Vampire:the Eternal Puzzle (Part 2)

Last response: in Video Games
July 25, 2005 2:01:36 PM

Hi everybody,

it took me some time to think up and construct another puzzle (I posted
my first one way back), but finally here it is. I hope, I caught
all mistakes by now (had to correct some details...).

Have fun,
Sven

Liquidating the Dis Pater

The game has been running along quite smoothly and you were able to
score 2VPs. Now just two players are left at the table. Your opponent
(who has earned 1VP so far) is killing you with his Anarch Revolts. It
is your untap phase and you have just looked at the top two cards of
your library with your Thin-Blooded Seer. These two cards have
restored some hope and a diabolical plan is taking shape in your
mind...

IN PLAY:
You: (Edge, 12 Pool)
----
Ethan Locke with Rutor's Hand and Sunrise Service, 1 blood
Selena with Mr. Winthrop and a Bishop title, 2 blood
Silvia Giovanni with Fortitude Skill Card, 1 blood
Vittorio Giovanni with Laptop, 1 blood
Thin-Blooded Seer, tapped, 0 blood

Chronicle of the Lost Tribe
Dis Pater
Dummy Corporation
Elder Library
The Parthenon
Powerbase:Madrid (no counter)
Revelations
Torpid Blood
Visit from the Capuchin (1 counter)
Year of Fortune (increased hand size for both players)
Waste Management Operation
Weeping Stone

Opponent: (7 Pool)
---------
Jeremiah Noble, Red List, with 2 Auspex Skill Cards, Sport Bike,
Cardinal title, 3 blood
Yusuf, Scribe of Alamut, Red List, Anarch, with Auspex Skill Card,
Baron of New York title, Firebrand, Flaming Candle, Flak Jacket,
Saturday Night Special, The Haunting, 1 blood
Enkidu, the Noah, in torpor, 0 blood

Antediluvian Awakening
Anarch Revolt x6
Army of Rats
Channel 10
KRCG News Radio
London Evening Star
Revelations
Smiling Jack, The Anarch (1 counter)

HAND:
You:
----
Absorb the Mind
Ascendance
Circumspect Revelation
Haunt
Infernal Pact
Kine Resources Contested
Liquidation
Possession
Potence
Rebirth
Reins of Power (none played yet)
Trumped-Up Charges

Opponent:
---------
Anarch Revolt
Fake Out
Life in the City
Wake with Evening's Freshness x3
Telepathic Counter x2

LIBRARY:
You: (when you looked last round with Magic of the Smith the following
cards were left)
----
Daring the Dawn
Seduction
Darksight x3
Eyes of the Night x4
The top card is Daring the Dawn, followed by Seduction (you looked with
Thin-Blooded Seer)

Opponent:
---------
empty

ASH HEAP:
You:
----
Disputed Territory
Kine Resources Contested
Magic of the Smith
Tobias Smith

Opponent:
---------
60 assorted library cards (nothing important)
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 5:11:46 PM

Assuming this is all the info...

Untap, Gain a pool. Pay the 9 pool, and 1 blood off the black hand for
smiling jack... (12+1-9=4 pool) Add 1 blood to the black hand. End your
turn... He dies on his untap... (Since he didn't have the edge on his
turn...) He'll need to burn for the Antediluvian Awakening, Anarch
Revolt x6, and pay for Smiling jack. (8 pool) He could burn Enkidu, but
still needs to pay 7 pool, which kills him.
HAHAHA... That was easy.

sven.seven@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> cards were left)
> ----
> Daring the Dawn
> Seduction
> Darksight x3
> Eyes of the Night x4
> The top card is Daring the Dawn, followed by Seduction (you looked with
> Thin-Blooded Seer)
>
> Opponent:
> ---------
> empty
>
> ASH HEAP:
> You:
> ----
> Disputed Territory
> Kine Resources Contested
> Magic of the Smith
> Tobias Smith
>
> Opponent:
> ---------
> 60 assorted library cards (nothing important)
July 25, 2005 5:49:03 PM

kulaid871 wrote:
> Assuming this is all the info...
>
> Untap, Gain a pool. Pay the 9 pool, and 1 blood off the black hand for
> smiling jack... (12+1-9=4 pool) Add 1 blood to the black hand. End your
> turn... He dies on his untap... (Since he didn't have the edge on his
> turn...) He'll need to burn for the Antediluvian Awakening, Anarch
> Revolt x6, and pay for Smiling jack. (8 pool) He could burn Enkidu, but
> still needs to pay 7 pool, which kills him.

He doesn't pay anything for the Anarch Revolt, because of this vampire
in your opponent's ready region:

> > Yusuf, Scribe of Alamut, Red List, Anarch, with Auspex Skill Card,
> > Baron of New York title, Firebrand, Flaming Candle, Flak Jacket,
> > Saturday Night Special, The Haunting, 1 blood

Note the "Anarch" status of Yusuf.

> HAHAHA... That was easy.

Try again.

-John Flournoy
July 27, 2005 8:31:53 AM

John Flournoy wrote:
> kulaid871 wrote:
> > Assuming this is all the info...
> >
> > Untap, Gain a pool. Pay the 9 pool, and 1 blood off the black hand for
> > smiling jack... (12+1-9=4 pool) Add 1 blood to the black hand. End your
> > turn... He dies on his untap... (Since he didn't have the edge on his
> > turn...) He'll need to burn for the Antediluvian Awakening, Anarch
> > Revolt x6, and pay for Smiling jack. (8 pool) He could burn Enkidu, but
> > still needs to pay 7 pool, which kills him.
>
> He doesn't pay anything for the Anarch Revolt, because of this vampire
> in your opponent's ready region:
>
> > > Yusuf, Scribe of Alamut, Red List, Anarch, with Auspex Skill Card,
> > > Baron of New York title, Firebrand, Flaming Candle, Flak Jacket,
> > > Saturday Night Special, The Haunting, 1 blood
>
> Note the "Anarch" status of Yusuf.

