Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 Install - Hangs on Product Key Page (First Start Up)

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
June 12, 2010 4:32:03 PM

So I began my install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (retail version from MS) last night at around 9:30 PM. I disconnected all other drives and reformatted the drive below as my new Primary.

Upon booting to DVD the process seemed to hang several times and take longer than I would have expected. It hung on the initial blue bird screen prior to prompting me the language/country options, then was extremely slow to complete the installation (I finally said screw it and went to bed, woke up this morning and was prompted for a username so guessing it completed everything it needed to last night). After entering my username, etc I get to the Product Key page - enter the key and click Next and it's hanging again... All of the screens are very slow responsive (when I type something into a text field or click Next the computer has to catch up - almost like it's being bogged down some how).

I have had no issues with this hardware as it's been my Vista box for some time now so not really sure its a hardware issue.

I've read numerous threads across the web about hangs and slow installs but most of those threads are from individuals downloading and creating their own ISOs/DVDs/USB Flash installs. Haven't seen many with this problem with Retail media.

Any thoughts?

Right now I'm just waiting it out and hoping once I get through the waiting game and all the prompts that everything will work like it should (although I'm skeptical).

System:
MSI P6N SLI Platinum
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz
CORSAIR XMS2 4GB
XFX PVT73PYDJ3 GeForce 7600GS 512MB
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300 GB SATA
a b $ Windows 7
June 12, 2010 11:16:16 PM

I suggest you start from scratch, boot the W7 dvd, start instalation, choose custom, then disk tools and delete the current partition and create a new one, then continue the instalation.
If you have the full retail version, it would expect a new drive not one that's already formatted, this could have been at least part of the problem.
Watch the prompts and choose not to download updates during instalation, this can sometimes create problems, better still turn the modem off or unplug it.
You can get the updates once it's installed and ready for work.
The instalation should only take about 20 minutes or so.
June 13, 2010 5:48:50 AM

Will give an all new start a try - I did reformat the drive via the W7 utility and allow it to create it's 200mb partition - it still hung getting to that point (15 mins or so between all the prompts. This thing is just funky!

I updated the Bios today as well so maybe that'll help.
!