Create-A-Clan Rules for GenCon 2005?

Last response: in Video Games
August 6, 2005 8:17:12 PM

Can we get the rules for the Sunday, Aug 21st tourney posted or linked to?

Also, will these rules be the same for the WoN Create-A-Clan on Wed, Aug
17th?
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 8:38:13 PM

LSJ wrote:
> UniqueMaster wrote:
> > Can we get the rules for the Sunday, Aug 21st tourney posted or linked to?
>
> http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=cac
>
> > Also, will these rules be the same for the WoN Create-A-Clan on Wed, Aug
> > 17th?
>
> Unknown.

To be honest, I'm not sure who's running the WoN Create-A-Clan on
Wednesday at WoN, but I'll take the reins if nobody else has.

As such, I decree that we use the same rules on Wednesday that we
use on Sunday:

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=cac

- Ben Peal
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 2:58:35 AM

UniqueMaster wrote:
> Can we get the rules for the Sunday, Aug 21st tourney posted or linked to?

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=cac

> Also, will these rules be the same for the WoN Create-A-Clan on Wed, Aug
> 17th?

Unknown.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/
August 7, 2005 4:13:46 AM

While reviewing the rules, I came across this:

Keep the names clean. Vampires (and other cards) with offensive or vulgar
names, as determined soley by the discretion of the judge, will be burned
upon entering play just as if the vampire (or other card) would
self-contest.

I guess I have to leave my Ass-Fisted Rimjobbers clan at home.

--
Mike Ooi
"You have left the world. Click to continue."

Wes wrote:
> "LSJ" <vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com> wrote in message
> > UniqueMaster wrote:
> >> Can we get the rules for the Sunday, Aug 21st tourney posted or linked
> >> to?
> >
> > http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=cac
>
> Does anyone know if the most current C-a-C rules are implemented at:
>
> http://vtesinla.org/CreateaClan/crd.asp

If they aren't, then I'll put them up tonight! I don't think I copied
the rules directly from WW's page but they look very similar. To be
safe, though, I'll copy from WW's site this evening.

-Robert
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 3:27:48 PM

"LSJ" <vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com> wrote in message
> UniqueMaster wrote:
>> Can we get the rules for the Sunday, Aug 21st tourney posted or
>> linked to?
>
> http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=cac

It looks to me like it's legal to make a crypt that has fewer vampires
from your clan than from your bloodline (since you can make 4 bloodline
vampires and use 2 copies of each if you wish). Is that correct? Or
does this line from the section "The Others" mean that you may have at
most 4 copies of bloodline vampires in your crypt, and not 4 distinct
bloodline vampires? "You may have up to one Caitiff and up to four
vampires from a bloodline you create."

thanks,

Josh

visions of daimoinon dancing in his head
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 3:57:17 PM

Joshua Duffin wrote:
> "LSJ" <vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com> wrote in message
> > UniqueMaster wrote:
> >> Can we get the rules for the Sunday, Aug 21st tourney posted or
> >> linked to?
> >
> > http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=cac
>
> It looks to me like it's legal to make a crypt that has fewer vampires
> from your clan than from your bloodline (since you can make 4 bloodline
> vampires and use 2 copies of each if you wish). Is that correct?

Yes.
Cac text.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 3:59:16 PM

Joshua Duffin wrote:
> First, spoofing a non-hunting-ground library card says to increase the
> cost by one pool, or by one blood if the card costs blood. What if the
> card costs nothing but is a minion card (eg Corruption)? Letter of the
> rule suggests the cost goes to 1 pool, but spirit (to me) implies that
> it should perhaps be 1 blood instead.

1 pool, by letter and spirit.
Cac text.

> Second, if you spoof library cards, do you need to play with your
> library sleeved (so you can put the new picture of the appropriate
> library cards inside the sleeves)? Or can you (a) draw on an unsleeved
> library card, or (b) use a proxy to represent the spoofed library card,
> with a "custom" copy of the card available to substitute if the spoofed
> library card actually gets played?

