Sign in with
Your question

Water on laptop and warranty

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
January 22, 2012 1:22:19 PM

few days ago a half glass of water has fallen on my laptop (Dell).

PREAMBLE
after reading lots of blogs, forums and instructions I wiped the machine for two days with fon jet cold. Finally I restarted it and, miracle, it worked! unfortunately began to show signs of failure (the built-in subwoofer crackled) and currently does not turn on (double beeps at start: maybe ram is gone).

THE QUESTION
Dell has a guarantee product called "complete care" (that I didn't bought) that covers accidental spillage of water. So, can I extend the warranty and then send the computer in assistance? I know it's not fair, but already it is really difficult to buy another computer.

THE REAL DOUBT
the real question is: can the service understand the "age" of the damage? if there was a log inside the computer they will see that I had broken it now.

I hope that this message does not offend anyone, I'm not used to be sly really my current situation does not allow me to re-purchase another computer, I refer to your understanding...

PS: exscuse my poor english, i'm not anglophone.

More about : water laptop warranty

January 22, 2012 1:36:55 PM

you can try,

I once returned a 21 inch crt...it's garbage now, but in those days you could buy those for 600 euro.

I wiped it clean as good as I could and they gave me a brand new one.

Just make sure you don't tell them it was water damage.
a b D Laptop
January 22, 2012 2:15:20 PM

tomvertommen said:
you can try,

I once returned a 21 inch crt...it's garbage now, but in those days you could buy those for 600 euro.

I wiped it clean as good as I could and they gave me a brand new one.

Just make sure you don't tell them it was water damage.

Once Dell technicians open the laptop it will be pretty obvious they will notice water damage. Saying this since I have seen many water damaged laptop.

Ask Dell customer service if you are qualified to buy their extended warranty.
Related resources
January 22, 2012 6:29:20 PM

Quote:
Once Dell technicians open the laptop it will be pretty obvious they will notice water damage

I can extends my warrants before and after a month for example, i'll send them the laptop
January 22, 2012 7:55:45 PM

As a Former notebook technician, all notebooks have tiny water reactive paper markers built into them that change color once hit by water, It's impossible to hide water damage on a notebook so they will totally know it's liquid damage.
As for the extended warranty all you can do is try really
January 23, 2012 6:14:15 AM

thanks a lot for the replies :) 
!