Sign in with
Your question

How to tell when a Graphics Card is FRIED

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 5, 2003 6:13:33 PM

Not long ago, the cooling fan on my GeForce2 MX400 card stopped for a moment when a wire pressed against the blades. It got pretty darn hot but still seems to work fine. One peculiar thing is that (and it may just be coincidental) is that ever since then, my USB devices seem to lock up randomly whenever I now run a graphics intense program or game.
Any ideas? Is there any software out there to TEST an Nvidia card or the chips on it?

Thanks

More about : graphics card fried

May 5, 2003 6:49:09 PM

You could try the DirectX diagnostics and see if it locks up.

Doesn't sound like something a bad video card would cause... but who knows?
a b U Graphics card
May 5, 2003 7:50:14 PM

I think Willamette_S.. uses his tongue.

No, wait that's a monitor test!

Sorry, disregard that. :tongue:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red> :tongue: GA to SK
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 5, 2003 7:59:06 PM

Ok, Seriously;

Actually if USB is going at the same time sounds like a MOBO issue, but the AGP is usually on the North bridge, and the USB on the South. Just seems weird.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red> :tongue: GA to SK
May 5, 2003 11:41:06 PM

what other hardware are you running?
May 6, 2003 4:59:27 AM

LOL Grape!
Thanks for the plug though:) 

Hell yeah though, you could use your tongue!

Now, on your vid card, look for the voltage regulator... yeah yeah, thats it... now see those two contact points just south of it? yeah yeah, now just... wait ill show you... BZZZ BZZZZZZZZ! POP POP POP!!! BANG!

nm, dont try that one:( 

Long live ATI.
May 6, 2003 5:43:27 AM

If your card smells like a mixture of burning pepto bismol and burning flesh then its fried.

Dont think its you card though.

Suspect mobo.

-=[ I was walking through the forest the other day and a tree fell behind me. I didn't hear a thing... Does that answer your question? ]=-
November 19, 2010 8:19:00 PM

is there any way you can revive a fried graphics card? I have one:( , it looks fine!
!