I wanted to be the first to Ask.

So I've found a FX5800 ultra online for cheap.

How do I mod it to a 5900Ultra?

Do I need one of them small/underperforming HSF or can I stick with the one I get?

Oh, and since the 5800 core and memory are faster, shouldn't it be a faster card?

I'll sit here waiting for your responses while zipping my Zima and Crystal Pepsi.

Thunks!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red> :tongue: GA to SK

Ryan_Plus_One

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2003
You can't mod your memory bandwidth to 256. Plus, the 5800 already runs too hot for comfort. After reading that article on the front page it doesn't look like modding 5800 to 5900 will be possible.

Sarke

Distinguished
May 4, 2003
Yeah, the nv35 is a completely different chip than nv30. It would be like trying to mod a i845 to a i875! Besdies, as Ryan_Plus_One said, you would have flames shooting out of your PC (very loud flames I might add) if you try and OC a nv30. The nv30 reminded me of the last 3dfx card (that 2 feet long, brute force card that was a last desperate attempt at performence), good thing nVidia had the nv35 ready to whip out.

"Shouldn't you be working?" - Boss looking over Grape's shoulder....

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
crystal pepsi? that was gross. and zima? blech. now thats a girly drink if i ever seen one.

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>

Cleeve man! You mean it can't be done?

Dang! Gotta get me some liquid paper and sell this quick as a 5900 to some unsuspecting E-bayer!

'New in box Nvidia 58, err 59 hundred Ultra!

It looks like I took advantage of people (newbie)'s Goodwill again. Ooops!

And <b>SARKE</b>, my boss don't work my hours and the work gets done, so I'm cruisin'.
And don't be touchin' me man! :tongue:

MMMmm, CRYSTAL GRAVY another fine product brought to you by SNL, the folks who gave you Schwetty Balls!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red> :tongue: GA to SK

Mmm Aloe. Yes Feel Good!

But enough about me, how's Lars, and where's our Power consumption heat production figures.

Also an updated comparison of all the current cards would be a nice thing to see over the next couple of month especially including the new Doom ]|[ banchmark.

dinkster9

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2001
well, then, can't i just pick up a 5600 and turn it into a 5900u? I'm betting i'll need a 12'x12' fan with a optima blue top battery to run the thing...lol. please don't mention crystal pepsi again, uuuuuuuuuugggggggggghhhhhhh!!!

"sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick"
*grabs a stick and places it into the flames; mmmm, smores*
%Think before you act would be a good motto%

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
You can't mod your memory bandwidth to 256. Plus, the 5800 already runs too hot for comfort. After reading that article on the front page it doesn't look like modding 5800 to 5900 will be possible.

ahahaha... noob

-------

<A HREF="http://www.xgr.com" target="_new">XGR-Game Reviews</A>

"You change the channel, and you change our minds..." - System of a Down

CasualCat2001

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
<b>first you must remove the current hsf:</b>
-place your card in the oven to get it nice and hot (450 should do it at 15 min)
-this will make the hsf easier to remove
don't forget to save this fan, you never know when you might need it as a replacement part for a conair hairdryer
<b>second, and this is the tricky part, you have to remove the GPU chip:</b>
-find a straight slot screwdriver
-find a hammer
-now take the screwdriver and insert it under the corner of the chip and pry that bad boy off...don't worry about any twisting or bending, that is what the hammer is for
-next if your chip is bent, place it on some concrete and hammer it flat again
-now you need to solder the chip back on 90 degrees counter-clockwise...phew almost there stay with me
<b>third, making the new hsf:</b>
-get some wax
-find a friend who already has a 5900
-get some copper and some clay
-heat the wax and poor it over the hsf of your friends 5900
-wait for it to cool, this will be the start of your mold
-carfully remove the wax without breaking it
-cut out the center where the fan goes
-now work the clay around the outside of the wax mold
-fire the clay so it is hardened
-now you can melt the copper and pour it into your new clay mold
-after it has cooled, attach a standard antec 80mm case fan to the new copper heatsink
<b>finally attach the hsf to the chip with artic silver thermal paste and you are ready to go</b>

ROFLMAO!

Owee my A$$ hurts shouldn't do that!
So is it an Easy bake oven? I can never get tha lightbulb to cook my freakin' Pizzas! Mmm Doughey, aaahh!

BTW, what's a screwdriver? Is this going to get technical because my A+ certification still hasn't come back from Sally Struthers!
Can I use Play-doh instead of clay? Do I get to Eat the wax after I'm done? Should I put it in the oven too? Mmmm, Heatsink-Floor-Pie-Wax!

Dhlucke - Lol !

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
yur stoopid :p

-------

<A HREF="http://www.xgr.com" target="_new">XGR-Game Reviews</A>

"You change the channel, and you change our minds..." - System of a Down