Either way.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 4:05:33 PM

"LSJ" <vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com> wrote in message
> UniqueMaster wrote:
>> Can we get the rules for the Sunday, Aug 21st tourney posted or
>> linked to?
>
> http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=cac

Whoops, another question about the rules already. Two questions,
actually.

First, spoofing a non-hunting-ground library card says to increase the
cost by one pool, or by one blood if the card costs blood. What if the
card costs nothing but is a minion card (eg Corruption)? Letter of the
rule suggests the cost goes to 1 pool, but spirit (to me) implies that
it should perhaps be 1 blood instead.

Second, if you spoof library cards, do you need to play with your
library sleeved (so you can put the new picture of the appropriate
library cards inside the sleeves)? Or can you (a) draw on an unsleeved
library card, or (b) use a proxy to represent the spoofed library card,
with a "custom" copy of the card available to substitute if the spoofed
library card actually gets played?

thanks again,

Josh

always waiting till the last minute
(well, it's the last minute for me)
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 4:18:00 PM

> > http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=cac

I notice that a Camarilla clan can have only one Justicar and a Sabbat
clan only one Cardinal, but an independent clan may have as many 3-vote
titles as they have 10- and 11-cap vampires. And independent titles
never contest.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 4:29:06 PM

LSJ wrote:
> Joshua Duffin wrote:
> > "LSJ" <vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=cac
> >
> > It looks to me like it's legal to make a crypt that has fewer vampires
> > from your clan than from your bloodline (since you can make 4 bloodline
> > vampires and use 2 copies of each if you wish). Is that correct?
>
> Yes.
> Cac text.

Umm... Just for the sake of clarity, according to the rules:

"You may have up to one Caitiff and up to four vampires from a
bloodline you create."

In the linked rules for the bloodline, it says you may create up to 4
*distinct* vampires (2 for a scarce clan), but the deck construction
rules only say that you can have up to 1 caitiff and 4 bloodlines vamps
- note the lack of the word "distinct". A crypt with all Aurora Van
Brande's in it has 12 vampires (or more), but only 1 distinct vampire.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 6:13:59 PM

Chris Berger wrote:
> LSJ wrote:
> > Joshua Duffin wrote:
> > > "LSJ" <vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com> wrote in message

> > > It looks to me like it's legal to make a crypt that has fewer vampires
> > > from your clan than from your bloodline (since you can make 4 bloodline
> > > vampires and use 2 copies of each if you wish). Is that correct?
> >
> > Yes.
> > Cac text.
>
> Umm... Just for the sake of clarity, according to the rules:
>
> "You may have up to one Caitiff and up to four vampires from a
> bloodline you create."
>
> In the linked rules for the bloodline, it says you may create up to 4
> *distinct* vampires (2 for a scarce clan), but the deck construction
> rules only say that you can have up to 1 caitiff and 4 bloodlines vamps
> - note the lack of the word "distinct". A crypt with all Aurora Van
> Brande's in it has 12 vampires (or more), but only 1 distinct vampire.

The construction rules do not "only" say that you can have up to 1 and
4.

They also say:

"Building the Crypt:
You may only use the vampires you have created.
You must use all of the vampires you have created.
You may have no more than 2 copies of each vampire in your crypt."

The last line, while not explicitly saying 'you may have 2 of each
bloodline vampire', does not explicitly say 'only one of each bloodline
vampire' either.

Also: The bloodline rules start with: "The bloodline is constructed
according to the normal clan rules, but with the following changes..."

The 'normal clan rules' allow up to 2 copies of each vampire, and the
'following changes' do not restrict this 'normal clan' design point.

