Questions from a Newbie Prince

Hi! I was recently appointed prince, and I have a few questions. Since
the Conclave is having problems, I thought I'd post them here.

1) I'm told that demo kits can be ordered from WW directly. How do I do
this? I can't find the demo kits in the WW online store. (And in case
you're wondering, there is a local game retailer I can order through.
But they have a terrible record with special orders, so I would rather
not rely on them. They have a monopoly in town, and act like it too.)

2) Is there a "How to Run the Perfect Demo" guide I can read? I've
Googled, but haven't found anything useful. I've taught new players
before, but I'm sure I could learn to do it more effectively.

3) Are any outdated storyline kits still available, except as cards on
eBay? The Eye of Hazimel and original Infernal Plague sound
interesting, and they'd be new to my players.

Thanks,
Charles, VEKN Prince of Murray, KY

GodlessRose wrote:

> Hi! I was recently appointed prince, and I have a few questions. Since
> the Conclave is having problems, I thought I'd post them here.

Huh. Weird.

> 1) I'm told that demo kits can be ordered from WW directly. How do I do
> this? I can't find the demo kits in the WW online store. (And in case
> you're wondering, there is a local game retailer I can order through.
> But they have a terrible record with special orders, so I would rather
> not rely on them. They have a monopoly in town, and act like it too.)

I'm pretty sure that The Lasombra (Jeff Thompson--pretty much Mr. VTES)
sells demo kits and/or prize support kits (assuming you are a Prince, which
you are, so that should work out fine) if you don't have a good local
retailer. Check out his web site at:

http://www.thelasombra.com

I also think Ben Peal (US National Coordinator) has the ability to sell
things like this directly too.

> 2) Is there a "How to Run the Perfect Demo" guide I can read? I've
> Googled, but haven't found anything useful. I've taught new players
> before, but I'm sure I could learn to do it more effectively.

I don't think there is. What kind of questions do you have?

> 3) Are any outdated storyline kits still available, except as cards on
> eBay? The Eye of Hazimel and original Infernal Plague sound
> interesting, and they'd be new to my players.

Probably. Again, try Jeff or Ben.

Peter D Bakija
pdb6@lightlink.com
http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6

"So in conclusion, our business plan is to sell hot,
easily spilled liquids to naked people."
-Brittni Meil

"Peter D Bakija" <pdb6@lightlink.com> wrote in message
>> 2) Is there a "How to Run the Perfect Demo" guide I can read? I've
>> Googled, but haven't found anything useful. I've taught new players
>> before, but I'm sure I could learn to do it more effectively.
>
> I don't think there is. What kind of questions do you have?

The following was posted to the conclave a long ways back. I kept it
but never got around to using it, but I imagine its better than nothing:

-John P.
Winnipeg

-------------------Atom Weaver's Demo Guide-----------------------------
To All,

A fellow Prince asked for an outline of my 30 minute demo. Since I took
the time to put it to 'paper', I thought it might be of interest to the rest
of you. It helps a lot to have a plan when demoing the game. Here it is:

***********
Well the workday is over, so I can put a little time into this now...

First, realize that you don't have to teach everything in the first
sit-down. All you want is to give the players enough of the basics and the
logic behind the rules, so that they can get going and learn on their own.
Some important stuff to tell a large group, especially when they are
experienced players, includes the following:

0. The Zero Rule is pretty much the same for every CCG. Golden Rule of
Card Ownership, Card Rules take precedence over game rules, Yadda yaddda...
Oh, and mention where they can get their questions answered (the Rulebook,
the WW website/forum, and the Jyhad newsgroup) and how to contact you. A
pre-printed card or page with this info is helpful.

1. Resource Management. This game is all about getting the most for your
pool. Spending yourself down too low, too fast _will_ get you ousted. Be
conservative, and try to not spend yourself below 10-15 pool, unless you
really think that doing so will get you a victory point.

