[Newsletter] Official Malkavian Antitribu Newsletter, July..

Last response: in Video Games
July 26, 2005 12:33:54 AM

Official VEKN Malkavian Antitribv NEWSLETTER, Jvly 2005
VOLUME IV, Issve X

1. INTRODUCTION
This newsletter is abovt Black Hand, the mysteriovs grovp of Sabbat
vampires of different clans. They have their own organization and
"titles" (Seraph). They possess some vniqve powers and abilities, that
reqvire no Disciplines. And while it's rvmored that they are strvggling
against the Gehenna, who might know their trve goals?
In V:tES, as vsval, there are some cards that reqvire a Black Hand
vampire, or can be played only on a Black Hand vampire, or jvst work
better with svch vampire. If yov are interested in Black Hand, there
are two possible options: yov can bvild a "trve Black Hand deck",
packing only Black Hand vampires into yovr crypt or jvst vse a Black
Hand faction to play some interesting Black Hand cards.

2. HERE WE ARE
Malkavians antitribv have two good Black Hand vampires with low
capacity and the most popvlar Black Hand disciplines (Obfvscate and
Avspex). Assvming the fact that there are only 26 Black Hand vampires,
and some of them aren't especially good (note that there are NO Black
Hand vamps with titles, so players tend to avoid Black Hand elders),
ovr two !Malks are going to be qvite popvlar in the Black Hand decks.

3. CARDS OF THE MONTH

Name: Remover [BH:C]
Master.
Pvt this card on a Black Hand vampire. This vampire can tap any card
(inclvding a minion) as a +1 stealth (D) action. A vampire can have
only one Remover.

This card is trvly brilliant in a deck based on Obfvscate, especially
with low-capacity vamps. No deck can have vnlimited nvmber of Wakes,
and tapping a vampire redvces the possibility of block, bovnce or any
other reaction. Obfvscate provides stealth needed to tap the minion.
If all the minions of yovr prey are tapped, yov can tap a location
(especially an intercept-providing one) to ensvre that nobody wovld
block yovr most important actions. This card can be devastating against
certain decks: for instance, a vamp of ANI-based intercept deck may
stay vntapped and hope to vntap with Cat's Gvidance after svccessfvl
block, bvt the svccessfvl Remover action wovld tap it. Infernal
intercept decks and Bartholomew will be hosed by this card as well.

Name: The Admonitions
[BH:U]
Cardtype: Master
Uniqve master.
Pvt this card in play. Tap to discard one card if yov control a ready
Sabbat vampire. Tap to draw two cards if yov control a ready Black Hand
vampire. Dvring yovr discard phase, control of The Admonitions passes
covnter-clockwise vntil it is controlled by a Methvselah who controls a
ready Sabbat vampire (or is bvrned if there are none).

This looks like the Fragment of the Book of Nod, bvt yov don't have to
play intercept to vse it. This card "wanders" arovnd the table like
Milicent Smith or The Coven, bvt yov'll get it back mvch faster
(actvally, yov will keep it forever if nobody wovld play Sabbat), and
the players withovt Black Hand vampires wovld have jvst "one-tvrn
Barrens" effect.
The Admonitions allow yov to cycle vnneeded cards and get the needed
ones. It is free, it's very vnlikely to be contested (after all, if
someone else wovld play it, yov'd get the same effect!) and it isn't
even a location, so yov can freely keep it even if yovr predator plays
Arika. This card is one of the primary reasons to inclvde some Black
Hand vampires in a deck, since it's very good.

Name: Shakar [BH:C/PN2]
Cost: 1 pool
Master.
Pvt this card on a Black Hand vampire. This Black Hand vampire can
enter combat with any yovnger non-Black Hand vampire as a (D) action. A
vampire can have only one Shakar.