-John Flournoy
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 1:31:51 AM

Chris Berger wrote:
> LSJ wrote:
>
>>Joshua Duffin wrote:
>>
>>>"LSJ" <vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com> wrote in message

>>>It looks to me like it's legal to make a crypt that has fewer vampires
>>>from your clan than from your bloodline (since you can make 4 bloodline
>>>vampires and use 2 copies of each if you wish). Is that correct?
>>
>>Yes.
>>Cac text.
>

> Umm... Just for the sake of clarity, according to the rules:
>
> "You may have up to one Caitiff and up to four vampires from a
> bloodline you create."
>
> In the linked rules for the bloodline, it says you may create up to 4
> *distinct* vampires (2 for a scarce clan), but the deck construction
> rules only say that you can have up to 1 caitiff and 4 bloodlines vamps
> - note the lack of the word "distinct". A crypt with all Aurora Van
> Brande's in it has 12 vampires (or more), but only 1 distinct vampire.

Context may help, as usual:

"You make a crypt of up to 12 vampires (you may use fewer if you wish to
double-up some of them in your deck)."

Note that your Aurora example is, in that context, 1 vampire 12 times.

Here are the entirety of the deck construction rules:

"You make a crypt of up to 12 vampires (you may use fewer if you wish to
double-up some of them in your deck). Each vampire is designed according to the
rules below, ... When you're done, you build a library from your regular V:TES
cards and a crypt from your custom crypt."

and

"Building the Crypt:
You may only use the vampires you have created.
You must use all of the vampires you have created.
You may have no more than 2 copies of each vampire in your crypt."

The "1 Caitiff and 4 Bloodline vampires" text does not appear there.

It appears under "The Others", which is not a deck construction
section, but among the card design sections.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:05:53 AM

Other doubt, still regarding C-A-C rules. In the section "A la carte
specials", the cost for the item "May steal the Edge from :" is
marked as -1. Isn't wrong?

Marlo - The Iceman
non-CAC Prince of São Paulo
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:51:43 AM

Marlo - The Iceman wrote:
> Other doubt, still regarding C-A-C rules. In the section "A la carte
> specials", the cost for the item "May steal the Edge from :" is
> marked as -1. Isn't wrong?

It is correct.

e.g. The action "Bob may steal the Edge (-1) from any Methuselah (+0.5)
as a +1 stealth (D) action (+1)" costs a total of -1 + 0.5 + 1 = 0.5
points.

The action "Carl may steal the Edge (-1) from your predator (0) as a
(D) action (0)" costs 0 points, since any negative cost is treated as
zero.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 12:32:48 PM

John Flournoy wrote:

> The last line, while not explicitly saying 'you may have 2 of each
> bloodline vampire', does not explicitly say 'only one of each bloodline
> vampire' either.

No it does not. You could have 2 copies of 2.

It doesn't explicitly say that you can have more than 4 *total* copies
of bloodlines vamps in your deck, and seems to me that it explicitly
says otherwise. Since LSJ has ruled on it and answered my concern, I
supposed you really can have a deck with 8 bloodlines vamps and 2
caitiff and only 2 of your main clan (who can be the same 1 vampire - a
clan of 1), but it seemed that the original rules were built to
disallow that, and make you at least *use* your main clan. To me, "you
may have up to 4 bloodlines vampires" and "you may have up to 4
distinct bloodlines vampires", when put together means you can have 2
copies each of 2 different bloodlines vampires (the only way to have 4
vamps from a scarce clan), or 1 copy each of 4 different vampires (or
several other combinations adding to a total of 4).
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 1:04:23 PM

Chris Berger wrote:
> ... I
> supposed you really can have a deck with 8 bloodlines vamps and 2
> caitiff and only 2 of your main clan (who can be the same 1 vampire - a
> clan of 1), but it seemed that the original rules were built to
> disallow that, and make you at least *use* your main clan.

Actually, if you make one of your bloodlines vamps Advanced, I don't
think you have to use your main clan at all.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 1:41:10 PM

Emmit Svenson wrote:
> Chris Berger wrote:
> > ... I
> > supposed you really can have a deck with 8 bloodlines vamps and 2
> > caitiff and only 2 of your main clan (who can be the same 1 vampire - a
> > clan of 1), but it seemed that the original rules were built to
> > disallow that, and make you at least *use* your main clan.
>
> Actually, if you make one of your bloodlines vamps Advanced, I don't
> think you have to use your main clan at all.

