Kindred of the East

Hi,

I'm one of those compulsive card creating types, and i've recently
filled in the hours making a KOTE set for my local group. 500 or so
cards later, & I'm now about to release it to them to do a playtest. I
figured there would be a bunch of Kuei-Jin fans out there who may be
interested in what I've done, so I thought I'd give you a taste of what
I've done. Constructive feedback from the newsgroup would be
appreciated.

First off, there are a few new rules or clarifications...

Minion Type: At present, two minion types (vampire and ally) are found
in VTES. This set adds a third, the Kuei-Jin. Kuei-Jin (KJ) are Kindred
of the East, similar yet different to the Children of Caine. KJ count
as vampires in the uncontrolled region, crypt and ash heap. When
controlled, KJ are different from vampires, and cards that affect one
will not affect the other.

Sect: KJ are Unaligned. They may change sects to be Independent,
Camarilla or Sabbat unless allowed by card text. Unaligned titles are
identical to Independent titles (i.e. 1 vote, 2 votes, etc.).
Vampires and allies cannot be Unaligned.

Yin and Yang: KJ use 'Chi' in the same way as vampires use blood, or
allies use life. Chi comes in two forms, Yin and Yang. When a KJ comes
into play (e.g., via the uncontrolled region), the controlling
Methuselah may nominate any amount of that Chi as Yin. The remainder is
Yang. It's best to use two different coloured counters to make the
difference between the two obvious, as certain card effects are based
on one rather than the other. Many effects do not distinguish between
the two, however. In my shorthand [0/0/0] represents [0 Yin, 0 Any, 0
Yang] cost.

Clan / Dharma: KJ have no Clan and, as they are not vampires, they
cannot Clan Impersonate. Instead, they have Dharmas. A Dharma is a
philosophy or religion, centered on system of moral tenets. A KJ does
not gain power through diablerizing or by being 'close to Caine'
(i.e. generation) but instead becomes more powerful as they achieve
mystic insight and enlightenment. There are five core Dharmas; the
Devil-Tigers (DT), Songs of Shadow (SS), Thrashing Dragons (TD),
Thousand Whispers (TW) and Resplendent Cranes (RC).

Direction: each KJ has a Direction in addition to their Dharma. This
denotes their basic societal role. There are five directions: North,
South, East, West and Center.

Grouping: KJ follow grouping rules as per normal VTES.

Disciplines: KJ cannot have or use vampire discipline cards, and vice
versa. Each Dharma has a handful of Disciplines that they have a
preference towards.

The following disciplines feature in my set:

Mibasham [mib], Feng Shui [feng], Kiai [kiai], Iron Mountain [iron],
Equilibrium [equ],
Tapestry [tap], Yang Prana [yap], Yin Prana [yip], Black Wind [blw],
Demon Shintai [dsh],
Beast Shintai [besh], Jade Shintai [jas], Flesh Shintai [flsh], Bone
Shintai [bosh], Blood Shintai [blsh], Ghost-Flame Shintai [gfsh],
Cultivation [cul], Dragon Tears [drt],
Internalize [int] and Obligation [obl].

Tenet: Tenet is a new card type. It works as a combat, reaction and
action modifier card, depending on the circumstances. It reflects a KJ
becoming more enlightened (and powerful) after achieving a certain
effect.

Now, a few examples of the Discipline cards I've worked on:

Veil of Maya
[AM] [0/0/0]
[mib]: Choose a younger minion. That minion has -1 intercept for the
remainder of the action. [MIB]: Only usable when a younger minion
attempts to block this acting minion. Cancel the block attempt and
untap that minion. That minion may not attempt to block this action
again.

Riddle of Maya
[COM] [0/x/0]
[mib]: Play before range is determined. Put X counters on this card.
The cost of the next combat card played by the opposing minion is
increased by +X. [MIB]: as above, with an optional press.

Wind-Water Eye
[ACT] [0/1/0]
[feng]: choose a location card in your ash heap and move it to the top
of your library. [FENG]: Remove X locations in your ash heap from the
game to move X Chi from the blood bank to this KJ.

Hand of Darkness
[ACT] [0/1/0] +1 stealth action.
[feng]: D: burn a location controlled by your predator or prey. [FENG]:
Put this card on a location. Each time this location is tapped, the
controlling Methuselah must choose a retainer or minion he or she
controls and inflict 1 damage upon that minion. Any minion may burn
this card as a D action.

Cower Before the Beast
[COM] Only playable before range is determined. Frenzy.
[besh]: the opposing minion has -1 strength for the remainder of
combat. Only one Cower Before the Beast may be played by a KJ in a
combat. [BESH]: as above, and additional strikes cost the opposing
minion an additional Chi.

