Assamite Newsletter August 2005

Author: Jarkko Suvela

Table of Contents:
Castes of Clan Assamite
Decks of the Month
Next Issue

Castes of Clan Assamite
---------------------------------------
Sorcerer, Vizier and Warrior. These are the castes of Clan Assamite.
They are kind of like clans within a clan, because there is such a big
difference in their discipline spreads. This month I will highlight
each of these castes and give examples of the kinds of unusual
combinations that can be achieved by using their caste disciplines.

Sorcerers have Quietus, Celerity, Obfuscate, Thaumaturgy and Auspex as
their distinctive disciplines. Notable vampires from this caste include
Al Ashrad and Parnassus.
Quietus, Celerity and Thaumaturgy is a very deadly combination, whether
it's used for close-range combat or long-range combat. Its best-known
combination is that of Theft of Vitae and Taste of Death, using
additional strikes from Celerity. This can burn a vampire with six or
less blood on it.

Combinations and notes for this Caste:
Rush with Perfect Clarity - this prevents the use of Presence and
Dominate in combat and reactions. So no more Obedience, Thoughts
Betrayed or Presence-based Strike: Combat Ends.
Minion Tap and Theft of Vitae with Blur - with these cards you can gain
quite a lot of blood and pool, simultaneously emptying your
opponents' vampires, which is always good. If you sprinkle Taste of
Deaths in your deck, you can easily burn a vampire if there's no
prevention at hand.
Thin Blood, Blood to Water and Kali's Fang - these cards can burn
opposing vampires very easily. Non-damage blood loss can be up to 8
blood and Kali's Fang provides the necessary +1 strength aggravated
damage in order to burn the now-empty vampire. (Vampiric Speed is
recommended to get to the second round of combat safely.)
Quicken Sight and Draught of the Soul are well-known to this Caste as
well.

Viziers have Quietus, Celerity, Auspex, Presence and Fortitude as their
distinctive disciplines. Notable vampires include Tegyrius and Antara.
Auspex and Fortitude can be the cornerstones in wall-type deck.
Presence, on the other hand, gives the addition of bigger bleeds than
the Assamites are normally able to pull off.

Combinations and notes for this Caste:
Bruise and Bleed with Presence - Auspex allows you to play
Crocodile's Tongue and Quietus gives you access to Thin Blood. With
just these two cards, you can make the opposing minion burn 2-4 blood
before you even get to the strike step.
Save Combat Cards - use Aura Reading to know what your opponent has in
store for you, or play Kiss of Ra if you think that you might need
those combat cards later on in the game.
Quicken Sight, Forced March and Draught of the Soul are used frequently
in Vizier decks.

Warriors have Quietus, Celerity, Obfuscate, Dominate and Potence as
their distinctive disciplines. Notable vampires include Thetmes and
Jalal Sayad.
The warrior caste is the least well-represented of the three castes, if
you're looking for vampires with both Potence and Dominate on them.
So if you're interested in Warriors, you should make a choice of
using only one of those two disciplines. Dominate, Quietus and
Obfuscate allow you to play powerbleed with no stealth quite easily.
Potence and Quietus, on the other hand, have really nasty combinations
in combat.

Combinations and notes for this Caste:
Disease, Selective Silence and Immortal Grapple - it is really rare
that your opponent will be able to strike back at you if you pull this
combo off, unless of course he/she uses Potence.
Eye of Hazimel - this equipment gives superior Potence, one rush per
turn, +1 strength, and a reduction in the cost of combat cards. Yes, it
does have an expensive cost, so you should consider adding Mylan
Horseed or some other means of getting more actions out of your vampire
to keep the cost balanced with its effect. Hand of Conrad is another
way to graft Potence onto one of your Assamites.
Powerbleed with Block Denial - Deed of the Heart's Desire, Elder
Impersonation, Seduction and the Sleeping Mind give you 4 block denials
on a single action. Combined with Dominate's potential to bleed big,
this is disastrous for your opponent. (Bounce is still a threat, so put
in a few Change of Target or Spying Mission to ensure the safety of
your grandprey.)

All and all, this was my idea of showing that there is a lot of
diversity amongst Assamite vampires and you can make almost any kind of
deck with them, be it super-killers with Warrior and Sorcerer castes,
or hyper-interceptors with the Vizier caste.

Decks of the Month
---------------------------------------
Yes, this month I'm presenting more than just one deck. Here are
three different decks, featuring the three castes of the Assamite clan
described above. All three decks are old (pre-10th Anniversary), but
they have worked well for me in the past.

