I'm looking to buy an inexpensive laptop for my wife. It is pretty much just for web browsing and Skype, no heavy duty computing. The local Staples has the following deal going on for a Dell Inspiron 14R at $450:
Seems like a reasonable deal for a laptop with an i5 processor and 6 gigs of ram. Would prefer 7200rpm on the HDD or a small SSD but at this price range that's probably not going to happen. Anybody have any opinions on this or think there are any better options in this price range? I'll answer some of the typical questions below if it would help. Thanks!
1. What is your budget? Around $500, less is better.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 13" - 15" screen.
3. What screen resolution do you want? Don't care too much.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? On the portable side.
5. How much battery life do you need? Doesn't matter too much.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No games.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Web browsing, facebook, Skype, that's about it. I'd just like to see fairly snappy performance in the basic stuff.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? Doesn't matter, won't need a lot of space.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Newegg, Best Buy, TigerDirect, Staples, Amazon, it's all good.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3 years would be nice.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I don't have brand loyalty but am willing to pay a little more for brands with good quality reputations.
13. What country do you live in? USA.
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. That should pretty much cover it.