install msxp

I have a virus that Symantec cannot fix.It's a startup virus. If
deleted, it appears at the next bootup. I plan to format every thing
on "c" drive. Then install MSxp home. Will the format delete
everything but dos? Is it possible to install MSxp to the empty "c"
drive? Alternative solution welcome.
4 answers Last reply
More about install msxp

    there is no dos.

    what is the name of the virus? It may be tricky, but it can be removed. Do
    you know when you got it? Have you tried to use a system restore point?

    did you boot from a symantec CD and scan your HDD without ever going into
    windows ?

    - NuTs

    <fletch13@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I have a virus that Symantec cannot fix.It's a startup virus. If
    > deleted, it appears at the next bootup. I plan to format every thing
    > on "c" drive. Then install MSxp home. Will the format delete
    > everything but dos? Is it possible to install MSxp to the empty "c"
    > drive? Alternative solution welcome.

    What is the name of the virus? Does Symantec or some other anti-virus company
    make available a single one-off program to remove the virus? Do any of the
    spyware tools (Spybot, Ad-Adware, etc.) remove it?

    As long as you have the Certificate of Authentication code used to install the
    system originally, you should be able to reinstall it. Reformatting the drive
    is one way to remove the contents of the drive. Reinstalling XP gives the
    option to scrub the drive clean before installing. Be prepared to reinstall
    every other program you use too.

    It may be easier overall to isolate and remove the virus once and for all rather
    than reloading Windows. It all depends on how much other valuable stuff you
    have on the computer now... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:22:43 -0500, fletch13@comcast.net wrote:

    >I have a virus that Symantec cannot fix.It's a startup virus. If
    >deleted, it appears at the next bootup. I plan to format every thing
    >on "c" drive. Then install MSxp home. Will the format delete
    >everything but dos? Is it possible to install MSxp to the empty "c"
    >drive? Alternative solution welcome.

    Try turning off System Restore first then let Virus software fix it. System
    Restore might be putting the virus back. Tim
    <fletch13@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I have a virus that Symantec cannot fix.It's a startup virus. If
    > deleted, it appears at the next bootup. I plan to format every thing
    > on "c" drive. Then install MSxp home. Will the format delete
    > everything but dos? Is it possible to install MSxp to the empty "c"
    > drive? Alternative solution welcome.

    Good suggestion. I've also seen viruses come back time and again via a Visual
    Basic script buried in the system... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:18:50 GMT, "Tim" <nospam@verizon.net> wrote:

    >Try turning off System Restore first then let Virus software fix it. System
    >Restore might be putting the virus back. Tim
    ><fletch13@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>I have a virus that Symantec cannot fix.It's a startup virus. If
    >> deleted, it appears at the next bootup. I plan to format every thing
    >> on "c" drive. Then install MSxp home. Will the format delete
    >> everything but dos? Is it possible to install MSxp to the empty "c"
    >> drive? Alternative solution welcome.

Dell Virus Format Computers