2.5 hour finals, proposal/experiment

I am going to be running a constructed tournament in September (Saturday
September 17, 1pm, Your Move Games in Somerville, MA -- email me for
details).
I plan to have a 2.5 hour final round.

But my plan also includes a sliding scale for prizes.
If the finals last 2 hours or less, the prizes will be better than if
they go over 2 hours.

Even though prize support for VTES tournaments is usually not the
primary concern, I figure that this might be good incentive to stop
people from trying to time out the table.

In theory, it could be extended to 3, 4, even no-time-limit finals, as a
system; the prizes get progressively worse over time.

Thoughts about this concept in general?

Jozxyqk wrote:

> In theory, it could be extended to 3, 4, even no-time-limit finals, as a
> system; the prizes get progressively worse over time.
>
> Thoughts about this concept in general?

I certainly think it is interesting and worth tryng out, but--doesn't tthe
prize issue cross the line into "out of game considerations"?

Peter D Bakija
pdb6@lightlink.com
http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6

"So in conclusion, our business plan is to sell hot,
easily spilled liquids to naked people."
-Brittni Meil

Johannes Walch wrote:
> Peter D Bakija wrote:
> >>In theory, it could be extended to 3, 4, even no-time-limit finals, as a
> >>system; the prizes get progressively worse over time.
> >>
> >>Thoughts about this concept in general?
> >

> > I certainly think it is interesting and worth tryng out, but--doesn't tthe
> > prize issue cross the line into "out of game considerations"?
>
> The prizes are part of the game/final so considering them is not
> out-of-game.

Uh, no, I don't agree with that.

Counter-example: Let's say that I already have ten copies of the items
being given away as first prize, but I really covet the t-shirt being
given away for second place.

If I play to win the prize I want, i.e. playing for second instead of
first, I am absolutely taking an out-of-game consideration into account
(and also not playing to win). Just because the prize is being awarded
for the game/final does not make it inherently free from issues of 'out
of game consideration'.

Prizes are not part of the final - they are awarded outside of the
final/game as a reward for results. Nowhere in the tournament rules or
rulebook will you find anything that discusses prizes as part of a VtES
game.

The consideration of specific prizes absolutely _can_ be an out-of-game
consideration.

In this specific case, however, being given a better prize for faster
play does not inherently reward a player for behaving in a way that is
contrary to the goal of the game. The tournament rules strictly care
about "players must not play toward goals that conflict with the goal
of the game as stated in the V:TES rulebook", so trying to win faster
is okay - you're still trying to win.

(So long as the prizes don't overlap - if the prize for Fast-2nd is
better than Slow-1st, that could be an issue.)

> --
> johannes walch

-John Flournoy

John Flournoy wrote:
> Johannes Walch wrote:

> > > I certainly think it is interesting and worth tryng out, but--doesn't tthe
> > > prize issue cross the line into "out of game considerations"?
> >
> > The prizes are part of the game/final so considering them is not
> > out-of-game.
>
> Uh, no, I don't agree with that.
>
> Counter-example: Let's say that I already have ten copies of the items
> being given away as first prize, but I really covet the t-shirt being
> given away for second place.
>
> If I play to win the prize I want, i.e. playing for second instead of
> first, I am absolutely taking an out-of-game consideration into account
> (and also not playing to win). Just because the prize is being awarded
> for the game/final does not make it inherently free from issues of 'out
> of game consideration'.

I would hope the tournament organizer would allow flexibility for the
winner to choose from among *any* of the prizes available for the
various places. So if you won, you could choose the 5th place prize if
you so desired because that was most valuable to you.

> Prizes are not part of the final - they are awarded outside of the
> final/game as a reward for results. Nowhere in the tournament rules or
> rulebook will you find anything that discusses prizes as part of a VtES
> game.
>
> The consideration of specific prizes absolutely _can_ be an out-of-game
> consideration.
>
> In this specific case, however, being given a better prize for faster
> play does not inherently reward a player for behaving in a way that is
> contrary to the goal of the game. The tournament rules strictly care
> about "players must not play toward goals that conflict with the goal
> of the game as stated in the V:TES rulebook", so trying to win faster
> is okay - you're still trying to win.
>
> (So long as the prizes don't overlap - if the prize for Fast-2nd is
> better than Slow-1st, that could be an issue.)

