4700 floppy bracket needed

I'd like to add a floppy drive from another computer to my new Dell 4700
tower system. Unfortunately, I didn't get to spec out the system as it was
bought for me by a non-profit I work for.

I need the mounting bracket and wondered if any of you know where I can get
one. I tried calling Dell but was told they won't sell them. I see that I
can get them on eBay along with a disk drive but I don't need the drive,
just the bracket.

Thanks,

Dave
18 answers Last reply
More about 4700 floppy bracket needed

    That's the only way to buy them - with the drive, as a kit, whether via
    EBay or Dell.

    Dave A. wrote:
    > I'd like to add a floppy drive from another computer to my new Dell 4700
    > tower system. Unfortunately, I didn't get to spec out the system as it was
    > bought for me by a non-profit I work for.
    >
    > I need the mounting bracket and wondered if any of you know where I can get
    > one. I tried calling Dell but was told they won't sell them. I see that I
    > can get them on eBay along with a disk drive but I don't need the drive,
    > just the bracket.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave

    welcome to the thousands of others that dell has jerked around over this
    stinkin piece of sheet metal in this system and many others. theyve been
    doing this for years, namely forcing people to buy a floppy drive from them
    because they design their cases to bundle the bracket with the drive. is
    this legal?! and people in here still say dell doesn't use proprietary
    parts! bullshit!!

    "Dave A." <danderson@mn.rr.com> wrote in message
    > I'd like to add a floppy drive from another computer to my new Dell 4700
    > tower system. Unfortunately, I didn't get to spec out the system as it
    was
    > bought for me by a non-profit I work for.
    >
    > I need the mounting bracket and wondered if any of you know where I can
    get
    > one. I tried calling Dell but was told they won't sell them. I see that
    > can get them on eBay along with a disk drive but I don't need the drive,
    > just the bracket.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave

    "Dave A." <danderson@mn.rr.com> wrote in message
    > I'd like to add a floppy drive from another computer to my new Dell 4700
    > tower system. Unfortunately, I didn't get to spec out the system as it
    > was bought for me by a non-profit I work for.
    >
    > I need the mounting bracket and wondered if any of you know where I can
    > get one. I tried calling Dell but was told they won't sell them. I see
    > that I can get them on eBay along with a disk drive but I don't need the
    > drive, just the bracket.

    Try Dell again. I just bought the complete kit, drive and all for $14.95 for
    a 3000. You won't find a kit at that price!!

    Tom J

    Tom,

    I called Dell thinking that the internal floppy they show for $13.46 would
    work
    (PN:A0062610) but they tell me I need a Y2162 which you can't buy online and
    is $28 with slow shipping. All I need is a bracket so I hate to spend $28
    for that. Do you have the part number for the one you ordered? I wonder if
    that one would fit a 4700?

    Thanks,

    Dave

    "Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote in message

    > "Dave A." <danderson@mn.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> I'd like to add a floppy drive from another computer to my new Dell 4700
    >> tower system. Unfortunately, I didn't get to spec out the system as it
    >> was bought for me by a non-profit I work for.
    >>
    >> I need the mounting bracket and wondered if any of you know where I can
    >> get one. I tried calling Dell but was told they won't sell them. I see
    >> that I can get them on eBay along with a disk drive but I don't need the
    >> drive, just the bracket.
    >
    > Try Dell again. I just bought the complete kit, drive and all for $14.95
    > for a 3000. You won't find a kit at that price!!
    >
    > Tom J

    I never said that. Dell uses a lot of quasi-sort-of-semi-standard widgets,
    parts, and attachments. The Dell Dimension 4000-series, 8000-series, Optiplex,
    and Precision system boxes all have two or more proprietary gotchas in the form
    of cabling, connections, brackets, heat sink mountings, or otherwise. The
    motherboards all fit the ATX form factor size-wise. And the P4 power connectors
    are all standard, unlike the old days when Dell rigged the ATX power connector
    pinout to be just different enough to not work with a true standard ATX. The
    lowly Dimension 2000-series is the closest thing you can get to an industry
    standard box. It needs a custom bracket for a floppy, like all the others, and
    I think that's about it.