Exactly. It shouldn't be that easy to solve. ;-)

Regards,
Sven
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 2:10:28 PM

Umm point out that Yusef is group 2, and Enkidu is group 4? And say I
win?
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 3:52:20 PM

sven.seven@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> it took me some time to think up and construct another puzzle (I posted
> my first one way back), but finally here it is. I hope, I caught
> all mistakes by now (had to correct some details...).
>
> Have fun,
> Sven

Is this meant to be solved in one turn or is dragging it out allowed?

oscar
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 11:16:06 PM

In message <1122570628.814573.297460@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
kulaid871 <Kulaid871@yahoo.com> writes:
>Umm point out that Yusef is group 2, and Enkidu is group 4? And say I
>win?

Pretend it was a draft event, with a LOT of cards for each player?
(Like, a few thousand boosters or so.)

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.

James Coupe wrote:
> In message <1122570628.814573.297460@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> kulaid871 <Kulaid871@yahoo.com> writes:
> >Umm point out that Yusef is group 2, and Enkidu is group 4? And say I
> >win?
>
> Pretend it was a draft event, with a LOT of cards for each player?
> (Like, a few thousand boosters or so.)

Somehow I knew that some little detail would slip by me. But yes, just
assume that it is a draft event ;-) Looking at the cards, I'd say
the chances are pretty high for this anyway (who would play all these
cards together in a constructed deck?)...

Kind regards,
Sven
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 9:03:02 AM

OrgPlay wrote:
> sven.seven@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > it took me some time to think up and construct another puzzle (I posted
> > my first one way back), but finally here it is. I hope, I caught
> > all mistakes by now (had to correct some details...).
> >
> > Have fun,
> > Sven
> >

> Is this meant to be solved in one turn or is dragging it out allowed?

I think winning this game in round 1 is not possible, so, yes, you are
allowed
to drag it out to further rounds.

Kind regards,
Sven
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 9:14:06 AM

strange library size for 1 player as well... :)
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 11:12:04 AM

tobiasopdenbr...@notsocoldmail.com wrote:
> strange library size for 1 player as well... :)

He's been using Dis Pater. Could have been legal to begin with.

oscar
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 12:01:18 PM

sven.seven@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> it took me some time to think up and construct another puzzle (I posted
> my first one way back), but finally here it is. I hope, I caught
> all mistakes by now (had to correct some details...).
>
> Have fun,
> Sven

Ok ok ok /pesci

My Turn 1:

Untap:
Gain 1 for edge. Pool: 13
Add 1 counter to Madrid. Counters: 1
Burn 6 pool for AR. Pool: 7
Burn Thin-Blooded Seer for AA.
Burn 1 blood off Selena (Jack). Selena 1/6.
Add 1 blood Weeping Stone: Selena 2/6.

Master:
Ascendence. Pool: 8
Discard Visit.
Liquidation. Pool: 11

Minion: none

Influence. None
Discard: None

Opponents Turn:
Untap:
1 counter to Jack. Pool: 6
Army of Rats: Our Pool 10
Master:
Life in the City Yusuf: 2/6
Anarch Revolt. 7 in play.

Minion:
First bleed will be reduced with Dummy Corp.
Second Bleed blocked by Silvia and dodged with Absorb the Mind.

Influence:
none

Discard:
none

My Turn 2:
Untap.
Gain 1 Pool (Edge) Pool: 11
AR x 7: Pool: 4
Burn 2 blood off Selena (Jack). Selena 0/6.
Add 1 blood Weeping Stone: 1/6.
Add 1 counter Madrid: 2 counters.

Master: none

Minion: Ethan calls Reins of Power with Sunrise Service.
Vampires chosen:
Jeremiah Noble 8cap
Silvia Giovanni 11cap.
I take 2 points pool damage. Prey takes 5.
Baron 2 + Firebrand 1+ 3Cardinal = 6
vs
Archbishop 2 + Bishop 1+ Madrid 2+ Vote 1+ 1 Edge= 7.
Vote Passes.
My Pool: 2 Prey Pool: 1
Influence: none
Discard: none

Opponnents turn 2:
Untap:
Rats. My pool: 1
Counter to Jack: Pool: 0
Ousted.

How'd I do?

oscar
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 1:18:16 PM

> Burn Thin-Blooded Seer for AA.

Needs to be a vampire with a cap above three, rest seems pretty
plausible to me :o )

Ant
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 2:01:56 PM

OrgPlay wrote:
> sven.seven@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > it took me some time to think up and construct another puzzle (I posted
> > my first one way back), but finally here it is. I hope, I caught
> > all mistakes by now (had to correct some details...).
> >
> > Have fun,
> > Sven
>
> Ok ok ok /pesci
>
> My Turn 1:
>
> Untap:
> Gain 1 for edge. Pool: 13
> Add 1 counter to Madrid. Counters: 1
> Burn 6 pool for AR. Pool: 7
> Burn Thin-Blooded Seer for AA.

Can't burn Seer for AA, make it vittorio instead.

oscar
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 2:52:40 PM

OrgPlay wrote:
> My Turn 1:
>
> Untap:
> Gain 1 for edge. Pool: 13
> Add 1 counter to Madrid. Counters: 1
> Burn 6 pool for AR. Pool: 7
> Burn Thin-Blooded Seer for AA.
> Burn 1 blood off Selena (Jack). Selena 1/6.
> Add 1 blood Weeping Stone: Selena 2/6.
>
> Master:
> Ascendence. Pool: 8
> Discard Visit.
> Liquidation. Pool: 11
>
> Minion: none
>
> Influence. None
> Discard: None
>
> Opponents Turn:
> Untap:
> 1 counter to Jack. Pool: 6
> Army of Rats: Our Pool 10
> Master:
> Life in the City Yusuf: 2/6
> Anarch Revolt. 7 in play.
>
> Minion:
> First bleed will be reduced with Dummy Corp.
> Second Bleed blocked by Silvia and dodged with Absorb the Mind.

Well, your opponent knows what's coming (there's a Revelations in
play). So you have to assume that he tries his best. At this point
I would not go bleeding with Yusuf, but burn the counter on your
Powerbase (not blockable, using the Candle). What would you do now?