My impression of this idea was that if the table finished under 2
hours, that every finals participant might get an extra pack of cards
while if they went longer than 2 hours, they would forfeit said pack.
That way they all have the exact same motivation to finish on time
without any consideration given to placement. In this scenario, there
is no disincentive to play quickly unless the table evolves such that
you think you need the extra time to improve your position in the
overall game.

Jeff

John Flournoy wrote:
> Johannes Walch wrote:

> > > I certainly think it is interesting and worth tryng out, but--doesn't tthe
> > > prize issue cross the line into "out of game considerations"?
> >
> > The prizes are part of the game/final so considering them is not
> > out-of-game.
>
> Uh, no, I don't agree with that.
>
> Counter-example: Let's say that I already have ten copies of the items
> being given away as first prize, but I really covet the t-shirt being
> given away for second place.
>
> If I play to win the prize I want, i.e. playing for second instead of
> first, I am absolutely taking an out-of-game consideration into account
> (and also not playing to win). Just because the prize is being awarded
> for the game/final does not make it inherently free from issues of 'out
> of game consideration'.
>
> Prizes are not part of the final - they are awarded outside of the
> final/game as a reward for results. Nowhere in the tournament rules or
> rulebook will you find anything that discusses prizes as part of a VtES
> game.

Let me amend this - prizes as part of a game _is_ mentioned in the
Judge's rules (ex-Penalty rules.)

And in that Judge's guidelines, it specifies that players that make
deals including prizes are not, specifically, violating the rules
against 'Cheating: Bribery'.

However, that does not, in any sort of explicit language, exempt
players from having to play to win the game as best as they are able.

And I agree that a lot of the time, that's an impossible-to-judge
issue.

But if I sit at a table and say (without it being part of a deal) that
I'm going to play for 2nd place because I prefer the 2nd place prize
and proceed play accordingly, I deserve to get penalized, because I am
clearly not playing to win - I'm playing for the prize, not for winning
the game, and that is contrary to the goal of the game (get the most
VP, not 'get the cool prizes'.)

> > johannes walch

-John Flournoy

Daneel wrote:

> > Let me amend this - prizes as part of a game _is_ mentioned in the
> > Judge's rules (ex-Penalty rules.)
> >
> > And in that Judge's guidelines, it specifies that players that make
> > deals including prizes are not, specifically, violating the rules
> > against 'Cheating: Bribery'.
>
> Interesting. So out of the following two scenarios:
>
> A "I'll give you a booster if you give me the table win"
> B "I'll give you a booster from amongst those I win, if you
> give me the table win"
>
> Option A is cheating, and option B is not? ;)

Strictly speaking by the wording of the tourney/judge rules, yes, you
are correct. Which is why some people would like to see that rules
and/or terminology changed - since a lot of the prize support is
booster packs, the following also is accurate:

"I'll give you 5 boosters out of the prize support for the win" (legal)
"I'll give you 15 bucks for the game win, and you can use it
immediately to buy 5 boosters up front at the counter" (not legal).

(Both of these scenarios assume the deals are otherwise legal, in terms
of 'play to win' considerations.)

> Bye,
>
> Daneel

-John Flournoy

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 07:15:45 -0500, Jozxyqk <jfeuerst@eecs.tufts.edu>
wrote:

> I am going to be running a constructed tournament in September (Saturday
> September 17, 1pm, Your Move Games in Somerville, MA -- email me for
> details).
> I plan to have a 2.5 hour final round.
>
> But my plan also includes a sliding scale for prizes.
> If the finals last 2 hours or less, the prizes will be better than if
> they go over 2 hours.
>
> Even though prize support for VTES tournaments is usually not the
> primary concern, I figure that this might be good incentive to stop
> people from trying to time out the table.
>
> In theory, it could be extended to 3, 4, even no-time-limit finals, as a
> system; the prizes get progressively worse over time.
>
> Thoughts about this concept in general?

I'd say, scrap it, and go for a "full victory" vs. "normal victory"
approach.

Full victory equals winning the final table by getting the GW. In
particular, this is a game win adhering to, in every way, the
conditions that are present for judging preliminary round GW-s.

Normal victory is winning the final table without fulfilling the above.

Make the prize significantly less, and the final table won't likely time
out.

