Windows Registry compression

huntern321

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
I was cleaning out my pc hard drive with a registry cleaning program. There was an option thats said compress registry files '"makes them faster". So i checked it and hit apply. now my computer now boots up to the wavy welcome logo, flashes a blue screen and reboots. I tried the whole diagnoses utility build in to windows but its doesn't find anything. Please, I need help.

Solution
Unfortunately the repair options are more heavily reliant on System Restore and the integrated backup feature in Windows 7. You could "upgrade" the existing install, but you would have to reinstall your applications regardless, and there is a very real possibility that you will end up with residual problems after the upgrade is complete. It's certainly still an option, but I believe backing up and doing a fresh install is the safer choice.
Boot into safe mode and try to revert the change through the registry cleaner app you installed. If that doesn't work, use System Restore to try restoring the OS to a point before you compressed the registry. Once you get the OS back up and running, do 2 things:

1. Uninstall that registry cleaner program.
2. NEVER use another registry cleaning program EVER again. They don't do anything, except give you problems like this. If they claim to improve the speed of your system at all, they are outright lying to you.

huntern321

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Im having trouble booting into safe mode. i press f8 at boot and it brings me to a screen with nothing but a n with a tilde over it. sorry if i sound stupid. i've never had to deal with this. also i tried the system restore, but it says something about the disk having to be protected or something.

Since there are no system restore points, that option is out. If you are unable to open the registry cleaner program through Safe Mode to change back the "registry compression", boot from your Windows 7 DVD and click the Repair your Computer option when it appears. Use the Startup Repair wizard and have the system automatically scan for startup issues. If this fails, you will have to hook your hard drive up to another computer, back up your data, put the drive back into your computer, then wipe it out completely and reinstall Windows.

Unfortunately the repair options are more heavily reliant on System Restore and the integrated backup feature in Windows 7. You could "upgrade" the existing install, but you would have to reinstall your applications regardless, and there is a very real possibility that you will end up with residual problems after the upgrade is complete. It's certainly still an option, but I believe backing up and doing a fresh install is the safer choice.

Solution