Tungsten T3

June 28, 2005 9:01:16 PM

What app (if any) would I need to receive and send (non palm pilot) files
between my T3 and a Windows PC with an infra red port?
Not interested in looking at the files on the T3, just in using it(the SD
card really) as a transport device.

TIA
--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

More about : tungsten

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 9:32:45 PM

[ I should have put a better subject line on the original message]

"Tumbleweed" <thisaccountneverread@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What app (if any) would I need to receive and send (non palm pilot) files
> between my T3 and a Windows PC with an infra red port?
> Not interested in looking at the files on the T3, just in using it(the SD
> card really) as a transport device.
>
> TIA
> --
> Tumbleweed
>
> email replies not necessary but to contact use;
> tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

June 29, 2005 12:26:56 AM

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:32:45 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
<thisaccountneverread@yahoo.com> wrote:

>[ I should have put a better subject line on the original message]
>
>"Tumbleweed" <thisaccountneverread@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> What app (if any) would I need to receive and send (non palm pilot) files
>> between my T3 and a Windows PC with an infra red port?
>> Not interested in looking at the files on the T3, just in using it(the SD
>> card really) as a transport device.
>>
>> TIA
>> --
>> Tumbleweed
>>
>> email replies not necessary but to contact use;
>> tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Considering the low speed of most IR transfers, you probably don't
want to do this. You can get a USB SD card reader/writer for as
little as $10 - and it's a LOT faster.
June 29, 2005 8:16:17 AM

On 2005-06-29, John <look@sig.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:32:45 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
><thisaccountneverread@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Not interested in looking at the files on the T3, just in using it(the SD
>>> card really) as a transport device.

> Considering the low speed of most IR transfers, you probably don't
> want to do this. You can get a USB SD card reader/writer for as
> little as $10 - and it's a LOT faster.

Or for $20 or so, there's an adapter that turns your SD card into a "pen
drive", a little USB removable drive.

Technically, it's a card reader of course, but in form factor it's more
reminiscent of the little USB devices that are so ubiquitous now.
--
Carl Fink carl@fink.to
If you attempt to fix something that isn't broken, it will be.

"Carl Fink" <carlf@panix.com> wrote in message
> On 2005-06-29, John <look@sig.net> wrote:

>> Considering the low speed of most IR transfers, you probably don't
>> want to do this. You can get a USB SD card reader/writer for as
>> little as $10 - and it's a LOT faster.
>
> Or for $20 or so, there's an adapter that turns your SD card into a "pen
> drive", a little USB removable drive.
>
> Technically, it's a card reader of course, but in form factor it's more
> reminiscent of the little USB devices that are so ubiquitous now.

Its not for everyday use, just the odd occasion where I have my Palm and it
would be handy to either receive a file or send one. Means I would be
carrying another gizmo with me. Normally I'd use a USB memory stick but
there might not be one handy. I xferred a 1 or 2mb file between 2 PCs in a
few minutes yesterday so speed seemed enough.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 7:14:59 PM

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:32:45 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
<thisaccountneverread@yahoo.com> wrote:

>[ I should have put a better subject line on the original message]
>
>"Tumbleweed" <thisaccountneverread@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> What app (if any) would I need to receive and send (non palm pilot) files
>> between my T3 and a Windows PC with an infra red port?
>> Not interested in looking at the files on the T3, just in using it(the SD
>> card really) as a transport device.
>>
>> TIA
>> --
>> Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed,

This isn't what you were asking for, but here's an alternative you
might consider.

Get Softick's Card Export II <http://www.softick.com/&gt;, and one of
those retractable USB/T3 sync cables, e.g.
<http://www.boxwave.com/products/minisync/index.htm&gt;. Together, they
turn your T3 into a portable USB flash drive that is compatible with
any Windows 2000/XP PC. Just connect it up, and start Card Export, and
your T3's SD card shows up as a USB flash drive on the Windows PC.
I've used this on several PCs, and it works great.

Hope this helps.

