Max.Drives on 200W Power Supply Unit

Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension V450 with a 200W power supply.

I presently have 2 hard drives and 1 cd-rw connected to it. I would like to
know whether I can add another hard drive without changing the power supply.

I checked on the net and it seems it should work fine.

any help with this would be great.

Sincerely,

PvS

Dell power supplies are rated on their average output rather than the
peak output as other manufacturers do. So a 200w PSU will handle more
than you think. On my XPS T system I've got 3 hard drives, 2 CD
drives along with extra cooling fans on the processor and graphics
cards. I've had this setup for the last several years and never had a
power supply related problem.

"Pawan" wrote:

> I have a Dell Dimension V450 with a 200W power supply.
>
> I presently have 2 hard drives and 1 cd-rw connected to it.
> I would like to know whether I can add another hard drive
> without changing the power supply.
>
> I checked on the net and it seems it should work fine.
>
> any help with this would be great.

I have a Dimension XPS450 (circa Jan '99), and I
have floppy, Zip, DVD(read)/CD(read/write) drives
and 3 hard drives plus a fan on the 3rd hard drive.
No power problems. If you want a tiny bit of insurance
against power supply overheating, you can snip away
the grating over the power supply fan to slightly increase
the airflow. Keeping the fan blades clean of dust also
helps.

*TimDaniels*

Running LOTS more on my 8200 (Dell rated 250 watt supply)
Total of 6 hard drives on the board (2 on original board and 4 on a
promise controller), 9800Pro video, SoundBlaster audio, USR modem,
USB2.0 card, two USB hubs, one with a port powered HD, card reader,
scanner, and tablet, the other has the printer, mouse, joystick and
camera. Then add in a DVD R/W and the CR R/W, and an Eagle drive (hot
swappable IDE frame). 1 Slot fan cooler and a booster exhaust fan. Not a
single power related problem.

--
Steve