Spinner

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002

This is supposed to work like a charge, but how can you maintain a straight
movement path when charge also requires you to move thru the closest space
to your target? To continue you'd have to plow over the target, no?

I'm confused.

This is not a troll.

Spinner

Spinner wrote:
> This is supposed to work like a charge, but how can you maintain a straight
> movement path when charge also requires you to move thru the closest space
> to your target? To continue you'd have to plow over the target, no?
>
> I'm confused.
>
> This is not a troll.
>

> Spinner

Dude, this was like one of the first questions in the 3.5 FAQ. It says
you can just ride past someone instead of at them when you use Ride By
Attack. We used this one time only with a dragon instead of a horse
because the demon ate our paladin's horse.

Spinner

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002

>> This is supposed to work like a charge, but how can you maintain a
>> straight movement path when charge also requires you to move thru the
>> closest space to your target? To continue you'd have to plow over the
>> target, no?
>>
>> I'm confused.
>>
>> This is not a troll.
>>

>> Spinner
>
> Dude, this was like one of the first questions in the 3.5 FAQ. It says
> you can just ride past someone instead of at them when you use Ride By
> Attack. We used this one time only with a dragon instead of a horse
> because the demon ate our paladin's horse.

Thanks, dude. I haven't "read through" the FAQ and only hear about it in
rumour around here. Guess I should get it.

Spinner

Spinner wrote:
> This is supposed to work like a charge, but how can you maintain a straight
> movement path when charge also requires you to move thru the closest space
> to your target? To continue you'd have to plow over the target, no?
>
> I'm confused.
>
> This is not a troll.
>

> Spinner

This is in the 3.5 FAQ:

"With the rules erratum that prohibits overruns as part
of a charge, the Ride-By Attack feat is now nearly useless.
You must use the charge action to use the Ride-By Attack
feat, and that requires you to travel in a straight line
toward your target. Using the example in the Player’s
Handbook, this would appear to rather specifically mean
along a line from your entire square (or squares if riding a
horse or other mount with a space of 10 feet or greater), to
the target square. Ride-By Attack allows you to continue
moving along the straight line of the charge after your
attack. This would have to mean that at some point you
would enter the square (or squares) of the creature you
attacked. (At least I cannot conceive of any other way it
could be done). Since you cannot enter your foe’s space
unless the creature is already dead, Ride-By Attack is now
pretty much useless if you can’t also overrun the foe. Some
have suggested that you could charge in a manner that
would not bring you through the target creature’s square
(or squares). To do so, you would not be charging directly
toward the target and likely not moving by the shortest
route (also a charge requirement) or attacking it from the
first possible square (another charge requirement). In any
of these cases, you would be breaking the rules for a charge.
Am I wrong about any of this?"

"No, you’ve got it about right.
When using the Ride-By attack feat, you must conduct your
charge so that you move in a straight line toward the closest
square from which it is possible to attack your chosen foe, so
long as it is a square that allows you to attack and then continue
on in the straight line of the charge. You still must attack your
foe the moment you reach that square. (Although the feat
description doesn’t say so, you and your mount also must move
at least 5 feet after you make your attack to get the benefit of
the feat.) This is a special rule for charging when using the
Ride-By Attack feat. Note that the Flyby Attack feat (discussed
in the previous question) does not require you to move in a
straight line. You merely make a single move and take another
standard action at some point during that move."

Spinner wrote:
>>>This is supposed to work like a charge, but how can you maintain a
>>>straight movement path when charge also requires you to move thru the
>>>closest space to your target? To continue you'd have to plow over the
>>>target, no?
>>>
>>>I'm confused.
>>>
>>>This is not a troll.
>>>

>>>Spinner
>>
>>Dude, this was like one of the first questions in the 3.5 FAQ. It says
>>you can just ride past someone instead of at them when you use Ride By
>>Attack. We used this one time only with a dragon instead of a horse
>>because the demon ate our paladin's horse.
>

> Thanks, dude. I haven't "read through" the FAQ and only hear about it in
> rumour around here. Guess I should get it.
>
> Spinner

You can download it here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20030221a

Note that it changes approximately once a month, usually at the end of
the month, so check back for updates.