Legacies write-up in the quarterly (mild spoilers)

Last response: in Video Games
September 5, 2005 10:56:14 AM

Posted to the WW Forum, stated as a transcription of an article in the
Fall 2005 Quarterly:

-----------------------------

Legacies of Blood
More Bloodlines. New Laibon.

By L. Scott Johnson, Vampire: The Eternal Struggle Developer

Vampire: The Eternal Struggle is again exploring the more exotic
lineages of Caine's blood. In November, White Wold proudly releases
its ninth V:TES expansion, Legacies of Blood.

The set revisits the clans and disciplines introduced in 2001's
popular Bloodlines expansion with new faces, new powers, and new tools
to strengthen old strategies and to forge some new ones. What started
as a trickle with the Baali in Kindred Most Wanted grows to a torrent
of bloodlines now. The rumor of a coven of Blood Brothers in Mexico is
confirmed. The Red List welcomes new names, like the Samedi child
monster Genina. Joining Adonai of the Salubri antitribu, more
bloodlines' founders appear in Legacies of Blood, among them Muricia
of the Ahrimanes and Troglodytia of the Samedi.

Most vampire know little about the bloodlines (and might not even know
they exist). But while the bloodlines might be small in the World of
Darkness, some of their members have become legends among the Kindred.
One of the most famous (though seldom seen) will finally be captured on
a card.

Like the Baali in Kindred Most Wanted, each bloodline in Legacies of
Blood expands into group four (with the occasional group three
"bridge" vampire) so that the ¾ crypts can have access to the
bloodlines clans. (This also helps us avoid piling up too many members
in a single group pair, helping maintain the support role for which the
bloodlines are designed.) Each bloodline also gets new library support
in Discipline-based and clan-based cards (expanding the options for the
original group two bloodlines members, as well.

Bloodlines was an ambitious expansion, with 12 new clans and 10 new
Disciplines. Now the new Legacies of Blood expansion embraces that
philosophy and pushes it a little further. In addition to the clans and
Disciplines from Bloodlines, it adds a new sect, a new Discipline, and
a few more new clans.

For the first time in the eternal struggle, players can also explore
the long-hidden domains of the Laibon, the Cainites of sub-sahara
Africa. Either misunderstood or simply ignored by the western Kindred,
the secretive Laibon have evolved a different society with different
concepts of morality (Aye and Orun instead of Humanity/Path) and
different standards of interaction both with each other and with their
breathing neighbors. In V:TES terms, Laibon is introduced as a fourth
sect. It comes with a new title (or two), and several library cards
help set the tone of the sect.

One of the first questions players raised after Legacies of Blood was
announced was "Will the legacies (Laibon clans) be new clans in V:TES
(like the Salubri antitribu to the Salubri), or will they be handled by
creating new members of existing clans with the new sect designation
(like the Assamite antitribu to the Assamites)?! The answer is: both.
Some of the Cainite clans that migrated to Africa have retained enough
of their tell-tale attributes to be considered members of their
"parent" clans, at least for V:TES.

Four, however, have changed enough to be considered new clans, and
these four will each be featured in the starter decks for the set. The
Akunanse are the wise wandering "spiders" of the Ebony Kingdom,
with the Disciplines Abombwe, Animalism, and Fortitude. The founders of
the Ebony Kingdom, the Guruhi, govern it still, with the Disciplines
Animalism, Potence, and Presence. The self-indulgent Ishtarri - with
the Disciplines Celerity, Fortitude, and Presence - feed their vices
openly. The strong but conservative Osebo make excellent followers if
not leaders, with the Disciplines Auspex, Celerity, and Potence. Unlike
most of the bloodlines, these four new clans are designed to stand on
their own, not to have just a supporting role.

The Akunanse are the animalistic wanderers of the Ebony Kingdom. But
unlike the Gangrel, the experience (and stories) gained from their
wandering nature causes the other Laibon in the Ebony Kingdom to seek
out their counsel and wisdom. This means that the Akunanse do not
suffer from a lack of political and social influence (bleed and votes).
Abombwe, the signature Discipline of the Akunanse, helps the Akunanse
resist frenzy (as well as being more proactively useful as a cousin of
Protean).

The Guruhi are generally the oldest vampires and are comfortable in
their rule. Unlike the Ventrue or the Lasombra, however, their rule is
not based on overtly held titles, but on more subtle manipulations. In
the card game, this means they have to rely more on transient votes
(provided by their Presence) and have little in the way of power bleed
ability (even their 11-capacity member has no bleed bonus). Instead,
they must use stealth, blood gain, and influence (transfers) to exert
their will.

The Ishtarri are undisciplined and unpredictable. Conditional stealth,
votes, bleed, and even some untap and pool gain are all symptomatic of
their volatile natures. On those occasions when they get everything in
order, look out!

The Osebo have a natural affinity for the role of bodyguard, and
intercept combat is clearly their string point in the card game as
well. But like most Laibon, they are not just stereotypes. They have a
bit of vote power, bleed, and other proactive resources to bring to
bear as well.

The other main Legacies, the Followers of Set, Kinyonyi, Naglopers,
Shango, and Xi Dundu, are also represented with new members of their
more well-known "parent" clans and supported by new library cards.
The Ghiberti line of the Giovanni in Africa, while not technically a
Laibon Legacy in the World of Darkness, is also visited.

Of the minor Legacies, only the Mla Watu and the Nkulu Zao are4 found
in this expansion, again as part of more-familiar clans, the Harbingers
of Skulls and the Salubri antitribu.

Legacies of Blood is a sweeping expansion designed to showcase the
roles of the mysterious strangers in the already strange world of the
eternal struggle.

-----------------

-John Flournoy
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 4:12:42 PM

Mike wrote:
> Tsk once again the new Quarterly is out on paper, and yet it's not available
> to download from the WW web site... :/

Before someone else (cough cough Derek) posts a much nastier reply to
you, I'll say it:

You didn't have to include the entire huge long message in your reply,
and you didn't have to top-post it either.

:p

-John Flournoy
September 5, 2005 9:32:45 PM

"John Flournoy" <carneggy@gmail.com> wrote in message

[...]

September 6, 2005 12:19:42 AM

Anonymous
September 6, 2005 12:59:33 AM

Derek Ray wrote:

> Actually, you have me confused with others here; Mr. Coupe and Mr.
> Bakija are the netiquette enforcers. =)

Yeah--James and I tend to be the ones who hassle folks for, like, top
posting, not quoting relevant text, and whatever. 'Cause we are, like,
sanctomonious prigs. Or something.

Derek just likes kicking some ass when he feels it is necessary :-)

Peter D Bakija
pdb6@lightlink.com
http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6

"So in conclusion, our business plan is to sell hot,
easily spilled liquids to naked people."
-Brittni Meil
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 4:34:27 AM

Mike wrote:
> Tsk once again the new Quarterly is out on paper, and yet it's not available
> to download from the WW web site... :/

Since I was the one who entered the whole article into the machine on
the weekend, I am _so_ of the same opinion... :-)

Regards,

Hardy Range
Prince of Bochum, Germany
http://www.vekn.de