Doesn't the Advanced vampire count as a "distinct" vamp from the basic?
If so, you might as well make your main vamp Advanced, have 4 copies
of him and 8 of the bloodline.

Either way, I guess it's a good cheesy way to get a CaC clan with
flight, or with any bloodlines discipline.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 2:03:26 PM

Chris Berger wrote:
> Emmit Svenson wrote:
> > Chris Berger wrote:
> > > ... I
> > > supposed you really can have a deck with 8 bloodlines vamps and 2
> > > caitiff and only 2 of your main clan (who can be the same 1 vampire - a
> > > clan of 1), but it seemed that the original rules were built to
> > > disallow that, and make you at least *use* your main clan.
> >
> > Actually, if you make one of your bloodlines vamps Advanced, I don't
> > think you have to use your main clan at all.
>
> Doesn't the Advanced vampire count as a "distinct" vamp from the basic?
> If so, you might as well make your main vamp Advanced, have 4 copies
> of him and 8 of the bloodline.

He doesn't count as distinct for picking disciplines, or for 'one per
set' issues - but apparently he would count as distinct for 'only 2
vampires can be of the same capacity', since it's not stated that he
doesn't...

> Either way, I guess it's a good cheesy way to get a CaC clan with
> flight, or with any bloodlines discipline.

Agreed.

-John Flournoy
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 12:12:32 PM

LSJ wrote:
> UniqueMaster wrote:
> > Can we get the rules for the Sunday, Aug 21st tourney posted or linked to?
>
> http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=cac
>
> > Also, will these rules be the same for the WoN Create-A-Clan on Wed, Aug
> > 17th?
>
> Unknown.
>
> --
> LSJ (vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep (remove spam trap to reply)
> Links to V:TES news, rules, cards, utilities, and tournament calendar:
> http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

A question. Under the "Disciplines and Capacity" section, one of the
rules is "No two different vampires of 5-cap or less may share the same
superior Discipline. (Whole Set)". Does this include any Bloodline
clan you may choose? e.g. if I have a 3-cap vampire with superior
Necromancy in my main clan, can I have a 3-cap with superior Necromancy
in my Bloodline clan (assuming that Necromancy is the chosen shared
discipline)?

Thanks
Doug
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Portland_VTES/
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 1:06:27 PM

Doug wrote:
> LSJ wrote:
> A question. Under the "Disciplines and Capacity" section, one of the
> rules is "No two different vampires of 5-cap or less may share the same
> superior Discipline. (Whole Set)". Does this include any Bloodline
> clan you may choose? e.g. if I have a 3-cap vampire with superior
> Necromancy in my main clan, can I have a 3-cap with superior Necromancy
> in my Bloodline clan (assuming that Necromancy is the chosen shared
> discipline)?

You cannot. That's why it says 'Whole Set' - the rule applies to your
entire set (Clan/Caitiff/Bloodline), not just the Clan vampires or the
bloodline ones seperately.

> Doug

-John Flournoy
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 2:19:09 AM

I was wondering if we can choose specials that are not listed in the A
La Carte specials? And if so, what would their costs be?

i.e. +1 hand size while in combat (1 point) or This vampire cannot
gain intercept (-1 point).
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 2:00:28 PM

In message <1123996749.293708.196950@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Hoshichie <mikara10@hotmail.com> writes:
>I was wondering if we can choose specials that are not listed in the A
>La Carte specials?

If they're not on the list, you can't choose them.

You might want to suggest other useful specials for a later revision of
the rules, however.

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.

James Coupe wrote:
> You might want to suggest other useful specials for a later revision of
> the rules, however.

1 Point Special: Card Always in Hand. (Minimum capacity 6)

Choose one library card that requires a discipline the vampire
possesses at the superior level. The vampire may gain the effect of
playing that card at the inferior level exactly as if the vampire had
played it from your hand, at the additional cost of one blood. This
special may not be used with a card that enters play.