Kind regards,
Sven
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 3:01:11 PM

sven.seven@gmail.com wrote:

> Well, your opponent knows what's coming (there's a Revelations in
> play). So you have to assume that he tries his best. At this point
> I would not go bleeding with Yusuf, but burn the counter on your
> Powerbase (not blockable, using the Candle). What would you do now?

I dunno, strangle you? piss and moan? :)

back to the drawing board.

oscar
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 12:13:43 PM

OrgPlay wrote:
> I dunno, strangle you?

What do the tournament rules say about strangling your opponent?
Is that an automatic DQ or an automatic table win? ;-)

Regards,
Sven
July 31, 2005 6:51:19 AM

sven.seven@gmail.com wrote:
> OrgPlay wrote:
> > I dunno, strangle you?
>
> What do the tournament rules say about strangling your opponent?
> Is that an automatic DQ or an automatic table win? ;-)
>
> Regards,
> Sven

Since I've emailed you privately with my questions and you indicated
that I had missed a card in my hand ... I can kill him in 2 turns.

However since I've had a kick in the head to make me see something I
missed, I will not put up my answer.

July 31, 2005 6:53:07 AM

Oops! I found a small loophole in my solution. It can
be patched by giving Selena one more blood (Selena now
has 3 blood). So, if someone has found a solution that
requires one of your vampires to have one more blood,
it is now viable. I apologize for any sleepless nights
I may have caused ;-)

Regards,
Sven

Here the corrected version:

> Liquidating the Dis Pater
>
> The game has been running along quite smoothly and you were able to
> score 2VPs. Now just two players are left at the table. Your opponent
> (who has earned 1VP so far) is killing you with his Anarch Revolts. It
> is your untap phase and you have just looked at the top two cards of
> your library with your Thin-Blooded Seer. These two cards have
> restored some hope and a diabolical plan is taking shape in your
> mind...
>

> IN PLAY:
> You: (Edge, 12 Pool)
> ----
> Ethan Locke with Rutor's Hand and Sunrise Service, 1 blood
> Selena with Mr. Winthrop and a Bishop title, 3 blood

Selena now has 3 blood.

> [...]
> cards were left)
> ----
> Daring the Dawn
> Seduction
> Darksight x3
> Eyes of the Night x4
> The top card is Daring the Dawn, followed by Seduction (you looked with
> Thin-Blooded Seer)
>
> Opponent:
> ---------
> empty
>
> ASH HEAP:
> You:
> ----
> Disputed Territory
> Kine Resources Contested
> Magic of the Smith
> Tobias Smith
>
> Opponent:
> ---------
> 60 assorted library cards (nothing important)
August 2, 2005 6:33:25 AM

Start 1st turn:
12 + 1 for edge - 6 for anarchs and 1 for antediluv. Pool at 6
Pay Smiling from Selena, now at 2
One counter on Madrid, now 1
HG on Selena, now at 3

Ascendance, pool at 7
Liquidation to go to 10
Vittorio puts a haunt (nec) via daring the dawn on powerbase madrid,
then explodes
Tap waste to get back ascendance on library
pass

Pool at 9 because of rats

Prey burns one for Smiling and goes to 6
If he burns enkidu he stays at 6, otherwise goes to 5.
Burns one off Yusuf because of haunting
PLay life in the city on yusuf + anarch revolt

If he tries to burn the candle to remove counters off Madrid, you burn
the haunt.
Otherwise, if bleeds are coming, burn dummy corporation and block with
silvia, dodging

prey passes

Start 2nd turn
9 + 1 (edge) less 7 (anarchs) and 1 Antediluvian (is still in play),
pool to 2
Pay Smiling from Selena, now at 0
One counter on Madrid, now 2
HG on Selena, now at 1
Play ascendance, pool at 3
Call reins with ethan and sunrise service
Passes 7-6 (2 Ethan + 2 from Madrid, 1 for edge, 1 Selena, 1 Political
card
against 3 Cardinal, 2 Baron, 1 Firebrand).
Prey burns 5 and goes to 1 (if he burned enkidu, otherwise he dies).
You burn 2 because of the 2 skill cards on Jeremiah
Pool to 1 (or 2 if Antediluvian no more in play)
If prey rescued enkidu then reins kills both but you win all the same
(3VP vs 2VP)

Pass (only if antediluv no more in play).

Burn one for rats and go to 1

Prey dies because of smiling.

Is it correct?

Paolo from Milan, Italy
August 2, 2005 10:06:37 AM

In round 1, you do not have a hunting ground, only the Weeping stone.
Not a big deal.

You do not draw Daring the Dawn in your master phases because

1. the ascendance burns the visit from the capuchin

2. liquidation is not replaced until your discard phase and so you will
burn daring the dawn, seduction, 3x darksight and 2xeyes of the night.
Thus you will be left with 3xeyes of the night in your discard pile.

August 2, 2005 10:47:52 AM

quetzalcoatl wrote:
> You do not draw Daring the Dawn in your master phases because
>
> 1. the ascendance burns the visit from the capuchin
>
> 2. liquidation is not replaced until your discard phase and so you will
> burn daring the dawn, seduction, 3x darksight and 2xeyes of the night.
> Thus you will be left with 3xeyes of the night in your discard pile.

He draws the Daring the Dawn when he plays the Haunt.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 11:16:25 AM

Emmit Svenson wrote:
> quetzalcoatl wrote:
> > You do not draw Daring the Dawn in your master phases because
> >
> > 1. the ascendance burns the visit from the capuchin
> >
> > 2. liquidation is not replaced until your discard phase and so you will
> > burn daring the dawn, seduction, 3x darksight and 2xeyes of the night.
> > Thus you will be left with 3xeyes of the night in your discard pile.
>
> He draws the Daring the Dawn when he plays the Haunt.

