Lost all keyboard and Mouse functions

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnniedoo

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Please,
I usually dont beg, however, I have lost all keyboard and mouse funcitons in my computer and this happened directly after I installed my new Keyboard by Kensington PilotBoard. I have other 2.4Ghz wireless by Logitech as well as ps/2 and usb wired keyboards and mice by microsoft and logitech. It all was ok, the kensington mouse was not smooth so getting the buttons or whatever was recommended and went to the website for the 'most up to data' software. that was the end. after a reboot i have been lost. The computer boots up and actually functions in its serverlike capacity with its internet cable and for the center of the little home network. i just can not make the cursor arrow move. no keyboard input, I tried safe mode, nothing. I tried Safe Mode with Command Prompt, cant write a command even if i knew what to put in there. NO Safe Mode operation of usb, wired mouse or keyboard. I went to cmos and made all changes to basics , no good. but the only time the keyboard will work is directly in the bios . But not any Bios change I made had any impact on the lost functions.
Since I built it myself, I have a back up or restore disc but can not access that. i can not roll anything back , cant get to device manager. or at least I havent been able to make it do anything but a boot. i do the reset to give me the options of another start in safe mode but it still has no key or mouse functions .
I am at a loss and would appreciate any and all information or suggestions as to how to regain control of my mouse and keyboard. it is lucky i have another computer handy but i can not make it share or gain any access to the mate here either.
thanks agian
John

Solution
No you all got it wrong. The Pilot is not comp. with Win7. I love my kensington so much, it was the
first thing I did, and lost all functions. My panic eased as my second idea worked. Reboot with a
ps/2 mouse plugged in, it will redirect it's attention to the new mouse, and then you can uninstall
the Pilot, and find some crummy wireless setup to try and enjoy windows7. I miss my multi-function mouse so much. Kensington should be closed for not moving into the future.

Takuhi

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Hey johnniedoo,

I had this problem a while back and found that the issue was a setting in the BIOS. I know you've already had a look, but try looking for a "Allow USB Keyboard" option. If that's on, then everything should be working.

You might also have a broken USB port, so try a different port.

If that doesn't work, try downloading a bootable copy of Puppy Linux and burn it as a bootable disc. At the very least you can back-up all your stuff in-case you need to re-install Windows. But if Puppy Linux allows you to use the mouse and keyboard, then its almost definitely a Windows driver problem.

Puppy Linux:
http://www.puppylinux.com/download/index.html

Hope you can get it fixed soon. Good luck!
Takuhi

johnniedoo

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
If that doesn't work, try downloading a bootable copy of Puppy Linux and burn it as a bootable disc. At the very least you can back-up all your stuff in-case you need to re-install Windows. But if Puppy Linux allows you to use the mouse and keyboard, then its almost definitely a Windows driver problem.

Puppy Linux:
http://www.puppylinux.com/download/index.html

Hope you can get it fixed soon. Good luck!
Takuhi[/quotemsg]

Thanks for the reminder of the Puppy Linux. I have the latest mint on disc but dont use it .
I was able to fix the problem and I had fallen victim to a software conflict that exists with windows 7 and the software for using the buttons , etc for the Kensington keyboards and mice. It will happen right after rebooting ffrom going to their web site and downloadinng /installing the latest versions . I would caution all others who get the deal from New Egg and only following the installer prompts. It is an easy thing to get into and easy to recover from, only if you know what to do.
I found that by tapping the F8 key during boot/post i get directed to the boot mgr or controller whatever it is called then I choose restore and pick a restore point. I create restore points daily and/or when doing software installations to avoid the issues i just had. I am new to microsoft so forgot about the F8 thing. I was panicked by the loss of the both keyboard and mouse function and blocked that important fkey function.
All is ok but still i am miffed because I picked the kensington desk set because of the tilt scroll wheel. I use it and like it but most of the offerings have only the 1x wheel.
Thanks again for the puppy advice though. it is a good one to have.
John

scorres

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
No you all got it wrong. The Pilot is not comp. with Win7. I love my kensington so much, it was the
first thing I did, and lost all functions. My panic eased as my second idea worked. Reboot with a
ps/2 mouse plugged in, it will redirect it's attention to the new mouse, and then you can uninstall
the Pilot, and find some crummy wireless setup to try and enjoy windows7. I miss my multi-function mouse so much. Kensington should be closed for not moving into the future.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS