Malkavian Dementia, Winchester Mansion, and timing.

Here's a rules question full of all sorts of technical nits I have
trouble keeping straight:

Malkavian Dementia:
Take control of a ready Malkavian that another Methuselah controls
until your next untap phase.

Winchester Mansion:
Equipment
This equipment card represents a unique location and does not count
as equipment while in play. The vampire with this location has
superior Dementation. During each of your master phases, if you do
not play a master card from your hand, this vampire burns 1 blood.

So, if I use Malkavian Dementia to take control of a vampire with
Winchester Mansion (and assuming I play no other master cards during
that master phase):

1) I *must* pay 1 blood from it because I have not played a master
card since taking control of the vampire. (I played a master card
before I took control of it, which is what gained me control.)

2) I can *not* pay 1 blood from it because I have played a master
card at some point during my master phase, never mind whether I
had control of the vampire with Winchester Mansion at the time I
played it.

3) I somehow have my choice because I can order effects the way
I please.

Answer #2 sounds best to my ear.

Fred

Frederick Scott wrote:
> So, if I use Malkavian Dementia to take control of a vampire with
> Winchester Mansion (and assuming I play no other master cards during
> that master phase):
>
> 2) I can *not* pay 1 blood from it because I have played a master
> card at some point during my master phase, never mind whether I
> had control of the vampire with Winchester Mansion at the time I
> played it.
>
> Answer #2 sounds best to my ear.

Correct.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/