    What you're seeing is the arrogance of a company that dominates one segment of
    the industry. HP does it with inkjets, and lest I forget Micro$oft in this
    tirade...

    Still, the Dell boxes offer a lot for the money...Ben Myers

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 22:15:35 -0500, "TeRMiNaToR" <ILLbeBACK@GoVeNaToR.com>
    wrote:

    >welcome to the thousands of others that dell has jerked around over this
    >stinkin piece of sheet metal in this system and many others. theyve been
    >doing this for years, namely forcing people to buy a floppy drive from them
    >because they design their cases to bundle the bracket with the drive. is
    >this legal?! and people in here still say dell doesn't use proprietary
    >parts! bullshit!!
    >
    >"Dave A." <danderson@mn.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> I'd like to add a floppy drive from another computer to my new Dell 4700
    >> tower system. Unfortunately, I didn't get to spec out the system as it
    >was
    >> bought for me by a non-profit I work for.
    >>
    >> I need the mounting bracket and wondered if any of you know where I can
    >get
    >> one. I tried calling Dell but was told they won't sell them. I see that
    >> can get them on eBay along with a disk drive but I don't need the drive,
    >> just the bracket.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Dave

    not my experiance. i forgot to order one with a new system for someone that
    wanted it... after receiving the system i called dell as soon as i realized
    it and asked if i could send me one to install myself and said i was happy
    to pay the upcharge... they sent it free.

    "TeRMiNaToR" <ILLbeBACK@GoVeNaToR.com> wrote in message
    > welcome to the thousands of others that dell has jerked around over this
    > stinkin piece of sheet metal in this system and many others. theyve been
    > doing this for years, namely forcing people to buy a floppy drive from
    > them
    > because they design their cases to bundle the bracket with the drive. is
    > this legal?! and people in here still say dell doesn't use proprietary
    > parts! bullshit!!
    >
    > "Dave A." <danderson@mn.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> I'd like to add a floppy drive from another computer to my new Dell 4700
    >> tower system. Unfortunately, I didn't get to spec out the system as it
    > was
    >> bought for me by a non-profit I work for.
    >>
    >> I need the mounting bracket and wondered if any of you know where I can
    > get
    >> one. I tried calling Dell but was told they won't sell them. I see that
    >> can get them on eBay along with a disk drive but I don't need the drive,
    >> just the bracket.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Dave

    As much as the industry keeps saying the floppy is dead (or is trying to
    kill it), there still is the rare occasion where it is needed. I had to
    use mine to update the firmware on a Pioneer DVD burner just the other day.
    The firmware utility was NOT the executable type. And booting from a USB
    flash memory key is not yet as simple as it needs to be. That is enough
    justification for me to include a floppy drive in any system order.

    :

    > Tom,
    >
    > I called Dell thinking that the internal floppy they show for $13.46 would
    > work
    > (PN:A0062610) but they tell me I need a Y2162 which you can't buy online

    That is the exact part that I just got overnight for $14.95, so call back
    and talk to someone else in small business parts. It comes with the bracket
    already mounted in the drive and just requires 1 screw to hold in place. You
    may have to go into setup and turn on the floppy, I did.

    Tom J

    > "Dave A." <danderson@mn.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> Tom,
    >>
    >> I called Dell thinking that the internal floppy they show for $13.46
    >> would work
    >> (PN:A0062610) but they tell me I need a Y2162 which you can't buy online
    >
    > That is the exact part that I just got overnight for $14.95, so call back
    > and talk to someone else in small business parts. It comes with the
    > bracket already mounted in the drive and just requires 1 screw to hold in
    > place. You may have to go into setup and turn on the floppy, I did.
    >
    > Tom J

    You may also try Dell P/N M1210. It's essentially the same as the Y2162,
    perhaps by another vendor -same specs.

