Burningman

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 16, 2005 2:15:40 AM

Hey all,

I know all you cats are probably at Week of nightmares or something,
but are any other Jyhad players going to Burningman this year? Myself
and a fellow player will be out there for the whole week, so I can
guarantee at least one three player game. Not the rocking convention
scene, I know, but the desert has its own attractions.

Just wanted to check.

-Dave

Drink while Rome burns.

More about : burningman

August 16, 2005 2:12:10 PM

quickbeam wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I know all you cats are probably at Week of nightmares or something,
> but are any other Jyhad players going to Burningman this year? Myself
> and a fellow player will be out there for the whole week, so I can
> guarantee at least one three player game. Not the rocking convention
> scene, I know, but the desert has its own attractions.

I won't be there this year, but I remember spending many a scorching
daylight hour playing VtES at BM and waiting for night to fall (that's
kinda ironic, huh?) back in, like, 2001. I'll ask my friends if either
of them are going...
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 7:18:06 PM

> I know all you cats are probably at Week of nightmares or something,
> but are any other Jyhad players going to Burningman this year? Myself
> and a fellow player will be out there for the whole week, so I can
> guarantee at least one three player game. Not the rocking convention
> scene, I know, but the desert has its own attractions.
>
> Just wanted to check.

http://www.burningman.com/
Except for the fact that it is $250 dollars to hang out with a bunch of
people sitting around the desert lighting stuff on fire and smoking dope,
it sounds like great fun. ;)

> -Dave

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy, and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment... Complacency... Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 7:48:47 PM

"Kevin M." <youwish@imaspammer.org> wrote in message
news:o CtMe.57054$E95.13479@fed1read01...
> From: "quickbeam" <dcquickbeam@yahoo.com>
>> I know all you cats are probably at Week of nightmares or something,
>> but are any other Jyhad players going to Burningman this year? Myself
>> and a fellow player will be out there for the whole week, so I can
>> guarantee at least one three player game. Not the rocking convention
>> scene, I know, but the desert has its own attractions.
>>
>> Just wanted to check.
>
> http://www.burningman.com/
> Except for the fact that it is $250 dollars to hang out with a bunch of
> people sitting around the desert lighting stuff on fire and smoking dope,
> it sounds like great fun. ;)

I sense that you're a tad skepical about the value of this, Kevin.

Fred

(Pretty much OK with it as long as I'm never cast as the title character)
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 10:27:35 PM

Kevin M. wrote:

> Ahhh but Peter, in the bunker we would have guns. And no hippies. Except
> maybe you. ;)

I'm *way* too hostile to be a hippie. And I don't so much smoke the dope.
And the noodely space jam music makes me want to hurl myself under an
oncoming train. So even if I wanted to be a hippie, they'd *sooo* not even
give me a membership card :-)

But yeah, I'll take the bunker full of VTES over Burningman any day. All
that hot and sun and dope and dirt and raves? Yerk. I mean, like, yeah, ok,
who doesn't like the crazy giant metal flaming art and women dressed up in
road warrior outfits, but I'm perfectly willing to catch the TV replays.

Man. We need those people to come back from Gen-Con soon...

:-)

Peter D Bakija
pdb6@lightlink.com
http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6

"So in conclusion, our business plan is to sell hot,
easily spilled liquids to naked people."
-Brittni Meil
August 18, 2005 12:21:39 AM

Kevin M. wrote:
> >> http://www.burningman.com/
> >> Except for the fact that it is $250 dollars to hang out with a bunch
> >> of people sitting around the desert lighting stuff on fire and
> >> smoking dope, it sounds like great fun. ;)

I will discuss how
> skeptical of this so-called Burningman I am. (Hint: Origins 2006.)
>
> Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
> "Know your enemy, and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
> you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
> "Contentment... Complacency... Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier

Sounds like if Burningman is your enemy, you are imperiled.

I trust you've never been, but there is more to it than hippies and
drugs.