2. Absolute timing. With the exception of actions, which take several steps
to resolve, all cards take effect the moment they are played. There is no
"interrupting" a card effect. Some cards can have their effect negated by a
card played after it, but the first card has still been considered played.
The order of who gets to play cards is set. Acting player, then acting
player's prey, followed by his predator, followed by everyone else, going
clockwise around the table. Remember this when sorting a string of cards
and effects.

3. Negotiation is a two-way street. Deals can be a part of VTES, but don't
let a more experienced player coax you into a deal that sounds too good to
be true. It is. Deals are never enforced by the rules, and can be broken
at a time of the players' choosing. On the other hand, you might want to
use the fact that you are a new player to your advantage, and break a deal
yourself, if it means winning VPs...

4. When you play a card, draw a card. Unless a card tells you not to
replace, your hand size is seven, and you should have seven cards in hand.
The cards can flow fast in VTES, which is why the decks have a maximum size
rule.

5. How to Win. Talk about Victory Points (and the six pool), and the
Predator-Prey relationship. Mention cross-table buddies, but warn that
relationships change as soon as someone is ousted...

Now, on to the game itself.

I usually cover the basic order of a turn, and then hit the highlights
slowly while the players play out their first time around the table. The
repetition will reinforce the turn order.

Master Phase: Mention that by default, you get one Master phase action per
turn. You can play a master card with this action, or use a card in play
that gives a benefit from spending the MPA. Mention that card text says
"master" on it. Don't try to go for the "stone border" description, since
it will not stand out on CE cards, etc. Mention again, only one per turn,
and the risk of hand jam if too many are in a single deck. Move on after
this...

Minion Phase: Skip it, until someone influences out a vampire.

Influence phase: Tell about the "wind-up" to the beginning of the game, so
that the first player doesn't have an overwhelming advantage. Mention that
you can transfer up to four pool per influence phase, and leave out the rest
about transfers until someone asks (usually, the question will pop up after
someone gets their first oust). Advise everyone to go for the smallest
vampire that they drew, so as to get it out the fastest. (Later, you will
want to mention the math advantage of figuring out what you can get out most
efficiently, ie. a 6 cap if you happen to go second, etc. Don't bother for
now)

Discard Phase: Since they're demo-ing, go for maximum variety, and have them
discard duplicates first, followed by Master cards, if they have more than
two in hand.

You'll have about two times around the table for someone to get a minion up,
and be ready to act.

Describe vampire card, and what clans and disciplines are. Talk about
needing a clan or a discipline in order to be eligible to play a given card.
Avoid trying to name all of the disciplines and clans, and merely let the
players match symbols to see what they can play.

Now, mention the basic vamp actions: Bleed and Hunt.

Have one minion take an action to bleed the prey for one. Tell that prey
not to block. Resolve the action.

Have the next minion take an action to bleed. Tell the prey to attempt to
block.

At this time, talk about stealth as an action modifier, mentioning that
action modifiers are only playable when one of your minions is acting. If
the player has it in hand, have him stealth by. If he does not, have the
block result in combat.

at this point, your demo has branched into two possible routes:

#1: Player has Stealth: Describe stealth-intercept.

#2: Combat results from Successful block. Describe combat.

#1 (Detail) Mention that the reacting minion can play reaction cards.
Point out any relevant ones. Talk about a blocking minion needing at least
as much intercept as the acting minion has stealth, otherwise, the action
goes unblocked.

#2 (Detail) Cover the types of combat cards, in the order in which they
would be played in the round of combat "Every combat starts a close range.
Cards are played first by the acting player. Cards with a red background
are the only ones playable during combat. Ignore all other cards in your
hand for now. If you have any cards that say to be played before range is
determined, now is the time to play them. Next, we determine range for this
round of combat. Range can be either close or long. Only ranged weapons
and ranged strikes can be used at long range. A Maneuver is used by either
player to change the range of the current round of combat. A player cannot
cancel their own maneuvers. (mention that strikes which provide a maneuver
compel the minion to use that strike, if they use the maneuver. finish
maneuver plays) Next, we select a strike. A card in hand will say Strike:
on it, can be chosen for a greater effect. If you have no strike card, your
minion can punch its opponent for strength damage. Default strength for all
minions is 1."

