Number of Cards in KotEK ?

hi all,

since preorder deadlines are rapidly approaching, could we please have
at least a rough count of new cards in the upcoming set?

TIA,
Chris.QJ

Chris.QJ wrote:
> since preorder deadlines are rapidly approaching, could we please have
> at least a rough count of new cards in the upcoming set?

In boosters: 201 new cards and 99 reprints (from the Bloodlines
expansion).

That includes 50 new rares and 50 reprint rares. The rare sheets are
laid out so that three of every four boosters will get a new rare (the
reprint rares show up only in 25% of the boosters).

The precons also contain new cards that are only found in the precons.
Namely 6 new precon-only vampires in each plus a couple of precon-only
library cards. Each of the precon-only crypt cards is found twice in
its respective starter (to fill out the 12-card crypt).

--
LSJ (vtesrep@white-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep for White Wolf, Inc.
V:TES homepage: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

From the Legacy of Blood Sales Sheet:

features over 180 all new cards.

--
Andreas Nusser

Walch & Nusser GbR
Your premier VTES shop in Europe

visit http://www.vtes.de

Let's see if I get it right.

LSJ wrote:
> Chris.QJ wrote:
> > since preorder deadlines are rapidly approaching, could we please have
> > at least a rough count of new cards in the upcoming set?
>
> In boosters: 201 new cards and 99 reprints (from the Bloodlines
> expansion).
> That includes 50 new rares and 50 reprint rares. The rare sheets are
> laid out so that three of every four boosters will get a new rare (the
> reprint rares show up only in 25% of the boosters).

Bloodlines had 70 Rares, including the vampires.

I'd say that the vampires will not be reprinted since they're group 2.
That leaves us with 60 Rares.
Of these, 1 has already been reprinted (Call the Great Beast) and 10
are not directly bloodline-related (as far as I could see in a quick
glance):

Beast Meld (ani/pro)
Call, The (aus/dem)
Draught of the Soul (aus/qui)
Iron Heart (pot/pre)
Martyr's Resilience (aus/for)
Nightmare Curse (aus/chi)
Shroud of Absence (dom/obt)
Soul Painting (aus/pre)
True Faith (master, requires non-infernal vampire)
Toy Chest Test (master, requires a Sabbat vampire )

That leaves us with 49 Rares.

Can I conclude that the 50 Rares reprinted are these 49 remaining + 1
of the above 10 cards? I hope it's Martyr's Resilience or Nightmare
Curse ;-)

> The precons also contain new cards that are only found in the precons.
> Namely 6 new precon-only vampires in each plus a couple of precon-only
> library cards. Each of the precon-only crypt cards is found twice in
> its respective starter (to fill out the 12-card crypt).
> LSJ (vtesrep@white-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep for White Wolf, Inc.
> V:TES homepage: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/
> Though effective, appear to be ineffective -- Sun Tzu

So all starters will have a full crypt of starter-only vampires?

This seems nice to old-timers buying starter displays. We get more new
cards for the money.

I hope the rest of the reprints (50 Bloodlines cards) are to be found
in the starters as well.

best,

Fabio Sooner
former NC for Brazil
Giovanni Clan Newsletter Editor in absentia

> I'd prefer to have as less reprints in any given booster as possible.

Oops. I mean "as FEW reprints..."

Fabio Sooner

LSJ's post said (underlining emphasis mine):

"_In boosters_: 201 new cards and 99 reprints (from the Bloodlines
expansion)."

The 99 reprints from BL (50 rares and 49 others) are stated to be in
the boosters.

No mention of how many/what kind of reprints will appear in the
starters has been made.

> Fabio Sooner
> Giovanni Clan Newsletter Editor in absentia

-John Flournoy

I have to tell you guys, I really couldn't care less how many
bloodlines reprints are in the new set, so long as they're the ones
that everyone wants. Knowing our luck, we'll get all the rares that
nobody wants so that we'll have piles of fodder.... I have to admit,
I'm still mad about the !Gangrel starter... No GD mythic form for a
protean deck my ass...
~mike

<nozleopeli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have to tell you guys, I really couldn't care less how many
> bloodlines reprints are in the new set, so long as they're the ones
> that everyone wants. Knowing our luck, we'll get all the rares that
> nobody wants so that we'll have piles of fodder.... I have to admit,
> I'm still mad about the !Gangrel starter... No GD mythic form for a
> protean deck my ass...
> ~mike

Mythic Form? I mean, it would have been funny to put one in, for sure. But
I have to think, say, Body Flare would have been more useful to the deck. 3
blood for a combat card? Not unless it's Elastic Red-Hot Iron Arms of
Death, I think. Or does "strike: gain 1 VP" or something. :)