-dc
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 1:12:41 AM

Peter D Bakija wrote:
> quickbeam wrote:
>
> > Sounds like if Burningman is your enemy, you are imperiled.
> >
> > I trust you've never been, but there is more to it than hippies and
> > drugs.
>
> Just leave it sitting, man. This is no conversation fo the rational...
>

> Peter D Bakija
> pdb6@lightlink.com
> http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6
>
> "So in conclusion, our business plan is to sell hot,
> easily spilled liquids to naked people."
> -Brittni Meil

Rational??!?! bring your rational over here and i'll introduce it to my
razor wielding muppet of milk! rationality is way over rated. any more
coffee anyone?
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 3:58:38 AM

quickbeam wrote:

> Sounds like if Burningman is your enemy, you are imperiled.
>
> I trust you've never been, but there is more to it than hippies and
> drugs.

Just leave it sitting, man. This is no conversation fo the rational...

Peter D Bakija
pdb6@lightlink.com
http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6

"So in conclusion, our business plan is to sell hot,
easily spilled liquids to naked people."
-Brittni Meil
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 4:33:56 AM

I got nothing, man. As I said--*not* a conversation for the rational :-)

Peter D Bakija
pdb6@lightlink.com
http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6

"So in conclusion, our business plan is to sell hot,
easily spilled liquids to naked people."
-Brittni Meil
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 4:08:42 PM

"David Zopf" <davidxzopf@snetx.net> wrote in message
> Ick. Burningman. This damned Yankee could take the alcohol, the drugs, and
> the smell, but not the Hot. Yick with the Hot...

Heh! Having lived in both Phoenix, AZ and Minneapolis, MN over time I've had
my share of both extremes. I can tell you with confidence that 112 degrees
Fahrenheit makes for an interesting run.

> I guess I'll have to go and start Freezing, a "leave no trace" artistic
> expressionist experimental community week in the winter woodland wilderness
> of the Berkshire mountains. But its a bit hard er to leave no trace in 35
> inches of snowfall. At least I won't have to deal with the Hot (or other
> people, for that matter...;-)

Yea, but somehow watching "the man" slowly freeze his butt off probably isn't
quite as dramatic for a Saturday night show as what they do at the Nevada
thing.

Fred

never tried a minus 20 degrees Fahrenheit run - it's easier just to go
skiing...
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 6:21:06 PM

"quickbeam" <dcquickbeam@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht

> I will discuss how
>> skeptical of this so-called Burningman I am. (Hint: Origins 2006.)
>>
>> Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
>> "Know your enemy, and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
>> you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
>> "Contentment... Complacency... Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
>
> Sounds like if Burningman is your enemy, you are imperiled.
>
> I trust you've never been, but there is more to it than hippies and
> drugs.

so what exactly is wrong with stoned hippy chicks? I see no problems
there... :)
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 6:57:05 PM

Daneel wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 20:16:19 -0400, The Lasombra <TheLasombra@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > A better choice would be to live vicariously through those in
> > attendance:
>
> Am I the only VTES player who absolutely hates Blogs, and finds reading
> them more frustration than entertainment?

I consider all tournament reports to be very blog-like. So, I have
checked the above-mentioned site several times. Once they get to "the
good stuff", I'll find them more interesting and entertaining.

Reading about the drafts got me thinking about crypt size again. I
don't like 7 as the number. What if it were simply the number of
boosters you draft determines the number of minimum vampires in your
crypt, up to 12?

Jeff
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 11:42:16 PM

"Frederick Scott" <nospam@no.spam.dot.com> wrote in message

> "David Zopf" <davidxzopf@snetx.net> wrote in message
>> Ick. Burningman. This damned Yankee could take the alcohol, the drugs,
>> and
>> the smell, but not the Hot. Yick with the Hot...
>
> Heh! Having lived in both Phoenix, AZ and Minneapolis, MN over time I've
> had
> my share of both extremes. I can tell you with confidence that 112
> degrees
> Fahrenheit makes for an interesting run.

