Video card question

in610

Distinguished
May 12, 2003
I have a Compaq Presario 5423US.Last month,I replaced the Geforce 2 card that came with the system with a Geforce 4
TI 4200 card,and up to now,it's worked fine,both with normal Windows programs and games.But when I tried out two
new games,Unreal2 and Blackhawk Down,I experienced a troubling problem.At sometime during gameplay,the length and point in the game vary,my monitor shuts down,and my whole system seems to shut down with it,turning the monitor back on only gives me a white screen,though the power is still on in my computer,no combination of keystrokes gets any reaction.I have to cut the power to shut it off and get it restarted.My monitor is fairly new,
a Viewsonic A70,and supports just about every refresh rate and resolution there is,and all my drivers are up to date.
Could this be a power related problem?The system has a 235 watt supply,but the only other available supply unit(Compaq used a proprietary design) is only a 250 watt,which I can't see making that much of a difference.
I've tried using lower refresh rates and resolutions,with no effect.

in610

Distinguished
May 12, 2003
Well,the minimum suggested by the manufacturer(Asylum}was 235,but I think they were stretching it to make sales.I think a high end game like Unreal 2 just pushed the power
consumption too high.Guess I'll have to go back to the old Geforce 2 card,and hope it can handle the game,I don't want to risk this new one to end up really doing damage to my system.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
probalby the PSU ... id go 300 at least with that video card / cpu

that happened to me when i had a duron 1gig/radeon256... so i had to get a more powerful PSU. fixed my problem. might wanna get some other advice before you sink money into it tho.

-------

<A HREF="http://www.xgr.com" target="_new">XGR-Game Reviews</A>

"You change the channel, and you change our minds..." - System of a Down

in610

Distinguished
May 12, 2003
I think it's time to give up,like I mentioned,Compaq used a proprietary design with the power supply,totally different connections than standard supply units(thanks for nothing,Compaq!)and the only other one available is only 250 watts.15 more watts will hardly make a difference,especially at over $100 for the unit.

CasualCat2001

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
for that price ($100) you can get a case and new psu...
If you have the funds you could do that then move everything over into the new case with the new power supply

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
First of all Compaq sucks, and NEVER buy from them again, OK?

Now if youre saying that normal Windows stuff and other games besides those work fine, and assuming the issue is power related, those extra 15 watts could just do the trick.
I mean, you must have like really close to enough power, so if its power you need, those 15 watts could do it.

If youre like the typical Compaq user, and you dont want to void your warrantee, your best bet is to go with the 250W power supply.

This is just one more area these pre-built companies skimp on. Cheap PSUs.
Sigh, If only the general public knew the wealth of knowledge the THG forum (and others like it) have to offer...

Long live ATI.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
tell me about it. i can build a GOOD computer with all high quality parts for about 300 bucks less than those pre-built P.O.S. with integrated video

its sick.

-------

<A HREF="http://www.xgr.com" target="_new">XGR-Game Reviews</A>

"You change the channel, and you change our minds..." - System of a Down

in610

Distinguished
May 12, 2003
You're absolutely right,wish I had known about Compaq's deceptive practices before I bought this system.They made a big deal about their systems upgradeability,then put non-standard parts that can't be replaced with third party parts in them.Then they don't make suitable upgrades available,and charge outrageous prices for what little they do have.I just can't see spending $125 for a power supply that may or may not help,if were at least 300 watts,I might.And their so called"support",a bunch of inept people,in India of all places,reading off stock answers from some manual that aren't right half the time.

Ryan_Plus_One

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2003
It's time to get out the hacksaw and mod your computer until you can fit a standard ATX Power supply. Shoot.... get one with long enough connecters and duck tape that beeyotch on top of your case if you have to!

Proprietary??? NevAr!!!!

in610

Distinguished
May 12, 2003
Unfortunately,it's not just a question of size,when Compaq screws things up,they go all the way!Every thing is different,from the number of pins in the connectors to the whole wiring and pin out arrangements.I've searched all over the net for companies that make compatable units,no luck.Oh,sure,some have said they could adapt one,for a hefty fee,and only then if I could provide them with detailed specs,which Compaq won't give to anyone.It's just not worth it.I'll just use the original card and settle for lower resolutions until I can get a decent system.

cleeve

Illustrious
Just to show you how much of a difference a PSU can make, I used to have a generic 300 watter with an Athlon 2000+.
The system was pretty stable most of the time, which I figured was OK.

Then I got Unreal2... that game crashed like crazy. Couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work on my machine. Thought it was a video card issue.

So after trying a bunch of things, I bought a 480w job. Unreal2 never crashes at all anymore... and my system is wayyy more stable, a veritable rock.

I don't know what the deal with unreal2 is, but it sure slaps my hardware around like it's a beyotch. It seems newer games are wayy more demanding as far as power supplies go...

in610

Distinguished
May 12, 2003
The cards themselves share the responsibilty as well,what with built in fans and higher memory.I had originally wanted one of the newer FX or Radeon cards,but knew the power supply could never handle them.Wish gamemakers and card manufacturers would keep in mind that not everyone can afford the high end systems,and that gameplay rather than graphics that require them is what sells games.If UNREAL 2 only had graphics like the original,I'd still enjoy playing it.