Deck Name: Wicked Wizards of the East
Author: Jarkko Suvela

Crypt:
Ashrad x3 CEL THA QUI aus obf (+1 bleed, burn a location special)
Kalinda x3 CEL OBF tha (innate inferior Dominate Kine)
Zahir x2 CEL OBF tha qui (can take action to retrieve Contract from
Library)
Hanna Redmonds obf tha (older vampires get optional maneuver or press)
Sandra White x3 (when diablerizes, target Methuselah burns 1 pool)

Library: 90 cards

Master:
Blood Doll x5
Perfectionist x2
Thaumaturgy x2
KRCG New Radio
Rumor Mill
Market Square
Rötschreck

Action:
Rutor's Hand x3
Bum's Rush x3
Ambush x3

Equipment:
Leather Jacket x3
Veneficorum Artum Sanguis
Ivory Bow
Black Gloves
Kali's Fang
Improv. Flamer x2

Modifiers:
Perfect Clarity x2
Spying Mission x3

Reaction:
Forced Awakening x5
Foul Blood x2

Combat:
Blood to Water x2
Disguised Weapon x4
Sideslip x6
Blur x3
Acrobatics x2
Pursuit x5
Theft of Vitae x9
Shadow Feint x3
Psyche! x6

Combo:
Swallowed by the Night x6
---------------------------------------

Deck Name: Tegyrius Smiles with Grace
Author: Jarkko Suvela

Crypt:
Tariq, the Silent x4 AUS FOR QUI OBF cel (archon and innate rush)
Tegyrius, the Vizier x3 AUS CEL FOR QUI pre (+1 strength, Camarilla
special)
Teggy, the Vizier ADV x1 AUS CEL FOR QUI PRE (Voteburn, Merged:
Justicar)
Fatima x4 CEL OBF QUI aus for (innate inferior Disguised weapon)

Library: 83

Masters: 14
Auspex
Celerity
Guardian Angel
Blood Doll x4
Smiling Jack x3
Powerbase: Montreal
Rötschreck
Carver's Meat Packing and Storage x2

Actions: x6
Pulse of the Canaille x3
Jack of Both Sides x3

Equipment: x5
Palatial Estate
Ivory Bow
Sengir Dagger
Bowl of Convergence
IR Goggles

Modifiers: 7
Freak Drive x7

Reaction: 24
Eagle's Sight x6
Quicken Sight x6
Forced Awakening x8
Fast Reaction x2

Combat: 23
Taste of Death x5
Pursuit x6
Rolling with the Punches x6
Psyche! x6

Combo: 3
Draught of the Soul x3

Event: 1
Dragonbound
---------------------------------------

Deck Name: Brujamites
Author: Jarkko Suvela

Crypt:
Akram x3 CEL QUI pot pre (Primogen, innate Psyche!)
Jalal Sayad x3 CEL QUI pot (innate Psyche!)
Volker x2 CEL pot (Prince, cannot block Primogen)
Parmenides x2 CEL qui (+1 strength, first round goes to predator)
Nik cel (Brujah get +1 intercept against Nik)
Antoinette DuChamp pre cel (cel actions/strikes cost additional blood)

Library: 83

Master: 15
Potence x2
Quietus
Fame x2
Leadership Vacuum
Haven Uncovered x4
Blood Doll x3
Tension in the Ranks
Humanitas

Action/Equipment: 9
Sanguine instruction
Bum's Rush x4
Harass x3
Rampage

Equipment: 3
Eye of Hazimel x2
Hand of Conrad

Reaction: 12
WwEF x6
Foul Blood x2
Pack Tactics x4

Combat: 43
Disease x6
Torn Signpost x5
Flash x8
Immortal Grapple x7
Blur x5
Taste of Vitae x6
Blood Agony x3
Pushing the Limit x3

Event: 1
Dragonbound

Next Issue
---------------------------------------
Theme Decks: The Storytelling
Politics - Should we fool around with it?

-Signal off-

> Warriors have Quietus, Celerity, Obfuscate, Dominate and Potence as
> their distinctive disciplines. Notable vampires include Thetmes and
> Jalal Sayad.
> The warrior caste is the least well-represented of the three castes, if
> you're looking for vampires with both Potence and Dominate on them.
> So if you're interested in Warriors, you should make a choice of
> using only one of those two disciplines. Dominate, Quietus and
> Obfuscate allow you to play powerbleed with no stealth quite easily.
> Potence and Quietus, on the other hand, have really nasty combinations
> in combat.
>
> Combinations and notes for this Caste:
> Disease, Selective Silence and Immortal Grapple - it is really rare
> that your opponent will be able to strike back at you if you pull this
> combo off, unless of course he/she uses Potence.
> Eye of Hazimel - this equipment gives superior Potence, one rush per
> turn, +1 strength, and a reduction in the cost of combat cards. Yes, it
> does have an expensive cost, so you should consider adding Mylan
> Horseed or some other means of getting more actions out of your vampire
> to keep the cost balanced with its effect. Hand of Conrad is another
> way to graft Potence onto one of your Assamites.
> Powerbleed with Block Denial - Deed of the Heart's Desire, Elder
> Impersonation, Seduction and the Sleeping Mind give you 4 block denials
> on a single action. Combined with Dominate's potential to bleed big,
> this is disastrous for your opponent. (Bounce is still a threat, so put
> in a few Change of Target or Spying Mission to ensure the safety of
> your grandprey.)

Don't Forget how well a Web of Knives recruit fits into a warriors
deck, coming pre-equipped with pot, cel, qui, obf.

-Bem

If you are referring the "decks of the month" section, they're all made
before 10th anniversary was printed.

I forgot to mention about it in the Caste section, true. Though I
think it's quite no-brainer

(everyone fiddles with the new progeny-cards made for Indie clans)

:)