Unleash the Tiger Spirit
[COM] Only usable before range is determined. Frenzy.
[besh]: This KJ has +1 strength for the remainder of combat. Once per
round, he or she may burn 1 Chi to gain an optional press. [BESH]: as
above, and this KJ gains 1 Chi each time a Frenzy card is played during
this combat.

Focusing Shout
[COM] Only playable before range is determined.
[kiai]: The cost of the next combat card played by this minion is
reduced by one. [KIAI]: as above, and gain 1 Yang Chi. If the opposing
minion is younger, put a counter on this KJ's P'o card (if any).

Tiger's Roar
[COM]
[kiai]: Strike: destroy equipment. If the opposing minion is younger,
this strike is usable at long range. [KIAI]: as above, and the opposing
minion must burn an additional Chi to play maneuvers or presses for the
remainder of the current combat.

Torturous Transcendence
[COM]
[iron]: Press, only usable if more damage was successfully inflicted to
this minion than the opposing minion during the current round of
combat. If another round of combat occurs, this KJ treats all
aggravated damage as normal damage. [COM]: as above, with an additional
optional press.

Striking the Fire
[COM] [0/1/0]
[iron]: prevent three non-aggravated damage. [IRON]: as above, and if
the damage prevented was aggravated, add a counter to this KJ's P'o
card (if any).

Chi Interrupt
[COM]
[eqm]: strike: 1 damage. The opposing minion may not burn life, blood
or Chi to pay for combat cards for the remainder of the round. [EQM]:
as above, with an optional press.

Chi Mastery
[COM]
[eqm]: strike: steal 2 chi. [EQM]: as above, and the opposing minion
must burn an additional blood to play combat cards that require blood.

Chi Ward
[AM]
[tap]: only usable when a non-bleed action is announced. Non-KJ minions
get -1 intercept when attempting to block this action. [TAP]: as
above, but usable during a bleed action.

Geomancy
[AM]
[tap]: +1 stealth, only usable when a non-KJ minion attempts to block.
[TAP]: +1 stealth.

Dragon Dance
[COM] [0/0/1]
[yap]: strike: dodge all strikes targeting this minion for the
remainder of the round. Additional strikes may not be played during
this round of combat. [YAP]: as above, and any damage-dealing strikes
made by this vampire in the following round of combat do an additional
point of damage.

Battle Trance
[COM] [0/1/0] Only usable by a KJ going to torpor.
[yap]: this KJ does not go to torpor. Combat continues as normal. At
the end of this combat, this KJ goes to torpor. This round has an
optional press, only usable to continue combat. [YAP]: prevent one
damage and gain an optional additional strike.

Dead Roads
[AM]
[yip]: +1 stealth. [YIP]: as above, and allies cannot block this
action.

Banish to Darkness
[ACT] +1 stealth action. Do not replace for the remainder of this
action.
[yip]: tap a minion. [YIP]: tap two minions controlled by your prey.

Sinful Speed
[COM] [0/3/0]
[blw]: only usable before range is determined. Burn X P'o counters to
gain X additional strikes during this round of combat. [BLW]: As above,
and if the opposing minion is burnt during this combat, this minion
gains 2 blood.

Loss of Control
[COM] Frenzy. Play before range is determined.
[blw]: This KJ cannot use weapons, cannot maneuver to long range or
press to end combat. Combat cards cost this KJ one fewer Chi. Add a
counter to this KJ's P'o card (if any). [BLW]: as above, with an
optional additional strike.

Tentacles
[COM] [0/0/1]
[dsh]: strike: make a hand strike at close or long range. [DSH]: as
above, and you may burn X P'o counters to gain +X strength for this
strike.

Demonic Countenance
[COM] [0/2/0]
[dsh]: Only usable before range is determined. This minion gains +2
strength for the remainder of combat. [DSH]: as above, and once during
this round you may burn a P'o counter to cancel a maneuver played by
the opposing minion.

Pressure Point Attack
[COM]
[jas]: strike: make a hand strike at +1 damage. This damage cannot be
prevented by equipment. [JAS]: cancel a strike card played by the
opposing minion. The minion can play another strike card.

Energy Flow
[COM] Only playable by a blocking minion.
[jas]: prevent 2 non-aggravated damage. [JAS]: as above, and untap this
minion.

Detach Limb
[COM]
[flsh]: strike: strength ranged damage. [FLSH]: strike: make a hand
strike at +1 damage. Usable at long range.

Arts of the Pennangallan
[COM] Only playable before range is determined.
[flsh]: burn 1 Chi to gain an optional maneuver. [FLSH]: the opposing
minion plays with an open hand for the remainder of the current action.