This card is the only permanent and reliable way to make yovr primary
combatant able to rvsh almost all vampires on the table. There are some
political actions to achieve this (Archon, Templar, Alastor), bvt
yov'll rarely manage to pvsh them, as the whole table wovld fear that
the power wovld eventvally be vsed against them. Good combatants rarely
have a lot of votes, and Archon/Templar can be removed by a svccessfvl
referendvm, which makes them nearly vnplayable. Alastor is mvch better,
bvt it reqvires at least a Jvsticar.
Shakar is a master, not a political action, and it can be covntered
only by Svdden Reversal. It allows yovr Black Hand vampire to rvsh
almost any yovnger vampire... as yov see, age is the only restriction.
Thvs, if yov manage to pvt some skill cards on yovr vampire, he or she
wovld be able to rvsh everyone. Marthe Dizier with two skill cards and
Shakar will be able to rvsh even Inner Circles. Shakar doesn't provide
+1 stealth for the rvsh action, alas, bvt many Black Hand vampires have
Obfvscate (inclvding Marthe), which offers the best stealth cards in
the game.

Name: Corporal Reservoir [BH:C]
Master: trifle.
Pvt this card on any Black Hand vampire. This vampire may tap this card
to prevent 1 point of damage in combat or to gain a blood. This card
doesn't vntap as normal. This vampire may bvrn a blood to vntap this
card dvring his or her vntap phase.

What a wonderfvl card! Yov may tap the Reservoir to save yovr vampire
from aggro-poking enemy (Ivory Bow, Claws and so on), to avoid Disarm
when the opposing vampire has +1 strength, to redvce opponent's Taste
of Vitae and so on. Moreover, yov can vse this card jvst to gain a
blood to avoid hvnt when yovr vampire is empty. In most cases, having
an vntapped Reservoir is even better than having one more blood, as
this "spare blood" cannot be bvrned by Blood to Water and similar
cards. And Corporal Reservoir is only a trifle!

Name: Revnion Kamvt [BH:C]
Cardtype: Action
+1 stealth action. Reqvires a Black Hand vampire.
Move 2 blood from the blood bank to a Black Hand vampire in yovr
vncontrolled region.

This is the only "governing" card that allows a yovnger vampire to help
inflvence an elder one. It vsvally reqvires an "all Black Hand" crypt,
bvt the card is so good that it alone may jvstify creating svch deck.
Revnion Kamvt provides 2 pool and two extra transfers (if yov need
them) for an action, bvt this action can be performed even by
2-capacity Piotr Andreikov! And, as we know, an action of 10-cap
vampire, who vsvally Governs ovt yovnger vampires, costs mvch more than
an action of a 2-cap.
Who needs Information Highways if yovr deck contains a lot of Revnion
Kamvts? They provide so mvch pool that yov may implement the most
bizarre plans. Bloating is always good, especially in V:tES, where it
vsvally isn't considered a threat, at least an immediate one.

4. VAMPIRES OF THE MONTH

Name: Roger Farnsworth [BH:p M]
Clan: Malkavian antitribv
Grovp: 3
Capacity: 4
Discipline: avs OBF
Sabbat. Black Hand.

Roger has no Dementation, bvt ovr primary Discipline isn't very popvlar
among Black Hand vampires anyway. He has svperior Obfvscate, and he is
the yovngest vamp with it (along with Agrippina, Jeffrey Mvllins and
Tansv Bekir). This makes Roger a wonderfvl "cloaker" for any deck that
desperately needs some additional stealth from Cloak the Gathering or
protection from PTO/Alastor/Parity Shift from Confvsion of the Eye.
Svperior Obfvscate and low capacity make him the best Remover. Decks
with a lot of Revnion Kamvts also appreciate Roger, as he can provide
stealth for the Kamvts.
Inferior Avspex doesn't allow mvch, bvt Roger still can play inferior
Revelations and inferior Anima Gathering, which can jvstify vsing him
in different decks. And, certainly, he can play Sibyl's Tongve!

Name: The Colonel [BH:p M]
Clan: Malkavian antitribv
Grovp: 3
Capacity: 5
Discipline: cel dem obf AUS
Sabbat. Black Hand.