    Stew

    "Dave A." <danderson@mn.rr.com> wrote in

    > I'd like to add a floppy drive from another computer to my new Dell
    > 4700 tower system. Unfortunately, I didn't get to spec out the system
    > as it was bought for me by a non-profit I work for.
    >
    > I need the mounting bracket and wondered if any of you know where I
    > can get one. I tried calling Dell but was told they won't sell them.
    > I see that I can get them on eBay along with a disk drive but I don't
    > need the drive, just the bracket.

    Looks like for a 4700 you have to have the "floppy drive bracket":
    <http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4700/sm/parts.htm#wp10541
    50>
    (URL may wrap)

    On a Dimension 8400 purchased at the end of November, which was
    ordered without a floppy drive, I installed a floppy drive from
    an older PC, with no problems.

    The 8400 comes with spare drive mounting rails inside the case:
    http://members.shaw.ca/caninfosys/temp/case-3.jpg
    There are two longer and two shorter rails attached to the front
    of the 8400 case, and two shorter ones with mounting screws
    installed that are in one of the drive bays.

    http://members.shaw.ca/caninfosys/temp/floppy-1.jpg
    On the left are the two optical drives, then the empty middle drive
    bay(partially covered by the floppy drive data cable), then the
    drive bay with the hard drive and two spare rails.

    http://members.shaw.ca/caninfosys/temp/floppy-2.jpg
    All of these drive rails have some identification on them:
    longer rails:
    ASSY 99XHM
    P/N: 86DVJ
    >PC+ABS FR(40)<
    shorter rails:
    ASSY 26PNP
    P/N: 995EM
    >PC+ABS FR(40)<
    shorter rails with screws installed:
    ASSY 21TUG
    PC+ABS FR(40)<

    To install the floppy drive:
    - disconnect power cables from optical and hard drives
    - disconnect IDE cable from optical drives
    - reach into the middle drive bay and by bending the tabs,
    remove the curved bezel from the PC case front, which
    exposes a flat bezel with the opening for the floppy drive
    - attach shorter pair of rails to floppy drive, and install
    the floppy drive into the middle bay
    - reattach drive data and power cables, and attach the floppy
    drive data cable, and use the P7 power connector for the floppy
    http://members.shaw.ca/caninfosys/temp/floppy-3.jpg
    http://members.shaw.ca/caninfosys/temp/case-1.jpg
    http://members.shaw.ca/caninfosys/temp/floppy-4.jpg

    On the initial restart of the 8400, I went into the BIOS setup
    (F2) and enabled the internal diskette drive, and then when
    Windows booted, it said "New Hardware Found", and now there
    is an A: drive.

    --
    Dave Patton
    http://www.confluence.org/

    I just called Dell and explained that the floppy was missed on the order and
    they said they would sell me one for $20 plus shipping. I asked about the
    bracket and they won't sell one to me. You must have hit just the right
    person who was in a generous mood.

    Thanks for the idea anyway. I think I'll build my own, could have done so
    in the time it took on hold to reach someone in customer service.

    Dave

    > not my experiance. i forgot to order one with a new system for someone
    > that wanted it... after receiving the system i called dell as soon as i
    > realized it and asked if i could send me one to install myself and said i
    > was happy to pay the upcharge... they sent it free.
    >
    > "TeRMiNaToR" <ILLbeBACK@GoVeNaToR.com> wrote in message
    >> welcome to the thousands of others that dell has jerked around over this
    >> stinkin piece of sheet metal in this system and many others. theyve been
    >> doing this for years, namely forcing people to buy a floppy drive from
    >> them
    >> because they design their cases to bundle the bracket with the drive. is
    >> this legal?! and people in here still say dell doesn't use proprietary
    >> parts! bullshit!!
    >>
    >> "Dave A." <danderson@mn.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>> I'd like to add a floppy drive from another computer to my new Dell 4700
    >>> tower system. Unfortunately, I didn't get to spec out the system as it
    >> was
    >>> bought for me by a non-profit I work for.
    >>>
    >>> I need the mounting bracket and wondered if any of you know where I can
    >> get
    >>> one. I tried calling Dell but was told they won't sell them. I see
    >>> that
    >>> can get them on eBay along with a disk drive but I don't need the drive,
    >>> just the bracket.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Dave

