LSJ : "As a vampire"

Last response: in Video Games
Share
September 26, 2005 1:50:56 PM

Hey there !

Can a Rock Cat using Potence "as a vampire" can play Taste of Vitae ?

More about : lsj vampire

Anonymous
September 26, 2005 9:36:56 PM

"Orpheus" <orpheus.13@free.fr> wrote in message

> Can a Rock Cat using Potence "as a vampire" can play Taste of Vitae ?

No.
Taste of Vitae does not require Potence.

September 27, 2005 6:13:23 AM

Never Anonymous wrote:
> "Orpheus" <orpheus.13@free.fr> wrote in message
>>Can a Rock Cat using Potence "as a vampire" can play Taste of Vitae ?
>
> No.
> Taste of Vitae does not require Potence.

Correct.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/
September 28, 2005 12:33:24 PM

Orpheus wrote:
> Hey there !
>
> Can a Rock Cat using Potence "as a vampire" can play Taste of Vitae ?

I don't mean to sound snarky, but is it too much to do a little bit of
research, or just common sense thinking, before posting questions like
this? The answer in this case is just so unbelievably obvious that
it's a waste of people time and bandwidth to have posts like this on
our group. Sorry if I sound mean, but seriously now.
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 12:33:27 PM

Orpheus wrote:
> Hey there !
>
> Can a Rock Cat using Potence "as a vampire" can play Taste of Vitae ?

I don't mean to sound snarky, but is it too much to do a little bit of
research, or just common sense thinking, before posting questions like
this? The answer in this case is just so unbelievably obvious that
it's a waste of people time and bandwidth to have posts like this on
our group. Sorry if I sound mean, but seriously now.
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 1:02:00 PM

CthuluKitty wrote:
>> I don't mean to sound snarky, but is it too much to do a little bit of
> research, or just common sense thinking, before posting questions like
> this? The answer in this case is just so unbelievably obvious that
> it's a waste of people time and bandwidth to have posts like this on
> our group. Sorry if I sound mean, but seriously now.

You do, like, see the serious irony that comes from the fact that you
double posted this, right?

Just checking.

-Peter
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 1:04:06 PM

CthuluKitty wrote:
> I don't mean to sound snarky, but is it too much to do a little bit of
> research, or just common sense thinking, before posting questions like
> this? The answer in this case is just so unbelievably obvious that
> it's a waste of people time and bandwidth to have posts like this on
> our group. Sorry if I sound mean, but seriously now.

And it is also certainly possible that the person asking the question
is not a naitive English speaker, in which case it is perfectly
possible that that answer is not that unbelievably obvious. I'm pretty
sure I couldn't have figured out the answer to that question if, like,
the card was written in Spanish or something.

-Peter
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 1:36:43 PM

p...@lightlink.com wrote:
> CthuluKitty wrote:
> > I don't mean to sound snarky, but is it too much to do a little bit of
> > research, or just common sense thinking, before posting questions like
> > this? The answer in this case is just so unbelievably obvious that
> > it's a waste of people time and bandwidth to have posts like this on
> > our group. Sorry if I sound mean, but seriously now.
>
> And it is also certainly possible that the person asking the question
> is not a naitive English speaker, in which case it is perfectly
> possible that that answer is not that unbelievably obvious. I'm pretty
> sure I couldn't have figured out the answer to that question if, like,
> the card was written in Spanish or something.
> -Peter

Just to reinforce Peter's assumption, I'd point out that only recently
I discovered that the word "eventually" is often used in a context of
certainty. The similar word in my native language, "eventualmente", is
used in a pretty much different way, closer to "possibly" than it is to
"eventually". So "eventually the card will be released" means that the
card will be released for sure, it just happens that the actual
date/period for the release is not set yet and implies that it will
take some time. A quick (and non-accurate, now I know ;)  translation to
Portuguese using "eventualmente" would mean that the card can be
released, but maybe it will not, regardless of how much time it would
take.