Blech. The Hot is like garlic to this Yankee vamp, Blaah.... My five years
in exile to Charlotte, NC was bad enough (admittedly, I was there during
five years of drought and record high temperatures, but still)... I spent
more time indoors in Charlotte during those five years than I ever had in my
whole life in the Great White North. I found that its easy to get warmer by
putting on more clothes in cold weather, but its hard to srip down past
"bareass naked" to get cooler in 112 degree weather :-)

>> I guess I'll have to go and start Freezingman, a "leave no trace"
>> artistic
>> expressionist experimental community week in the winter woodland
>> wilderness
>> of the Berkshire mountains. But its a bit harder to leave no trace in 35
>> inches of snowfall. At least I won't have to deal with the Hot (or other
>> people, for that matter...;-)
>
> Yea, but somehow watching "the man" slowly freeze his butt off probably
> isn't
> quite as dramatic for a Saturday night show as what they do at the Nevada
> thing.

We'll build an ice palace igloo, and hunt Caribou with popsicle sticks,
instead ;-)

> Fred
>
> never tried a minus 20 degrees Fahrenheit run -
Sub-zero jogging brings new meaning to the phrase "feel the burn" :-) I
only run when chased, anyways.

> it's easier just to go skiing...
....and hot-tubbing after :-)

DaveZ
Mogul Weaver
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 3:50:05 AM

--
Bye,

Daneel
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 12:07:46 PM

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:21:06 GMT, "Jeroen Rombouts"
<jeroen.rombouts@NOSPAMtelenet.be> scrawled:

>so what exactly is wrong with stoned hippy chicks?

their distinct scent.

salem
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adsltqna/VtES/index.htm
(replace "hotmail" with "yahoo" to email)
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 12:07:47 PM

"salem" <salem_christ.geo@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
news:o k1ag1hgoigscgrvne2l5p80qv7cv3f6ri@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:21:06 GMT, "Jeroen Rombouts"
> <jeroen.rombouts@NOSPAMtelenet.be> scrawled:
>

>>so what exactly is wrong with stoned hippy chicks?
>
> their distinct scent.

no patchoulli (sp?) lover, eh? I don't really mind unless they're marinated
in the stuff.
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 11:21:09 PM

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 04:03:34 GMT, "Jeroen Rombouts"
<jeroen.rombouts@NOSPAMtelenet.be> scrawled:

>"salem" <salem_christ.geo@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
>news:o k1ag1hgoigscgrvne2l5p80qv7cv3f6ri@4ax.com...
>> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:21:06 GMT, "Jeroen Rombouts"
>> <jeroen.rombouts@NOSPAMtelenet.be> scrawled:
>>

>>>so what exactly is wrong with stoned hippy chicks?
>>
>> their distinct scent.
>>
>no patchoulli (sp?) lover, eh? I don't really mind unless they're marinated
>in the stuff.

i was actually referring to a lack of deoderant and the smell of pot.
:)

I actually don't mind patchouli if it's subtle.

i seem to recall some friend many years ago marking the difference
between a goth and a hippy who's just wearing some black being a lack
of aerosols (being hairspray and deoderant)

it seemed hilarious at the time. :/

salem
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adsltqna/VtES/index.htm
(replace "hotmail" with "yahoo" to email)
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 6:35:16 PM

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 jeffkuta@pacbell.net wrote:

> Reading about the drafts got me thinking about crypt size again. I
> don't like 7 as the number. What if it were simply the number of
> boosters you draft determines the number of minimum vampires in your
> crypt, up to 12?

Interesting idea. For what it's worth, we actually used seven packs for
three of the four Swainbank drafts last week. We used six for the other
one (because it had more base set stuff and Ben Peal didn't want to run
out of product too early). I don't think I'd want to go down to six
crypt cards for fear someone would run out of crypt too early.

I really liked the seven card crypt, but I suppose with more packs, a
larger crypt would've been more feasible.

Another suggestion made was that one's library could only be reshuffled
once or something like that. At the final Swainbank draft yesterday, Josh
Feuerstein managed to abuse the reshuffling rule to a very impressive
degree. He had a Tzimisce deck and a big pile of reactions, some
permanents, some burn option cards and a Conservative Agitation (call it
offense). He was able to recycle his entire library every five turns or
so and had frequent access to his Forced Awakenings, Guard Dogs,
Telepathic Counter, Cats Guidance, etc.

