features, or even cheaper than ATi's.
What I am at least happy about is that the cost is indeed below the 9500PRO's, and at least that honors the performance that the 9600 PRO rightfully has, which is slightly below the 9500PRO. With such price of course, it raises the value price/performance, and then overclocking might take over. Hopefully THG will test OCing.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

dinkster9

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2001
I'M STILL LOST! why are people preordering/ordering a video card this is slower than its parent and costs more than its parent? 9600pro is 300$, the 9700pro is a bit under that. Why take the huge performance drop and spend that kind of cash on a watered down product? Or is the 300 bucks in canadan money or something?

"sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick"
*grabs a stick and places it into the flames* mmmm, smores

sargeduck

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002
the 9600 doesn't cost more than the 9500. (I'm refering to all pro's btw). If you look on ati's website, the 9600 is 299 cdn, and the 9500 is 399cdn. Ordering directly from ati is a bit more exspensive, third party manufactures will have it cheaper.
This, and the huge overclocking possibility, and the low power requirements (it needs no external source of power). These are advantages it has over the 9500, which means, i'm gonna go and buy one this week :)

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
I haven't kept up with computer gear for a while, but looking at the benchmarks the 9500Pro is faster than the 9600Pro. The 9500Pro is also cheaper(~$175), so what is the incentive to get the 9600Pro?

eden

Champion
There is the overclocking. It seems most websites have gotten it to overclock by a healthy 140MHZ+ core, and a bit more memory.

Of course, I still am skeptical about its current performance. It has 6:1 color compression for Anti-Aliasing, yet it loses so badly sometimes to its brother. It simply does not make sense.

--

eden

Champion
Just why doesn't anyone try to read the damn link's domain server origin, ".ca"?!

It is in Canadian, always will be, when I provide a website. 299$ CDN is very cheap, compared to the 499$ of the 9700PRO.

If it came out as the 9700PRO's price, something would be wrong, and it'd be indeed the day pigs fly.

--

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
Besides overclocking, is there anything else? I really do not see a reason to pay extra for a 9600pro when the 9500pro does better at a lower price. With all the hype surrounding its release, I figured there was something phenomonial about it.

eden

Champion
Dude are you playing with me?

The 9600PRO COSTS less than the 9500PRO, where do you take on it having a higher price?!

--

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Ok, just to clear things up, ATI released the R9600Pro to replace the R9500Pro. ATI hardly makes any profit off of the R9500Pro. The R9600Pro solves that problem. It provides roughly the same performance as te R9500Pro but is cheaper to produce. So as a user, which would you choose? IMHO, it doesn't matter...the R9600Pro is slightly cheaper and slightly slower at stock speed but can overclock like mad while the R9500Pro is the faster of the two at stock but is only a moderate overclocker. When both are overclocked, you'll find that their performance is, in fact, just about equal. As such, I would recommend either card equally.

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AMD_Man on 05/04/03 03:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

eden

Champion
This is how I view it. However if the DX9 part of the 9600PRO proves to be slightly better, due to F-Cache, it could entice more users since that is needed for Doom III to perform even better.
Unfortunately, many new advancements in the 9600PRO proved to be lax, such as 6:1 color compression not even helping it trounce the 9500PRO in AA. Wonder if the DX9 aspect will lose as well.

--

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Newegg normally prices its products well below ATi's suggested retail price. Once Newegg gets the R9600Pro in stock, I'm sure it'll be priced lower than the R9500Pro. Comparing ATI's prices is more accurate for the moment. They sell the R9500Pro for $219US while they sell the R9600Pro for $199US.

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
No its no from ATi and no its not retail. Retail and OEM means losing two years warrenty and some fancy packaging. So I guess if you want that stuff its not a fair comparison. The ATi retail version of the is $205 at newegg with Free Fedex 3 day Shipping. On ATi.com you can get the 9600Pro for $199 plus $15 for ground shipping(6 days) or $20 for express(3 days). So you would still be saving $11(or $16 if you want 3 days shipping) if you get the 9500Pro instead of the 9600Pro. Newegg will probably have the prices for the 9600Pro lower when they receive their shipments, but if I was building a computer RIGHT NOW, why would I want to get the 9600Pro instead of the 9500Pro.

My original question was why would anybody get a 9500Pro over a 9600Pro since the 9600Pro is more expensive RIGHT NOW and the 9500Pro outperforms the 9600Pro. However, people say it might have better overclocking capabilities, the 9600Pro might be a better choice.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I think you just answered your own question....just get an R9500Pro. If you can't wait, then get the R9500Pro now. The R9600Pro will provide nothing significant over the R9500Pro.

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

CasualCat2001

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
I think ATI will wait until the 9500pro stock is scarce or depleted before lowering the 9600pro price. There are still a lot of those cards out there for sale. It would be bad business to start selling a new card for a much lower price, that is RELATIVELY comparable performance-wise. Think of it this way: Say you are Best Buy and you have 2500 units of the 9500 pro in your stores which you have already purchased from ATI, and then ATI releases the 9600 pro at say $150. They would probably have a much harder time selling those 9500 pro's suddenly. Considering that a large portion of their business is from resellers and not direct sales, ATI wouldn't want to damage those business relationships.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
dude, why woudlnt you get a 9500pro? they cost only 35 bucks or so more than a 9600pro!!!

and the sapphire version will be less, and pretty much exactly the same as ATI reference boards ffs

dam... you shoulda waited ...340! ouch

-------

<A HREF="http://www.xgr.com" target="_new">XGR-Game Reviews</A>

"You change the channel, and you change our minds..." - System of a Down

eden

Champion
Luckily ATi shipping in Canada takes off PST. And how mean to US buyers, they pay 20$ Express in US form, while we pay 20$ in CDN! But then again we pay Jean's tax!

--

customvinnie

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
I believe the 9500pro is better then the 9600pro and stay away from the non-pro versions. So am I wrong? Or right?

4800se score - <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6423402" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6423402</A>