Leap Attack + Pounce = OUCH!!!

Am I reading this wrong, or can Leap Attack be combined effectively with
Pounce to give a hefty damage boost to ALL attacks? Slip in Multiattack
and -- damn!

Polymorphing into a dire lion has never looked so good!

- Ron ^*^

Werebat wrote:
> Am I reading this wrong, or can Leap Attack be combined effectively with
> Pounce to give a hefty damage boost to ALL attacks? Slip in Multiattack
> and -- damn!
>
> Polymorphing into a dire lion has never looked so good!
>
> - Ron ^*^

No, that's right. It's a feat you're normally only going to use once
per combatant unless he turns tail, but yeah.

Some Guy wrote:
> Werebat wrote:
>
>> Am I reading this wrong, or can Leap Attack be combined effectively
>> with Pounce to give a hefty damage boost to ALL attacks? Slip in
>> Multiattack and -- damn!
>>
>> Polymorphing into a dire lion has never looked so good!
>>
>> - Ron ^*^
>>

> No, that's right. It's a feat you're normally only going to use once
> per combatant unless he turns tail, but yeah.

You might only NEED to use it once!

Or, if there's more than one opponent, you pounce/leap from one to the
next for the whole combat. Yeah, you draw AoO, but... damn!

Mobility would help, too.

- Ron ^*^

Werebat wrote:

> Some Guy wrote:
>
>> Werebat wrote:
>>
>>> Am I reading this wrong, or can Leap Attack be combined effectively
>>> with Pounce to give a hefty damage boost to ALL attacks? Slip in
>>> Multiattack and -- damn!
>>>
>>> Polymorphing into a dire lion has never looked so good!
>>>
>>> - Ron ^*^
>>>

>> No, that's right. It's a feat you're normally only going to use once
>> per combatant unless he turns tail, but yeah.
>

> You might only NEED to use it once!

Though as a dire lion, you're only going to get x2 Power Attack damage
instead of x3. Go for a Psychic Warrior instead and take Psionic Lion's
Charge. It'll do the same thing but you get to use a 2-handed weapon
and thus triple P.A. damage.

> Or, if there's more than one opponent, you pounce/leap from one to the
> next for the whole combat. Yeah, you draw AoO, but... damn!
>
> Mobility would help, too.
>
> - Ron ^*^

Which requires Dodge, so that's 2 more feats. Psychic Warrior is
looking better all the time...

Some Guy wrote:

> Werebat wrote:
>

>> Some Guy wrote:

>>> No, that's right. It's a feat you're normally only going to use once
>>> per combatant unless he turns tail, but yeah.
>>

>> You might only NEED to use it once!
>

> Though as a dire lion, you're only going to get x2 Power Attack damage
> instead of x3. Go for a Psychic Warrior instead and take Psionic Lion's
> Charge. It'll do the same thing but you get to use a 2-handed weapon
> and thus triple P.A. damage.

If balanced, the psionicist will run out of PSPs fairly soon if he uses
this ability every round. I'm assuming it allows full iterative attacks
at the end of a charge?

>> Or, if there's more than one opponent, you pounce/leap from one to the
>> next for the whole combat. Yeah, you draw AoO, but... damn!
>>
>> Mobility would help, too.
>>
>> - Ron ^*^
>>

> Which requires Dodge, so that's 2 more feats. Psychic Warrior is
> looking better all the time...

Psychic Warrior allows you to charge, get full iterative attacks, then
charge away in the next round while enjoying a +4 bonus to AC vs AoO?
Well, Psionics does have a fairly high cheese factor.

I was thinking of a Duelist or Swashbuckler (whichever one gets Improved
Mobility), who would enjoy the +8 AC bonus vs AoO when charging away.
And remember, lion claws and bite count as light weapons! :^)

- Ron ^*^

Werebat wrote:

> Some Guy wrote:
>
>> Werebat wrote:

>>> You might only NEED to use it once!
>>

>> Though as a dire lion, you're only going to get x2 Power Attack damage
>> instead of x3. Go for a Psychic Warrior instead and take Psionic
>> Lion's Charge. It'll do the same thing but you get to use a 2-handed
>> weapon and thus triple P.A. damage.
>

> If balanced, the psionicist will run out of PSPs fairly soon if he uses
> this ability every round. I'm assuming it allows full iterative attacks
> at the end of a charge?

