who do people play lame consoles?

John_Ryan07

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2003
I don't see why people spend money to buy a POS xbox or gamecube when the grfx suck compared to a PC. I'm sure you're gonna say something about the budget, well almost everyone i know that has either a ps2, xbox, gamecube are diehard fans and are willing to spend endless amounts of money on not only the console itself, but games too. Not to mention the amount of money they have to shell out per game, some $50 - $60! Sure, comp games cost just as much but you can always DL it for free. Also you can play pc game on the internet without some stupid monthly fee like xbox live. sure if you have dsl or cable you have to pay monthly for that, but that comes with so much more. Another thing is the controls for consoles, they suck horribly. Bassically i'm pissed that counter-strike is comin out for xbox because i know it's gonna suck balls and people are gonna do 2 things 1) think it sucks, do to horrible controls or 2)get on a comp maybe. i've tried to get several of my friends that play xbox to xonvert to pc and play cs, but now that cs is comin for xbox, they're gonna play it and hate it. oh well just blowin off some steam.

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Well...besides the obviously cheaper price...

1. A console requires virtually no expertise to operate.
2. They take up less space.
3. They work with anyone's existing television.
4. They are great tools for getting the kids to shut up.
5. Parents have greater control over what their kids see and hear with consoles than with a PC.
6. You don't have to install or maintain software to own a console.
7. You don't have to know ANYthing to own a console.
8. They are pretty damned fun and the games are generally less complicated than PC games.
9. You don't have to worry about whether or not the game you are about to buy will run well on your console--if it's for your console it will run fine.
10. You don't have to download patches to make your game compatible with your sound card.
11. You don't have hardware conflicts.
12. You don't have Windows nagging you to install updates that degrade your system performance.
13. You don't have to know anything about Intel vs. AMD or ATI vs. nVidia...
14. You'll never have to download a software patch to make your specific graphics card run correctly with a specific game...
15. You'll probably never have to deal with tech support...

I can see what you're driving at, and believe it or not, I agree with you personally. On the other hand, I understand why consoles have their place, and it mostly has to do with how simple they are...

<font color=green>The Netherlands is where you go when you're too good for heaven.</font color=green> :tongue:

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
you can rent games...

-------

<A HREF="http://www.xgr.com" target="_new">XGR-Game Reviews</A>

"You change the channel, and you change our minds..." - System of a Down

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
as Twitch said, plus some console games were never released on PC platform. Until a decent emulator come out, the only way to play Resident Evil 0 is by GameCube.
But I do agree with you too. Unless you own all the consoles, or else there are still many games you can't play cross-platform. I already own a PlayStation2 and am playing Devil May Cry 2 right now (which is another great title never be seen on PC), but I can't play Resident Evil 0; damn CAPCOM, why do they select platform!!!

It is morally wrong to allow suckers to keep their money
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
for money reasons man. personally i'm still waiting for Halo to come out on the pc. I've been tempted to buy an xbox just for that game alone. I got a ps2 so i could play ISS footie with my mates. and gran Turismo .. what a game :p

Consoles are best when theres more than one person in a room who want to play at the same time, without worrying about shed loads of hardware. when im on m own i play on my pc but consoles are definately more social (and i'm talking about real interaction with real people here lol)

+ what twitch said.

<font color=red> -- </font color=red><font color=blue>A bush in the hand is worth two birds at the bar</font color=blue>

RCPilot

Champion
I'd add it brings people into PC gaming. If you get into the console, sooner later you'll be PC gaming.

Honey, what's that smell? Don't bother me now I'm working on my computer! OOPS!

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
and as far as gaming is concerned, i think the £100 or so you spend on a console is going to last you a lot longer than £100 spent on a pc. I mean, multplayer, large screen TV gaimng for around the £150 mark is pretty good dont you think? a half decent vid card with TV out would cost you that much. and it certainly wont be considered half decent for long...

<font color=red> -- </font color=red><font color=blue>A bush in the hand is worth two birds at the bar</font color=blue>

RCPilot

Champion
Yea, I can agree with that.

Console is how I got hooked on PC. I got to playing Duke Neukem on Play Station & had never seen such things to play with. Then I got turned on to PC. The only game I ever owned on Play Station was Duke Neukem.

You know it is still my all time favorite game, maybe because it was my first. I got it for PC, but it was DOS based & I could never get it to run as good as it did on the Play Station.

I've played countless PC games now.

Honey, what's that smell? Don't bother me now I'm working on my computer! OOPS!

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
I still love my Dreamcast...I have a monitor hooked up to it, and a mouse and a keyboard...and an internet connection..it's really fun. The web browser blow's, but it's good for those times when I break my computer..right now I'm playing Hydro Thunder on it....heh.