--
Bye,

Daneel

Johannes Walch wrote:

> > Let me amend this - prizes as part of a game _is_ mentioned in the
> > Judge's rules (ex-Penalty rules.)
> >
> > And in that Judge's guidelines, it specifies that players that make
> > deals including prizes are not, specifically, violating the rules
> > against 'Cheating: Bribery'.
>
> Thanks for backing me up with this. I was not quite sure if it is still
> in the rules, but I thought so. A few years ago a tournament was decided
> like this over here where the winner forfeited all his booster prizes
> (giving them to his deal partner) to win the tournament. If that´s
> desirable is a matter to discuss, but it seems that it is in the rules.

As long as the deal partner was not making the deal instead of trying
to win, yes.

If the deal partner was totally giving up (without already clearly
being unable to get more VP) for the boosters, and a judge felt that
was not 'playing to win', then the deal wouldn't be legal - but the
deal partner would be penalized for not playing to win, while the guy
offering the boosters would not be penalized for offering his prize
support.

In short: By the rules, you can offer somebody part of the tourney
prize support in a deal, without penalty. You still cannot make a deal
where someone is clearly playing to not try to maximize their VP or
otherwise not 'play to win' the game; giving someone prize support does
not give them permission to play to deliberately lose.

> --
> johannes walch

-John Flournoy

Just want to mention a few things here: people who are playing to win,
will not necessarily care about the prizes.
Hence, they will not necessarily adapt their way of playing to the
prizes dealt out accordingly.
But it *is possible* that they do so.

I personally think this way of handing out prizes is very explicitly
favoring certain decktypes/playstyles, which can very well have quite a
large impact on the metagame you're creating.
I think you need to consider this very very well before putting it into
effect.
Compare this to awarding a great prize for say.. the first oust in a
given round, or for the first succesful diablerie or whatnot.You're
actively influencing the game / decks played/way of playing with this..

Also, from experience I can tell you that no-time limit finals are a
very, very very bad idea(ye, 6 hour finals do exist..).

And last but not least, IMHO for finals that would time out anyway:
bright players will just make a general withdraw before your 2 hour
limit.

so personally, I don't tink it's a good idea.
But that's just my 0.5 eurocents
/jo

Daneel wrote:
> Make the prize significantly less, and the final table won't likely time
> out.

Only when you assume that everyone plays for the prizes. A lot of people
I know are not very interested in prizes beause they allready have a
shitload of cards. They want to have the rating and simply the win.

--
johannes walch

Johannes Walch wrote:

> They want to have the rating and simply the win.

Indicating that, in fact, there are examples of people who care about their
ratings.

Joshua Duffin wrote:
> "John Flournoy" <carneggy@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > Johannes Walch wrote:
> > If the deal partner was totally giving up (without already clearly
> > being unable to get more VP) for the boosters, and a judge felt that
> > was not 'playing to win', then the deal wouldn't be legal - but the
> > deal partner would be penalized for not playing to win, while the guy
> > offering the boosters would not be penalized for offering his prize
> > support.
>
> Hmm, well, while it's true that if the judge rules against you, you can't do
> it, LSJ's rulings in the past have suggested that judges shouldn't usually
> have a problem with prize-splitting "not playing to win" deals in the
> finals.

*Citations of LSJ's previous commentary snipped*

I certainly agree that LSJ has suggested that it shouldn't be a problem
in the past - however, the actual tournament rules as printed state
otherwise.

If LSJ wants prize-splitting deals to ignore play-to-win, the rules
provided to judges should not be worded in such a way that play-to-win
still applies.

> I don't think it's particularly good for the game to allow deals for the win
> in finals in this way, but that argument has probably sailed. :)
>
> Josh

-John Flournoy

Sten During wrote:
> John Flournoy wrote:

> >>Thanks for backing me up with this. I was not quite sure if it is still
> >>in the rules, but I thought so. A few years ago a tournament was decided
> >>like this over here where the winner forfeited all his booster prizes
> >>(giving them to his deal partner) to win the tournament. If that´s
> >>desirable is a matter to discuss, but it seems that it is in the rules.
> >

> > As long as the deal partner was not making the deal instead of trying
> > to win, yes.
> >
> > If the deal partner was totally giving up (without already clearly
> > being unable to get more VP) for the boosters, and a judge felt that
> > was not 'playing to win', then the deal wouldn't be legal - but the
> > deal partner would be penalized for not playing to win, while the guy
> > offering the boosters would not be penalized for offering his prize
> > support.
> >
> > In short: By the rules, you can offer somebody part of the tourney
> > prize support in a deal, without penalty. You still cannot make a deal
> > where someone is clearly playing to not try to maximize their VP or
> > otherwise not 'play to win' the game; giving someone prize support does
> > not give them permission to play to deliberately lose.
> >

> Incorrect.