Bone Talons
[COM] [1/0/0]
[bosh]: strike: make a hand strike at +1 damage. This damage cannot be
prevented by cards requiring Disciplines. [BOSH]: only playable before
range is determined. This minion's hand strikes inflict aggravated
damage for the remainder of combat.

Skeleton Key
[ACT]
[bosh]: burn a location. [BOSH]: as above, and this action is at +1
stealth.

Ebb and Flow
[COM]
[blsh]: strike: dodge with an optional maneuver, only usable at long
range. [BLSH]: as above, with an optional additional strike.

Bloodlash
[COM] [0/1/0]
[blsh]: strike: 1R aggravated damage, only usable at long range.
[BLSH]: as above, with an optional press. If another round of combat
occurs, the range is automatically at long.

Fire-shaping
[REA] [0/1/0] Do not replace until the end of the current action.
[gfsh]: Only usable when a bleed action is declared against you. This
reacting minion untaps and attempts to block, with +1 intercept.
[GFSH]: as above, with an additional +1 intercept.

Scorch
[COM]
[gfsh]: only usable when you successfully inflict aggravated damage
upon an opposing vampire or KJ in combat. The opposing minion burns 1
blood or Chi. [GFSH]: as above, and you may discard a Frenzy card from
your hand to inflict an additional point of aggravated damage on the
opposing minion.

Cultivated Soul
[ACT]
[cul]: +1 stealth action. Untap this acting minion. Every time this
minion taps during another Methuselah's turn, this minion gains 2
Chi. Burn this card during your next untap phase. [CUL]: as above, but
this action is at +2 stealth.

Psychic Subordination
[COM]
[cul]: press, only usable to end combat. [CUL]: if damage from a strike
would burn this minion, do not burn this minion. Send this minion to
torpor.

Spirit-Eating
[ACT]
[drt]: burn a minion in torpor. This does not constitute diablerie.
[DRT]: as above, and this acting KJ gains Chi from the blood bank equal
to the capacity of the burnt minion.

Psychic Poison
[COM / REA] Only usable when an effect originating from another
Methuselah would reveal or burn cards from your hand or library. Usable
by a tapped minion.
[drt]: Cancel the effect or card (no cost is played). No further
effects can reveal or burn cards from your library or hand for the
remainder of the current turn. The opposing Methuselah may cancel the
effect of this card by burning 2 pool. [DRT] As above, and the opposing
Methuselah discards their hand.

Harmony with the All
[COM] [0/1/0] Not usable when in combat with an older minion.
[int]: strike: dodge, with an additional strike: dodge. [INT]: strike:
combat ends. No cards can be played by the opposing Methuselah for the
remainder of the action.

No Mind
[AM / REA]
[am, int]: Opposing Methuselahs may not reveal or discard cards from
your hand for the remainder of this action. [rea, INT]: only usable
when a Methuselah reveals or burns cards from your hand. That
Methuselah burns 1 pool. Alternatively, if this card is discarded or
revealed by another Methuselah, this KJ untaps and that Methuselah
loses 1 card at random from their hand.

Ancestral Emissary
[REA]
[obl]: gain 2 votes. [OBL]: as above, and if the acting minion is
younger, that minion cannot gain blood or Chi for the remainder of the
current minion phase.

Overwhelming Spirit
[AM]
[obl]: only usable during a political action. Allies and younger
minions get -1 intercept. [OBL]: as above, and if the resulting
referendum is successful, this acting KJ gains 4 Chi.

I'll post up more cards soon, if anyone is interested...

cheers,
Disco Stu
Prince of Melbourne, Australia

Good work, the rules seem a little bit complicated. I guess it would be
better if you could come up with a way to make KOTE vampires use blood
and have clans, as to not disrupt the way of the game, and make it more
playable with "normal" vampires.
Maybe LSJ could give you a hand with that.
Anyway, good work.

Disco Stu ha escrito:

Patrick Chaos wrote:
> Good work, the rules seem a little bit complicated.
True enough. Still, this didn't seem like a significant increase in the
number of rules. Playtesting should bring that out, I suppose.

> I guess it would be
> better if you could come up with a way to make KOTE vampires use blood
I have considered this. My initial draft placed a stronger emphasis on
Chi, but as time has gone on I think it may be necessary to simplify
the system and simply use blood. Such a system wouldn't allow for cards
like this, however:

Ebon Balance
[MAS: trifle]
Put this card on a KJ you control. This KJ gains +1 stealth on actions
that would allow you to search your library for a card or reveal a card
from your library. Burn this card if the KJ has more Yang than Yin.