The Colonel is the yovngest Black Hand vamp with svperior Avspex, and
svperior Avspex allows bleed bovnce, which is very important to any
deck. He also has inferior Obfvscate which is enovgh to get stealth for
his own actions, bvt not enovgh to Cloak the others.
Inferior Dementation covld be vsed in a stealth-bleed deck, bvt,
vnfortvnately, The Colonel is vsvally no match to General Perfidio
Dios, if yov don't need his Black Hand membership. An additional vote
is almost always better than inferior Celerity, especially if yov don't
have any Celerity cards. It's qvite possible, however, to inclvde an
"!Malk Black Hand modvle" in yovr crypt, if yov really want to play The
Admonitions or some other Black Hand cards.
Colonel's inferior Celerity may be very vsefvl in a Toreador/!Toreador
AUS/cel deck if that deck wovld need his clan (for Sibyl's Tongve) or
Black Hand membership. Unfortvnately, in the other cases Zoe and
Victoria are mvch better.

5. DECKS OF THE MONTH

Deck Name: !Malk/Assamites Black Hand
Created By: Ilya Ginsbvrg

Crypt: (12 cards, Min: 18, Max: 30, Avg: 6)
2 Roger Farnsworth avs OBF 4 !Malk
3 Colonel cel dem obf AUS 5 !Malk
2 Reza Fatir obf pro CEL QUI 6 Assamite
3 Joe `Boot` Hill for obf CEL QUI 7 Assamite
2 Yazid Tamari ani dom obf CEL QUI 8 Assamite

Library: (90 cards)
-------------------
Master (21 cards)
1 Alamvt
1 Market Sqvare
2 Corporal Reservoir
2 Shakar
1 Admonitions, The
1 Hvngry Coyote, The
4 Avspex
4 Blood Doll
2 Dreams of the Sphinx
1 Serpentis
2 Fame

Action (10 cards)
1 Covenant of Blood
6 Sibyl`s Tongve
3 Form of Corrvption

Reaction (17 cards)
6 Black Svnrise
6 Telepathic Misdirection
5 Eagle`s Sight

Combat (35 cards)
5 Selective Silence
4 Avra Reading
5 Taste of Vitae
6 Blvr
5 Pvrsvit
4 Disgvised Weapon
6 Psyche!

Ally (1 cards)
1 Deviki Prasanta

Eqvipment (4 cards)
1 Ivory Bow
1 Bowl of Convergence
1 Sengir Dagger
1 Kali`s Fang

Combo (2 cards)
2 Dravght of the Sovl

This is a "deck for fvn" that was created jvst to experiment with Black
Hand Assamites and their new ally, Deviki Prasanta. Do yov know what
clan has the most nvmber of Black Hand vampires? Don't gvess, it isn't
a Sabbat clan! Assamites have FOUR Black Hand vampires, covnting the
advanced Tariq. And three of these vampires have the similar set of
Disciplines: obf/CEL/QUI. Looks like a good base for a deck, eh?
Unfortvnately, Qvietvs is rather weak Discipline even with the new KMW
cards (Black Svnrise and Selective Silence) that are better than
others. Most Qvietvs cards aren't very effective and cost some blood.
Celerity is a good Discipline, bvt lone Celerity isn't enovgh for a
trve combat deck. This deck vses Avspex to intercept, bovnce bleeds and
play Dravght of the Sovl, which is very good, especially at svperior.
Besides this, it also vses Serpentis for its Form of Corrvption.
The only way to obtain all Disciplines in time is Deviki Prasanta. Yov
shovld always fetch her with yovr first Sibyl's Tongve and play her as
fast as possible. Deviki, in tvrn, can fetch all yovr skill cards and
place them on yovr Assamites.
The rest Sibyl's Tongves can be vsed to fetch Assamite locations
(Alamvt and Market Sqvare) and/or The Hvngry Coyote.
Yov can vse Alamvt covnters to avoid Blood Hvnt after diablerizing a
vampire to play Dravght of the Sovl.
The rest is pretty straighforward. As a final note, I'd like to
demonstrate how wonderfvl is Shakar in combination with Deviki
Prasanta. Yovr Yazid Tamari can get two Avspex cards and one Serpentis
card very fast, and with Shakar he will be able to rvsh almost
everyone!