Language issues do happen.

best,

Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
Giovanni Newsletter Editor (in absentia)
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 10:35:58 PM

Anonymous
September 28, 2005 10:52:16 PM

Regarding the double post: It's an error in the google newsreader I
use. It seems if you accidentally double click the post button it
posts twice. So sorry about that. I almost posted to explain that but
I figured a triple post was even worse...

> Looking forward to your to-be-published rulebook appendix, as clearly
> you have such a perfect grasp of all the minutiae and ramifications of
> the Rules that you can ensure nobody ever needs to ask this question again.

No need for the sarcasm here. I realize my post was rude, and went out
of my way to excuse myself (obviously not successfully). Some
important questions do need to be asked, and I've often found
clarifications posted on this group very helpful. I doubt I'll be
going out of my way to publish a rules compendium. I have better
things to publish when it gets right down to it. However, there are
some questions that have fairly clear answers and other questions that
have been asked before (often over and over and over again). It's
fairly easy to search the archived database of rulings if ever a
question comes up, and given the number of inane or repetitive
questions posted here, it seems like noone thinks to do that. Hell,
people would even get their answers more quickly if they searched than
they do posting and waiting for a reply from the almighty LSJ. I can
also understand how language barriers can be a problem, especially with
cards with complex or confusing wording. Some cards, like the original
printing of Rotschreck are downright confusing even to native English
speakers. I'm not sure that this particular instance is such a case
however.

Sorry if I pissed anyone off. I hope some of my comments might have
been somewhat constructive, as opposed to just plain rude.
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 10:19:17 AM

CthuluKitty wrote:
> Regarding the double post: It's an error in the google newsreader I
> use. It seems if you accidentally double click the post button it
> posts twice. So sorry about that. I almost posted to explain that but
> I figured a triple post was even worse...

Oh, yeah, I was just being snarky. You gotta get a newsreader. Granted,
I'm using google right now, but usually I use a nice newsreader. *Much*
better.

> However, there are
> some questions that have fairly clear answers and other questions that
> have been asked before (often over and over and over again). It's
> fairly easy to search the archived database of rulings if ever a
> question comes up, and given the number of inane or repetitive
> questions posted here, it seems like noone thinks to do that.

Sure. But, ya know, if you are new, you might not realize that you can
do that. Or, it is often kinda easier to ask a dumb question and just
get it answered by someone who knows ('cause searching for the answer
is often less easy than one might think). Or, again, you might not even
realize that the question is a dumb one.

> Hell,
> people would even get their answers more quickly if they searched than
> they do posting and waiting for a reply from the almighty LSJ. I can
> also understand how language barriers can be a problem, especially with
> cards with complex or confusing wording. Some cards, like the original
> printing of Rotschreck are downright confusing even to native English
> speakers. I'm not sure that this particular instance is such a case
> however.

Maybe, maybe not. Who knows? In any case, it didn't really cause anyone
any problem that it was asked, so I'm not seeing the issue. But that's
me.

-Peter
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 1:32:05 PM

crispy wrote:
> When I first started
> playing, it took me an embarassingly long amount of time to figure out
> what this S:CE everyone kept talking about was, and a search for "S:CE
> means" didn't really turn up that much.

Heh heh. That's in the newsgroup FAQ :-)

-Peter
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 2:55:11 PM

CthuluKitty wrote:
> I can
> also understand how language barriers can be a problem, especially with
> cards with complex or confusing wording. Some cards, like the original
> printing of Rotschreck are downright confusing even to native English
> speakers. I'm not sure that this particular instance is such a case
> however.

Neither do I, but also remember that language issues not only affect
any given player's capacity to understand subtleties in a card text,
but also limits their ability to search for the answer in an
foreign-language-based newsgroup also. Usually a simple search for
"[cardname] author:lsj" is enough, but sometimes it is not.

I've tried a zillion times to tell fellow players to do a search in
this newsgroup before asking some seemingly obvious questions on local
mailing lists, but noticed that most are not proeficient enough to do
that - getting responses like "I tried, couldn't find anything", and
then I try a search for "[whatever situation] author:lsj" and find the
clarification in less than 1 minute. This happens, and these players
deserve a chance at an official answer as much as any other player
does, regardless of their limited ability to understand and express
themselves in another language.