    the kit contains the drive, the bracket, the mounting screw, cable, and
    instructions. the drive cost $18 if purchased initially with the system
    configuration, so i fail to see the merit of your complaint for their charge
    of this item. perhaps you should purchase a usb floppy so you can take with
    you to your next and other systems. the next generation of motherboards
    will not include a floppy controller and so usb floppy will be the only
    option (and are bootable). good luck.

    >I just called Dell and explained that the floppy was missed on the order
    >and they said they would sell me one for $20 plus shipping. I asked about
    >the bracket and they won't sell one to me. You must have hit just the
    >right person who was in a generous mood.
    >
    > Thanks for the idea anyway. I think I'll build my own, could have done so
    > in the time it took on hold to reach someone in customer service.
    >
    > Dave
    >

    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >> not my experiance. i forgot to order one with a new system for someone
    >> that wanted it... after receiving the system i called dell as soon as i
    >> realized it and asked if i could send me one to install myself and said i
    >> was happy to pay the upcharge... they sent it free.
    >>
    >> "TeRMiNaToR" <ILLbeBACK@GoVeNaToR.com> wrote in message
    >>> welcome to the thousands of others that dell has jerked around over this
    >>> stinkin piece of sheet metal in this system and many others. theyve
    >>> been
    >>> doing this for years, namely forcing people to buy a floppy drive from
    >>> them
    >>> because they design their cases to bundle the bracket with the drive.
    >>> is
    >>> this legal?! and people in here still say dell doesn't use proprietary
    >>> parts! bullshit!!
    >>>
    >>> "Dave A." <danderson@mn.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>> was

    >>> get

    Chris,
    Staples had a usb external floppy drive, it also was a media card
    reader. The only drawback was that it was usb 1.1 rather than 2. For the
    floppy it wouldn't matter but I didn't want the speed limitation on the card
    readers. Price if I remember wasn't too bad, around $40 if I remember.
    Paul

    > the kit contains the drive, the bracket, the mounting screw, cable, and
    > instructions. the drive cost $18 if purchased initially with the system
    > configuration, so i fail to see the merit of your complaint for their
    > charge of this item. perhaps you should purchase a usb floppy so you can
    > take with you to your next and other systems. the next generation of
    > motherboards will not include a floppy controller and so usb floppy will
    > be the only option (and are bootable). good luck.
    >
    > "Dave A." <danderson@mn.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>I just called Dell and explained that the floppy was missed on the order
    >>and they said they would sell me one for $20 plus shipping. I asked about
    >>the bracket and they won't sell one to me. You must have hit just the
    >>right person who was in a generous mood.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the idea anyway. I think I'll build my own, could have done
    >> so in the time it took on hold to reach someone in customer service.
    >>
    >> Dave
    >>

    >> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >>> not my experiance. i forgot to order one with a new system for someone
    >>> that wanted it... after receiving the system i called dell as soon as i
    >>> realized it and asked if i could send me one to install myself and said
    >>> i was happy to pay the upcharge... they sent it free.
    >>>
    >>> "TeRMiNaToR" <ILLbeBACK@GoVeNaToR.com> wrote in message

    Hi!

    > As much as the industry keeps saying the floppy is dead (or is trying to
    > kill it), there still is the rare occasion where it is needed.

    Dunno about that...I have yet to see a system where the floppy controller
    and connector wasn't at least provided.

    I ordered my Dimension 8300 with a floppy drive...and personally, I don't
    know what I'd do without one. A floppy is still the one thing you can
    guarantee that almost ANY system will be able to read...and until a LOT of
    legacy boxes are no longer in service, the floppy will still be very much
    alive.

