I REALLY screwed this one up

smacky

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2001
Okay, I know how stupid I am for doing this so you don't need to rub it in. However, you guys have fixed worse screw ups than this in the past so I thought I would give it a shot. Here's the problem:

I was having severe os problems (constant restarts) and I thought it might be an OS problem so I tried to repair or reinstall windows xp over the old installation. Some think that alone is stupid but it's the lazy way to fix these sorts of things on occasion. Anyway, I pressed "l" or something during the setup and managed to "delete previous installation of windows" and reinstall the os. During all of this madness I discovered that a stick of ram was bad and I shouldn't have done any of this at all. just great.

So now I'm back up and running but this isn't my computer anymore. Obviously, everything is like a new installation of windows xp. While installing the new os, xp automatically named my computer. It named it something like smith-9mrs. Once it started running I discovered that all of my old restore points were still on my xp drive and my old computer name was there also under documents and settings(something like smith-8vac). Unfortunately, because it is running under the new system name (or whatever you call that name) none of the restore points are available. XP acts like the old computer name and restore points aren't there despite the fact that all the files seem intact under the old name directory.

My dream (and, yes, I realize it is a dream) is to have this machine run under the the old computer name and restore all of the settings. Now I realize that this sort of thing may not be possible but, if it is, PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME! Although I'm no expert with these things, I do understand system restore some but it won't work automatically since the restore points are not available under the wizard. I need to figure out how to change the settings so that the os will boot under the old name and use all the old documents, settings, restore points, etc. I would love to use the file migration tool but, as most of already realize, I can't boot into the old system so I can't create a migration disk. If I knew how to manually create a migration disk by putting all the files in the right place it might work but I don't know how migration works so I'm stuck.

Anyway, I'm going to build a new computer in the next month or so and I don't really want to have to go through the steps of setting up an entirely new os right now if I don't have to. If any of you know how make the computer use the old settings on the winxp drive or know how to manually make a migration disk please help a brotha' out.

P.S. I'm running xp pro corporate with a dual 98/xp boot. I have three partitions: 98/xp/program data. 98 and program data partitions are completely untouched and as I stated earlier all of the old settings and restore points seem to be available in my xp partition under the windows directory.

rook

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
I've never used restore, but to change your computer name:
Right click "My Computer" (or system in control panel) select properties, under the "Computer Name" tab, click change.

"Quotes are for people that can't think for themselves"

smacky

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2001
I should have made it more clear in my first post but I've tried that and all that happens when I change the name to what is should be (smith-8vac or something) it makes a new file called smich-8vac.000 and runs from that directory.

I know this is a really tough problem and there is probably no resolution but if any of you have an idea let me know.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
not to be a smart ass or anything, but im just asking... why do you need win98 and win xp....... i think you should Reformat your HD, do a Clean Fresh Instal of just Win XP... and you should be set.

RIG
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Lots of people, like me, have a great deal of programs that don't work under XP. Games especially. Don't rant to me about compatibility mode. That's crap. It rarely, if ever, works for me. I think it worked twice, out of 20 games just on my computer, not counting others who had the same problem.

XP 2500+ Barton @ 198x11.5@1.85v
Thermalright SLK-800
Thermaltake Smartfan II
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
BBA 9700 Pro AIW
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Soundstorm