Yes, it does. As for the PP question, power stones are cheap: it's a
second level ability, which means he can buy them for 150 GP each (or
make them for 75 if he's got the Imprint Stone feat). This is
especially good since you're activating it before the charge anyway,
when its AOO probably won't be a problem.

>>> Or, if there's more than one opponent, you pounce/leap from one to
>>> the next for the whole combat. Yeah, you draw AoO, but... damn!
>>>
>>> Mobility would help, too.
>>>
>>> - Ron ^*^
>>>

>> Which requires Dodge, so that's 2 more feats. Psychic Warrior is
>> looking better all the time...
>

> Psychic Warrior allows you to charge, get full iterative attacks, then
> charge away in the next round while enjoying a +4 bonus to AC vs AoO?
> Well, Psionics does have a fairly high cheese factor.

If the guy you charged wasn't felled by your Leap Attack and if you have
Dodge/Mobility (and you could use Dodge versus the one you're leaping
away from to actually make it +5 to your AC), yeah. Again, it's
normally a one-trick pony so it's not overpowered.

> I was thinking of a Duelist or Swashbuckler (whichever one gets Improved
> Mobility), who would enjoy the +8 AC bonus vs AoO when charging away.

That's another way to do it, too. Be a human and multiclass so you get
the best of both worlds!

> And remember, lion claws and bite count as light weapons! :^)

All the better for Weapon Finesse, but not so great for Power Attack.

Some Guy wrote:
> Werebat wrote:
>

>> Some Guy wrote:

>>> Though as a dire lion, you're only going to get x2 Power Attack
>>> damage instead of x3. Go for a Psychic Warrior instead and take
>>> Psionic Lion's Charge. It'll do the same thing but you get to use a
>>> 2-handed weapon and thus triple P.A. damage.
>>

>> If balanced, the psionicist will run out of PSPs fairly soon if he
>> uses this ability every round. I'm assuming it allows full iterative
>> attacks at the end of a charge?
>

> Yes, it does. As for the PP question, power stones are cheap: it's a
> second level ability, which means he can buy them for 150 GP each (or
> make them for 75 if he's got the Imprint Stone feat). This is
> especially good since you're activating it before the charge anyway,
> when its AOO probably won't be a problem.

>>> Which requires Dodge, so that's 2 more feats. Psychic Warrior is
>>> looking better all the time...
>>

>> Psychic Warrior allows you to charge, get full iterative attacks, then
>> charge away in the next round while enjoying a +4 bonus to AC vs AoO?
>> Well, Psionics does have a fairly high cheese factor.
>

> If the guy you charged wasn't felled by your Leap Attack and if you have
> Dodge/Mobility (and you could use Dodge versus the one you're leaping
> away from to actually make it +5 to your AC), yeah. Again, it's
> normally a one-trick pony so it's not overpowered.
>
>> I was thinking of a Duelist or Swashbuckler (whichever one gets
>> Improved Mobility), who would enjoy the +8 AC bonus vs AoO when
>> charging away.
>

> That's another way to do it, too. Be a human and multiclass so you get
> the best of both worlds!
>
>> And remember, lion claws and bite count as light weapons! :^)
>

> All the better for Weapon Finesse, but not so great for Power Attack.

Ah, but natural weapons CAN be used to Power Attack with!

So, they're the best of both worlds.

Werebat wrote:

> Ah, but natural weapons CAN be used to Power Attack with!
>
> So, they're the best of both worlds.

Yes, but only with x2 for Leap Attack. What self-respecting munchkin
would settle for x2 when he can get x3, I ask you? <g>

Some Guy wrote:

> Werebat wrote:
>

>> Some Guy wrote:

>>> Though as a dire lion, you're only going to get x2 Power Attack
>>> damage instead of x3. Go for a Psychic Warrior instead and take
>>> Psionic Lion's Charge. It'll do the same thing but you get to use a
>>> 2-handed weapon and thus triple P.A. damage.
>>

>> If balanced, the psionicist will run out of PSPs fairly soon if he
>> uses this ability every round. I'm assuming it allows full iterative
>> attacks at the end of a charge?
>

> Yes, it does. As for the PP question, power stones are cheap: it's a
> second level ability, which means he can buy them for 150 GP each (or
> make them for 75 if he's got the Imprint Stone feat). This is
> especially good since you're activating it before the charge anyway,
> when its AOO probably won't be a problem.