Whoops. Never mind. Missed your point about Liquidation.
August 2, 2005 12:02:36 PM

Txs quetzalcoatl, I hadn't read the do not replace clause of
Liquidation

Let's try again

Start 1st turn:
12 + 1 for edge - 6 for anarchs. Pool at 7. Burn Vittorio for
Antediluv.
Pay Smiling from Selena, now at 2
One counter on Madrid, now 1
Weeping Stone on Selena, now at 3

Ascendance, pool at 8 (do not draw because of visit)
Gloria puts a haunt (nec) (draw daring the dawn) via daring the dawn
(draw seduction)
on powerbase madrid,
then explodes
pass

Pool at 7 because of rats

Prey burns one for Smiling and goes to 6
Burns one off Yusuf because of haunting
PLay life in the city on yusuf + anarch revolt

If he tries to burn the candle to remove counters off Madrid, you burn
the haunt.
Otherwise, if bleeds are coming, burn dummy corporation and block with
Selena, dodging

prey passes

Start 2nd turn
7 + 1 (edge) less 7 (anarchs)
pool to 1
Pay Smiling from Selena, now at 0
One counter on Madrid, now 2
Weeping Stone on Selena, now at 1
Play liquidation, pool at 4 (library now empty)
Play potence on Ethan Locke (now 10 cap)
Bleed with Selena seductin Yusuf and playing circumspect revelation on
Jeremiah
Prey at 5
Call reins with ethan and sunrise service
Passes 7-6 (2 Ethan + 2 from Madrid, 1 for edge, 1 Selena, 1 Political
card against 3 Cardinal, 2 Baron, 1 Firebrand).
Prey burns 4 and goes to 1
You burn 2 because of the 2 skill cards on Jeremiah
Pool to 2

Pass (only if antediluv no more in play).

Burn one for rats and go to 1

Prey dies because of smiling.

Should be okay now?

Paolo from Milan, Italy
August 2, 2005 12:22:23 PM

CORRECTION!

Txs quetzalcoatl, I hadn't read the do not replace clause of
Liquidation

Let's try again

Start 1st turn:
12 + 1 for edge - 6 for anarchs. Pool at 7. Burn Vittorio for
Antediluv.
Pay Smiling from Selena, now at 2
One counter on Madrid, now 1
Weeping Stone on Selena, now at 3

Ascendance, pool at 8 (do not draw because of visit)
Gloria puts a haunt (nec) (draw daring the dawn) via daring the dawn
(draw seduction)
on powerbase madrid,
then explodes
tap waste to put any one card back in the library (so now there are 8
cards)
pass

Pool at 7 because of rats

Prey burns one for Smiling and goes to 6
Burns one off Yusuf because of haunting
PLay life in the city on yusuf + anarch revolt

If he tries to burn the candle to remove counters off Madrid, you burn
the haunt.
Otherwise, if bleeds are coming, burn dummy corporation and block with
Selena, dodging (and replacing with card n° 8, 7 are remaining)

prey passes

Start 2nd turn
7 + 1 (edge) less 7 (anarchs)
pool to 1
Pay Smiling from Selena, now at 0
One counter on Madrid, now 2
Weeping Stone on Selena, now at 1
Play liquidation, pool at 4 (library now empty)
Play potence on Ethan Locke (now 10 cap)
Bleed with Selena seductin Yusuf and playing circumspect revelation on
Jeremiah
Prey at 5
Call reins with ethan and sunrise service
Passes 7-6 (2 Ethan + 2 from Madrid, 1 for edge, 1 Selena, 1 Political
card against 3 Cardinal, 2 Baron, 1 Firebrand).
Prey burns 4 and goes to 1
You burn 2 because of the 2 skill cards on Jeremiah
Pool to 2

Pass (only if antediluv no more in play).

Burn one for rats and go to 1

Prey dies because of smiling.

Should be okay now?

Paolo from Milan, Italy
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 12:26:01 PM

shaitan@mnt.it wrote:
> Passes 7-6 (2 Ethan + 2 from Madrid, 1 for edge, 1 Selena, 1 Political
> card against 3 Cardinal, 2 Baron, 1 Firebrand).
> Prey burns 4 and goes to 1
> You burn 2 because of the 2 skill cards on Jeremiah
> Pool to 2

No. If your prey rescued Enkidu, you die here.
August 2, 2005 12:31:06 PM

If prey tries to rescue enkidu with Jeremiah you have Selena + mr
winthrop and the dodge
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 12:44:48 PM

shaitan@mnt.it wrote:
> Bleed with Selena seductin Yusuf and playing circumspect revelation on
> Jeremiah
> Prey at 5

No, prey at 6. (Plays Telepathic Counter). With Antediluvian Awakening
gone, he survives Trumped Up Charges for 4 and the 1 on Smiling Jack.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 1:58:32 PM

shaitan@mnt.it wrote:
> Start 1st turn:
> 12 + 1 for edge - 6 for anarchs. Pool at 7. Burn Vittorio for
> Antediluv.
> Pay Smiling from Selena, now at 2
> One counter on Madrid, now 1
> Weeping Stone on Selena, now at 3
>

> Ascendance, pool at 8 (do not draw because of visit)
> Gloria puts a haunt (nec) (draw daring the dawn) via daring the dawn
> (draw seduction)
> on powerbase madrid,
> then explodes
> tap waste to put any one card back in the library (so now there are 8
> cards)
> pass
>

> Pool at 7 because of rats
>

> Prey burns one for Smiling and goes to 6
> Burns one off Yusuf because of haunting
> PLay life in the city on yusuf + anarch revolt
>

> If he tries to burn the candle to remove counters off Madrid, you burn
> the haunt.
> Otherwise, if bleeds are coming, burn dummy corporation and block with
> Selena, dodging (and replacing with card n° 8, 7 are remaining)

Well, to throw another wrench into your solution: what if your
opponent anticipates all this (he can see your hand) and burns
his own Smiling Jack with the Candle?

Kind regards,
Sven
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 12:22:59 AM

I believe that I can make my opponent lose on his next untap phase.

My turn, Untap:

Gain 1 from the edge, lose 6 to revolts 1 to AA 1 to Jack. pool=5

Put one counter on PB:M

Master:

Play Infernal Pact on Ethan for Mytherceria. pool=4. Visit is burned. 5
cards in ash heap.

