Samuel Haight got Hand? Question

So I'm pretty sure Samuel Haight can equip Rutors Hand...

but can he use it? The wording makes me not sure...

Rutor's Hand

+1 stealth action. [tha] Put this card on the acting vampire. The
vampire takes 1 aggravated damage (damage not preventable). Beginning
with your next turn, THE VAMPIRE gets one additional untap during each
of your minion phases for the remainder of the game. A vampire can have
only 1 Rutor`s Hand. [THA] As above, but this acting vampire may
prevent the aggravated damage by burning 3 additional blood.

Samuel Haight

Unique werewolf with 4 life. 3 strength, 0 bleed. Once each action,
Samuel may burn a life to get +1 bleed. He may steal equipment as a
strike. He may play cards requiring basic Celerity [cel] or basic
Thaumaturgy [tha] AS A VAMPIRE. Any vampire may call a referendum to
make Samuel become Red List as a +1 stealth political action. If Samuel
has less than 4 life during your untap phase, he gains 1 life from the
blood bank.
12 answers Last reply
More about samuel haight hand question

    If memory serves me well ally who recieves aggravated damage is burned.

    Sathriel

    I don't think so... you just take a damage. There is always that Burst
    of Sunlight/Talaq the immortal trick...

    <adam.hulse@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > So I'm pretty sure Samuel Haight can equip Rutors Hand...
    >
    > but can he use it? The wording makes me not sure...
    >

    > Rutor's Hand
    >
    > +1 stealth action. [tha] Put this card on the acting vampire. The
    > vampire takes 1 aggravated damage (damage not preventable). Beginning
    > with your next turn, THE VAMPIRE gets one additional untap during each
    > of your minion phases for the remainder of the game. A vampire can have
    > only 1 Rutor`s Hand. [THA] As above, but this acting vampire may
    > prevent the aggravated damage by burning 3 additional blood.
    >
    > Samuel Haight
    >
    > Unique werewolf with 4 life. 3 strength, 0 bleed. Once each action,
    > Samuel may burn a life to get +1 bleed. He may steal equipment as a
    > strike. He may play cards requiring basic Celerity [cel] or basic
    > Thaumaturgy [tha] AS A VAMPIRE. Any vampire may call a referendum to
    > make Samuel become Red List as a +1 stealth political action. If Samuel
    > has less than 4 life during your untap phase, he gains 1 life from the
    > blood bank.

    Samuel Haight can take the Rutors Hand action (an instance of playing a card
    which requieres Thaum), but he fails to gain any further benefit from that
    action. Per your ALL CAPS text, he needs to be a vampire to gain any
    benefit, and his card text Thaum only applies during the initial playing of
    the card.

    DaveZ
    Atom Weaver

    <adam.hulse@gmail.com> wrote
    >I don't think so... you just take a damage. There is always that Burst
    > of Sunlight/Talaq the immortal trick...

    ....which is no longer as impressive a trick as it once was.

    Current Burst of Sunlight card text:

    Basic: Strike: 1R, aggravated. This striking vampire also takes 1 aggravated
    damage.

    Superior: Strike: 2R, aggravated. This striking vampire also takes 2
    aggravated damage.

    Thus making "as a vampire" plays of Burst damage the ally that plays it
    (although as you say, the ally burns life for this damage without regard for
    it being aggravated).

    DaveZ
    Atom Weaver

    In message <1124390514.398941.164660@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    sathriel@o2.pl writes:
    >If memory serves me well ally who recieves aggravated damage is burned.

    It doesn't.

    An ally who is sent to torpor is burned. This has to be done with a
    specific side-effect/whatever of a card, rather than aggravated damage
    though. (There used to be a loophole which could get the Shadow Court
    Satyr into torpor, but since allies never had the option to leave
    torpor, he'd be stuck.)

    Agg damage is just treated as normal damage by allies, though.

    --
    James Coupe
    PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.

    In message <1124389628.288175.50070@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    adam.hulse@gmail.com writes:
    >So I'm pretty sure Samuel Haight can equip

    play, not equip

    >Rutors Hand...
    >
    >but can he use it?

    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/a4503
    40fdf777b8f?hl=en&

    is the same ruling on Talaq. The answer is no.