Well, as I said, Psionics does have a fairly high cheese factor.
Consider all the "Yeah, that's powerful BUT..." one-ups involving
psionics. Bah.

I like Cordell's module work -- a LOT -- but his game mechanics books
have issues. I've yet to see a version of psionics that didn't have big
honkin' munchkin problems.

>>> Which requires Dodge, so that's 2 more feats. Psychic Warrior is
>>> looking better all the time...

See below:

>> Psychic Warrior allows you to charge, get full iterative attacks, then
>> charge away in the next round while enjoying a +4 bonus to AC vs AoO?
>> Well, Psionics does have a fairly high cheese factor.
>

> If the guy you charged wasn't felled by your Leap Attack and if you have
> Dodge/Mobility (and you could use Dodge versus the one you're leaping
> away from to actually make it +5 to your AC), yeah.

Oh, so you would still have to blow the same 2 feats for the psychic
warrior, then? You implied that it was superior because you wouldn't.

> Again, it's
> normally a one-trick pony so it's not overpowered.

I don't think it's overpowered, but it is POWERFUL.

>> I was thinking of a Duelist or Swashbuckler (whichever one gets
>> Improved Mobility), who would enjoy the +8 AC bonus vs AoO when
>> charging away.
>

> That's another way to do it, too. Be a human and multiclass so you get
> the best of both worlds!

True enough. And my first point remains, Leap attack and Pounce are a
powerful combo. You just illustrated a way for psion-types to get a
different form of Pounce.

>> And remember, lion claws and bite count as light weapons! :^)
>

> All the better for Weapon Finesse, but not so great for Power Attack.

See my other post.

- Ron ^*^

Werebat wrote:

> Some Guy wrote:
>
>> Werebat wrote:

>>> If balanced, the psionicist will run out of PSPs fairly soon if he
>>> uses this ability every round. I'm assuming it allows full iterative
>>> attacks at the end of a charge?
>>

>> Yes, it does. As for the PP question, power stones are cheap: it's a
>> second level ability, which means he can buy them for 150 GP each (or
>> make them for 75 if he's got the Imprint Stone feat). This is
>> especially good since you're activating it before the charge anyway,
>> when its AOO probably won't be a problem.
>

> Well, as I said, Psionics does have a fairly high cheese factor.
> Consider all the "Yeah, that's powerful BUT..." one-ups involving
> psionics. Bah.

In my last campaign one of the players was a straight psion. He quickly
learned how easy it is to blow all your power points early on the
higher-level powers and have nothing left but a crossbow in subsequent
encounters that day.

> I like Cordell's module work -- a LOT -- but his game mechanics books
> have issues. I've yet to see a version of psionics that didn't have big
> honkin' munchkin problems.

The same guy who was a psion last time is a soulknife this time, so
we'll see. So far he hasn't dominated the game much and seems to be
filling a slot somewhere in between the monk and the rogue.

> See below:
>

>>> Psychic Warrior allows you to charge, get full iterative attacks,
>>> then charge away in the next round while enjoying a +4 bonus to AC vs
>>> AoO? Well, Psionics does have a fairly high cheese factor.
>>

>> If the guy you charged wasn't felled by your Leap Attack and if you
>> have Dodge/Mobility (and you could use Dodge versus the one you're
>> leaping away from to actually make it +5 to your AC), yeah.
>

> Oh, so you would still have to blow the same 2 feats for the psychic
> warrior, then? You implied that it was superior because you wouldn't.

What I meant was that a Psychic Warrior would have bonus feats to be
able to take those if he chose. You've got to be at least 5th level in
classes with Jump as a class skill to even take Leap Attack, so you're
not going to have Leap Attack AND Power Attack AND Dodge AND Mobility
without some.