Tap Parthenon, play Ascendence. pool=5. Daring The Dawn now in hand, 6
cards in ash heap.

Minion:

T-BS hunts.

Vittorio bleeds and plays Daring the Dawn whether or not a block is
declared. With 7 cards in ash heap Dis Pater is tapped bringing the
bleed to 3. Both TC's are played (as they must be). Seduction now in
hand.

Selena calls Reins of Power, Seducing Yusuf. When Jeremiah attempts to
block she plays Circumspect Revelation. 11 cap Silvia is chosen by me
and 8 cap Jeremiah by my opponent. Referendum happens with 5 votes
against, tapping PB:M gives Selena a 2nd vote plus Ethan's 2 votes, the
vote card and the edge thrown for a total of 6 for it. RoP passes
opponent loses 5 pool down to 2, I lose 2. My Pool=3

Ethan bleeds and burns Sunrise Service for an unblockable bleed of 1
(if he had not used both TC's on Vittorio's bleed outcome is the same).
opponent's pool down to 1.

End turn

On opponents untap

Army hits me for 1. pool=2. Jack kills him.

(Note that Liquidation could have been played with Ascendance instead
of Infernal Pact, but Daring still needed to be played when it was in
order to get the Seduction in hand).

I don't think I missed anything, but I'm sure you'll point it out if I
did.

Robert Scythe
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 12:37:23 AM

> (Note that Liquidation could have been played with Ascendance instead
> of Infernal Pact, but Daring still needed to be played when it was in
> order to get the Seduction in hand).

Actually Liquidation would not have worked because of do not replace,
so everything had to be done the way I originally stated it.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 9:26:01 AM

Robert Scythe wrote:
> Selena calls Reins of Power, Seducing Yusuf. When Jeremiah attempts to
> block she plays Circumspect Revelation. 11 cap Silvia is chosen by me
> and 8 cap Jeremiah by my opponent. Referendum happens with 5 votes
> against, tapping PB:M gives Selena a 2nd vote plus Ethan's 2 votes, the
> vote card and the edge thrown for a total of 6 for it. RoP passes
> opponent loses 5 pool down to 2, I lose 2. My Pool=3

Your opponent has 6 votes: Cardinal, Baron, Firebrand. The referendum
fails.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 2:53:49 PM

Emmit Svenson wrote:
> Robert Scythe wrote:
> > Selena calls Reins of Power, Seducing Yusuf. When Jeremiah attempts to
> > block she plays Circumspect Revelation. 11 cap Silvia is chosen by me
> > and 8 cap Jeremiah by my opponent. Referendum happens with 5 votes
> > against, tapping PB:M gives Selena a 2nd vote plus Ethan's 2 votes, the
> > vote card and the edge thrown for a total of 6 for it. RoP passes
> > opponent loses 5 pool down to 2, I lose 2. My Pool=3
>
> Your opponent has 6 votes: Cardinal, Baron, Firebrand. The referendum
> fails.

Should have read other people's solutions first, forgot about Firebrand.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 3:11:17 PM

Robert Scythe wrote:
> Emmit Svenson wrote:
> > Robert Scythe wrote:
> > > Selena calls Reins of Power, Seducing Yusuf. When Jeremiah attempts to
> > > block she plays Circumspect Revelation. 11 cap Silvia is chosen by me
> > > and 8 cap Jeremiah by my opponent. Referendum happens with 5 votes
> > > against, tapping PB:M gives Selena a 2nd vote plus Ethan's 2 votes, the
> > > vote card and the edge thrown for a total of 6 for it. RoP passes
> > > opponent loses 5 pool down to 2, I lose 2. My Pool=3
> >
> > Your opponent has 6 votes: Cardinal, Baron, Firebrand. The referendum
> > fails.
>
> Should have read other people's solutions first, forgot about Firebrand.

It's either a great puzzle or a broken one. I swear if Sven gives a
solution that doesn't work I'm going to break into his house and
draw mustaches on all his crypt cards.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 4:47:28 PM

Okay, I believe I have it now

First turn untap:

gain from edge, burn Vittorio to AA, lose 6 to AR pool= 12+1-6=7
Selena loses one blood to Jack and gains one from Stone.
1 counter on PB:M

Master:

Ascendance, burn Visit. pool=8 (Daring the Dawn now in hand)
tap Parthenon play Potence on Ethan.

Minion:

Silvia plays Haunt on PB:M with DtD and burns. (Seduction now in hand)
Selena calls Trumped-Up Charges on Ethan, Seducing Yusuf and
Circumspecting Jeremiah. 6 votes against, 3 titled votes for + 4 more
for the amount of Red Lists in play: 7-6 passes.
Ethan diablerizes Enkidu with Sunrise Service and searches for
Fortitude skill card now in ash heap from Silvia burning. plays Rebirth
to avoid Bloodhunt.

Influence:

tap Waste Management to put Daring at bottom of Library

end turn

opponents turn:

Lose one to Army, pool=7. He loses 1 to Jack, pool=6
Yusuf loses 1 blood to Haunting.
Plays Life in the City on Yusuf then plays AR.
Yusuf does one of 3 things with Candle:
Bleed for one - use Dummy Corp
Burn counter on PB:M - burn Haunt to negate
Burn Jack - let him
Anything that Jeremiah attempts (accept burning Jack) is blocked by
Selena and blows are exchanged for 1 each.

end of turn

Second turn untap:

Gain from edge lose 7 to AR. pool=7+1-7=1. Selena loses 2 to Jack
(since we know that opponent did not attempt to burn him) and gains one
from Stone (3rd blood on Selena was needed to thwart a mandatory hunt
action by her).
2nd counter on PB:M.