    William

    "William R. Walsh" <newsgroups1@saveyourspam.walshcomptech.com> wrote in
    message news:9sIyd.551661$wV.118403@attbi_s54...
    > Hi!
    >
    >> As much as the industry keeps saying the floppy is dead (or is trying to
    >> kill it), there still is the rare occasion where it is needed.
    >
    > Dunno about that...I have yet to see a system where the floppy controller
    > and connector wasn't at least provided.
    >
    > I ordered my Dimension 8300 with a floppy drive...and personally, I don't
    > know what I'd do without one. A floppy is still the one thing you can
    > guarantee that almost ANY system will be able to read...and until a LOT of
    > legacy boxes are no longer in service, the floppy will still be very much
    > alive.

    It had been 6 months since someone ask me to convert information from a 5
    1/4 disk to 3 1/2 disk, so I threw it in the dumpster last week. Within 30
    minutes I saw it going into a car. Do any of these things ever fully die??
    ;-)
    Tom J

    Update and good resolution.

    I received a phone call on Christmas Eve from a Dell manager asking if I was
    satisfied with the service I had recently received. I went out of my way to
    say in a nice way that I was not satisfied as all I wanted was a bracket.
    He told me they did have a bracket, cable and screws package for about $15.
    Before I had a chance to comment on this price, he said he would send it to
    me free of charge and wished me a Merry Christmas.

    I should be receiving the bracket, etc. this week so the outcome was good
    although it took several phone calls. Persistence pays.

    Thanks to all for your suggestions and shared experiences. Overall, my new
    Dell is a very good system and now will have the last part I think I'll
    need. :-)

    Dave

    "Dave A." <danderson@mn.rr.com> wrote in message
    >I just called Dell and explained that the floppy was missed on the order
    >and they said they would sell me one for $20 plus shipping. I asked about
    >the bracket and they won't sell one to me. You must have hit just the
    >right person who was in a generous mood.
    >
    > Thanks for the idea anyway. I think I'll build my own, could have done so
    > in the time it took on hold to reach someone in customer service.
    >
    > Dave
    >

    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >> not my experiance. i forgot to order one with a new system for someone
    >> that wanted it... after receiving the system i called dell as soon as i
    >> realized it and asked if i could send me one to install myself and said i
    >> was happy to pay the upcharge... they sent it free.
    >>
    >> "TeRMiNaToR" <ILLbeBACK@GoVeNaToR.com> wrote in message
    >>> welcome to the thousands of others that dell has jerked around over this
    >>> stinkin piece of sheet metal in this system and many others. theyve
    >>> been
    >>> doing this for years, namely forcing people to buy a floppy drive from
    >>> them
    >>> because they design their cases to bundle the bracket with the drive.
    >>> is
    >>> this legal?! and people in here still say dell doesn't use proprietary
    >>> parts! bullshit!!
    >>>
    >>> "Dave A." <danderson@mn.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>> was

    >>> get

    "Dave A." <danderson@mn.rr.com> wrote in message
    > I'd like to add a floppy drive from another computer to my new Dell 4700
    > tower system. Unfortunately, I didn't get to spec out the system as it
    > was bought for me by a non-profit I work for.
    >
    > I need the mounting bracket and wondered if any of you know where I can
    > get one. I tried calling Dell but was told they won't sell them. I see
    > that I can get them on eBay along with a disk drive but I don't need the
    > drive, just the bracket.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave
    My 4700 came without a floppy, must have missed out the selection for some
    reason.
    I bought i usb 2 smartdisk flopy drive from dixons today in the sale £14.99.
    Works fine and i can boot from usb floppy .
    Yeah
    dave

    Hi folks,

    Great news! A package arrived via courier today with not only a floppy
    bracket and cable but also a floppy drive. All were free of charge from
    Dell. It took a few phone calls but Dell earned some points with me on
    this one.

    It's already installed and working great which allowed me to load a firmware
    update for my Hitachi DeskStar 250 with a strange meowing sound which is a
    whole 'nother issue, not Dell's problem. Hopefully the update will put the
    cat to bed.

    Thanks to all for your suggestions.

    Dave

Dell Floppy Disk Computers Product