So, for example, a vampire with FOR could choose Lost in Crowds Always
in Hand and be able to get +1 stealth on an action for the cost of a
blood, after which Lost in Crowds could not be played on that action.
Or take Threats Always in Hand, and gain +1 bleed for a blood, after
which he may not play any other cards to increase the bleed.

Perhaps the special should be limited to once per turn. Freak Drive
Always in Hand would allow a vamp to untap after all successful actions
at the cost of 2 blood, and that sounds really good. So does Immortal
Grapple Always in Hand and Earth Meld Always In Hand. Perhaps a 2-point
special that doesn't cost the extra blood would work too. Some
playtesting would be necessary.
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 6:15:58 PM

Emmit Svenson wrote:

> So, for example, a vampire with FOR could choose Lost in Crowds Always
> in Hand and be able to get +1 stealth on an action for the cost of a
> blood, after which Lost in Crowds could not be played on that action.
> Or take Threats Always in Hand, and gain +1 bleed for a blood, after
> which he may not play any other cards to increase the bleed.

I don't think it's necessary to preclude the card from being played
during the action. But the ability should definitely be limited to
once per turn. 1 blood for +1 stealth once a turn for 1 point is
pretty well balanced, even without precluding Lost in Crowds from being
played. Anyway, you could always pick one of the +1 stealth cards that
you're not using in your deck, like Domain of Evernight.

And actually, with Threats, it wouldn't be necessary balancewise to
prohibit playing more bleed increasers (+1 bleed for 1 blood for 1
point is balanced already), but for consistency (taking *all* of the
text of the card), I suppose you should keep the restriction.

Even Earth Meld isn't ridiculously over the top - 1 blood to end combat
as a strike. Although 1 blood for Flesh of Marble every combat could
get abusive - at least it couldn't prevent agg, but still... Other
than that, I can't think of anything that's especially abusive.
Immortal Grapple is nice, but you're still burning a blood, and it
would require close range. Chain of Command could be nasty, and Voter
Cap. Actually, Voter Cap would be entirely wrong. Perhaps there would
be a short list of banned abilities...

It should definitely be limited only to transients - no cards which are
"put in play".
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 6:56:56 PM

Emmit Svenson wrote:
> 1 Point Special: Card Always in Hand. (Minimum capacity 6)
>
> Choose one library card that requires a discipline the vampire
> possesses at the superior level. The vampire may gain the effect of
> playing that card at the inferior level exactly as if the vampire had
> played it from your hand, at the additional cost of one blood. This
> special may not be used with a card that enters play.
>
> So, for example, a vampire with FOR could choose Lost in Crowds Always
> in Hand ...

This should have read "...a vampire with OBF..."
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 3:11:37 AM

LSJ wrote:
> UniqueMaster wrote:
> > Can we get the rules for the Sunday, Aug 21st tourney posted or linked to?
>
> http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=cac
>
> > Also, will these rules be the same for the WoN Create-A-Clan on Wed, Aug
> > 17th?
>
> Unknown.
>
> --
> LSJ (vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep (remove spam trap to reply)
> Links to V:TES news, rules, cards, utilities, and tournament calendar:
> http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

I'd like to organize Create-a-Clan tournament here in Minsk, but,
unfortunately, I was unable to get rules about a-la carte specials and
the other rules on the page

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=cac#

My browser just opens the same page as "line=cac". Can anybody provide
a valid link or list the rules here?

Thanks in advance,
Ector
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 11:43:14 AM

In message <1125295897.744147.138910@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Ector <Ector@mail.ru> writes:
>I'd like to organize Create-a-Clan tournament here in Minsk, but,
>unfortunately, I was unable to get rules about a-la carte specials and
>the other rules on the page
>
>http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=cac#
>
>My browser just opens the same page as "line=cac".

You need a JavaScript capable browser which is allowed to open new
windows (e.g. some pop-up blockers may whine). The links open up a new
window and paste some text into it using JavaScript. The ...line=cac#
link is just a place-holder. The onClick JavaScript event does all the
work.

FWIW, they work just fine in IE6 and Firefox 1.0.6, which I'm using
here.