Baercat
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 9:41:16 PM

<baercat572.nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:32:45 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
> <thisaccountneverread@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>[ I should have put a better subject line on the original message]
>>
>>"Tumbleweed" <thisaccountneverread@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> What app (if any) would I need to receive and send (non palm pilot)
>>> files
>>> between my T3 and a Windows PC with an infra red port?
>>> Not interested in looking at the files on the T3, just in using it(the
>>> SD
>>> card really) as a transport device.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> --
>>> Tumbleweed
>
> Tumbleweed,
>
> This isn't what you were asking for, but here's an alternative you
> might consider.
>
> Get Softick's Card Export II <http://www.softick.com/&gt;, and one of
> those retractable USB/T3 sync cables, e.g.
> <http://www.boxwave.com/products/minisync/index.htm&gt;. Together, they
> turn your T3 into a portable USB flash drive that is compatible with
> any Windows 2000/XP PC. Just connect it up, and start Card Export, and
> your T3's SD card shows up as a USB flash drive on the Windows PC.
> I've used this on several PCs, and it works great.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Baercat

It does, I have got the cable already :-).
Cheers
--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 11:03:02 PM

> <baercat572.nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:32:45 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
>> <thisaccountneverread@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>[ I should have put a better subject line on the original message]
>>>
>>>"Tumbleweed" <thisaccountneverread@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> Tumbleweed,
>>
>> This isn't what you were asking for, but here's an alternative you
>> might consider.
>>
>> Get Softick's Card Export II <http://www.softick.com/&gt;, and one of
>> those retractable USB/T3 sync cables, e.g.
>> <http://www.boxwave.com/products/minisync/index.htm&gt;. Together, they
>> turn your T3 into a portable USB flash drive that is compatible with
>> any Windows 2000/XP PC. Just connect it up, and start Card Export, and
>> your T3's SD card shows up as a USB flash drive on the Windows PC.
>> I've used this on several PCs, and it works great.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Baercat
>
> It does, I have got the cable already :-).
> Cheers

oooouccchhhhh....... just seen the price ...could buy a decent usb memory
stick for $20 :-(

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 6:04:37 PM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 19:03:02 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
<thisaccountneverread@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Tumbleweed" <thisaccountneverread@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> <baercat572.nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Tumbleweed,
>>>
>>> This isn't what you were asking for, but here's an alternative you
>>> might consider.
>>>
>>> Get Softick's Card Export II <http://www.softick.com/&gt;, and one of
>>> those retractable USB/T3 sync cables, e.g.
>>> <http://www.boxwave.com/products/minisync/index.htm&gt;. Together, they
>>> turn your T3 into a portable USB flash drive that is compatible with
>>> any Windows 2000/XP PC. Just connect it up, and start Card Export, and
>>> your T3's SD card shows up as a USB flash drive on the Windows PC.
>>> I've used this on several PCs, and it works great.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps.
>>>
>>> Baercat
>>
>> It does, I have got the cable already :-).
>> Cheers
>
>oooouccchhhhh....... just seen the price ...could buy a decent usb memory
>stick for $20 :-(

Are you refering to Card Export? I just checked and it's $15 US.
Doesn't seem that high to me. Particularly since it not only lets me
use my T3 as a USB flash drive, but it's also great for transferring
large files (like MP3s and ebooks) to my SD card for use by the Palm.

Still, YMMV.

Baercat
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 12:18:16 AM

> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 19:03:02 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
> <thisaccountneverread@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>"Tumbleweed" <thisaccountneverread@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> <baercat572.nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> It does, I have got the cable already :-).
>>> Cheers
>>
>>oooouccchhhhh....... just seen the price ...could buy a decent usb memory
>>stick for $20 :-(
>
> Are you refering to Card Export? I just checked and it's $15 US.
> Doesn't seem that high to me. Particularly since it not only lets me
> use my T3 as a USB flash drive, but it's also great for transferring
> large files (like MP3s and ebooks) to my SD card for use by the Palm.
>
> Still, YMMV.
>
> Baercat

My bad, I was looking at card export rather than card export II.
--

!