Sign in with
Your question

Laptop Video Cards & Gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 12, 2003 4:14:45 PM

I am considering purchasing a new laptop, but am concerned that the video cards can't support decent gaming. I am not a big time gamer, but I'd like to play them on occasion. Do the video cards in today's laptops offer enough performance for part-time gaming???

Thanks,

Eric
a b U Graphics card
May 12, 2003 4:24:53 PM

Most of the NEw mobile chipsets support 'occasional' gaming. The ATI Radeon 9000 mobile and the GF 4XXX 4 go series are DX8.1 compatible (and trade performance firgures); the newer Radeon 9600 mobile and Fx5600 mobile are DX9 chips. The Radeon 9600 however is a much more powerful chip than the FX mobile according to all the press (which I don't have handy here at work, however there was a base comparison in this past months Maximum PC [may issue]).

For the most part if you are just a casual gamer then the Radeon 7XXX or GF 4XX 4 go series will be good enough, for a little more (and respectable frames in UT2K3, etc.) then go with the R9000 or GF 4XXX 4 go or the new FX go. And if you want semi-desktop level performance, then go with the 9600 mobile chip.

And once again, that's just my 2 frames worth.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red> :tongue: GA to SK
May 12, 2003 4:39:39 PM

There's aso one model from Dell that you can replace the video card in. I can't look it up right now as my bookmark is giving me error 404 but Toms used it in one of their reviews about a year ago.

Check the mobile computing section on Toms webpage. He has several reviews of mobile graphics.

For occasional gaming the radeon 9000 should be good enough.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend.
Related resources
May 12, 2003 4:40:10 PM

Many laptops don't have decent response time for their screens. It's likely to see ghosting on those displays when playing games. I suggest you try one out first before you buy it.
May 12, 2003 4:44:51 PM

Ah, found it. The Dell Inspiron 8100 uses a daughterboard graphics card. In theory you can then buy a new daughterboard from Dell whenever you want to upgrade your mobile graphics chip.

<b>EDIT:</b> <i>I did some more research and found that it's the entire 8xxx line that uses this daughterboard. The current model is the Inspiron 8500</i>

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by knowan on 05/12/03 12:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!