On the other hand, with a full attack and x3 damage on a charge, you may
not NEED to avoid AOOs if you can thwack your target into dropping in
one round.

>> Again, it's normally a one-trick pony so it's not overpowered.
>

> I don't think it's overpowered, but it is POWERFUL.

True dat.

>>> I was thinking of a Duelist or Swashbuckler (whichever one gets
>>> Improved Mobility), who would enjoy the +8 AC bonus vs AoO when
>>> charging away.
>>

>> That's another way to do it, too. Be a human and multiclass so you
>> get the best of both worlds!
>

> True enough. And my first point remains, Leap attack and Pounce are a
> powerful combo. You just illustrated a way for psion-types to get a
> different form of Pounce.

There's a druid feat that also allows this, IIRC.

>>> And remember, lion claws and bite count as light weapons! :^)
>>

>> All the better for Weapon Finesse, but not so great for Power Attack.
>

> See my other post.

Yup.

In article <1HlXe.15177$mH.4342@fed1read07>, someguy@thedoor.gov says...

> > If balanced, the psionicist will run out of PSPs fairly soon if he uses
> > this ability every round. I'm assuming it allows full iterative attacks
> > at the end of a charge?
>
> Yes, it does. As for the PP question, power stones are cheap: it's a
> second level ability, which means he can buy them for 150 GP each (or
> make them for 75 if he's got the Imprint Stone feat). This is
> especially good since you're activating it before the charge anyway,
> when its AOO probably won't be a problem.

Strictly by the rules, activating a power stone is a standard action, so
you only get to charge once in two rounds.

Even if you ignore that rule (which is a good idea, IMO) and make
activation time == normal manifesting time, you still need to have the
stone in hand, I think, so you'd need Quick Draw.

BTW, Ron, this is not all psionic lion's charge does. "Augment: For
every additional power point you spend, each of your attacks after a
charge in the current round gains a circumstance bonus on damage equal
to the number of additional points spent."

And there's also a weapon enhancement in Unapproachable East that lets
you deal double damage in a charge, +1-equivalent.

And also the Battle Jump feat, that lets you charge people by dropping
at least 5 ft. onto them, and deal double damage when you do that.

Which could (depends on the interpretation of Battle Jump) combine
rather nicely with the psychic warriors ability to run up walls.

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

Jasin Zujovic wrote:
> In article <1HlXe.15177$mH.4342@fed1read07>, someguy@thedoor.gov says...
>

>>>If balanced, the psionicist will run out of PSPs fairly soon if he uses
>>>this ability every round. I'm assuming it allows full iterative attacks
>>>at the end of a charge?
>>
>>Yes, it does. As for the PP question, power stones are cheap: it's a
>>second level ability, which means he can buy them for 150 GP each (or
>>make them for 75 if he's got the Imprint Stone feat). This is
>>especially good since you're activating it before the charge anyway,
>>when its AOO probably won't be a problem.
>

> Strictly by the rules, activating a power stone is a standard action, so
> you only get to charge once in two rounds.

Actually, spell completion & spell trigger items take as long to
activate as the spell they store, so it would be a swift action to use a
power stone with Psionic Lion's Charge in it.

> Even if you ignore that rule (which is a good idea, IMO) and make
> activation time == normal manifesting time, you still need to have the
> stone in hand, I think, so you'd need Quick Draw.

Yep.

In article <HcnXe.15190$mH.1539@fed1read07>, someguy@thedoor.gov says...

> > I like Cordell's module work -- a LOT -- but his game mechanics books
> > have issues. I've yet to see a version of psionics that didn't have big
> > honkin' munchkin problems.
>
> The same guy who was a psion last time is a soulknife this time, so
> we'll see. So far he hasn't dominated the game much and seems to be
> filling a slot somewhere in between the monk and the rogue.

At least on the WotC minmaxing boards, the soulknife seems to be
considered underpowered. I've never played one (for more than one
session), but I've created a few test characters at mid levels and it
seemed OK to me. AC is a bit weak, perhaps.

BTW, there are some nice, nice options for soulknives (although only
kalashtar ones, IIRC) in Races of Eberron.

