(LSJ): Trophy: Hunting Grounds

LSJ,

Could you please comment on the following scenario :-

I am playing Malk! and have dug with Sibyls for a number of Trophy
Hunting Grounds and an Escaped Mental Patient, which I have played. I
then make the Patient Red List and rush one of my prey's vampires.

In the ensuing combat, does the Patient trigger the Red List if I use
his burn option and/or if I just allow him to take a point of hand
damage ?

Assuming either of these, can I then transfer all my trophies to the
opposing vampire, and if I can, what happens to the hunting grounds if
this vampire is subsequently burned or leaves the game ?

All this of course to be followed by as many Chapterhouses as I can
defend. Yes, I know it's possibly only going to get me a point, but
still fun nonetheless.

Many thanks,

Incarnadyne
8 answers Last reply
More about trophy hunting grounds

    In message <1124367021.097064.219190@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    Incarnadyne <phil@incarnadyne.freeserve.co.uk> writes:
    >I am playing Malk! and have dug with Sibyls for a number of Trophy
    >Hunting Grounds and an Escaped Mental Patient, which I have played. I
    >then make the Patient Red List and rush one of my prey's vampires.

    Okay.

    >In the ensuing combat, does the Patient trigger the Red List if I use
    >his burn option and/or if I just allow him to take a point of hand
    >damage ?

    Yes, for the opposing vampire.

    The normal combat damage is how you'd usually burn an ally in combat.

    The agg damage burn one is in combat, confirmed here, as Left For Dead
    can only be played here:
    <http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/a
    3fb69badc08dbdf?hl=en&>

    And since it's then a burn by any cause in combat, it triggers Trophies.

    <http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/8
    e12b5d511d9ad34?hl=en&>

    "If anything burns the opposing Red Lister in combat, the opposing
    vampire gets Trophied."

    >Assuming either of these, can I then transfer all my trophies to the
    >opposing vampire

    Yes.

    "When any vampire burns a Red List minion in combat or as a (D)
    action (including diablerie), the controller of the trophy may
    choose to move the trophy to that vampire. Any number of
    trophies in play may be moved to the vampire in this way (in
    addition to the single trophy that the vampire's controller may
    retrieve from her library, ash heap or hand)."

    >, and if I can, what happens to the hunting grounds if
    >this vampire is subsequently burned or leaves the game ?

    They burn, and go to their owner's ash heap, just as any other card on
    the vampire would.

    >All this of course to be followed by as many Chapterhouses as I can
    >defend. Yes, I know it's possibly only going to get me a point, but
    >still fun nonetheless.

    Heh. Sick and Wrong.

    Sadly, Arcanum Chapterhouse, Alexandria, is unique. Still worth a try,
    though. :-)

    --
    James Coupe
    PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.

    James Coupe wrote:

    > Sadly, Arcanum Chapterhouse, Alexandria, is unique. Still worth a try,
    > though. :-)

    ..

    Many thanks for all your pointers to relevant postings, hard to find
    these things unless you know where to look.

    I appreciate that Arcanum Chapterhouse is unique, I should have phrased
    my last paragraph much better. When I said play as many I can, I meant
    in sequence as they get burned. The one and only time I tried this out
    before KMW I was using a weenie diversity crypt with Clan hunting
    grounds and Disputed Territory. This pretty much meant I was unable to
    defend the Chapterhouse for long and instead had to replay them,
    largely using Anthelios/Parthenon. (Of course, Mata Hari solves a lot
    of these problems, and I might give that a go sometime !) Even so, I
    came close to ousting, just running out of blockers.

    Thinking about it, as this new version isn't weenie dependent the
    possibility of defending the chapterhouse seems much more likely,
    possibly using EMP/disguised agg weapons and Rotschreck. I really want
    to avoid Anthelios if I can, as prey Taps/Blood Dolls can really be a
    pain for this deck. In fact, the first thing I'd probably Sibyl for is
    Bleeding the Vine. Add in some Smiling Jack and Millicent for added
    pressure.

    Not a Tournament deck or even a local league deck, but possibly just
    "sick and wrong" enough to be worth a quick build, though I'm going to
    proxy the Trophies !

    Incarnadyne.

    Incarnadyne wrote:
    > All this of course to be followed by as many Chapterhouses as I can
    > defend. Yes, I know it's possibly only going to get me a point, but
    > still fun nonetheless.

    So you'll take an action and pay for a Mental Patient, take an action
    to make it Red List, then lose it in combat, then give one of your
    prey's vampires two blood a turn, so that later you can spend a master
    phase to make him lose one pool a turn? Man, do I want you as my
    predator. :)

    You could improve this deck slightly by including Klaus van der Veken
    to cancel out the hunting ground.

    Incarnadyne wrote:
    > All this of course to be followed by as many Chapterhouses as I can
    > defend. Yes, I know it's possibly only going to get me a point, but
    > still fun nonetheless.

    Wait! It's worse than I thought! You control the Trophy: Hunting Ground
    you put on the opposing minion, so your prey won't have to burn pool to
    the Chapterhouse for it.

    Emmit Svenson wrote:
    > Incarnadyne wrote:
    > > All this of course to be followed by as many Chapterhouses as I can
    > > defend. Yes, I know it's possibly only going to get me a point, but
    > > still fun nonetheless.
    >
    > Wait! It's worse than I thought! You control the Trophy: Hunting Ground
    > you put on the opposing minion, so your prey won't have to burn pool to
    > the Chapterhouse for it.

    The idea was more that you would transfer maybe four or five hunting
    grounds to your prey, for four or five pool a turn.

    But you're absolutely right about the control issue; kind of shoots the
    whole thing down.

    Thanks for the advice, if not the tone.

    Incarnadyne.

    Incarnadyne wrote:
    > Thanks for the advice, if not the tone.

    My apologies if it sounded snarky. Believe me, I've come up with ideas
    ten times worse. I only wish someone had laughed and pointed before I
    went through the trouble of building the decks.

    In message <1124465880.797423.236510@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    Emmit Svenson <emmitsvenson@hotmail.com> writes:
    >Wait! It's worse than I thought! You control the Trophy: Hunting Ground
    >you put on the opposing minion, so your prey won't have to burn pool to
    >the Chapterhouse for it.

    This post: <http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.games.trading-
    cards.jyhad/msg/a4c22d9a83c46ebe?hl=en&> canvassed opinion about a
    reversal of control. (There are a number of issues here.)

    I don't believe a ruling has been made on this, now I check. Possibly,
    it's being saved for another Rules Team post.

    --
    James Coupe
    PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.
    EBD690ECD7A1FB457CA2 NO-ONE IS SCREAMING.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Emmit Svenson wrote:
    > My apologies if it sounded snarky. Believe me, I've come up with ideas
    > ten times worse. I only wish someone had laughed and pointed before I
    > went through the trouble of building the decks.

    That's kind of you. Now I feel bad about getting upitty.

    And you're quite right - better to be shot down now than in a game or
    even a tournament. But I'm still going to give it a go if the ruling on
    control changes.

    Regards,

    Incarnadyne.

Games Video Games