Actually, my statement is absolutely correct: _by the wording of the
current set of tournament rules_, it's not a legal deal. Which has
nothing to do with the rest of your statement, which asserts that
judges have ruled that such deals are okay.

> Prizes are part of the final round. Period. I dislike it, but that
> doesn't change it.
> Pre-Succubus-Club-banning I made it clear that in order to get the
> card changed/removed/whatever I'd lobby, play and report clearly in
> tournaments how to build decks on that card, try to struggle into
> the finals and start said final with an auction where the highest
> bidder of prize-support during the mid-game would receive all my
> vamps, cards and pool in exchange for prize-support.
> This was disliked, but is was also clearly deemed legal.

I'm not at all arguing that people have not been deemng it as a valid
deal, or that it hasn't been common practice for a while (supported by
LSJ on occasion.)

My point is: The actual tournament rules do currently say it should be
handled in a different, specific way - a way that goes against the way
LSJ has apparently suggested it be handled (and the way judges do tend
to handle it).

And that's a problem that needs fixing, one way or another.

> Sten During

-John Flournoy

John Flournoy wrote:
> I'm not at all arguing that people have not been deemng it as a valid
> deal, or that it hasn't been common practice for a while (supported by
> LSJ on occasion.)
>
> My point is: The actual tournament rules do currently say it should be
> handled in a different, specific way - a way that goes against the way
> LSJ has apparently suggested it be handled (and the way judges do tend
> to handle it).

The rules match the suggested handling.

LSJ wrote:
> John Flournoy wrote:
> > I'm not at all arguing that people have not been deemng it as a valid
> > deal, or that it hasn't been common practice for a while (supported by
> > LSJ on occasion.)
> >
> > My point is: The actual tournament rules do currently say it should be
> > handled in a different, specific way - a way that goes against the way
> > LSJ has apparently suggested it be handled (and the way judges do tend
> > to handle it).
>
> The rules match the suggested handling.

Is the suggested handling 'you do not have to play to win in a final,
if you are offered a portion of the prize support as an incentive to
play to lose?'

If this is the case, I'll detail how the rules don't match it.

If this is not the case, then a lot of people have been handling this
wrongly.

-John Flournoy

John Flournoy wrote:
> LSJ wrote:
> > John Flournoy wrote:
> > > I'm not at all arguing that people have not been deemng it as a valid
> > > deal, or that it hasn't been common practice for a while (supported by
> > > LSJ on occasion.)
> > >
> > > My point is: The actual tournament rules do currently say it should be
> > > handled in a different, specific way - a way that goes against the way
> > > LSJ has apparently suggested it be handled (and the way judges do tend
> > > to handle it).
> >
> > The rules match the suggested handling.
>
> Is the suggested handling 'you do not have to play to win in a final,
> if you are offered a portion of the prize support as an incentive to
> play to lose?'
>
> If this is the case, I'll detail how the rules don't match it.

If you are offered a portion of the prize support and that offer is the
best you can reasonably expect to do, then playing toward that "best"
is not playing to lose, it is playing to win.

LSJ wrote:
> > > The rules match the suggested handling.
> >
> > Is the suggested handling 'you do not have to play to win in a final,
> > if you are offered a portion of the prize support as an incentive to
> > play to lose?'
> >
> > If this is the case, I'll detail how the rules don't match it.
>
> If you are offered a portion of the prize support and that offer is the
> best you can reasonably expect to do, then playing toward that "best"
> is not playing to lose, it is playing to win.

I can agree with that, with one giant caveat: "The best", according to
the tournament rules, is not "the best prize you can get", but the most
VPs, i.e. (quoting the rules directly) "the goal of the game as stated
in the V:TES rulebook."

Let me be clear: I certainly agree that in a case where you would be
legally making a deal anyway (i.e. you're not cutting your own throat
to make it), prize support can be bandied about as much as you like.
There's lots of cases where making a deal is in your best interest
_regardless_ of whether or not what you get in return includes prizes,
and the rules clearly allow prizes to be part of a legal deal.

