Variant - VP Format by the San Francisco Bay Area V:TES pl..

http://www.thelasombra.com/variants/VP_Format.txt

Format name: "VP"

Concept: Casual league format open to any players with VP decks
as an alternative to normal constructed play.

Rules: Start with any one of the preconstructed starters. You may
add up to 10 library cards and up to 2 crypt cards to your initial
card universe. The 2 crypt cards must be different from each other
and from any of the crypt cards that come in your precon (grouping
rule is ignored). The 10 library cards must be different from each
other and from any card printed in *any* precon; a list of all cards
printed in the precons is available at
http://www.thelasombra.com/lists/fixed_rarity.txt.
Promo cards are okay to use.

In building your deck, the library must be 40-90 cards and the crypt
must have at least 8 cards.

When playing a VP game, every player must play a VP deck. At the
beginning of the game, before drawing cards from the library, each
player antes face down the top card of her library. A player may
always look at her own ante but not at anyone else's. When a player
is ousted, that player's ante card is revealed. After the game, a
player who ousts another player has three options for increasing the
size of her universe: she may add a crypt card from her own
collection to her universe using the same rules as above; she
may add a copy from her own collection of the card that was up for
ante; she may add a library card that does not match any card
currently in her universe or a card printed in any precon. The cards
up for ante are never lost - VP decks never lose cards from their
universes.

A good way to track changes to a particular VP deck is to use a 3x5
card, name the deck, and note the specific cards added to the
universe, if any, for each game. Deck universe contents are on an
honor system. Decks only get stronger, continuously evolving along
personal tastes, but still with some limitations. A deck can be
retired at any time. There's no limit to how many VP decks a player
can have.

All of the ante cards - Cunctator Motion, High Stakes, Playing for
Keeps - are legal. Cunctator Motion is the only way that a player can
look at another player's ante card. A successful referendum (and only
a successful referendum) allows the player to look at all of the ante
cards and rearrange who antes which; the ante cards still return
to the cards' respective owners.

Designers: San Francisco Bay Area V:TES players.

For rulings: Send an e-mail to Ian Lee at curevei // at // aol.com.

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, The Lasombra wrote:

> After the game, a
> player who ousts another player has three options for increasing the
> size of her universe: she may add a crypt card from her own
> collection to her universe using the same rules as above; she
> may add a copy from her own collection of the card that was up for
> ante; she may add a library card that does not match any card
> currently in her universe or a card printed in any precon.

If you are the last person standing, or if you successfully
withdraw, are you considered to have "won" your own ante card for purposes
of the above? If not, why not?

Marc G.

Marc Gabriele wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, The Lasombra wrote:
>
> > After the game, a
> > player who ousts another player has three options for increasing the
> > size of her universe: she may add a crypt card from her own
> > collection to her universe using the same rules as above; she
> > may add a copy from her own collection of the card that was up for
> > ante; she may add a library card that does not match any card
> > currently in her universe or a card printed in any precon.
>
> If you are the last person standing, or if you successfully
> withdraw, are you considered to have "won" your own ante card for purposes
> of the above? If not, why not?
>
> Marc G.

If you played with standard ante, where anted cards are actually lost,
you would get no benefit from being last person standing or
withdrawing, you would simply keep your card.

Some might consider anted cards to be part of a pot and not really your
own card at all. In this case it would seem that one ought to be able
to gain another card of the type they anted.

However, VP was designed to be a slowly evolving format, not a rush to
tighten and streamline decks. That is to say, adding up to 5 cards to
your universe over the course of a single game is pretty strong indeed.
It is suprising to see how many very strong cards have not been
reprinted in starters so there really is little need for "doubling up"
in your own library.

Jeff

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 jeffkuta@pacbell.net wrote:

> However, VP was designed to be a slowly evolving format, not a rush to
> tighten and streamline decks. That is to say, adding up to 5 cards to
> your universe over the course of a single game is pretty strong indeed.
> It is suprising to see how many very strong cards have not been
> reprinted in starters so there really is little need for "doubling up"
> in your own library.

Hmm. I was thinking about there being a disconnect between VPs and
cards awarded, and wondering if that would lead to odd gameplay behavior,
but then again, there can't be a perfect correlation since timeouts are
always possible, and you can't award someone half a card. So, yeah, sounds
good.

Marc G.