Josh

rarely turns into a dragon

John Flournoy wrote:
> Fabio Sooner wrote:
> > There's 201 new cards. 32 of them will be starter-only (6 vampires + 2
> > library cards per starter). That leaves us with 169 new cards. 50 are
> > Rares; that's 119 new commons/uncommons and 50 commons/uncommons
> > reprinted from Bloodlines. So unless a good bunch of these reprinted
> > C/U are to appear in the starters (or the distribution on the C/U sheet
> > is similar to the rare sheet as announced), we'll have a fair chance to
> > stumble in a booster with, say, 4 reprinted cards and 7 new ones.
> > I'd prefer to have as less reprints in any given booster as possible.
>
> LSJ's post said (underlining emphasis mine):
> "_In boosters_: 201 new cards and 99 reprints (from the Bloodlines
> expansion)."
> The 99 reprints from BL (50 rares and 49 others) are stated to be in
> the boosters.
> No mention of how many/what kind of reprints will appear in the
> starters has been made.
> -John Flournoy

Nice catch. So forget about the above card count.
We'll have 161 new commons/uncommons and still 49 c/u reprints from
Bloodlines. That's less than 25%, or 2 to 3 c/u reprints per booster.
It still would mean a chance to get a booster with 4 reprints out of 11
cards (counting the occacional Rare reprint), but the probability is
minor.

best,

Fabio Sooner
Giovanni Clan Newsletter Editor in absentia
and one-time speculator

nozleopeli@hotmail.com wrote:
> I have to tell you guys, I really couldn't care less how many
> bloodlines reprints are in the new set, so long as they're the ones
> that everyone wants. Knowing our luck, we'll get all the rares that
> nobody wants so that we'll have piles of fodder.... I have to admit,
> I'm still mad about the !Gangrel starter... No GD mythic form for a
> protean deck my ass...
> ~mike

I tried to guess what 50 Rares are to re-appear in an early post in
this very thread. But that's just speculation.

Of course I want more copies of card X or Y, but I don't know if
reprinting them in boosters is a good solution. If I were to, say, try
to acquire 2x more Nightmare Curse buying a booster display, Bloodlines
is still in print. I guess the decision was motivated by another
factor: to make it easier for new players to have the cards they need
to play with as soon as they buy Legacies booster displays.

If Legacies was a 150-card expansion, it would be easier to get Rare X
or Y just buying one or two displays. But it has 100 Rares and a total
of 300 cards in the boosters, not to mention the special layout of the
Rare sheet, where we'll have 25% chance of getting a reprinted Rare in
any given booster.

It turns out that it could be actually easier to get, say, a Coagulated
Entity (if it is to be reprinted) on Bloodlines (60 Rares, 192 cards
total) than to draw one in a Legacies booster. But I'm no math expert,
and we still need some more information. Like, is it going to have 11
cards per booster still? And stuff like that.

best,

Fabio Sooner
Giovanni Clan Newsletter Editor in absentia
one-time speculator

Gregory Stuart Pettigrew wrote:
> > I guess the decision was motivated by another
> > factor: to make it easier for new players to have the cards they need
> > to play with as soon as they buy Legacies booster displays.
>
> I think getting them in the new layout and possibly making textual changes
> may have also been a motivation. Still, I'm happy. It might mean that I'll
> be able to get a Bloodlines Set before the decade ends.

Me too. Having Bloodlines Rares with new layout is fine for me. With
luck, maybe I'll get the Rares I still don't own and never bother to
buy Bloodlines again. But still, it largely depends on what rares are
to be reprinted.

> It turns out that it could be actually easier to get, say, a
Coagulated
> > Entity (if it is to be reprinted) on Bloodlines (60 Rares, 192 cards
> > total) than to draw one in a Legacies booster. But I'm no math expert,
> > and we still need some more information. Like, is it going to have 11
> > cards per booster still? And stuff like that.
> >

> There's a 1/100 chance of getting a Coagulated Entity in a
> Bloodlines Booster, and a 1/200 chance of getting a (hypothetical)
> Coagulated Entity in a Legacies of Blood Booster. Another important
> question is: which set's rares would you rather have if you didn't get the
> Coagulated Entity?
> 30 Bloodlines R2s x 2 = 60
> 40 Bloodlines R1s x 1 = 40
> 40+60=100 Rare possibilitiees.
> 50 Legacies R3s x 3 = 150
> 50 Legacies R1s x 1 = 50
> 150+50=200 Rare possibilities.

It does mean that Legacies Rares (non-reprints) are to be harder to get
than it used to be in recent expansions. Kinda like Camarilla Rares, I
suppose?

Fabio Sooner

Fabio Sooner wrote:
> It does mean that Legacies Rares (non-reprints) are to be harder to get
> than it used to be in recent expansions.

Well, 1/3 more packs would be needed vs. a straight 50 (no reprint)
expansion, sure. But there's also a corresponding increase in the
number of commons and uncommons to match.

The bigger the expansion, the more cards you'll have to get to
collect the whole set.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/