Unfortunately for Josh, he and another finalist, Scott Gomes, had a plane
to catch, so we just agreed to split prizes and call the game since it was
unsanctioned anyway. I really think Josh would've won that game.

For that draft, each player was given a Wake with Evening's Freshness, a
Blood Doll and an Eye of Hazimel (just for yuks, I guess) he could put in
his deck. I'm not a big fan of that. I think those elements just make
the games take longer. In my second round game, everyone got out his
Blood Doll and each of us dipped low on pool at one point or another, but
we all made recoveries. The game eventually timed out with one player
ousted and another withdrawn. I think we would've seen a game win at that
table if we hadn't had the Blood Dolls.

Some Week of Nightmares attendees came up with a couple new draft variants
this week. You may have read about one of them on that blog mentioned
earlier in this thread (or you may not have if you hate blogs - my advice,
don't read it if you hate it). We'll try to get some details on these
variants posted so people can tell us how dumb they are.

Matt Morgan
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 3:44:34 AM

Matthew T. Morgan wrote:
> For that draft, each player was given a Wake with Evening's Freshness, a
> Blood Doll and an Eye of Hazimel (just for yuks, I guess) he could put in
> his deck. I'm not a big fan of that. I think those elements just make
> the games take longer.

Yeah, I could have done without the Wake & Blood Doll.

And in your first round game, you totally won, because you Suddened my
Blood Doll.

Well, maybe that wasn't the real reason you won, but it sure helped.
Because I'm sure you would have been frustrated hanging on to it, and
probably would have blown it before my Palla Grande made its
appearance. Hopefully. :)

Xian
likes DDDraft better than SDDraft
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 12:46:24 PM

Matthew T. Morgan <farquar@io.com> wrote:
> Another suggestion made was that one's library could only be reshuffled
> once or something like that. At the final Swainbank draft yesterday, Josh
> Feuerstein managed to abuse the reshuffling rule to a very impressive
> degree. He had a Tzimisce deck and a big pile of reactions, some
> permanents, some burn option cards and a Conservative Agitation (call it
> offense). He was able to recycle his entire library every five turns or
> so and had frequent access to his Forced Awakenings, Guard Dogs,
> Telepathic Counter, Cats Guidance, etc.

Don't forget that I also had Cicatriz. I was discarding 3 cards during
almost every discard-prey's untap phase in the 2nd round. And the
Storage Annex also didn't hurt, since it effectively made my deck 2
cards smaller.

But yeah, I had no stealth, and no significant combat except Lambach, a few
backsteps, a beretta, a meld with the land, and the living manse.
So all I could do was keep stalling, cycling, and waiting for my Con Agg
and hoping it would pass. Even with my 2 +1-bleed minions, I really
couldn't move forward.
Personally, I think that I would have timed out that Final round before
I was able to win. Scott did actually have some combat that would have
taught me a lesson. But if we played it out, who knows?

I agree that the Blood Doll was not a great idea, and led to games
lasting a lot longer than Draft should (I was in a Procurer+Blood Doll loop
for awhile).
And the Wake, for whatever reason, only seemed to lead people to pass up on
the untap available in the draft, which is how I ended up with so much
of it.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 1:00:47 PM

On Tue, 22 Aug 2005, Xian wrote:

> Matthew T. Morgan wrote:
>> For that draft, each player was given a Wake with Evening's Freshness, a
>> Blood Doll and an Eye of Hazimel (just for yuks, I guess) he could put in
>> his deck. I'm not a big fan of that. I think those elements just make
>> the games take longer.
>
> Yeah, I could have done without the Wake & Blood Doll.
>
> And in your first round game, you totally won, because you Suddened my
> Blood Doll.

It's fair to say that I totally won when I did because I Suddened your
Blood Doll. It's not like I had a handfull of Conditionings I wasn't
playing. If you had pool gain you would not have been ousted when you
were. I didn't have the juice to hit your any harder.

