Quadro vs GeForce (again)

svol

Champion
Ok this may probably sound as a stupid question, but I'm not really into the Quadro graphiccards side.

But is there any advantage for a gamer to software mod his GeForce2 MX into a Quadro 2 and his GeForce4 TI4200 into a Quadro4? Or are the advantages strictly in the professional 3D graphics building applications?

Thanks in advance.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
There ain't no point in it, you may even lose a few 3d mark points (I know for some that's the end of life). It makes your card more openlgl specific and there are options to shift resources so they accomodate a specific pro 3d app better (like 3d s max or Maya). Nofin for games tho.

Hilbert space is a big place.

Flame, since we're on this do you think there would be any gaming advantage (say I've got far too much money and would like to do a gv't sponsored bit o' research, just 'say') in taking a FireGL X1 256 and somehow flashing it to a 9800. Would you get the advanatges in AA/AF at higher res. or would it cripple the card because there are no 9800-256s out there yet to get bios/memory control from?
Just curious it would be aninteresting proposal/tax write-off (if it m-el-ted).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red> :tongue: GA to SK

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
he's an nVidia guy, you might be asking the wrong preson about that firegl

<A HREF="http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/ayb2.swf" target="_new">411 UR 84$E R 8E10NG 2 U$</A>

True, just there isn't a 256mb QuadroFX (that I've seen). So I was just wondering.
More about the theory than anything.

Actually I just checked and I don't see ANY recent quadros with 256 mb.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red> :tongue: GA to SK<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 05/03/03 10:58 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
I read on the Inquirer today of a mention of a possible 256mb twin VPU 9800 thats supports 128mb per VPU...probably a rumor of a suspected rumor....

<font color=red>My score would be better</font color=red> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6258104" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6258104</A><font color=red> if I was Dutch!</font color=red>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Hmmm, interesting proposal. Scratching my head and thinking what would happen...seems to me that if it sends the same pci id as a 9800 pro w/ 128mb memory, things may get a lil confusing to it. I think there may be a chance that it'll see it as a 256mb card, tho you may suffer a small performance hit simply because the drivers aren't made for it and not working at full potential. Beware of flashing it to some pci id which has not been made before (as the case w/ Ti4800(SE)-> Quadro 900/980XGL before Unwinder fixed the issue). I'll ask a few guys and see what they think and get back to you hopefully with a more confident answer.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
O, and the other thing is that the Direct3D performance hit is not so bad with a pro card made for ogl anyways, so it'd run pretty damn fast as a fireglx1 anyway. If u guys wanna buy me one, I'll try it:)

Hilbert space is a big place.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by flamethrower205 on 05/03/03 04:03 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

svol

Champion
Ok... then I revert my GeForce2 MX back again (although I didn't loose any benchmark points). I though it might give some extra performance in OpenGL games like Q3A.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

eden

Champion
Actually most of us are wondering as well how the gaming performance is, of the new cards like the FX 2000.

Additionally, weren't you the one who touted the 700 frames per second your Quadro achieves in CS? So how can you say that the card does not do better in gaming?

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 05/04/03 05:18 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I was thinking in d3d sense only- it seems to be the primary focus nowadays. In opengl, sure you'll gain something. In terms of the performance of the fx2000- you'll notice that geforce fx does really well in opengl, and the quadro is crazy compared to the competition. Since they are rather similar, I wouldn't expect a better performance in d3d at all, in ogl maybe if u kept the quadro drivers, but then again the gamer cards are clocked higher.