Skaven in D&D

Here is my writeup (my players please do not read):

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

Skaven, 1st-Level Warrior
Medium Humanoid (Skaven)
Hit Dice: 1d8+2 (6 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+1 Natural, +1 Dex, +2 leather armor, +1 light shield),
touch 11, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple:
Attack: Longsword +2 melee (1d8+1/19-20) or light crossbow +2 ranged
(1d8/19-20) or bite +2 melee (1d6+1)
Full Attack: Longsword +2 melee (1d8+1/19-20) and bite –3 melee (1d6) or
light crossbow +2 ranged (1d8/19-20)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: --
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., scent, rat empathy,
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +1, Will -1
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 6
Skills: Climb +7, Swim +7
Feats: Great Fortitude
Environment: Temperate to Tropical swamps, ruins, and underground
Challenge Rating: ½
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +1

Skaven as Characters:
Skaven leaders tend to depend on clan. The lesser warrior clans are
usually led by warriors or fighters, while Clan Pestilens’ leaders are
almost all clerics or Plague Monks dedicated to the Horned Rat. Clan
Moulder holds its NPC expert breeders and trainers, as well as
chaositechnicians (who specialize in betrayal of flesh) in high regard,
but on the battlefield it is the fighters (particularly mutants and
those with the Lasher PrC) who are in command. Clan Eshin leaders are
rogues and monks with the Assassin and Ninja of the Crescent Moon PrCs,
while Clan Skryre is led by machine mages and chaositechnicians
specializing in bones of steel.

Skaven Traits (Ex): Skaven possess the following traits:
+2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma
A Skaven’s base land speed is 40 feet
Darkvision out to 60 feet
+2 bonus to Swim and Climb skill checks
Scent
Rat Empathy: Communicate with rats and dire rats, and +4 racial bonus on
Charisma-based checks against rats and dire rats
Bite Attack: Skaven have a natural bite attack for 1d6 damage

The machine mage and chaositechnician PrCs are in the Chaositech book by
Malhavoc Press. This book also has a section on mutation which is
useful for dealing with skaven mutants. Darwin's World has several
creatures that make useful templates for Clan Moulder mutant rat
creatures, such as the Slime Mole.

For Rat Ogres (Clan Moulder's shining achievement), I use tweaked
owlbears from the MM (add scent and swap out one feat for Great
Fortitude). These can be advanced and mutated as needed.

* * * * *

What do you think, sirs?

- Ron ^*^
12 answers Last reply
More about skaven

    Werebat wrote:
    > Here is my writeup (my players please do not read):
    >
    > <snipped>
    >
    > * * * * *
    >
    > What do you think, sirs?
    >
    > - Ron ^*^

    I like it. Thanks for posting.

    >> +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma

    I wonder if the charisma is still too high for the rank and file rat?

    Ghere ze Raghtz!

    MadKaugh

    Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Werebat said

    > Here is my writeup (my players please do not read):

    files section.

    --
    Rob Singers
    "All your Ron are belong to us"

    Madkaugh wrote:
    > Werebat wrote:
    >
    >>Here is my writeup (my players please do not read):
    >>
    >><snipped>
    >>
    >>* * * * *
    >>
    >>What do you think, sirs?
    >>
    >> - Ron ^*^
    >

    > I like it. Thanks for posting.
    >

    >>>+2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma
    >

    > I wonder if the charisma is still too high for the rank and file rat?

    Well, your typical Skaven warrior is going to use Cha as his dump stat,
    so maybe not.

    - Ron ^*^

    "Werebat" <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote in message

    > Here is my writeup (my players please do not read):

    > SPOILER SPACE
    >

    > SPOILER SPACE
    >

    > Abilities: Str 13, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 6

    > Skaven Traits (Ex): Skaven possess the following traits:
    > +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma

    These don't match. Either the stat block should change, or the ability
    adjustment should (probably the latter if you want to maintain the +1 level
    adjustment). Other than that, it looks nifty. I would gladly suffer the +1
    level adjustment.

    --
    ^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishment the scroll,
    I am the Master of my fate:
    I am the Captain of my soul.

    Werebat wrote:

    > SPOILER SPACE
    >

    > SPOILER SPACE

    <snip>

    > Skaven Traits (Ex): Skaven possess the following traits:
    > +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma
    > A Skaven’s base land speed is 40 feet
    > Darkvision out to 60 feet
    > +2 bonus to Swim and Climb skill checks
    > Scent
    > Rat Empathy: Communicate with rats and dire rats, and +4 racial bonus on
    > Charisma-based checks against rats and dire rats
    > Bite Attack: Skaven have a natural bite attack for 1d6 damage

    You could treat this like a Gnolls bite, there, but not available
    for extra natural weapon attacks without the conditional feat. Skaven
    warriors don't really need the free attacks IMO, they're not supposed to
    be powerful.

    > For Rat Ogres (Clan Moulder's shining achievement), I use tweaked
    > owlbears from the MM (add scent and swap out one feat for Great
    > Fortitude). These can be advanced and mutated as needed.