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

In article <DmnXe.15191$mH.3081@fed1read07>, someguy@thedoor.gov says...

> >>Yes, it does. As for the PP question, power stones are cheap: it's a
> >>second level ability, which means he can buy them for 150 GP each (or
> >>make them for 75 if he's got the Imprint Stone feat). This is
> >>especially good since you're activating it before the charge anyway,
> >>when its AOO probably won't be a problem.
> >
> > Strictly by the rules, activating a power stone is a standard action, so
> > you only get to charge once in two rounds.
>
> Actually, spell completion & spell trigger items take as long to
> activate as the spell they store, so it would be a swift action to use a
> power stone with Psionic Lion's Charge in it.

Could you give me a cite or a page number for that?

The only relevant rules I can find are:

Power stones: "Activating a power completion item is a standard action
and provokes attacks of opportunity exactly as manifesting a power
does."

Dorjes: "Activating a power trigger item is a standard action that does
not provoke attacks of opportunity."

Wands: "[...] casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action
that doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity. (If the spell being cast,
however, has a longer casting time than 1 action, it takes that long to
cast the spell from a wand.)"

Interestingly enough, I cannot find anything in the SRD about how long
it takes to activate a scroll.

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

Jasin Zujovic wrote:
> In article <HcnXe.15190$mH.1539@fed1read07>, someguy@thedoor.gov says...
>

>>>I like Cordell's module work -- a LOT -- but his game mechanics books
>>>have issues. I've yet to see a version of psionics that didn't have big
>>>honkin' munchkin problems.
>>
>>The same guy who was a psion last time is a soulknife this time, so
>>we'll see. So far he hasn't dominated the game much and seems to be
>>filling a slot somewhere in between the monk and the rogue.
>

> At least on the WotC minmaxing boards, the soulknife seems to be
> considered underpowered. I've never played one (for more than one
> session), but I've created a few test characters at mid levels and it
> seemed OK to me. AC is a bit weak, perhaps.
>
> BTW, there are some nice, nice options for soulknives (although only
> kalashtar ones, IIRC) in Races of Eberron.

Amen. Soulknife is one of the weaker classes, but RoE fixes that somewhat.

RoE fixes several things, in fact. My next campaign is probably going
to be an Eberron game, and the only books for PC generation will be PHB,
the for "Completes", XPH, Eberron Campaign Setting, and RoE. There's
PLENTY of variety there.

Only the XPH will need more than passing modding.

- Ron ^*^

Jasin Zujovic wrote:
> In article <DmnXe.15191$mH.3081@fed1read07>, someguy@thedoor.gov says...

>>>Strictly by the rules, activating a power stone is a standard action, so
>>>you only get to charge once in two rounds.
>>
>>Actually, spell completion & spell trigger items take as long to
>>activate as the spell they store, so it would be a swift action to use a
>>power stone with Psionic Lion's Charge in it.
>

> Could you give me a cite or a page number for that?
>
> The only relevant rules I can find are:
>
> Power stones: "Activating a power completion item is a standard action
> and provokes attacks of opportunity exactly as manifesting a power
> does."
>
> Dorjes: "Activating a power trigger item is a standard action that does
> not provoke attacks of opportunity."
>
> Wands: "[...] casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action
> that doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity. (If the spell being cast,
> however, has a longer casting time than 1 action, it takes that long to
> cast the spell from a wand.)"
>
> Interestingly enough, I cannot find anything in the SRD about how long
> it takes to activate a scroll.

There are two seemingly contradictory passages in the book, the ones
listed above and the following one:

"The manifesting time of a power is the time required to activate the
same power in an item, whether it's a power stone, a dorje, or a psionic
tattoo, unless the item description specifically states otherwise."