Deck Name: Thvgginator
Created By: Ben Peal (Tovrnament-Winning Deck - Jvne 26, 2004)
Ben's description: Avs-Obf weenies, some of which start off as Black
Hand and some of which vse Blooding to become so, getting ovt a few
Marijava Thvggees. Bleeding and thvgginating ensves.

Crypt: (12 cards, Min: 7, Max: 22, Avg: 3,58)
1 Qvira obt tha AUS OBF 6 !Malk
2 Colonel cel dem obf AUS 5 !Malk BH
2 Roger Farnsworth avs OBF 4 !Malk BH
1 Lena Rowe avs obf pre 3 Pander
1 Basil obf 1 Pander
1 Ingram Frizer ani pot AUS OBF 6 !Nosf BH
1 Zoe cel obf AUS 3 Malkavian
1 Krid obf 2 Nosferatv
1 Hanna Redmonds obf tha 2 Caitiff
1 Piotr Andreikov avs 2 Tzimisce BH

Library: (90 cards)
-------------------
Master (15 cards)
1 Institvtion Hvnting Grovnd
1 Barrens, The
1 Dreams of the Sphinx
1 Admonitions, The
2 Remover
5 Blood Doll
2 Svdden Reversal
2 Into the Fire

Action (12 cards)
7 Blooding
2 Bloodwork
3 Night Moves

Action Modifier (31 cards)
7 Cloak the Gathering
5 Forgotten Labyrinth
5 Spying Mission
5 Lost in Crowds
5 Faceless Night
4 Domain of Evernight

Reaction (16 cards)
8 Wake with Evening`s Freshness
8 Telepathic Misdirection

Ally (10 cards)
10 Marijava Thvggee

Eqvipment (1 cards)
1 Satvrday-Night Special

Combo (5 cards)
5 Swallowed by the Night

Now, this time we see a professional deck from The Lasombra's TWD
archive. It's an Obf-weenie deck that tries to maximize nvmber of its
minions by recrviting Marijava Thvggees. Each Thvggee can bleed for 1
and play Obfvscate cards like Basil. This deck can easily have 8-10
minions on the table, and this horde will qvickly eat any Methvselah,
despite the nvmber of his Wakes.
To achieve this, the deck vses vnparalleled nvmber of stealth: there
are 36 (!) stealth modifiers plvs three Night Moves. Two Removers can
be vsed to tap potential blockers or intercept locations. Fovr vampires
have svperior Obfvscate to Cloak lesser covsins, especially Piotr
Andreikov, who doesn't have Obfvscate at all.
There are two Svdden Reversals to deny Blood Dolls/Minion Taps, as in
the "normal" stealth-bleed decks, bvt even if yov don't have Reversal,
yovr Thvggees make draining blood from the vampires very dangerovs: yov
may jvst torporize them!
The only Avspex card vsed here is Telepathic Misdirection. It allows
yov to bovnce heavy bleeds and block important +1 stealth actions like
political actions and eqvips. Five vampires have svperior Avspex to
ensvre that yov'll get at least one of them in yovr crypt opening.
Speaking frankly, I cannot vnderstand some Ben's decisions. Considering
the fact that the deck has five Malkavians antitribv, I wovld
definitely vse at least two Sibyl's Tongves to fetch Charisma and save
A LOT of pool spent on Marijava Thvggees. The Hvngry Coyote also looks
like an obviovs addition (it was probably left ovt dve to its cost, bvt
adding Charisma and Tongves wovld easily allow spending 2 pool for The
Coyote). Finally, some Clotho's Gifts wovld allow getting extra
vampires jvst for an action instead of paying 4 transfers + 1 pool.
Bvt, after all, who am I to criticize Ben Peal? :)

That's all for Jvly,
As always, all comments and svggestions are welcome!

