Need some help deciding what videocard to buy

DarkLife

Distinguished
May 18, 2003
Hello Everyone,

This is the first time I have used this website forum.

My question is this what type of videocard can I use or should buy to do the following: Multi-Monitor support
Video editing ( on a analog camcorder)(later I will get a digital one) Video capturing and of course a great gamming card. I play games the most, but I would like to do some video editiing of my daughter so I am new to that.

Here is my setup as of now: I Beleive this is the motherboard I have in this computer. ( If there is a way to run a program please soemone tell me so I can know exactly)
K7T266-Pro MSI
CPU - AMD Anthlon Thunderbird 1.5 ( but reads as 1.3 gighz)
Ram - 768 DDR
Hardrives - 20 gig Maxtor and a 40 gig Maxtor
Sound card - Sound Blaster Live vaule
Graphics Card - Ati- All -Wonder-Radeon 32 mb
Dvd burner- Pioneer DVR-105
CD-Drive - 50x (Cheap one)

I keep hearing alot about videocards and honestly I have no idea what card to get that will work best for my system.
I was planning on getting a 100 gig or more hardrive when I bought the videocard also.
Plus maybe a motherboard and cpu upgrade in a few months after.

DarkLife

Distinguished
May 18, 2003
So you dont think nivda also?
I just keep hearing so much I just want a card that does what I said in the post

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
Maybe a 9700 all-in-wonder? Its gonna put you out about 300 bucks tho

<b><font color=red>Remember kids, if you see a downed power line, suck on the end, candy comes out!</font color=red></b>

Nah, not nvidia, not as good 2D quality and their cinema series isn't as good as the AIW IMO.
But IF you are looking for multi-monitor like you said you have to reconsider a few things. The AIW are great all-in-one solutions, but it does mean no multi-monitor (just 1 DVI). So you need a second PCI video card for that second monitor. Now another solution is get the best GAMING card you like, R9800P/FX5900U, whatever, which should have multi-monitor support. Then add to that a video capture card (anyone from Hauppage, Pinnacle, even the ATI TV wonder should do), you could even go external firewire/usb2.0 capture device as well (more expensive but more versitile).
You COULD also go with a GOOD gaming card that has VIVO (video-in/video-out) which would do the basic capture functions and still give you dual monitor support, all on one card. Youd have to check carefully as I'm not sure which of the NEW cards have VIVO it will vary from OEM to OEM.

Anywhoo, those are my recommendations/comments, worth what you paid for them. (how valuable is your time?)

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red> :tongue: GA to SK

DarkLife

Distinguished
May 18, 2003
I will consider these options and thanks someone in gamespy I know has the 9700 aiw and he uses a program called multimon and he says the card can do multimonitor support. I guess its hard to get it all in one card then.
I thought if I went with a seperate capture card that it would be bad quality?

Basically I just want... multi monitor support...and capture video editing ability it dont even have to have the software for it as long as it can do it.

Question: Do I need a specail card to use if I wanted to use multi-monitor if the card dont have 2 dvi's?

DarkLife

Distinguished
May 18, 2003
I will consider these options and thanks someone in gamespy I know has the 9700 aiw and he uses a program called multimon and he says the card can do multimonitor support. I guess its hard to get it all in one card then.
I thought if I went with a seperate capture card that it would be bad quality?

Basically I just want... multi monitor support...and capture video editing ability it dont even have to have the software for it as long as it can do it.

Question: Do I need a specail card to use if I wanted to use multi-monitor if the card dont have 2 dvi's?

TRENDING THREADS