<font color=red>120% ATi Fanboy!</font color=red>
<font color=red>3DMark 2001SE</font color=red>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6481580" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6481580</A>

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
Dreamcast was kickass! Soul Caliber! I had two of the big goonin arcade sticks for it... drool. Fun fun. I gave mine to my ex-fiances brother when I got my ps2/xbox/gc... might pick another one up though... at 79$ it's hard to resist.

Shadus

eden

Champion
The day you find me Nintendo-quality games on PC, I'll stop buying GameCube games.
The day you find me Final Fantasy ports or PC versions which do rock and work well, you tell me, and I'll stop arguing about why consoles still rock.

I don't feel like debating you, you just don't look like you're knowledgeable with the console vs PC world, nor have any updates on what's up. Needless to say, I'll be generous and hint you at the E3 list of games for consoles, and then compare them to PC. See if some aren't there and it pisses you.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 05/16/03 04:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Shadus...Soul Caliber is th one game I have been trying very hard to find...man I cant find it anywhere...BTW, Dreamcast's are going for $24.99 here in Ca...

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6481580" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6481580</A>

azgard

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
Money is one reason, generally you never need to upgrade. Your games are guaranteed to always be compatible, no hardware conflicts, and marring hardware defects the game will always run optimally.

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
The Fry's ad in todays newspaper is advertising PS2's for $179 dollars....thats the cheapest I've ever seen a "new" PS2 go for...

azgard

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
Thats because their building up for the new model PS2 with built in infrared capabilites..and apparently a hard drive and/or modem..not really sure, since I will most likely not bother with either. I dont plan on wasting my time and money on internet based console games, PC's are much better at that I feel.

JimStapleton

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2001
lol, gonna take this one chunk at a time.

> I don't see why people spend money to buy a POS xbox or
> gamecube when the grfx suck compared to a PC.

Have you seen what a PS1 can do? Open up a copy of Final Fantasy 8 or 9, and compare it to what a computer in 98 could do (didn't a PSX come out before that actually) in any game. It blew the machines away!

Honestly, I likes some games that I don't see on computers.

> Not to mention the amount of money they have to shell out
> per game, some $50 - $60! Sure, comp games cost just as
> much but you can always DL it for free.

Are you talking about free games or warez? Free games typically aren't as good quality, as for warez, it has two problems:
1) You aren't helping support the authors, and hence not helping the production of good games.
2) The loss has to be offset, namely by those of us who do pay. If we didn't they these games wouldn't be made.

> Also you can play pc game on the internet without some
> stupid monthly fee like xbox live. sure if you have dsl
> or cable you have to pay monthly for that, but that comes
> with so much more.

*sigh* you mean like cards and stuff like that? pfft, yeah right. The only games I've enjoyed online were the pay games, oddly enough, the next online game I'm going to get, will be the cheapest so far... And its for the PS2.

> Another thing is the controls for consoles, they suck
> horribly. Bassically i'm pissed that counter-strike is
> comin out for xbox because i know it's gonna suck balls
> and people are gonna do 2 things 1) think it sucks, do to
> horrible controls or 2)get on a comp maybe. i've tried to
> get several of my friends that play xbox to xonvert to pc
> and play cs, but now that cs is comin for xbox, they're
> gonna play it and hate it. oh well just blowin off some
> steam.

Ohhh, your psychich, cool. Could you tell me the questions that will be on my population genetics midterm, that'd be a real help?

Actually, I prefer the game controlers on most consoles, though you can get similar ones for comps. But that's my oppinion, I'm glad we don't all have the same oppinion, that'd make the world suck, try to realize this.

Athlon XP 1600+, MSI K7T PRO2 RU (POS), 2x256 MB CRUCIAL PC2100 CL2.5 memory, Asus V6800 DDR Delux (GF 256) video card, 6.4GB+27GB WD HD, 40GB IBM HD (all 7200RPM). My computer is an acronym

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
I'll have another go on the controller style problem. actually console style controller is best suited for action games like Devil May Cry and Resident Evil series, RPGs like Final Fantasy series, and sports games like NBA Live series; on the other hand, PC controller style (I mean keyboard/mouse combo) is suited for RTSs like Warcraft series, FPSs like Counter-Strike, and AD&D RPG like Baldur's Gate.
***Whispering*** And for the warez games, I can get either a PC game or console game for USD$1.00 each, no matter how many CDs/DVDs. But the downside is you can't play online/multiplayer mode other than LAN (TCP/IP) because warez games do not have legal or valid serial number/CD-Keys to register and log on.

It is morally wrong to allow suckers to keep their money
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>