> Well, maybe that wasn't the real reason you won, but it sure helped.
> Because I'm sure you would have been frustrated hanging on to it, and
> probably would have blown it before my Palla Grande made its
> appearance. Hopefully. :)

Are you kidding? Sudden your Palla Grande when you have Jost Werner and
your prey has Beast? I can't really think of a better way to get rid of
some of your pesky vampires. Too bad Beast was afraid of Miller.

Matt Morgan
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 1:11:18 PM

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005, Jozxyqk wrote:

> Don't forget that I also had Cicatriz. I was discarding 3 cards during
> almost every discard-prey's untap phase in the 2nd round. And the
> Storage Annex also didn't hurt, since it effectively made my deck 2
> cards smaller.

Yeah, that was some nice tech there Mr. Broken.

> But yeah, I had no stealth, and no significant combat except Lambach, a few
> backsteps, a beretta, a meld with the land, and the living manse.
> So all I could do was keep stalling, cycling, and waiting for my Con Agg
> and hoping it would pass. Even with my 2 +1-bleed minions, I really
> couldn't move forward.

Yeah, I should've been a terrible prey for you, but that early Con Agg
really hurt and my minions were large. Unfortunately I didn't get Greta
or Joe "Boot" in the finals so I couldn't reduce bleeds or play Black
Sunrise.

> Personally, I think that I would have timed out that Final round before
> I was able to win. Scott did actually have some combat that would have
> taught me a lesson. But if we played it out, who knows?

Wasn't there nearly an hour left? I was close to dead. If you guys
played quickly, I think you'd get him. You had Leather Jackets to handle
the Combat and you could block rescues and had a Procurer. Scott had no
intercept (that I noticed) and didn't have a blood machine.

Another outcome was me blowing up Scott with Anarchist Uprising (it was
three cards down when we quit). That could've ousted me too if you'd
tapped out bleeding that turn. That would've resulted in a 2-2-1 split
that would give Scott the win as he was higher seed. If I'd managed to
pass the vote and not die, there's perhaps an outside chance I'd take you
in the endgame, but it doesn't seem very likely at all since my best bleed
was 2 at 2 stealth and you had that Telepathic Counter.

> I agree that the Blood Doll was not a great idea, and led to games
> lasting a lot longer than Draft should (I was in a Procurer+Blood Doll loop
> for awhile).
> And the Wake, for whatever reason, only seemed to lead people to pass up on
> the untap available in the draft, which is how I ended up with so much
> of it.

Weren't you in my draft pod? I can't believe you got four Forced out of
seven packs! I think I passed only one, but I was taking something
crucial like Anarchist Uprising.

Matt Morgan
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 1:43:35 PM

Matthew T. Morgan <farquar@io.com> wrote:

> Weren't you in my draft pod? I can't believe you got four Forced out of
> seven packs! I think I passed only one, but I was taking something
> crucial like Anarchist Uprising.

I didn't get 4 forced; I got 2 Forced, 1 Guard Dogs, 1 Cats Guidance for
untap (plus the free Wake).
It just might have seemed like 4, since I didn't care about wasting them
when I was going to see them again a few turns later ;)
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 7:45:24 PM

"Daneel" <daniel@eposta.hu> wrote in message
news:o psvp39rhno6j3lh@news.chello.hu...
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 20:16:19 -0400, The Lasombra
> <TheLasombra@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> A better choice would be to live vicariously through those in
>> attendance:
>
> Am I the only VTES player who absolutely hates Blogs, and finds
> reading
> them more frustration than entertainment?

I don't know, are you? But seriously, if you have any good suggestions
for a better format for VTES reporting, I would be interested. I am by
no means married to the "actual blog" medium, I just don't know much of
anything about website programming and don't know of any better ways to
do it. (phpBB, at least in my experience, doesn't seem "better", but
that's about the only other thing I know of in the same vein...)

Josh

blogelais nouveau
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 11:41:08 AM

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:35:16 -0500, Matthew T. Morgan <farquar@io.com>
wrote:

> You may have read about one of them on that blog mentioned earlier in
> this thread (or you may not have if you hate blogs - my advice, don't
> read it if you hate it).

Ingenious piece of advice. I think I'll consider it. ;)

--
Bye,

Daneel
!