[Tournament report] QC Championship Qualifier: Québec 2005

Name of tournament: QC Championship Qualifier: Québec 2005
Location: Québec, Canada
Date: September 1st, 2005
Number of players: 20
Number of rounds: 3 + F

The 2005 edition of the Québec Championship is approaching and the first
qualifier tournament was held in Québec on September 1st. 20 people showed
up to try and earn a spot in the final tournament that will take place in
Gatineau this year, home of the champion of both the QC and NA championships
in 2004, Christian Chénard!

I've seen less combat than usual in Québec and things were a lot more
bleedy. It seems people took the qualifier more seriously this year. In the
end, François Nadeau-Labrecque won the tournament with a deck centered
around Lazverinus. In the process, he not only qualified for the QC but also
won his first constructed tournament!

Here are the final results:

# Name TW PVP FVP TP Q?
1 François Nadeau-Labrecque 3 8 3 168 *
2 Rémy Auclair 1 6 2 150 *
3 Martin Tremblay 2 8 0 156 *
4 Jonathan Long 1 5 0 138 *
5 Daniel Bouchard 1 5 0 138 *
6 Francois Hudon 1 5 132
7 Jeff Giguere 1 3 102
8 Marc Bouthot 0 3 120
9 Kim Boulliane 0 3 114
10 Marc-Andre Tremblay 0 3 108
11 Christian Slatchetka 0 2 114
12 Francis Thibeault 0 2 102
13 Raymond Villeneuve 0 2 96
14 François Deziel 0 2 90
15 Guillaume Hudon 0 2 90
16 Marc Desaulniers 0 1 78
17 Philippe-Olivier Giguere 0 0 72
18 Pierre-Luc Larouche 0 0 66
19 Allan Birket 0 0 66
20 Charles Lechasseur 0 0 60

Here is Frank's winning deck:

Deck Name : Lazveristar
Author : Francois Nadeau-Labrecque
helped me get 1 GW, 3 VP in the first round but never showed up again during
the tournament. The Eye of Hazimel saved me in the second round from a
weenie Obfuscate predator that nearly ousted me!

Crypt [12 vampires] Capacity min: 12 max: 40 average: 7

5x Lazverinus, Thrall 10 AUS DOM FOR POT pro archbishop !Ventrue:2
2x Ignazio Giovanni 9 DOM FOR NEC POT obf Giovanni:3
2x Earl 4 dom for pot Ventrue:3
1x Ingrid Russo 4 DOM for !Ventrue:2
1x Lana Butcher 3 dom for Ventrue:3
1x March Halcyon 1 for Pander:2

Library [90 cards]

Action [16]
2x Ambush
2x Big Game
2x Bum's Rush
1x Eternal Vigilance
2x Govern the Unaligned
2x Harass
2x Nose of the Hound
1x Pulse of the Canaille
2x Scouting Mission

Action Modifier [11]
9x Freak Drive
2x Threats

Ally [1]
1x Mylan Horseed (Goblin)

Combat [40]
4x Disarm
13x Immortal Grapple
4x Skin of Steel
5x Superior Mettle
6x Taste of Vitae
8x Unflinching Persistence

Equipment [2]
1x Bowl of Convergence
1x Eye of Hazimel

Event [1]
1x Dragonbound

Master [13]
3x Blood Doll
2x Direct Intervention
1x Dreams of the Sphinx
1x Fame
1x Giant's Blood
1x Haven Uncovered
1x Jake Washington (Hunter)
1x Perfectionist
1x Secure Haven
1x Tension in the Ranks

Reaction [6]
6x Deflection

Oops, I made a mistake in the tournament report: the tournament was held on
September 11, not September 1st. Sorry (and thanks to our prince for
notifying me).