Master:

Play Liquidation. pool=4 (DtD is only card left in Library)
Tap Parthenon and play Infernal Pact on Ethan to gain MYT. pool=3 (DtD
in hand)

Minion:

Ethan attempts to use his ability on either of opponents minions. if
not blocked go to next action. If blocked he plays Absorb The Mind and
will end the combat with one blood and an Auspex Master bringing him to
12 cap status.
Ethan untaps via Rutors and plays Reins of Power with Daring. Tapping
PB:M for 2 more votes it passes 7-6. 12 cap Ethan and 8 cap (if he did
not lose the Master) Jeremiah are chosen. my pool=1, opponents=0

good puzzle, plenty of Red Herrings

Robert Scythe
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 5:28:46 PM

Robert Scythe wrote:
> Selena calls Trumped-Up Charges on Ethan, Seducing Yusuf and
> Circumspecting Jeremiah. 6 votes against, 3 titled votes for + 4 more
> for the amount of Red Lists in play: 7-6 passes.
> Anything that Jeremiah attempts (accept burning Jack) is blocked by
> Selena and blows are exchanged for 1 each.

Selena is tapped when Jeremiah bleeds for one, resulting in your death
on your untap phase.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 5:32:36 PM

sven.seven@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> > Infernal Pact
> > Kine Resources Contested
> > Liquidation
> > Possession
> > Potence
> > Rebirth
> > Reins of Power (none played yet)
> > Trumped-Up Charges
> >
> > Opponent:
> > ---------
> > Anarch Revolt
> > Fake Out
> > Life in the City
> > Wake with Evening's Freshness x3
> > Telepathic Counter x2
> >
> > LIBRARY:
> > You:
> > ----
> > Daring the Dawn
> > Seduction
> > Darksight x3
> > Eyes of the Night x4
> > The top card is Daring the Dawn, followed by Seduction (you looked with

This works:

Gain one pool from Edge. (Pool = 13)
Lose six pool to Anarch Revolts. (Pool = 7)
Burn Vittorio Giovanni to burn Antediluvian Awakening.
Burn one blood off Selena for Smiling Jack. (Selena blood = 2)
Give one blood to Selena from Weeping Stone (Selena blood = 3)
Add one counter to Powerbase: Madrid. (PB: M counters = 1)
Play Ascendance. (Pool = 8, last Visit from the Capuchin counter gone)
Play Haunt on Powerbase: Madrid with Sylvia Giovanni. (Draw Daring the
Dawn.) Play Daring the Dawn. (Draw Seduction.) Sylvia is burned.
(Fortitude card to discard pile.)
Tap Waste Management Operation to move Daring the Dawn from discard to
the bottom of your deck.

Opponent moves 1 pool to Smiling Jack. (Opponent pool = 6)
Yusef loses a blood to The Haunting (Yusef blood = 0)
Lose a pool to Army of Rats (Pool = 7)
Opponent plays Life in the City on Yusef. (Yusef blood = 1)
Opponent plays Anarch Revolt.
If opponent uses Jerimiah Noble to bleed, burn Smiling Jack, rescue
Enkidu, burn the Haunting or burn PM: M counters, block with Selena and
trade punches. (Selena blood > 1).
If opponent uses Yusef to bleed or burn PM: M counters, burn Dummy
Corporation or Haunt to make the action fail.
Other actions (vote to burn Anarch Revolts, vote to burn Year of
Fortune, hunt, steal Chronicle, burn Weeping Stone, burn Smiling Jack
with Yusef) shouldn't be blocked. (Discard Possession, Kine Resources
Contested as handsize decreases, as necessary.)

Gain one pool from Edge. (Pool = 8)
Lose 7 pool to Anarch Revolts. (Pool = 1)
For simplicity's sake, tap the Thin-Blooded Seer to see your cards.
Add one counter to Powerbase: Madrid. (PB: M counters = 2)
Give one blood to Selena from Weeping Stone if possible. (Selena blood
> 1)
If opponent burnt his own Smiling Jack, see the Coda below. Otherwise:
Lose two blood from Selena to Smiling Jack. (Selena blood = 2, 1 or 0.
If 0, opponent pool = 5 due to cost of burning Weeping Stone)
Play Liquidation. (Pool = 4, all Eyes of the Night and Darksight gone.)
Play Potence on Ethan Locke. (Draw Daring the Dawn) (Ethan cap = 10)
If Selena blood > 0:
Call Trumped-Up Charges with Selena on Ethan Locke,
playing Seduction on Yusuf. If Jerimiah Noble attempts
to block, play Circumspect Revelation. Vote is your 8
(Card + 2 Redlist in play + Archbishop + Bishop) to
opponent's 6.
Ethan Locke diablerizes Enkidu, burns Sunrise Service to
be unblockable. Gains Fortitude that was once on Silvia.
(Ethan Cap = 11) Plays Rebirth to cancel bloodhunt and
untap.
If Selena blood = 0:
Selena hunts, playing Seduction on Yusuf. If Jerimiah Noble
attempts to block, play Circumspect Revelation.
Call Reins of Power with Ethan Locke, playing Daring the Dawn to make
it unblockable (or burning Sunrise Service if Weeping Stone was burned
and Selena had to block Jeremiah.) Vote is your 7 (Card + Edge +
Archbishop + Bishop + Madrid) to opponent's 6. Opponent loses 5 pool
(4 if Weeping Stone was burned and Selena had to block Jeremiah) and is
at 1 pool (or 0 if Weeping Stone was burned and Selena didn't block
Jeremiah.) You lose 2 pool, dropping to 2.

If opponent alive:
Lose a pool to Army of Rats (Pool = 1)
Opponent moves 1 pool to Smiling Jack. (Opponent pool = 0)

You win, 4 VP to 1 VP.

Coda:
If opponent burned Smiling Jack with Yusef:
Play Liquidation. (Pool = 4, all Eyes of the Night and Darksight gone.)
Play Potence on Ethan. (Draw Daring the Dawn) (Ethan cap = 10)
Use Ethan Locke to diablerize Enkidu, burning the Sunrise Service to
make it unblockable. Ethan gains the Fortitude skill card that was once
on Silvia. (Ethan Cap = 11). Bloodhunt vote is your 6 (Thrown KRC +
Archbishop + Bishop + Madrid) to opponent's 6.
Ethan Locke untaps with Rutor's Hand.
Selena goes Anarch, playing Seduction on Yusuf. If Jerimiah Noble
attempts to block, play Circumspect Revelation. (Selena blood > 0)
Ethan Locke burns the Army of Rats, playing Daring the Dawn to make it
unblockable.

