(LSJ): Trophy: Hunting Grounds

Last response: in Video Games
August 18, 2005 9:10:21 AM

LSJ,

Could you please comment on the following scenario :-

I am playing Malk! and have dug with Sibyls for a number of Trophy
Hunting Grounds and an Escaped Mental Patient, which I have played. I
then make the Patient Red List and rush one of my prey's vampires.

In the ensuing combat, does the Patient trigger the Red List if I use
his burn option and/or if I just allow him to take a point of hand
damage ?

Assuming either of these, can I then transfer all my trophies to the
opposing vampire, and if I can, what happens to the hunting grounds if
this vampire is subsequently burned or leaves the game ?

All this of course to be followed by as many Chapterhouses as I can
defend. Yes, I know it's possibly only going to get me a point, but
still fun nonetheless.

Many thanks,

Incarnadyne
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 11:10:08 PM

In message <1124367021.097064.219190@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Incarnadyne <phil@incarnadyne.freeserve.co.uk> writes:
>I am playing Malk! and have dug with Sibyls for a number of Trophy
>Hunting Grounds and an Escaped Mental Patient, which I have played. I
>then make the Patient Red List and rush one of my prey's vampires.

Okay.

>In the ensuing combat, does the Patient trigger the Red List if I use
>his burn option and/or if I just allow him to take a point of hand
>damage ?

Yes, for the opposing vampire.

The normal combat damage is how you'd usually burn an ally in combat.

The agg damage burn one is in combat, confirmed here, as Left For Dead
can only be played here:
<http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-c...
3fb69badc08dbdf?hl=en&>

And since it's then a burn by any cause in combat, it triggers Trophies.

<http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-c...
e12b5d511d9ad34?hl=en&>

"If anything burns the opposing Red Lister in combat, the opposing
vampire gets Trophied."

>Assuming either of these, can I then transfer all my trophies to the
>opposing vampire

Yes.

"When any vampire burns a Red List minion in combat or as a (D)
action (including diablerie), the controller of the trophy may
choose to move the trophy to that vampire. Any number of
trophies in play may be moved to the vampire in this way (in
addition to the single trophy that the vampire's controller may
retrieve from her library, ash heap or hand)."

>, and if I can, what happens to the hunting grounds if
>this vampire is subsequently burned or leaves the game ?

They burn, and go to their owner's ash heap, just as any other card on
the vampire would.

>All this of course to be followed by as many Chapterhouses as I can
>defend. Yes, I know it's possibly only going to get me a point, but
>still fun nonetheless.

Heh. Sick and Wrong.

Sadly, Arcanum Chapterhouse, Alexandria, is unique. Still worth a try,
though. :-)

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.

James Coupe wrote:

> Sadly, Arcanum Chapterhouse, Alexandria, is unique. Still worth a try,
> though. :-)

..

Many thanks for all your pointers to relevant postings, hard to find
these things unless you know where to look.

I appreciate that Arcanum Chapterhouse is unique, I should have phrased
my last paragraph much better. When I said play as many I can, I meant
in sequence as they get burned. The one and only time I tried this out
before KMW I was using a weenie diversity crypt with Clan hunting
grounds and Disputed Territory. This pretty much meant I was unable to
defend the Chapterhouse for long and instead had to replay them,
largely using Anthelios/Parthenon. (Of course, Mata Hari solves a lot
of these problems, and I might give that a go sometime !) Even so, I
came close to ousting, just running out of blockers.

Thinking about it, as this new version isn't weenie dependent the
possibility of defending the chapterhouse seems much more likely,
possibly using EMP/disguised agg weapons and Rotschreck. I really want
to avoid Anthelios if I can, as prey Taps/Blood Dolls can really be a
pain for this deck. In fact, the first thing I'd probably Sibyl for is
Bleeding the Vine. Add in some Smiling Jack and Millicent for added
pressure.

Not a Tournament deck or even a local league deck, but possibly just
"sick and wrong" enough to be worth a quick build, though I'm going to
proxy the Trophies !

Incarnadyne.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 12:35:45 PM

Incarnadyne wrote:
> All this of course to be followed by as many Chapterhouses as I can
> defend. Yes, I know it's possibly only going to get me a point, but
> still fun nonetheless.

So you'll take an action and pay for a Mental Patient, take an action
to make it Red List, then lose it in combat, then give one of your
prey's vampires two blood a turn, so that later you can spend a master
phase to make him lose one pool a turn? Man, do I want you as my
predator. :)

You could improve this deck slightly by including Klaus van der Veken
to cancel out the hunting ground.
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 12:38:00 PM

Incarnadyne wrote:
> All this of course to be followed by as many Chapterhouses as I can
> defend. Yes, I know it's possibly only going to get me a point, but
> still fun nonetheless.

Wait! It's worse than I thought! You control the Trophy: Hunting Ground
you put on the opposing minion, so your prey won't have to burn pool to
the Chapterhouse for it.
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 3:00:25 PM

Emmit Svenson wrote:
> Incarnadyne wrote:
> > All this of course to be followed by as many Chapterhouses as I can
> > defend. Yes, I know it's possibly only going to get me a point, but
> > still fun nonetheless.
>
> Wait! It's worse than I thought! You control the Trophy: Hunting Ground
> you put on the opposing minion, so your prey won't have to burn pool to
> the Chapterhouse for it.

The idea was more that you would transfer maybe four or five hunting
grounds to your prey, for four or five pool a turn.

But you're absolutely right about the control issue; kind of shoots the
whole thing down.

Thanks for the advice, if not the tone.

Incarnadyne.
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 7:30:41 PM

Incarnadyne wrote:
> Thanks for the advice, if not the tone.

My apologies if it sounded snarky. Believe me, I've come up with ideas
ten times worse. I only wish someone had laughed and pointed before I
went through the trouble of building the decks.
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 11:03:12 PM

In message <1124465880.797423.236510@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Emmit Svenson <emmitsvenson@hotmail.com> writes:
>Wait! It's worse than I thought! You control the Trophy: Hunting Ground
>you put on the opposing minion, so your prey won't have to burn pool to
>the Chapterhouse for it.

This post: <http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.games.trading-
cards.jyhad/msg/a4c22d9a83c46ebe?hl=en&> canvassed opinion about a
reversal of control. (There are a number of issues here.)

I don't believe a ruling has been made on this, now I check. Possibly,
it's being saved for another Rules Team post.

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.
EBD690ECD7A1FB457CA2 NO-ONE IS SCREAMING.
August 23, 2005 10:18:29 AM

Emmit Svenson wrote:
> My apologies if it sounded snarky. Believe me, I've come up with ideas
> ten times worse. I only wish someone had laughed and pointed before I
> went through the trouble of building the decks.

That's kind of you. Now I feel bad about getting upitty.

And you're quite right - better to be shot down now than in a game or
even a tournament. But I'm still going to give it a go if the ruling on
control changes.

Regards,

Incarnadyne.
!