    I'd be seriously tempted to give them 10'/10', and Rend like a
    troll rather than Improved Grab, just for fun. If your hero equivilents
    are all L8+ you might want a couple more HD on them too.

    > What do you think, sirs?

    Depends: are you using standard DnD Elves, Halflings, and Dwarves
    to represent the warhammer races? If so the +2 Dex and Con seem dodgy,
    as Skaven aren't as tough as Dwarves, nor are they as quick and accurate
    as Elves and Halflings (even with I4).
    I'd also tend to lower their Wis _and_ Chr, for 10/10/10/10/8/8,
    which with the rest of yours makes it a weak option for some classes,
    but probably OK at +0 LA with the increased Move (though too good with
    the bite attack).

    --
    tussock

    Aspie at work, sorry in advance.

    tussock wrote:
    > Werebat wrote:

    >> SPOILER SPACE
    >>

    >> SPOILER SPACE
    >>

    > <snip>
    >

    >> Skaven Traits (Ex): Skaven possess the following traits:
    >> +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma
    >> A Skaven’s base land speed is 40 feet
    >> Darkvision out to 60 feet
    >> +2 bonus to Swim and Climb skill checks
    >> Scent
    >> Rat Empathy: Communicate with rats and dire rats, and +4 racial bonus
    >> on Charisma-based checks against rats and dire rats
    >> Bite Attack: Skaven have a natural bite attack for 1d6 damage
    >

    > You could treat this like a Gnolls bite, there, but not available
    > for extra natural weapon attacks without the conditional feat. Skaven
    > warriors don't really need the free attacks IMO, they're not supposed to
    > be powerful.

    Ah, well, personally I give gnolls bite attacks without the feat. It's
    silly that they don't have them to begin with.

    With a -3 to hit for the typical warrior, it just gives them an attack
    to miss with -- no big deal. It makes the high-level rogue and
    fighter/rogue leaders nastier, though.

    I have considered "toning down" the bite to 1d4 damage.

    Oh, I forgot another good reason for the bite attack. It gives the
    (nude, unarmed and unarmored) slaves something to attack with when
    they're whipped forward into battle. >:^)

    >> For Rat Ogres (Clan Moulder's shining achievement), I use tweaked
    >> owlbears from the MM (add scent and swap out one feat for Great
    >> Fortitude). These can be advanced and mutated as needed.
    >

    > I'd be seriously tempted to give them 10'/10', and Rend like a troll
    > rather than Improved Grab, just for fun. If your hero equivilents are
    > all L8+ you might want a couple more HD on them too.

    Damn, that is weird. First, the 10' reach is a tweak I use but forgot
    to type (makes sense, they are bipedal), and second, I originally
    swapped out Improved Grab for rend as a troll. It made advanced Huge
    rat ogres frighteningly powerful (run the numbers and you'll see). I
    later decided to keep the Improved Grab and grant Rend to advanced rat
    ogres as a feat (or pair of feats, see the "Rend as a feat" thread I
    started recently).

    Rat ogres mutated/altered via Chaositech can get quite ugly, as well,
    especially if they're advanced. Moulder was a fun clan to run -- Horrid
    Rats, rat swarms, magebred dire rats, advanced mutated versions of each,
    etc. etc.

    If you're into Skaven, and don't mind a small amount of tweaking, I'd
    recommend Goodman Games' "The Sunless Garden". I swapped out the
    bugbears for stormvermin (3rd level skaven warriors with Elite arrays)
    and had Clan Moulder helping out the mutated treant (who they'd created
    by exposing to a warpstone variant that only worked on plants), with
    other appropriate tweaks (replaced dire wolverines with Darwin's World
    Slime Moles, for instance).

    Right now the PCs are fighting Kaorti, but the Skaven will be back.

    Oh yes, they will. >:^)

    >> What do you think, sirs?
    >

    > Depends: are you using standard DnD Elves, Halflings, and Dwarves to
    > represent the warhammer races? If so the +2 Dex and Con seem dodgy, as
    > Skaven aren't as tough as Dwarves, nor are they as quick and accurate as
    > Elves and Halflings (even with I4).

    Well, it isn't warhammer... But yes, I am using standard D&D races
    (plus Mokks, from Thundarr, who are essentially hydrophobic orcs in
    funny suits). What's I4?

    > I'd also tend to lower their Wis _and_ Chr, for 10/10/10/10/8/8,
    > which with the rest of yours makes it a weak option for some classes,
    > but probably OK at +0 LA with the increased Move (though too good with
    > the bite attack).

    Why lower Wis? Animalistic races usually have no penalty to Wis.
    Although you could argue that the exposure to chaos screws with their
    Wisdoms... Hmm, makes them better Chaositechnicians, too. Hmm. And I
    could see dropping the Con bonus (to be honest I'd forgotten about it in
    play, and never gave it to Skaven NPCs). Would hurt Clan Pestilens.

    I'd have to keep the Dex bonus, though -- makes way too much sense. A
    +2 Dex, -2 Cha, -2 Wis race with a bite attack, +10 move, scent, and
    various sundries... Not bad.

    Oh, I forgot to mention -- Preferred Class: Rogue. Natch.