Now it's a waiting game. Since your opponent has only Yusef (stuck in
a hunting loop) and Jeremiah, no pool gain and no offense, you can
easily block all his bleeds after Selena untaps next turn. You can
repeatedly rebuild your hand with Possession, Circumspect Revelation
and Seduction using Waste Management operation while Selena fills up on
blood from the Weeping Stone, gaining a net of one blood every other
turn since Jeremiah must alternate between bleeding and hunting. Give
her Necromancy with an Infernal Pact and you can revive Silvia, the
newly Possessed vamp to block Jeremiah's bleed when Selena's
tapped. Then restock on Seduction and bleed with Silvia, Seducing
Yusef, blocking return bleeds with Selena. Once Selena's blood is
high enough, Possess Ethan, then Vittorio, then Tobias. Eventually your
prey falls.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 5:40:57 PM

Emmit Svenson wrote:
> This works:

Dang it, it doesn't.

> Now it's a waiting game. Since your opponent has only Yusef (stuck in
> a hunting loop) and Jeremiah, no pool gain and no offense, you can
> easily block all his bleeds after Selena untaps next turn.

What I forgot is that Jeremiah can burn the Haunting off Yusef while
Selena is tapped. With Yusef and Jeremiah both bleeding, Selena loses
the race.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 5:41:31 PM

> Selena goes Anarch,

Selena cannot go anarch
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 5:43:12 PM

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Emmit Svenson wrote:

> Robert Scythe wrote:
>>>
>>> Your opponent has 6 votes: Cardinal, Baron, Firebrand. The referendum
>>> fails.
>>
>> Should have read other people's solutions first, forgot about Firebrand.
>
> It's either a great puzzle or a broken one. I swear if Sven gives a
> solution that doesn't work I'm going to break into his house and
> draw mustaches on all his crypt cards.

Yeah, I can't figure it out. Seems like if the opponent burns his own
Jack, then he wins. He's got 7 pool to start with. You can force him to
burn 1 to Jack and hit him for a maximum of 5 with Reins of Power. He's
got that useless Enkidu, so he can get rid of the Antideluvian if he
wants. Two Telepathic Counters (and the AUS to use it), oodles of
intercept and three Wakes make bleeding difficult at best. Six hostile
votes means you need two counters on Powerbase: Madrid to pass the Reins
of Power or KRC.

A few ideas I've had....

Kill Yusef
Good idea because: Anarch Revolts will kill him and give me the game.
Doesn't work because: Yusef is armed and dangerous. There's no way to get
him, even going after him with everyone via Red List rush.

Kill Jeremiah
Good idea because: I get vote control. Prey loses useful
blocker/Telepathic Counterer.
Doesn't work because: It requires all of my remaining resources to take
down Jeremiah and I lose Silvia in the process. I get him, but then die
to Anarch Revolts. Any other action I attempt is blocked by Yusef.

Steal skill cards
Good idea because: It's a very funny way to win, lowers Jeremiah's
capacity (for Reins of Power) and reduces the Telepathic Counter power.
Doesn't work because: Again, I use all my resources to steal skill cards
and still die to the Anarch Revolts. I could get a bleed in this way, but
it doesn't matter. I can't pass the Reins of Power because my prey wisely
burns my PB:M counter.

Call Reins of Power
Good idea because: You choose Silvia, prey burns 5 and dies to Jack in 2
turns.
Doesn't work because: Prey either burns Madrid counters unblockably,
making the vote fail or burns his own Jack unblockably. He might as well
as he doesn't need Jack.

Trick prey into making a stupid mistake
Good idea because: As far as I can tell this is the only way to win.
Doesn't work because: Prey also reads the newsgroup.

Matt Morgan
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 5:45:53 PM

> Selena is tapped when Jeremiah bleeds for one, resulting in your death
> on your untap phase.

Right. Everything I said earlier but wait till the 2nd turn to call the
Trumped-Up Charges and diablerizing Enkidu (rebirth untaps anyway)
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 6:03:27 PM

Robert Scythe wrote:

Corrected

[...]

Circumspecting Jeremiah. 6 votes against, 3 titled votes for + 6 more
for the amount of Red Lists in play: 9-6 passes.
Ethan diablerizes Enkidu with Sunrise Service and searches for
Fortitude skill card now in ash heap from Silvia burning and plays
Rebirth
to avoid Bloodhunt then untaps
Ethan attempts to use his ability on either of opponents minions. if
not blocked go to next action. If blocked he plays Absorb The Mind and
will end the combat with one blood and an Auspex Master bringing him to
12 cap status.
Ethan untaps via Rutors and plays Reins of Power with Daring. Tapping
PB:M for 2 more votes it passes 7-6. 12 cap Ethan and 8 cap (if he did
not lose the Master) Jeremiah are chosen. my pool=1, opponents=0

(Note Yusuf cannot diablerize and Selena can block Jeremiah from
encountering Enkidu).

Robert Scythe
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 6:08:57 PM

Robert Scythe wrote:
> First turn untap:
> Master:
>
> Ascendance, burn Visit. pool=8 (Daring the Dawn now in hand)
> tap Parthenon play Potence on Ethan.
>
> Minion:
>
> Silvia plays Haunt on PB:M with DtD and burns. (Seduction now in hand)
>
> Influence:
>
> tap Waste Management to put Daring at bottom of Library
> Gain from edge lose 7 to AR. pool=7+1-7=1. Selena loses 2 to Jack
> (since we know that opponent did not attempt to burn him) and gains one
> from Stone (3rd blood on Selena was needed to thwart a mandatory hunt
> action by her).
> 2nd counter on PB:M.
>
> Master:
>
> Play Liquidation. pool=4 (DtD is only card left in Library)
> Tap Parthenon and play Infernal Pact on Ethan to gain MYT. pool=3 (DtD
> in hand)

Sorry, amigo, your card count is off.

