Sign in with
Your question

Help no picture!!!!!

Last response: in Windows XP
April 24, 2003 12:41:37 AM

this happens to me alot and I guess I'm not smart enough to see what the problem is. When I go to a web site instead of have a picture or the graphic it is blank with only a little symbol in the upper left corner. The symbol is a little square box with three symbols in it.They are a square(Red),Circle(Green), and triangle(Blue). Has anyone have a idea what causes this it is bugging the heck out of me. Thanks Bruce

Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

More about : picture

April 24, 2003 1:39:36 AM

Two possibles: If you are using a popup killer with "banners adds" set to off that would do it or if you have "activeX controls and plug-ins" disabled in your IE security.

<font color=blue><b>I Harley here, I Harley there, this bear will Harley anywhere.</font color=blue>
:smile: <font color=red>I am the Harley Bear. :smile:
April 24, 2003 2:23:45 AM

no pop up killers and my x active controls and plugin are enabled.Thanks Bruce

Related resources
April 24, 2003 5:16:15 AM

you might need to update your java virtual machine. What OS are you using?

==Is a Processor supposed to Smoke Like THAT?===
April 24, 2003 5:58:29 AM

Bruce, have you upgraded any drivers lately. Graphic drivers perhaps?

<font color=blue><b>I Harley here, I Harley there, this bear will Harley anywhere.</font color=blue>
:smile: <font color=red>I am the Harley Bear. :smile:
April 24, 2003 9:28:56 AM

ok are ALL pictures like that or just some.

it means that the image is still loading on a webpage and is a PLACHOLDER for images.

normally if you leave it for long enough an image will apear, depending on the file type the image will slowley load (e.g. scoll down line by line) but some images wait for the entire image to be dwnloaded before displaying it.

the more traffic you have on your connection (e.g. number of users of number of windows open that are surfing the web) then the slower these pictures will display.

it could be a setting in the options menu under tools in IE, there is a tick box labeld display images (i think its under multimedia heading or somthing)

sometimes images will not open and the connection to the server will "timeout" causeing that little icon with three shape in it to change to an "X" (red) then you would right click on it and select display image.

i hope all those help ou out.

Alltaken
April 24, 2003 5:00:17 PM

I am running XP prof. SP1 package.

April 24, 2003 5:02:02 PM

No I have not upgraded the graphics card latley. I have the up to date drivers for my nvidia GeForce 4 440. Bruce

April 24, 2003 5:06:23 PM

not all pictures are like this only on certian sites.On the Sun java sie I was checking to see if I had the sun java software because of this problem and it said if I see the Image of a coffee pot or what ever it was in the box below then I had the software.The image never appeared just the symbol that I get when I can't view a image. Thanks Bruce

April 25, 2003 3:31:58 PM

Sounds like you should download Sun Java then. I too have noticed a problem with MS's Virtual Machine. Yahoo's games would NOT work until I installed Sun Java.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem Toey? It happens on a fresh install of Win XP or IE 6 with all updates. I don't mind installing Sun Java in the slightest... but I do wish I knew what the problem was. It's highly annoying when Java applets won't run... (or at least give you an error message so you know what the problem might be).

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
April 25, 2003 4:11:22 PM

I finnaly got Sun Java installed and the problem has gone gone gone like a sad sad sad song. Thanks for the Help. Bruce

April 25, 2003 5:35:08 PM

I've got both the MS Virtual Machine build 3010 and the latest version of Sun Java (1.4.1_02), so that means I can switch between them in Advanced Internet Options. Personally, I like the Sun version of Java better, mostly because it's easier to install and update, and appears to be less buggy than the MS version. And since this is the "brand" of Java that is rumored to be in SP1b or SP2 (depending on what MS decides to release), you might as well use it.

WinXP doesn't come with a Java plug-in for the browser installed by default, and that includes the newer version of SP1a, (it was in the older full SP1 Network version) so you have to install it manually.

It's all because of the <A HREF="http://news.com.com/2100-1001-270200.html" target="_new">lawsuit</A>.

So much for the popup dialogue window you are supposed to see when you first run into Java Applets online. Welcome to yet another Windows bug. Sometimes it works ... sometimes it doesn't.

Toey

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=32..." target="_new"><font color=green>My System Rigs</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>Your Computer Questions Answered</font color=orange></i>
April 25, 2003 6:46:39 PM

I like Sun Java better as well... I suppose it just annoys me that something that was working perfectly before is now completely screwed up. I find that most Java applets on websites (except those of Microsoft origin, of course) don't work... and they did work fine before. Even with XP Pro SP1 they worked... it's something they've done recently that made it buggy.

I'll stick with Sun Java in any event. I won't trust MS VM ever again after this incident.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
!