> Sorry if I pissed anyone off. I hope some of my comments might have
> been somewhat constructive, as opposed to just plain rude.

Myself, I saw your comment as a constructive one, rude or not. My
concern is with the idea itself, not the way it was presented.

best,
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 2:56:24 PM

CthuluKitty wrote:
> I can
> also understand how language barriers can be a problem, especially with
> cards with complex or confusing wording. Some cards, like the original
> printing of Rotschreck are downright confusing even to native English
> speakers. I'm not sure that this particular instance is such a case
> however.

Neither do I, but also remember that language issues not only affect
any given player's capacity to understand subtleties in a card text,
but also limits their ability to search for the answer in an
foreign-language-based newsgroup also. Usually a simple search for
"[cardname] author:lsj" is enough, but sometimes it is not.

I've tried a zillion times to tell fellow players to do a search in
this newsgroup before asking some seemingly obvious questions on local
mailing lists, but noticed that most are not proeficient enough to do
that - getting responses like "I tried, couldn't find anything", and
then I try a search for "[whatever situation] author:lsj" and find the
clarification in less than 1 minute. This happens, and these players
deserve a chance at an official answer as much as any other player
does, regardless of their limited ability to understand and express
themselves in another language.

> Sorry if I pissed anyone off. I hope some of my comments might have
> been somewhat constructive, as opposed to just plain rude.

Myself, I saw your comment as a constructive one, rude or not. My
concern is with the idea itself, not the way it was presented.

best,
September 29, 2005 3:10:16 PM

>>However, there are
>>some questions that have fairly clear answers and other questions that
>>have been asked before (often over and over and over again). It's
>>fairly easy to search the archived database of rulings if ever a
>>question comes up, and given the number of inane or repetitive
>>questions posted here, it seems like noone thinks to do that.
>

> Sure. But, ya know, if you are new, you might not realize that you can
> do that. Or, it is often kinda easier to ask a dumb question and just
> get it answered by someone who knows ('cause searching for the answer
> is often less easy than one might think). Or, again, you might not even
> realize that the question is a dumb one.

And, also, there's a lot of questions that are really basic, and so it's
hard to find a straight answer to somewhere. When I first started
playing, it took me an embarassingly long amount of time to figure out
what this S:CE everyone kept talking about was, and a search for "S:CE
means" didn't really turn up that much.

Or which cards you can play how many of. I'm sure it's written right
there in the rules that each vampire can only play one of a given
reaction card per action (In fact, it is right there in 1.6.3), but it's
the kind of rule that's easy to not notice until it's important.

As a case in point, Matt posted a game one time where he bounced a bleed
to his prey, who bounced it back, and he had to take it because, while
he had the Deflection in hand, he only had one minion with dominate.
His predator thought that meant he was out of bounce, made a megableed,
which got bounced to Matt's prey, which I think ousted him. I know I
certainly wouldn't have thought twice about it.
Anonymous
September 30, 2005 12:04:03 AM

In message <dhh05i$i2c$1@newsmaster.cc.columbia.edu>, crispy
<crispyfloss@gmail.com> writes:
>And, also, there's a lot of questions that are really basic, and so
>it's hard to find a straight answer to somewhere. When I first started
>playing, it took me an embarassingly long amount of time to figure out
>what this S:CE everyone kept talking about was, and a search for "S:CE
>means" didn't really turn up that much.

It's not "required" in this group - like it might be in, say,
comp.lang.perl.misc - but if you're worried that people are going to
jump on you for what looks like an obvious question then prefixing your
question with:

- 'I've tried searching on Google for "S:CE means" and "S:CE
definition"'
and
- "I've looked in the FAQ but can't find it"

will pretty much always mean you don't get jumped on. (Assuming you
have done the things you say!) Showing you've made an effort -> good
first impression.

Not that most simple questions get jumped on anyway, but if you want an
extra security blanket...

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.