Help me with gforce4 ti 4200 with agp 8x

NetWalker2010

Distinguished
May 3, 2003
I've a Gforce4 ti 4200 with AGP 8x 128DDR and I've a problem.
When I switch agp 8x on, and I load a game, 3D Studio, or any program that use Direct3D or OpenGL,
the monitor and the sound and Windows XP goes down, and I must restart the machine in order to
continue using it. If the current velocity of agp is 4x, the system works perfectly. I'd like
to know what is the problem, because I've tried everything. I've updated the graphics card drivers,
the motherboard bios version, the agp controller driver and the problem continues. Please answer me
with solutions.

My machine is:
- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-7VAXP with F11 bios version (it supports agp 8x).
- Proccessor AMD Athlon XP 1800@2200
- 1 Gb RAM DDR memory at 266 mhz.
- 80 Gb HD.
- Windows XP Service Pack 1, and updated to last version.
- Xpert Vision Gforce4 Ti 4200 with agp 8x 128 DDR.

My system is acconditionated with new fans, so I don't think that problem could be hot.
Please help me.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Lol. OK, well, if youve already updated your bios, and the agp drivers, theres not much left that i could tell you to do. First you could try reinstalling windows. Also try the nVidia detonator 41.09s (if you are using 43.xx, some people have had problems with those).

Even if you arent able to remedy the problem, its no biggy, since you dont really have much of a problem.
The performance difference between 4x and 8x agp (the "velocity" as you like to call it) is negligible in todays environment. Point being: you wont notice a difference!

Long live ATI.

NetWalker2010

Distinguished
May 3, 2003
Well, I have reinstalled Windows XP and the problem is not solved. I've tried with your detonator and I can't switch to agp 8x. So I think that probably the graphics card is breaked. Thanks for your answer.

customvinnie

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
Well first of all you are overclocking cpu in which means everything is being overclock like video, hard drive etc. At 4x 66mhz agb bus is ok but at 8x 66mhz may not be good in your case. So I suggest to clock your system normal then try 8x to determine if your system dont like the overclocked 8x agp bus.....Hope this helps

4800se score - <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6423402" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6423402</A>