AT&T and Sprint Fiber Lines Severed

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
I wonder how many people died because they couldn't call poison control or 911...

They should be convicted as murderers when caught.

uronacid

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
So that's why my service sucked. I think I might switch to verizon. Their fiber is surrounded by bullet proof glass and laser beams.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
this is very bad news, i dont want our government to turn more, than it already is, into a police state to stop this nonsense.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
"Angry at their parent companies our not, the perpetrators weren't really thinking at all, and acted in a completely selfish manner."

Isnt this the case in almost all criminal acts?

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Just floors me every time I see some punk vandalize or destroy something another created and pat themselves on the back over it. As if they accomplished something 2 year olds don't do regularly.

It takes skill and effort to create something useful and appreciated. Any moron can break things by tripping over their own two feet. People who celebrate their ability to wreck other people's/company's things I have no patience for.

rigaudio

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

"WELL I CAN'T MAKE ANY CALLS BUT AT LEAST I GOT MY NONSPECIFIC REVENGE"

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]joeman42[/nom]@curnel_dPerhaps most, but not all crimes committed are selfish. Consider the theoretical Robin Hood type person. It obviously depends on which laws we talk about. If manslaughter (unintentional/accidental) is considered a crime, then that's a perfect example of a crime which is not selfish (no gain, only punishment for the criminal).[/citation]

In most Mansalughter cases, it is considered a criminal act because of the poor judgement the criminal was practicing. Such as being totally reckless and spinning a car out around a corner only to nail little timmy in the face with the back end of your car.

Sure, no gain, but intentional recklesness is most deff very selfish.

slyck

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
If crooked companies like AT&T and Sprint didn't constantly screw over customers and employees, these sort of things wouldn't barely ever happen. Give some credit where it is due. People have no recourse when they are shafted by crooked companies. I'm not saying they should do this, but they have no options.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Sounds wierd. Why power an entire region with only 6 Fiber Optic lines? Aren't these things suppose to be netted to each other incase 1 fails an entire city can communicate with each other?

dacman61

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
It's probably because AT&T's Union workers' contract expired this past Saturday apparently. They are probably cranky about something they aren't going to get in their new contract.

slyck

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
Hey kami3k. I've got no problems with anyone disagreeing with me. But hurling insults just shows everyone what kind of person you are. Maybe not something you personally would want people to know.

G

I think that is pretty cool and that is hilarious. ATT and Sprint deserve that after nickel and diming us for years. I hate them.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]mitchmania[/nom]I think that is pretty cool and that is hilarious. ATT and Sprint deserve that after nickel and diming us for years. I hate them.[/citation]

Are you serious?

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Well it was pretty crappy all over. At&t both Land line (and DSL of course)and cell as well as sprint and Verizon land and cell were down. It was southern Santa Clara County, all of Santa Cruz county, and San Mateo county. San Mateo county's land lines are Verizon so they had no communication.

My sons school had to close because 911 is down so i had to leave work early and pick him up, you couldnt use Fleet cards at the Gas station, no ATM's worked, Banks wouldnt let people in to get cash because there security systems couldnt send transmissions out.

However I had internet and phone at home because I use Comcast. Finally they have earned all that money i pay them every month.

Ohh and about the whole workers thing that was a bit of a understatement in that article. Its all the evidance is beginning to point to a orginized Union action. The Unions have been fighting with the respective companies the past few weeks to avoid massive layoffs because of the economic issues.

However Im pretty sure if it turns out it was a Union action; then this most certainly will not help their case.

By the way Im pretty sure people have more options then shutting off comms to 3 counties. I pretty sure its not the companies that have suffered in this.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
This sounds like the work of a cover-up. One that more than a few people weren't supposed to find out about.

It could easily be disgruntled ex-employees, but that could also just be what we're supposed to think.

wira020

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]uronacid[/nom]So that's why my service sucked. I think I might switch to verizon. Their fiber is surrounded by bullet proof glass and laser beams.[/citation]

maybe in the future that might need be...

puddleglum

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
So even the networks in a populated city like San Jose gets set up with single points of failure. OUCH! We're just asking for it aren't we? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.