DVD decoder?

I placed an old DVD drive I had in a 4550 and it has never worked
right for playing movies. Apparently the old software decoder it
came with isn't compatible with XP and isn't readily updatable.

Can anyone recommend a software decoder, preferably free? Or
should I just buy a newer drive (do they still come with soft
decoders?).

thanks,
Dave
6 answers Last reply
More about decoder

    there is an update on the download page at support.dell.com for the
    cyberlink softdvd software that came with your system. i think that the
    download is actually the full application. have your tried this?

    In article <nYgyd.8059$EL5.3743@trndny09>, "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    >there is an update on the download page at support.dell.com for the
    >cyberlink softdvd software that came with your system. i think that the
    >download is actually the full application. have your tried this?

    Just tried it. No joy. Since I didn't get a DVD when I purchased
    the system, and its an old non-Dell one, it won't let me install
    the upgrade. Any other avenues?

    Thanks for the response just the same.

    understandably the dell software is set to work with just the drives that
    dell sold... sometimes you get lucky with regard to compatibility but that
    is just chance... your drive should have come with some sort of player, but
    since you don't have the software consider these alternatives... but take
    note that several of them are supported though advertisements (aka spyware)
    so pay close attention to the license agreements.
    http://www.download.com/Media-Players/3150-2139_4-0.html?tag=stbc.gp

    Christopher Muto wrote:
    > understandably the dell software is set to work with just the drives
    that
    > dell sold... sometimes you get lucky with regard to compatibility but
    that
    > is just chance... your drive should have come with some sort of
    player, but
    > since you don't have the software consider these alternatives... but
    take
    > note that several of them are supported though advertisements (aka
    spyware)
    > so pay close attention to the license agreements.
    Well, if it helps any, Windows Media Player 9 and 10 will play DVD's.

    Cyclops wrote:
    > Christopher Muto wrote:
    > > understandably the dell software is set to work with just the
    drives
    > that
    > > dell sold... sometimes you get lucky with regard to compatibility
    but
    > that
    > > is just chance... your drive should have come with some sort of
    > player, but
    > > since you don't have the software consider these alternatives...
    but
    > take
    > > note that several of them are supported though advertisements (aka
    > spyware)
    > > so pay close attention to the license agreements.
    > Well, if it helps any, Windows Media Player 9 and 10 will play DVD's.

    not out of the box they don't. once you install some dvd-playing
    software (like WinDVD, PowerDVD, etc) it'll install the required DVD
    playback codecs. Once these are on your system, you can then play DVDs
    in any app, including Media Player. Media Player by itself won't play
    DVD content out of the box.
    To the OP, I'd recommend getting an OEM copy of WinDVD or similar, or
    buying a commercial codec over the web.

    Hi!

    You could try the VideoLAN player. It's free and works in a pinch, though I
    have noticed some minor audio issues with certain movies.

    http://www.videolan.org/

    William

Dell Decoder Software Computers