    - Ron ^*^

    Malachias Invictus wrote:

    > "Werebat" <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Here is my writeup (my players please do not read):

    >>SPOILER SPACE
    >>

    >>SPOILER SPACE
    >>

    >>Abilities: Str 13, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 6
    >

    >>Skaven Traits (Ex): Skaven possess the following traits:
    >>+2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma
    >

    > These don't match. Either the stat block should change, or the ability
    > adjustment should (probably the latter if you want to maintain the +1 level
    > adjustment). Other than that, it looks nifty. I would gladly suffer the +1
    > level adjustment.

    I've already dropped the +2 Con adjustment (quite by accident) in my own
    campaign. As for the stat block... 13, 11, 12, 10, 9, 8... Isn't that
    right?

    Might not be, I was less experienced when I wrote the race.

    It's worth noting that I use the UA "LA buyback" option.

    - Ron ^*^

    In article <tBMWe.11852$nq.9232@lakeread05>, ranpoirier@cox.net says...

    > > I'd also tend to lower their Wis _and_ Chr, for 10/10/10/10/8/8,
    > > which with the rest of yours makes it a weak option for some classes,
    > > but probably OK at +0 LA with the increased Move (though too good with
    > > the bite attack).
    >
    > Why lower Wis? Animalistic races usually have no penalty to Wis.
    > Although you could argue that the exposure to chaos screws with their
    > Wisdoms... Hmm, makes them better Chaositechnicians, too.

    The class rewards low Wis?

    --
    Jasin Zujovic
    jzujovic@inet.hr

    Jasin Zujovic wrote:
    > In article <tBMWe.11852$nq.9232@lakeread05>, ranpoirier@cox.net says...
    >

    >>> I'd also tend to lower their Wis _and_ Chr, for 10/10/10/10/8/8,
    >>>which with the rest of yours makes it a weak option for some classes,
    >>>but probably OK at +0 LA with the increased Move (though too good with
    >>>the bite attack).
    >>
    >>Why lower Wis? Animalistic races usually have no penalty to Wis.
    >>Although you could argue that the exposure to chaos screws with their
    >>Wisdoms... Hmm, makes them better Chaositechnicians, too.
    >

    > The class rewards low Wis?

    In a word, yes. Sure, you'll be more likely to fail your alignment
    corruption checks, but if you're a Chaotic Evil Skaven you really don't
    care. When you try to craft Chaositech, a wisdom bonus works against
    you and a wisdom penalty helps.

    - Ron ^*^

    Malachias Invictus wrote:
    > "Werebat" <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Here is my writeup (my players please do not read):

    >>SPOILER SPACE
    >>

    >>SPOILER SPACE
    >>

    >>Abilities: Str 13, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 6
    >
    >>Skaven Traits (Ex): Skaven possess the following traits:
    >>+2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma
    >
    > These don't match. Either the stat block should change, or the ability
    > adjustment should (probably the latter if you want to maintain the +1 level
    > adjustment). Other than that, it looks nifty. I would gladly suffer the +1
    > level adjustment.

    He's used 13/11/12/10/9/8 for stats, that's the non-elite array and
    is used for all the NPCs in the monster manuals.

    --

    "tussock" <scrub@clear.net.nz> wrote in message
    > Malachias Invictus wrote:
    >> "Werebat" <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Here is my writeup (my players please do not read):

    >>>SPOILER SPACE
    >>>

    >>>SPOILER SPACE
    >>>

    >>>Abilities: Str 13, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 6
    >>
    >>>Skaven Traits (Ex): Skaven possess the following traits:
    >>>+2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma
    >>
    >> These don't match. Either the stat block should change, or the ability
    >> adjustment should (probably the latter if you want to maintain the +1
    >> level adjustment). Other than that, it looks nifty. I would gladly
    >> suffer the +1 level adjustment.
    >
    > He's used 13/11/12/10/9/8 for stats, that's the non-elite array and is
    > used for all the NPCs in the monster manuals.

    Oh. I see now. Thanks for the correction. When statting up monsters, I
    thought it was "stat minus 10/11" for the stat modifiers, like it is for the
    Jann:

    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/genie.htm#efreeti

    --

    Malachias Invictus wrote:
    > "tussock" <scrub@clear.net.nz> wrote in message
    >
    >>Malachias Invictus wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Werebat" <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote in message

    >>>These don't match. Either the stat block should change, or the ability
    >>>adjustment should (probably the latter if you want to maintain the +1
    >>>level adjustment). Other than that, it looks nifty. I would gladly
    >>>suffer the +1 level adjustment.
    >>
    >> He's used 13/11/12/10/9/8 for stats, that's the non-elite array and is
    >>used for all the NPCs in the monster manuals.
    >

    > Oh. I see now. Thanks for the correction. When statting up monsters, I
    > thought it was "stat minus 10/11" for the stat modifiers, like it is for the
    > Jann:
    >
    > http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/genie.htm#efreeti

    I think it works that way for most monsters, but not those that have NPC
    (or PC) class levels. So, if the monster entry says "1st level
    Warrior", it uses the non-elite array. An owlbear, meanwhile, uses
    10/11 plus the stat modifier for every stat.

    - Ron ^*^

Video Games