Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 Pro and dual booting xp

Last response: in Windows 7
June 12, 2010 2:31:37 PM

If I get Windows 7 Pro is there a way to use xpm to dual boot (that way I play all the old as games I have) or do I HAVE to use the virtual version only?

sorry if this is a stupid question but I can't find any answers around
a b $ Windows 7
June 12, 2010 2:43:22 PM

You can dual boot XP and Win7 on the same machine. If XP is already installed (or installed first as a clean install) and you then install Win7 on another HDD or on a separate primary partition of the existing HDD, Win7 will add XP to its bootloader. The result is that after POST, you will see a screen that lets you choose which OS to boot.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 12, 2010 2:48:52 PM

If you already have XP installed, it's easy to do as long as you have a second NTFS partition or a drive to install it on. If you don't have XP installed do it now before you install W7.
Set bios to boot first from the dvd drive, insert W7 dvd and choose custom install, you can use disk tools to delete or create partitions if needed, if the space you are going to use is FAT32 you will need to delete the partition and create a new one and quick format or leave it and continue the instalation and Windows will do it.
When it's finished installing it will create a boot menu for you.
You will probably need to take ownership of any files and folders in XP that you need to access from W7.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
June 12, 2010 2:52:11 PM

treefrog07 said:
You can dual boot XP and Win7 on the same machine. If XP is already installed (or installed first as a clean install) and you then install Win7 on another HDD or on a separate primary partition of the existing HDD, Win7 will add XP to its bootloader. The result is that after POST, you will see a screen that lets you choose which OS to boot.

You got in first while I was typing, I'm a bit slow at it, but I'm 70 so I'm entitled.
m
l
June 13, 2010 3:48:05 AM

But is there a way to actually get a version of xp from 7 pro that I can use to dual-boot?
(as in on a clean system - no OS - can I use win7 pro to put both xp and 7 pro on the computer using dual-boot?)
m
l

Best solution

a c 215 $ Windows 7
June 13, 2010 4:13:40 AM

Are you referring to dual booting with a Windows Virtual PC .vhd file? More specifically, the Windows XP Mode .vhd file? If so, you're out of luck. Not only are Windows 7 Enterprise and Ultimate the only SKU's of Windows 7 that support this, but you can only boot from a .vhd file containing a copy of Windows 7 or Windows Vista. You will have to use Windows XP Mode virtually if you want to use it at all.
June 13, 2010 4:17:36 AM

so... in short, I need Ultimate to do anything like it and even if I have Ultimate then it's difficult/impossible anyway?

hmm.. ok. So what's the purpose of getting Pro then if you're not a business?
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
June 13, 2010 4:52:57 AM

The 2 biggest reasons as far as Windows 7 features goes, would be backing up to a network location, and (in your case) a license for Windows XP Mode. Home Premium doesn't have these (as well as a few other features that are more business oriented).

If you really want to dual boot with Windows XP, buy a copy of XP (if you don't already have one) and set up a dual boot as treefrog suggested and jonmor elaborated on (note both responses though, depending on your current hardware setup).
m
l
June 13, 2010 5:19:35 AM

alright, thanks guys :) 
m
l
June 13, 2010 5:22:10 AM

Best answer selected by Mark Heath.
m
l
!