You play Ascendance and burn the last Visit counter.
You play Potence and draw Daring the Dawn.
You play Haunt and draw Seduction.
You play Daring the Dawn and draw Darksight.
You put Daring the Dawn at the bottom of your library.
You play Liquidation, burning 2 Darksight, 4 Eyes of the Night and
Daring the Dawn. You no longer have it available to make the vote
unblockable.

Since you have to play Liquidation before playing the Infernal Pact,
this solution doesn't work.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 6:26:14 PM

Matthew T. Morgan wrote:
> Could block with Ethan, but then he takes hands for 1 and must hunt. If
> the prey is stupid and blocks, then you can Absorb the Mind and continue
> on to the Call Reins of Power and win phase.

Actually, Ethan's hosed in that scenario even if blocked. He only
steals one blood along with the skill card, and since he'll get hit
for one he must hunt again.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 6:28:26 PM

Matthew T. Morgan wrote:
> Nope! Selena is a Bishop (in the scenario). There's not any feasible way
> to go anarch.

I knew there was a reason I rejected that idea earlier in the
week...I'm getting sloppy. I'd better just quiet down until Sven gives
us an answer.

And it had better work, Sven. Mustaches. Everywhere.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 7:47:43 PM

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Emmit Svenson wrote:

> Robert Scythe wrote:
>> Selena calls Trumped-Up Charges on Ethan, Seducing Yusuf and
>> Circumspecting Jeremiah. 6 votes against, 3 titled votes for + 4 more
>> for the amount of Red Lists in play: 7-6 passes.
>> Anything that Jeremiah attempts (accept burning Jack) is blocked by
>> Selena and blows are exchanged for 1 each.
>
> Selena is tapped when Jeremiah bleeds for one, resulting in your death
> on your untap phase.

Could block with Ethan, but then he takes hands for 1 and must hunt. If
the prey is stupid and blocks, then you can Absorb the Mind and continue
on to the Call Reins of Power and win phase. If prey is sly and doesn't
block, you either won't be able to get Ethan to high enough capacity to
call the vote or won't have a minion with fortitude who has a spare action
to call the vote.

Either way, you lose.

Matt Morgan
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 7:53:43 PM

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Emmit Svenson wrote:

> Coda:
> If opponent burned Smiling Jack with Yusef:
> Play Liquidation. (Pool = 4, all Eyes of the Night and Darksight gone.)
> Play Potence on Ethan. (Draw Daring the Dawn) (Ethan cap = 10)
> Use Ethan Locke to diablerize Enkidu, burning the Sunrise Service to
> make it unblockable. Ethan gains the Fortitude skill card that was once
> on Silvia. (Ethan Cap = 11). Bloodhunt vote is your 6 (Thrown KRC +
> Archbishop + Bishop + Madrid) to opponent's 6.
> Ethan Locke untaps with Rutor's Hand.
> Selena goes Anarch, playing Seduction on Yusuf.

Nope! Selena is a Bishop (in the scenario). There's not any feasible way
to go anarch.

Your solution works if your opponent doesn't burn his Jack. He should
burn Jack. Jack's effect is negligible compared to having seven Anarch
Revolts in play. Those are what will win the game.

Matt Morgan
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 5:47:20 AM

Emmit Svenson schrieb:
> It's either a great puzzle or a broken one. I swear if Sven gives a
> solution that doesn't work I'm going to break into his house and
> draw mustaches on all his crypt cards.

Hmm, well, this is kind of embarrasing, but I couldn't solve my
own puzzle anymore... After reflecting on everything, I found that I
had put in one red herring too much (I also got a little bit
sloppy, trying to repair things that broke down by introducing
all the red herrings).

By the way, all my crypt cards are now in a safe deposit box
somewhere in Switzerland...

I modified the puzzle and here is the new version (this time
there is a solution, I swear, I've got it lying in front of
me; I can also mail it to someone, so it can be doublechecked).

Modifications:
- Selena has 3 blood (was already mentioned)
- 2 Counters on Visit
- exchanged Enkidu with Kemintiri (ADV), so grouping rule
is observed

As you have already found out so many details, solving this is
probably a breeze:

IN PLAY:
You: (Edge, 12 Pool)
----
Ethan Locke with Rutor's Hand and Sunrise Service, 1 blood
Selena with Mr. Winthrop and a Bishop title, 3 blood (*)
Silvia Giovanni with Fortitude Skill Card, 1 blood
Vittorio Giovanni with Laptop, 1 blood
Thin-Blooded Seer, tapped, 0 blood

Chronicle of the Lost Tribe
Dis Pater
Dummy Corporation
Elder Library
The Parthenon
Powerbase:Madrid (no counter)
Revelations
Torpid Blood
Visit from the Capuchin (2 counters) (*)
Year of Fortune (increased hand size for both players)
Waste Management Operation
Weeping Stone

Opponent: (7 Pool)
---------
Jeremiah Noble, Red List, with 2 Auspex Skill Cards, Sport Bike,
Cardinal title, 3 blood
Yusuf, Scribe of Alamut, Red List, Anarch, with Auspex Skill Card,
Baron of New York title,
Firebrand, Flaming Candle, Flak Jacket, Saturday Night Special, The
Haunting, 1 blood
Kemintiri (ADV), in torpor, 0 blood (*)

[...]

August 8, 2005 10:45:57 AM

sven.seven@gmail.com wrote:
> Hmm, well, this is kind of embarrasing, but I couldn't solve my
> own puzzle anymore...

Angels weep for your shame, Sven. I have no father any longer.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 11:53:24 AM

> - 2 Counters on Visit

Well, with 2 counters on Visit my last attempt works perfectly.

> - exchanged Enkidu with Kemintiri (ADV), so grouping rule
> is observed

Why bother with this? There are various ways Enkidu could have come
under your control during the game, I never saw the grouping rule as a
hindrance for the puzzle. Are you sure you want Kemintiri in there? You
do not really need the 3rd Red List to pass the Trumped-Up Charges
vote. Plus, with Kemintiri only a 10 cap, I would have to rework my
last solution that you fixed with the 2nd counter on Visit. Not worth
the time since you may not have paid attention to this last
discrepancy.
!