100% confused, please clear up!

dinkster9

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2001
I don't understand. I'm totally confused. Someone please clear up this madness for me. Why is everyone going on and pre ordering the 9600pro and going crazy over the fact that they are coming out?!?. preorder forover 200 bucks? wtf, i keep reading post after post how people can't wait to get one of these. Does anyone read the reviews? Toms hardware guide states "From the consumer's perspective, the newcomer(9500 PRO) is a step backwards, though, considering the better overall performance of the "old" 9500 PRO.

You can pick up a 9500 pro for 160usd, you can puckup a 9700pro for 250usd, so why, why are people going nuts over the 9600pro its way less of a card, they cut the pipline down to 4 from 8, the took out a 1/4 of the transistors, the only thing they did was up the clock speed a bit (but we could do that ourselves). It performs slower than the 9500pro many of the benchmarks.

The 9500pro is a 9700pro with a few things disabled, so what's the beef with getting a watered down (9600) card instead of one of those?!?!?!?. The only thing i can think of is that its going to be well under 100 bucks?!?!?!?!?!?

Am i going nutts here, wtf is going on?

"sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick"
*grabs a stick and places it into the flames* mmmm, smores

CasualCat2001

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
For me to feel comfortable running the 9500pro or higher I would want to go out and buy a new power supply and case.
So total cost, the 9600 pro is cheaper for me, while still being an excellent card...

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
As far as 9600 vs. 9500 pro there are plenty of legitament reasons why someone would prefer one over the other (either one!). but yeah, for 200 (or more), i would just get a 9700 pro (even if i had to save up a little more).

Long live ATI.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The R9600Pro is far cooler and it overclocks far higher than the R9500Pro. However, at the end of the day (after you're done your overclocking of either card :wink: ), the R9600Pro and R9500 are roughly equal depending on the benchmark. The R9600Pro will cost slightly less than the R9500Pro. The $160 US R9500Pro is probably an OEM card vs. the $200 retail card. Besides, the R9600Pro makes better use of its bandwidth and has some of the R350 enhancements. So, effectively, neither card is better than the other and it's all a matter of opinion or preference which you choose.

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

Thank you AMD, exactly what I would have said.

For people like Casual and myself, it's the best Graphics card that doesn't require a power connector (outside of the AGP) and it doesn't produce as much heat.

It's still an advanced card, and may show some additional potential when the HSF is removed and replaced with a larger one, but who knows yet. No one has risked the Freezer yet, fo a benchmarking test.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red> :tongue: GA to SK