    Allies using pretend-to-be-a-vampire specials can play them as a
    vampire. However, if a card lingers around in play, they don't carry on
    pretending to be a vampire.

    --
    James Coupe
    PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.
    EBD690ECD7A1FB457CA2 NO-ONE IS SCREAMING.

    Samuel may not be able to use the RH, but he can still do one useful
    thing with it - Samual can write an Inscription of the ritual for one
    of your vampires to use.

    ....I explored this sort of idea as a possibility for the Infernal
    plague tournament. I dropped the idea cos it would be way too slow /
    card intensive, but there may be a better way to do it that I haven't
    considered. My best case (amazingly unlikely) scenario was:

    Turn 1 Jake Washington in play. Recruit a Rafastio Ghoul.

    Turn 2 Info Highway in play. Ghoul gets Inscription of RH. Fatima and
    2-cap obf weenie come into play.

    Turn 3 Ghoul Raves Inscription to Fatima. Fatima roots hand. Obfuscate
    weenie rescues Fatima.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    On 18 Aug 2005 20:53:21 -0700, hollowboy
    <icantbelievehollowboywasalreadytaken@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Samuel may not be able to use the RH, but he can still do one useful
    > thing with it - Samual can write an Inscription of the ritual for one
    > of your vampires to use.
    >
    > ...I explored this sort of idea as a possibility for the Infernal
    > plague tournament. I dropped the idea cos it would be way too slow /
    > card intensive, but there may be a better way to do it that I haven't
    > considered. My best case (amazingly unlikely) scenario was:
    >
    > Turn 1 Jake Washington in play. Recruit a Rafastio Ghoul.
    >
    > Turn 2 Info Highway in play. Ghoul gets Inscription of RH. Fatima and
    > 2-cap obf weenie come into play.
    >
    > Turn 3 Ghoul Raves Inscription to Fatima. Fatima roots hand. Obfuscate
    > weenie rescues Fatima.

    You can also Magic of the Smith the Inscription, if you plan to keep it
    on the performing minion anyway. Might add a few more cards to the
    combo to make it more unlikely... ;)

    --
    Bye,

    Daneel
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    In fact, and ally never goes into torpor. when his life reach zero, is
    burned. Meaningfull to stuff like fama
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Rutor´s hand is not and equipament, nor blood or life, so it can´t be
    "raved", and magic of the smith won´t work also.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Hello - please quote relevant material from the post you are responding
    to, like this. This can be done by using reply in the message options
    for the individual message, on Google.

    In message <1124608596.768823.15880@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    "christianpastor@gmail.com" <christianpastor@gmail.com> writes:
    >In fact, and ally never goes into torpor. when his life reach zero, is
    >burned.

    As was pointed out in the post to which you responded (mine), it was a
    loophole:

    >(There used to be a loophole which could get the Shadow Court
    >Satyr into torpor, but since allies never had the option to leave
    >torpor, he'd be stuck.)

    The loophole applied to cards such as Ashes to Ashes which an ally like
    Shadow Court Satyr could play "as a vampire" which have direct
    instructions to "go to torpor". At this point, the ally would go to
    torpor.

    The rules were later changed so that the ally would then be burned,
    since going to torpor was entirely non-meaningful.

    --
    James Coupe
    PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.
    EBD690ECD7A1FB457CA2 NO-ONE IS SCREAMING.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    In message <1124609283.700949.298100@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    "christianpastor@gmail.com" <christianpastor@gmail.com> writes:
    >Rutor´s hand is not and equipament, nor blood or life, so it can´t be
    >"raved", and magic of the smith won´t work also.

    No-one was suggesting that Rutor's Hand is equipment.

    However, Inscription - which was referenced in the posts you are
    following up - *is* a piece of equipment, and so could be moved about
    with Rave (or various other ways of moving equipment) and could be
    fetched with Magic of the Smith.

    The suggestion was that Samuel would play Inscription, and your vampires
    could fetch it. Which seems like a very costly way of planning to use
    Samuel for something a Thaumaturgy weenie could do, but is a playable
    combo if Samuel finds himself without something useful to do right at
    that moment.

    --
    James Coupe
    PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.
    EBD690ECD7A1FB457CA2 NO-ONE IS SCREAMING.

Games Video Games