But in cases where a player would be deliberately losing a game in such
a way that it's _clear_ to a judge that he is playing to lose in terms
of VP, the rules as written don't permit this because you agree to give
that player prize support.

Details:

The Judge's guidelines clearly state that the exceptions to "Cheating:
Collusion" ("Players agree to alter, predetermine, or otherwise
illegally establish the results of a game.") are:

"Players participating in standard table talk or in-game agreements
should not be considered in violation of this rule as long as they meet
the following criteria:

No player introduces incentives outside the current game such as cash,
cards, or other items.
No part of the agreement has been secret or has taken place outside of
the current game.
No part of the agreement involves a random selection of the winner.
The agreement does not otherwise violate section 5.2 of the V:EKN
Tournament Rules."

And 5.2 says "Players must not play toward goals that conflict with the
goal of the game as stated in the V:TES rulebook (e.g., attacking
certain players on the basis of their V:EKN ratings or overall
tournament standing, etc.)."

The goal of the game as stated in the rulebook is "Your goal is to
accumulate the most victory points by destroying the influence held by
rival Methuselahs." There's no mention in the rulebook's goal of the
game "Get the best prize support possible", or any mention of prizes.
In order for a player to follow 5.2, they must play to get VPs, not
play for prize support.

The rules also state that philosophically, for Cheating: Bribery:

"Players in the finals of a tournament should not be considered in
violation of this rule as long as they meet the following criteria:

No player introduces incentives outside the current game such as cash,
cards, or other items. (For example, splitting the prizes would be
acceptable.)"

However, this 'splitting the prizes is acceptable' is only listed as an
acceptable exemption for 'Cheating: Bribery' - not for collusion, not
for violating 5.2, not for anything other than 'it's something you can
legally offer as consideration'.

I can theoretically offer at the start of a game to get down on my
hands and knees and kiss every card in your deck in alphabetical order,
if you'd only deliberately lose the game to me. That's a completely
legal _bribe_ - but I'm still colluding with you, because I'm asking
you to violate 5.2's 'Players must not play toward goals that conflict
with the goal of the game as stated'.

And the tournament rules, as written, do not make any exception to 5.2.

Now, I fully agree that determining whether a potential deal is 'the
best you can do' in terms of getting VPs is a highly subjective one,
open to a lot of interpretation. I'm not disputing that at all, nor am
I disputing how judges currently rule that.

But 'the best you can do', per the tournament rules, does not include
'the best loot you can get offered' without any attempt to win the
game.

Which is why I'm saying that as written, the rules insist that you must
play to win the game - by getting VPs - even if someone offers you a
(legal) prize-support bribe not to. Because if you are _clearly,
definitely_ playing to lose as part of a deal, you have colluded, and
the rules call that cheating no matter what you were offered in return
(even prize support).

Which would mean that offering a player:

"Concede to me now and I'll give you all the boosters"

is no different than:

"Concede to me now and I'll give you nothing"

...taken strictly in terms of determining 'are these players colluding
to determine the game result in violation of 5.2'.

If they'd be considered colluding in the second case, the existence of
the bribe in the first case does not change the illegal deal to a legal
one, because prize support is not part of the "best you can reasonably
expect to do" by the current tournament rules.

-John Flournoy

Hopefully this won't be double-posting; google seems to have eaten my
first try.

John Flournoy wrote:

> > > Is the suggested handling 'you do not have to play to win in a final,
> > > if you are offered a portion of the prize support as an incentive to
> > > play to lose?'
> > >
> > > If this is the case, I'll detail how the rules don't match it.
> >
> > If you are offered a portion of the prize support and that offer is the
> > best you can reasonably expect to do, then playing toward that "best"
> > is not playing to lose, it is playing to win.

I'll add this:

In the course of this discussion (both here and off the newsgroup),
people have given lots of anecdotal evidence of judges' rulings and/or
quoted LSJ posts saying that it's okay for a player to deliberately,
clearly play to lose a game (and I do mean _clearly_ get less VPs than
they could) as long as they're offered prize support in compensation in
a final, because getting prize support counts for 'playing to win'.

But if that is the commonly accepted practice, it doesn't match what
the rules specify as written, and that's a problem.