Cointinue on through strike resolution, damage prevention, and press step.

Last, we lump all carded actions into one big group. This includes
equipment, retainers, allies, and political actions, as well as basic carded
actions (Bum's Rush, etc). Describe each, and have players try to figure
out everything except political actions by following card text.

By this point in time, you might have been demoing for 20 minutes, maybe 30
if a bunch of quesitons were asked...

If you have multiple tables, tell them to call you when they want to try a
political action. It will give you a chance to go around, and see how each
table is doing... Then, you can describe the political action sequence to
each table individually.

Some extra pointers:
Don't try to correct every mistake... The players will sort out most of the
mis-plays on their own. Let them ask you questions, instead of trying to
muscle them into playing by the exact rules. Even when new to a game, most
people resent "kibbitzing".

Don't try to offer much tactical advice. Learning by failing makes the
lesson stick, and the resons for most advice will be beyond a beginner,
anyways...

There is a lot left out in this demo outline. Example: How to deal with
cards in the control of another player when a given player is ousted, for
example. Deal with these topics as the questions are raised, and don't let
small details like this keep the players from playing. If you drone on
about all the small rules, the players will lose interest quickly. Give
them enough to get them going, and then help to steer them straight when
they ask you to.

Good Luck!

DaveZ
Atom Weaver

Regards,
DaveZ
Atom Weaver

Thanks for the info. I had already asked TheLasombra about demo kits -
he carries storyline kits, but not demos. I just emailed Mr. Peal, and
I'll see what he can tell me.

All the Best,
Charles

Thanks, the article was helpful. I have a tendency to present too much
information, so I'll try to keep a handle on that.

One thing I've tried is for everyone to play the first few turns with
their hands on the table, so I can point out card types and offer
advice. But that could be viewed as "kibbitzing". Perhaps I shouldn't
do that in the future.

All the Best,
Charles

GodlessRose wrote:
> Thanks, the article was helpful. I have a tendency to present too much
> information, so I'll try to keep a handle on that.
>
> One thing I've tried is for everyone to play the first few turns with
> their hands on the table, so I can point out card types and offer
> advice. But that could be viewed as "kibbitzing". Perhaps I shouldn't
> do that in the future.
>
> All the Best,
> Charles

I would play cards on the table simply because it lets all the players
see the types of cards and how they can be used. You often find in this
sort of situation once they get going they give suggestions to each
other etc as to what to play.

I think kibbitzing is more referring to standing behind them and either
telling them exactly what they should do every step of the way and/or
basically playing the game for them.

Cheers

James

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 18:27:15 -0400, Peter D Bakija
<pdb6@lightlink.com> wrote:

>I'm pretty sure that The Lasombra (Jeff Thompson--pretty much Mr. VTES)
>sells demo kits and/or prize support kits (assuming you are a Prince, which
>you are, so that should work out fine) if you don't have a good local
>retailer. Check out his web site at:

>http://www.thelasombra.com

I cannot acquire or sell demo kits.
I do acquire and distribute tournament prize support kits.

Thanks for the plug.

Carpe noctem.

Lasombra

http://www.TheLasombra.com

Your best online source for information about V:TES.
Now also featuring individual card sales and sales
of booster and starter box displays.

pat

Expert

"The Lasombra" <TheLasombra@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 18:27:15 -0400, Peter D Bakija
> <pdb6@lightlink.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm pretty sure that The Lasombra (Jeff Thompson--pretty much Mr. VTES)
>>sells demo kits and/or prize support kits (assuming you are a Prince,
>>which
>>you are, so that should work out fine) if you don't have a good local
>>retailer. Check out his web site at:
>
>>http://www.thelasombra.com
>
> I cannot acquire or sell demo kits.
> I do acquire and distribute tournament prize support kits.
>

> Thanks for the plug.

You totally should have posted the FAQ at him for that. ;)

- Pat