Nvidia or ATI??

voelser

Distinguished
May 12, 2003
Here is the case: I'm not so much of a gamer, but more of a 3D modeller and video artist. At the moment I'm building myself a new system. So far the only part I have is the MB, an Asus A7N8X DLX. I want to put a AMD 2800 on it with 1024MB Corsair RAM. Obviously I want to put a graphics card on it that packs some punch as well. So, until yesterday I was looking at Geforce 4 cards (because Asus uses the Nvidia chip as well), but I've started to doubt and now have an eye on a Gigabyte Radeon 9700 pro Maya II. My only concern about this is that I read reports about the ATI cards not being that stable on AMD sysytems. Is this true, and should I then rather stay with the Nvidia's? Which one do you guys think I should put in?

cleeve

Illustrious
Ati's work just fine with the AMD systems I've used.

But if 3d modelling and not gaming is your focus, the Gaforce4 Ti's are your best bet. Nvidia's opengl drivers have a reputation of being alot faster and stabler in professional applications like 3dsMAX.

On the other hand, for video editing, Ati will give you a crisper display as their 2d image quality is usually superior to Nvidias.

But if 3dmodelling is your focus, I'd go with a Ti4600 or Ti4800. Best modelling performance for the buck.

good luck,

- Cleeve