Sign in with
Your question

Can I Reset Network Settings

Last response: in Windows 7
June 12, 2010 6:57:40 PM

Hi there. I switched locations of a few computers in my home network and now things are a bit messed up. This computer i'm using now, before had a wireless USB adapter plugged in, however, now I'm just running it straight into our Seagate 567 DSL Modem.

Whenever I restart the computer here, it says there's no internet connectivity. What I do is go into the Devices, and uninstal and reinstall the built in network adapter. Then, suddenly the computer magically finds the internet. I'm having to do this every time i reboot though.

So, is there not simply a way to reset all network info on this computer? Or what is recommended here?

thanks...

More about : reset network settings

a b $ Windows 7
June 12, 2010 7:13:42 PM

I am assuming that you mean you quit using a wireless setup and now have a wire(CAT5 cable), go to Start, Control Panel, Internet Options, and Connections tab, in the top BOX, Remove, if there is a connection there, Click Setup at the top, follow the Wizard, good luck
m
l
June 12, 2010 8:07:41 PM

Not sure what you're talking about there. Yes..I've stopped using wireless, I'm not plugging directly from our modem to our motherboard's lan card.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
June 12, 2010 9:24:54 PM

you'll need to help me then, no wireless and no wires, ok now I'm confused,
m
l
June 12, 2010 9:33:52 PM

Thanks for helping. Sorry....I think we assume a lot when I speak. I've got an internet cable from the modem running into my computer's built Lan network adapter. However....because of the changes I made (switched network computers around here at home), when I turn on the computer it will at first recognize network connections, however, it says there is no internet available. So, in device manager, I uninstal my network lan adapter, and then, it reinstalls itself and automatically the internet works again and it connects to my home network as well.

Hope that isn't too confusing. This is Windows 7 by the way.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 12, 2010 9:56:14 PM

OK< now I got it, you have a Cat5 cable, so go to Start,(bottom left, the round circle with the Windows emblem) and mouse left click on it, Control Panel( on the right side of the box that opens, just under half way down), look in the top right corner and see where it says View By, left click on Category select Small Icons, go to Internet Options(left click, and in the box that opens look for the Connections tab at the top of the box, when it opens, look in the top BOX for any connections(actually if there is anything in the box, left click on it so it's highlighted and select Remove to the right of it, then, Click Setup at the top (it says, To setup a n Internet connection, click setup, so to the right, left click setup, follow the directions in the Wizard, good luck
m
l
June 12, 2010 10:31:38 PM

I appreciate your meticulous instructions. It didn't work though.

When I go into internet options, there is no connection listed there. Then when I try the connection wizard that doesn't work either. The only thing that works for me, is uninstalling the network adapter, then letting reinstall itself.

My internet connection is supposed to work automatically when you plug into it. That's how it works with all of our computers here. It's just some old setting is causing an issue here, I think. I'm just not sure where I can reset it.

Hmm.....

thanks anyways...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 12, 2010 10:35:32 PM

get EFRC(Eusing Free Registry Cleaner) download and run,and see if it helps
m
l
June 13, 2010 2:15:20 PM

Unfortunately, that did not do the trick either. And I thought Windows 7 was the smartest operating system.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 13, 2010 6:02:50 PM

Computers are fast, but they are multiplying ones and zero's, smart and Windows are 2 words that you never use in the same sentence
do you mean that when you click on the "set up an internet connection", nothing happens?
m
l
June 13, 2010 6:43:10 PM

Hi dude. It went through the wizard, however, it still didn't connect in the end. I'm not supposed to need a password either to connect to our DSL internet. Just the wifi requires passwords.

Anyhow, it appears I solved it. I decided to uninstall a bunch of the Windows Internet Related Features. I went into uninstall "Windows Components" and I just got rid of just about everything related to internet. So it's not automatically connected after rebooting here!! Finally!!! My homegroup still seems to work too!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 13, 2010 6:49:20 PM

GLAD TO HEAR IT, congratulations, you did it
m
l
June 13, 2010 6:56:27 PM

Thanks...it was an irritating issue. I believe the Windows 7 wasn't forgetting the "old settings" of our home network.

Thanks for your support!
m
l
!