SP2 PROBLEM WITH DDR MEMORY

When I tried to loan XP Home SP1, the computer (Dimension 4400) froze on
boot so I went reloaded XP Home. Now when I tried SP2 I get the same thing,
what a surprise. The screen says to check for memory problems with the
utility disk. I can't seem to get the utility disk to run or access it.
Anyone know how to do this?

So I'm going to try to replace the memory. Question is I have DDR266
running. Will any DDR work, like Kinston 2100 or 2700 DDR?

Thanks
Jeff
8 answers Last reply
More about problem memory

    You need to buy the correct RAM for your computer. The better quality RAM
    vendors will help you select the exact RAM that you need. For example:
    Crucial (www.crucial.com) manufactures top quality RAM and has a RAM
    selector. Windows XP works best with 512MB of RAM.

    Ted Zieglar

    "Jeff Berk" <berk@brodskyberk.com> wrote in message
    > When I tried to loan XP Home SP1, the computer (Dimension 4400) froze on
    > boot so I went reloaded XP Home. Now when I tried SP2 I get the same
    > thing,
    > what a surprise. The screen says to check for memory problems with the
    > utility disk. I can't seem to get the utility disk to run or access it.
    > Anyone know how to do this?
    >
    > So I'm going to try to replace the memory. Question is I have DDR266
    > running. Will any DDR work, like Kinston 2100 or 2700 DDR?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jeff

    "Jeff Berk" <berk@brodskyberk.com> wrote in message
    > When I tried to loan XP Home SP1, the computer (Dimension 4400) froze on
    > boot so I went reloaded XP Home. Now when I tried SP2 I get the same
    > thing,
    > what a surprise. The screen says to check for memory problems with the
    > utility disk. I can't seem to get the utility disk to run or access it.
    > Anyone know how to do this?
    >
    > So I'm going to try to replace the memory. Question is I have DDR266
    > running. Will any DDR work, like Kinston 2100 or 2700 DDR?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jeff

    Jeff -

    So no luck attempting to boot to the (Dell) resource CD to run the extended
    system diags?

    I had a Gateway 500S of the same general (chipset/CPU/RAM) type that
    absolutely refused to accept an SP2 install w/o major problems...

    Stew

    Thanks guys.

    It won't boot from the diag cd. SP1 wouldn't load either. Thing is my
    warranty expires in 20 days.

    > Thanks guys.
    >
    > It won't boot from the diag cd. SP1 wouldn't load either. Thing is my
    > warranty expires in 20 days.

    <snip>

    I'd have a hard look at both the RAM and hard disk.

    I believe the 4400 can run the quick HDD diags (CTL+ALT+D at the dell splash
    screen) which might be worth the 5 mins. it would take to check it.

    If I had two sticks of RAM in the machine, I'd try reseating both (then try
    again) and then try one DIMM at a time (if this applies).

    I'd also make sure the machine has no externals connected to it other than
    the monitor, keyboard, and mouse during the install.

    If you can't make progress after any of this (running system diags would be
    a big help), then I'd call Dell pronto since you're still under warranty.

    Stew

    Oh! This is a Dell computer under warranty, and the memory that gives XP a hard
    time is original from Dell? That's good reason to get warranty service on the
    computer. What is/was the original operating system?

    You could also run either MEMTEST-86 or MEMTEST-86+ to test the memory in the
    computer. If either one shows errors, then the memory is bad, or there is a
    serious problem with the motherboard... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 20:39:36 -0500, "Jeff Berk" <berk@brodskyberk.com>
    wrote:

    >So I'm going to try to replace the memory.

    I wouldn't do this until I know for sure it's bad. Get yourself a
    copy of one of the Memtest programs and let it run overnight
    exercising the memory in the machine. If it comes up clean, you do
    not have a memory problem and replacing it isn't going to make SP2
    load.

    I have found through quite a few painful experiences that your chances
    of getting a good working installation of SP2 are *vastly* improved if
    you reinstall (or do a repair install of) XP using a slipstreamed SP2
    disk. You can make yourself one of those using Autostreamer. Google
    it for what you need to know to use it.

    Something which I ran into when I installed additional DDR into my 8300 was
    the fact that I thought I had really seated the old memory chips in their
    new locations, but only one end was properly seated and the other was not on
    one of the chips. It booted up, but I did get an error and when I checked
    on the memory under System that is where I saw that something was amiss. I
    reopened the clamshell style of the 8300 and pushed on all the memory until
    I saw that the one in Bank number 2 was not seated properly. The clip
    engaged the slot fully and that was what made the difference in operation.

    "Jeff Berk" <berk@brodskyberk.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks guys.
    >
    > It won't boot from the diag cd. SP1 wouldn't load either. Thing is my
    > warranty expires in 20 days.

    So for what it's worth, the computer got clobbered when I tried to go back
    to XP. With the fresh install, the upgrade went fine. There was no problem
    with the memory, video card or anything else except Windows, the devil
    incarnate.

    Jeff
    "Jeff Berk" <berk@brodskyberk.com> wrote in message
    > When I tried to loan XP Home SP1, the computer (Dimension 4400) froze on
    > boot so I went reloaded XP Home. Now when I tried SP2 I get the same
    thing,
    > what a surprise. The screen says to check for memory problems with the
    > utility disk. I can't seem to get the utility disk to run or access it.
    > Anyone know how to do this?
    >
    > So I'm going to try to replace the memory. Question is I have DDR266
    > running. Will any DDR work, like Kinston 2100 or 2700 DDR?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jeff

Dell DDR Memory Windows XP Computers