In terms of spells, which are functionally the same as psionics for
purposes of this discussion, we find the following in the FAQ:

"How long does it take to activate a scroll with an identify
spell on it? How about a scroll with any of the summon
monster spells or a wand of summon monster? This has been
a serious debate for some of us. Page 213 of the DUNGEON
MASTER’s Guide, under Using Magic Items, says
“Activating a magic item is a standard action unless the
item description indicates otherwise. However, the casting
time of a spell is the time required to activate the same
power in an item, whether it’s a scroll, a wand, or a pair of
boots, unless the item description specifically states
otherwise.” Yet, the very next section (spell completion
items) states: “This is the activation method for scrolls . . .
Activating a spell completion item is a standard action and
provokes attacks of opportunity exactly as casting a spell
does.” The Player’s Handbook section on scrolls also says
it’s a standard action, yet the DUNGEON MASTER’s Guide
spell storing weapon ability on page 225 says “This special
ability is an exception to the general rule that casting a spell
from an item takes at least as long as casting that spell
normally.” Which set of rules is correct?"

"Activating any magic item is a standard action, unless the
item duplicates a spell effect that has a longer casting time or
unless the item description specifies a different casting time.
The sections on spell completion and spell trigger items should
include the caveat that activating the item takes as long as
casting the stored spell would take. Thus, it takes 1 hour to
activate a scroll with an identify spell on it. A scroll or a wand
with any of the summon monster spells in it takes a full round
to activate, just as casting a summon monster spell does.
A command word item takes a standard action to activate,
no matter what the casting time of the spell it duplicates. In
general, command word items don’t duplicate spells with long
casting times.
Use-activated items typically don’t have any activation
times (because they function continually or because you
activate them automatically as part of the action you take to use
the item). Like command word items, use-activated items
usually don’t duplicate spells with long casting times.
Activating a scroll (or any other spell completion item) is “like
casting a spell for purposes of arcane spell failure (such as from
armor)” (see “Activation” on page 238 of the DUNGEON
MASTER’s Guide). An armored rogue who activates a scroll with
Use Magic Device suffers the normal arcane spell failure
chance."

Note in particular the sentence "The sections on spell completion and
spell trigger items should include the caveat that activating the item
takes as long as casting the stored spell would take." Thus, you can
have a scroll of Quickened Shield (or a power stone of Quickened Force
Screen) and it is a free action/swift action to activate.

In case you think this is an aberration, the old Sage agrees with the
new Sage on this point. Check out part two of the Rules of the Game
article on Using Magic Items:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20041116a

Note the following excerpts:

"Activating a magic item is a standard action unless the item
description indicates otherwise. However, the casting time of a spell is
the time required to activate the same power in an item, regardless of
the kind of magic item or its activation method, unless the item
description specifically states otherwise (see page 213 in the Dungeon
Masters Guide). Potions (and oils) are an exception. Drinking a potion
or applying an oil to yourself is always a standard action, no matter
what the stored spell's casting time is. Administering a potion or oil
to an unconscious ally is always a full-round action (see page 229 in
the Dungeon Master's Guide)."

"If the spell contained in a spell completion item has a casting time
other than 1 standard action, that is its activation time. For example,
a scroll containing a summon monster I spell has an activation time of 1
round because that's the casting time for the spell."

"Activating a spell trigger item is a standard action that does not
provoke attacks of opportunity. If the spell stored in a spell trigger
item has a casting time other than 1 standard action, that is its
activation time."

Though the DMG says "longer," the FAQ & RotG agree that in those two
cases, it's the spell's casting time which determines the activation
time and not the item type. In other cases (potions, etc.) they point
out that it's always a standard or full-round action regardless of
casting time.

When that FAQ entry was written, swift & immediate actions had not been
made official parts of the game, so later entries which do include those
concepts post-date this one. Still, since manifesting powers works
almost identically to casting spells, it's pretty clear the intent is
that power stones (which work like scrolls do) and dorjes (which work
like wands do) follow the same rules.

In article <7zIXe.15290$mH.2439@fed1read07>, someguy@thedoor.gov says...

> >>Actually, spell completion & spell trigger items take as long to
> >>activate as the spell they store, so it would be a swift action to use a
> >>power stone with Psionic Lion's Charge in it.
> >
> > Could you give me a cite or a page number for that?
>
> [snip]

Could you ever. :)

Thanks.

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

Jasin Zujovic wrote:
> In article <7zIXe.15290$mH.2439@fed1read07>, someguy@thedoor.gov says...

>>>Could you give me a cite or a page number for that?
>>
>>[snip]
>

> Could you ever. :)
>
> Thanks.

No problem.