> and have clans,
I considered that but my belief is that the feel and importance of
Dharma to KOTE, not to mention the physiological disparities between
KOTE and Cainites, don't make this a viable alternative. Unless, of
course, I make 'Kuei-Jin' the clan, and Dharma equivalent to a sect?

> as to not disrupt the way of the game, and make it more
> playable with "normal" vampires.
Fair enough. I see the KOTE minions as being similar to the larger
bloodlines, such as Blood Brothers or Ahrimanes - strong enough to make
a few different styles of decks, but not commonly used as 'support'.
While I could potentially create dual-discipline cards to make the KOTE
library more crossover-friendly, that may not be necessary if I'm
making 15-25 minions for each Dharma. What are other people's thoughts
on this?

> Maybe LSJ could give you a hand with that.
I think he's got his hands full :) I'd like to hear feedback from
those VTES players who are also fans of KOTE.

> Anyway, good work.
Thanks, glad you liked it.

Disco Stu

Disco Stu wrote:
> Patrick Chaos wrote:
> > Good work, the rules seem a little bit complicated.
> True enough. Still, this didn't seem like a significant increase in the
> number of rules. Playtesting should bring that out, I suppose.

Thanks to those who responded to me via e-mail looking for more info.
To spread the KOTE love around a bit more, I figured I'd post some more
cards up here. The following are the Tenet cards. In terms of game
mechanics, they fulfill a similar function to Master: Discipline cards,
in that they increase a Kuei-Jin's capacity. Conceptually, they are
quite different as they represent a Kuei-Jin following his moral code
and becoming more enlightened. As such, power (capacity / superior
Disciplines) cannot be merely taught, but requires some spiritual or
physical act.

As they are more specific than a Master: Discipline card, they often
give an additional effect which suits the feel of the Dharma.

If I invent a "Dharma Impersonation" card, it would probably have a
"burn all Tenets on this KJ" clause, to symbolise the loss of spiritual
enlightenment.

I am considering whether a KJ can have more than one of a certain Tenet
card on them -- your thoughts?

***

Joy Through Pain
[Tenet] [DT]
Play on a DT who has inflicted more damage than the opposing minion
during the current combat. Untap the opposing minion. [+1 capacity]

Ride the Demon
[Tenet] [DT]
Play on a DT who has burnt a minion in torpor. This DT may add a
counter to a P'o card. [+1 capacity]

Cultured Passion
[Tenet] [DT]
Remove 2 Omen cards in your ash heap to play on a DT you control. Burn
2 counters on that DT's P'o card (if any). [+1 capacity]

Precious Gift of Truth
[Tenet] [SS]
Play on a SS who has revealed a card from another Methuselah's hand.
This SS gains 1 Chi. Play with an open hand for the remainder of the
current minion phase. [+1 capacity]

Look Beyond the Obvious
[Tenet] [SS]
Play on a SS who has successfully intercepted an action. You may look
at the top three cards of your library for the remainder of the current
minion phase. [+1 capacity]

Pillar of Family
[Tenet] [SS]
Play on a SS who has successfully recruited or employed a mortal. This
SS gains +1 intercept when attempting to block actions targeting mortal
allies or retainers that you control. [+1 capacity]

Instruct the Errant
[Tenet] [RC]
Play on a RC who has successfully blocked a bleed action that would
have resolved for 2 or more bleed. [+1 capacity]

Maintain Composure
[Tenet] [RC]
Play on a RC who has successfully blocked an action that was at 2 or
more stealth. [+1 capacity]

Straighten the Wicked
[Tenet] [RC]
Play on a RC that has entered combat since your last untap phase. [+1
capacity]

A Thousand Lifetimes
[Tenet] [TW]
Play on a TW who has untapped during any Methuselah's minion phase.
Your hand size is increased by two for the remainder of the current
minion phase. [+1 capacity]

Eyes of the Sightless
[Tenet] [TW]
Play on a TW who has successfully blocked an undirected action. This TW
gains 1 Chi. The opposing Methuselah's hand is increased by two for
the remainder of the action. [+1 capacity]

Correct Imbalance
[Tenet] [TW]
Play on a TW who has successfully burnt a card in play. This TW gains
+1 intercept when attempting to block actions targeting a card that you
control. [+1 capacity]

Guide the Sun
[Tenet] [TD]
Play on a TD who has received aggravated damage. Frenzy cards that
target this TD cost an additional pool. [+1 capacity]

Consume the Dying
[Tenet] [TD]
Play on an acting TD who has successfully burnt a minion. This TD gains
an additional vote in the resulting blood hunt, if any. [+1 capacity]

Protect the Spirits
[Tenet] [TD]
Play on a TD that has successfully employed an ally. [+1 capacity]

cheers,
Disco Stu

http://www.thelasombra.com/kuei-jin.txt