dinkster9

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2001
As anyone living in the united states, especially the pacific northwest, knows, the state of oregon is in a financial crisis. We have some stupid abscure law that states that we can't operate in a deficite, even for a few years (lol, even though budgets are planned years in advance, when monies coming in change, we are screwed). Almost all of our state revenue is based on income taxes, but our unemployment rates are like at 10% or something. Bascially its impossible to get a job and everyone is being laid off. So guess what, the retail market is also hurting pretty bad, seems like no one wants to go to circuit city and plunk down 10k for a plasma tv these days. BOHOO!. Cry me a river you stupid retail outlets.

How does this relate to Video cards? well, i do all my shopping online (except for parishable foods). I'm a broke college student so saving 50%-80% on something is important to me. I live for auction sites for random stuff and PriceWatch for all my computer needs. What i don't understand is why people still go to retail outlets for computer stuff especially. I went into circuit city the other day and "rented" a 9500pro for 225 bucks. The same exact card i can get online for 175 shipped to my door. It aint worth 50 bucks to support my local economy to me. I sometimes offer to give them the chance to do business with me by trying to work out a deal, but usually they "only match other stores in town prices." How stupid of them, they buy the card for around the same price other retailers buy the card for, so if i'm willing to buy it, they are still making a profit off me, say of 70 bucks instead of 150 bucks, but they are hurting for customers so much, why arn't they more willing to do this? 1/2 the stores in my town have gone belly up. major stores, emplorium, k-mart, motgomery wards, and some others. But i don't feel sorry for them, i've worked in retail before, they don't need a 300% markup to make a profit, they are just too greedy.

Case in point. My circuit city here is selling geforce mx 400 cards for (omg) on sale (20 bucks off) for 79.99$. simmular priceing for all their crap. Super old models of stuff being sold for around 100 bucks. Crap they were selling a verbatium (off brand cd-rw) 48x12x48 for over 120 bucks (internal) being sold on pricewatch for 45 shipped.

So next time you read the paper, don't feel sad for all these stores losing business because of the big bad "internet" they need to get with the times and realize that more and more younger savvy people arn't going for the huge markup anymore.

As my first comment of "renting" if you are unfamiular with this...its the process of buying something from a store which offers a return policy (pick a place with no restocking fee and a generous period of time to "rent" say 14 days or 30 days). You go shopping, find stuff you might like, buy it, if you like it return it and find it for 1/2 off online. In my case i needed a video card while i'm waiting for mine to come so i went and bought the exact model i have coming in the mail. This way i don't even have to change the drivers. lol. Its legal, maybe a tad unethical (but i asked the store, "do i have to have any reason to return this product?" answer was nope, bring it back within 14 days, no questions asked, course that's a lie, they always ask you why you are returning it and you always have to make up some answer, but the policy is still there... Actually i'm doing this because i really hate circuit city. Everytime i go in there, i'm ignored by all the sales staff, like i couldn't possibly need help?, some lady worker actually came down the isle where i was amlessly wondering looking for something and asked this old guy if he need help, then walked away without asking me. Also i applied for a job there and filled out this 90 minute questionaire survey thing. they canceled my interview because someone was too busy, then i went in all dressed up for my next apppointment, that person was in a meeting with some important people, so i waited for 1 hour walking around their crappy stores. After the hour someone came out and said, sorry we are going to have to reschedule again, she's too busy. I said fuc them, i don't want to work here that bad, damn, and have had it in for them ever since. :).

Isn't some profit better than being out of business? Okay, well my rant is over. I'm just waiting for the day you can buy produce off ebay :).

"sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick"
*grabs a stick and places it into the flames; mmmm, smores*
%Think before you act would be a good motto%

cleeve

Illustrious
You're forgetting: an online mail-order store has wayyyyyy lower expenses than a retail outlet.

If you're selling online, your expenses are storage, webspace, and shipping (which you charge the customer extra for)

If you run a retail outlet... don't get me started! Employees, retail space, storage, utilities, taxes, advertising... the list goes on alot longer than that.

It's more expensive to sell through retail, plain and simple. Hence the higher prices.

Not to mention, online retailers can afford to go for lower margins, because they expect volume sales. A fry's can only sell so many Radeon 9700's every week. Let's face it, it's a niche product.

An online retailer with a low price can afford to make very little off of each video card they sell, because they know they'll sell lots of them to entheusiasts who are hunting the lowest price.

Also consider: An online retailer also doesn't have to carry inventory... they can just make an order to get drop shipments when someone orders through them. A retailer on the other hand, has to order stock ahead of time. if it doesn't sell, they're screwed... because computer components lose their value so quickly...

Anyway, lots of reasons that retail is so much more expensive than mail order.

dinkster9

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2001
I agree, i know they have huge operating costs. But a sale is a sale, don't turn customers away. They are in the business of moving merchandise, are they really going to sell all their 2 year old mx420 cards at 99.99$? not bloody likely anytime soon. So if i go in there and offer them say 69.99 for it, we still both mutually benifit from the transaction. I get a decient price on a shitty card, they get ride of a shitty card that they weren't ever going to get ride of anyway.

So my original example was for a better card, the 9500pro, which happens to be the best model they sell, but say they went half's with me. So i can get it online for 175, they are selling it for 225, say i offer them 200, i think that would be a no brainer sale for them. (and you can't tell me they wouldn't make a profit from selling a 9500pro for 200) and they NEED to move merchandise, even at a working loss, just to keep overall sales higher than overall costs (of operations) so my original argument is that all the stores around here are going under, but if they were just a bit flexible with us (me) hardnosed bargin sniffers, they would get a bit more business. And its on the side anyway, its not like everyone going into the store for a 9500pro is now going to be asking for 25 dollars off.

Case in point, I found the car tires I wanted at tirerack.com, but even though they were only 100 bucks per tire, after shipping and mounting and crap its around 500+ for the pair of 4. I took all this detailed information over to firestone (who sells the tire i wanted) and walked in and said the tires i wanted and the price i was willing to pay for them. Ended up getting his cost +10% with a few additional charges for tire hazard stuff (lol) but ended up settling for 550. The actual price in his store for what i got was close to 800 bucks. But see, we both benifited, i got the tires i wanted, he moved some merchandise and made a little profit, AND MOST OF ALL, he made a happy customer, which i have been back to his shop for all my oil changes, all my car problems (alignments, breaks) which i pay the full regular price. So in the long run, he didn't make a huge profit off the tires, but he will earn it back with my loyality.

Firestone firehawk SZ50EP's baby. These tires will rock your world :).

Sarke

Distinguished
May 4, 2003
I don't think he stole it, just bought it so that they would match the price of the internet store(but they wouldn't), and then he returned it. That's my understanding of it....

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
I agree, it is wrong. And everyone know's that it can be done...most choose not to do it. Why he chose to open a thread about how stupid he is, is beyond me.

Pictures of my PC & Me!<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/Genetic_Weapon.html" target="_new">http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/Genetic_Weapon.html</A>
<font color=red>Melb_Angel</font color=red>=<font color=blue>The other white meat!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First of all, they WILL sell all those MX420's for $99 each based on three things: They are made by nVidia, they have a "Huge" 64MB RAM, and the store probably doesn't have much local competition.

As for tires, BFG G-Force KDWS will rock your world! These things are stiff enough to make the CrashVan snap back out of corners!

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

dinkster9

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2001
exactly. I don't want something for nothing, i want something for cheaper :)