A judge should not have to pre-emptively search googlegroups archives
to learn where common practice/LSJ's rulings are in contradiction to
the rules judges are given to go by - especially for a specific rule
like 'is a player cheating when he does X'. (And he has to pre-empt it
so that he can make the correct ruling on the spot - he shouldn't go
back two weeks later and say 'hey, I was told that I ruled it wrong,
you were actually cheating and can't do that'.)

Either the rules should be amended to reflect common practice/LSJ's
statements on the issue, or people need to follow the existing rules;
having a discrepancy between the printed Judge's rules and how judges
are _supposed_ to adjudicate things is a problem that should be fixed.

-John Flournoy

"John Flournoy" <carneggy@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Johannes Walch wrote:
>
> > [John Flournoy wrote]
>
> > > Let me amend this - prizes as part of a game _is_ mentioned in the
> > > Judge's rules (ex-Penalty rules.)
> > >
> > > And in that Judge's guidelines, it specifies that players that make
> > > deals including prizes are not, specifically, violating the rules
> > > against 'Cheating: Bribery'.
> >
> > Thanks for backing me up with this. I was not quite sure if it is still
> > in the rules, but I thought so. A few years ago a tournament was decided
> > like this over here where the winner forfeited all his booster prizes
> > (giving them to his deal partner) to win the tournament. If that´s
> > desirable is a matter to discuss, but it seems that it is in the rules.
>
> As long as the deal partner was not making the deal instead of trying
> to win, yes.
>
> If the deal partner was totally giving up (without already clearly
> being unable to get more VP) for the boosters, and a judge felt that
> was not 'playing to win', then the deal wouldn't be legal - but the
> deal partner would be penalized for not playing to win, while the guy
> offering the boosters would not be penalized for offering his prize
> support.

Hmm, well, while it's true that if the judge rules against you, you can't do
it, LSJ's rulings in the past have suggested that judges shouldn't usually
have a problem with prize-splitting "not playing to win" deals in the
finals.

See:

groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/09736db282060da8

and:

groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/9c9c6ec0ab516897

for specifics.

I don't think it's particularly good for the game to allow deals for the win
in finals in this way, but that argument has probably sailed. :)

Josh

waiting for my argument to come in

John Flournoy wrote:

> > > Is the suggested handling 'you do not have to play to win in a final,
> > > if you are offered a portion of the prize support as an incentive to
> > > play to lose?'
> > >
> > > If this is the case, I'll detail how the rules don't match it.
> >
> > If you are offered a portion of the prize support and that offer is the
> > best you can reasonably expect to do, then playing toward that "best"
> > is not playing to lose, it is playing to win.
>
> I can agree with that, with one giant caveat: "The best", according to
> the tournament rules, is not "the best prize you can get", but the most
> VPs, i.e. (quoting the rules directly) "the goal of the game as stated
> in the V:TES rulebook."

I'll add this: In the course of this discussion, there's been lots of
anecdotal stories of judges' rulings and quoting of LSJ posts that says
that in practice, it's okay to obviously play to lose in exchange for
prize support. (And I do mean OBVIOUSLY play to lose, not just 'make a
deal to let someone win'.)

But since the rules as written don't permit that, it's a problem.
Judges should not have to pre-emptively search googlegroups to discover
that something that is contrary to the rules given to Judges is
actually acceptable.

Either the rules need to be amended to reflect current practice, or
current practice needs to change to follow the actual rules, but there
should not be a discrepancy between the printed rules and general
practice on something like 'is a player cheating when he does X'.

-John Flournoy

Ankur Gupta wrote:
> > Let me be clear: I certainly agree that in a case where you would be
> > legally making a deal anyway (i.e. you're not cutting your own throat to
> > make it), prize support can be bandied about as much as you like.
> > There's lots of cases where making a deal is in your best interest
> > _regardless_ of whether or not what you get in return includes prizes,
> > and the rules clearly allow prizes to be part of a legal deal.
>
> Hey, if prizes are allowed as part of a legal deal (with whatever caveats
> are necessary). . . this means that of course you can break a deal to
> shaft someone out of prizes that you've promised them. Now THAT is
> hardcore. Gotta love V:TES.

Absolutely! Just exit the tourney area out the back, quick!

> Ankur Gupta

-John Flournoy