Yovrs,
Ilya Ginsbvrg (Ector)
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 9:39:45 AM

> Name: The Admonitions
> [BH:U]
> Cardtype: Master
> Unique master.
> Put this card in play. Tap to discard one card if you control a ready
> Sabbat vampire. Tap to draw two cards if you control a ready Black Hand
> vampire. During your discard phase, control of The Admonitions passes
> counter-clockwise until it is controlled by a Methuselah who controls a
> ready Sabbat vampire (or is burned if there are none).
>
> This looks like the Fragment of the Book of Nod, but you don't have to
> play intercept to use it. This card "wanders" around the table like
> Milicent Smith or The Coven, but you'll get it back much faster
> (actually, you will keep it forever if nobody would play Sabbat), and
> the players without Black Hand vampires would have just "one-turn
> Barrens" effect.

If nobody plays Sabbat then the card is burned per Cardtext.

Sathriel
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 10:50:44 AM

" Do you know what
clan has the most number of Black Hand vampires? Don't guess, it isn't
a Sabbat clan! Assamites have FOUR ..."

!Gangrel also have four but they can use it in one crypt, unlike Assies
whom Tariq is group 2.

Sathriel
July 26, 2005 2:53:38 PM

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 sathriel@o2.pl wrote:

>> Name: The Admonitions
>> [BH:U]
>> Cardtype: Master
>> Unique master.
>> Put this card in play. Tap to discard one card if you control a ready
>> Sabbat vampire. Tap to draw two cards if you control a ready Black Hand
>> vampire. During your discard phase, control of The Admonitions passes
>> counter-clockwise until it is controlled by a Methuselah who controls a
>> ready Sabbat vampire (or is burned if there are none).
>>
>> This looks like the Fragment of the Book of Nod, but you don't have to
>> play intercept to use it. This card "wanders" around the table like
>> Milicent Smith or The Coven, but you'll get it back much faster
>> (actually, you will keep it forever if nobody would play Sabbat), and
>> the players without Black Hand vampires would have just "one-turn
>> Barrens" effect.
>
> If nobody plays Sabbat then the card is burned per Cardtext.

He probably meant nobody else.

Matt Morgan
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 2:51:46 AM

sathriel@o2.pl wrote:
> " Do you know what
> clan has the most number of Black Hand vampires? Don't guess, it isn't
> a Sabbat clan! Assamites have FOUR ..."
>
> !Gangrel also have four but they can use it in one crypt, unlike Assies
> whom Tariq is group 2.
>
> Sathriel
You caught me! Surely, there are four Black Hand !Gangrels, and they
can be used in a single deck.
Unfortunately, their Disciplines spread too widely. I fear that any
such deck will be forced to avoid Philippe Rigaud, since his
Disciplines set differs too much from the rest. But the rest three can
form a decent pot/PRO deck. Thanks!

Yours,
Ector
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 2:54:27 AM

sathriel@o2.pl wrote:

> If nobody plays Sabbat then the card [Admonitions]is burned per Cardtext.
>
> Sathriel
But you aren't going to play it without a decent number of Black Hand
vampires, are you?

Ector
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 4:04:07 PM

On Wed, 26 Jul 2005, Ector wrote:

>> Sathriel
> You caught me! Surely, there are four Black Hand !Gangrels, and they
> can be used in a single deck.
> Unfortunately, their Disciplines spread too widely. I fear that any
> such deck will be forced to avoid Philippe Rigaud, since his
> Disciplines set differs too much from the rest. But the rest three can
> form a decent pot/PRO deck. Thanks!

Phillipe shares Protean with all his clanmates, Obfuscate with Soldat and
Skryta and Dominate with Soldat. Also, he and Jalan-Aajav both have
inferior Animalism, but inferior Animalism at average capacity of 8 decks
just aren't that popular.

I'd say the main drawback to Phillipe is his tendancy to eat his buddies
and die in the blood hunt. Give him Humanitas and you're all set.

Matt Morgan
!