LSJ : "As a vampire"

Hey there !

Can a Rock Cat using Potence "as a vampire" can play Taste of Vitae ?
15 answers Last reply
More about vampire

    "Orpheus" <orpheus.13@free.fr> wrote in message

    > Can a Rock Cat using Potence "as a vampire" can play Taste of Vitae ?

    No.
    Taste of Vitae does not require Potence.

    Never Anonymous wrote:
    > "Orpheus" <orpheus.13@free.fr> wrote in message
    >>Can a Rock Cat using Potence "as a vampire" can play Taste of Vitae ?
    >
    > No.
    > Taste of Vitae does not require Potence.

    Correct.

    http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

    Orpheus wrote:
    > Hey there !
    >
    > Can a Rock Cat using Potence "as a vampire" can play Taste of Vitae ?

    I don't mean to sound snarky, but is it too much to do a little bit of
    research, or just common sense thinking, before posting questions like
    this? The answer in this case is just so unbelievably obvious that
    it's a waste of people time and bandwidth to have posts like this on
    our group. Sorry if I sound mean, but seriously now.

    CthuluKitty wrote:
    >> I don't mean to sound snarky, but is it too much to do a little bit of
    > research, or just common sense thinking, before posting questions like
    > this? The answer in this case is just so unbelievably obvious that
    > it's a waste of people time and bandwidth to have posts like this on
    > our group. Sorry if I sound mean, but seriously now.

    You do, like, see the serious irony that comes from the fact that you
    double posted this, right?

    Just checking.

    -Peter

    CthuluKitty wrote:
    > I don't mean to sound snarky, but is it too much to do a little bit of
    > research, or just common sense thinking, before posting questions like
    > this? The answer in this case is just so unbelievably obvious that
    > it's a waste of people time and bandwidth to have posts like this on
    > our group. Sorry if I sound mean, but seriously now.

    And it is also certainly possible that the person asking the question
    is not a naitive English speaker, in which case it is perfectly
    possible that that answer is not that unbelievably obvious. I'm pretty
    sure I couldn't have figured out the answer to that question if, like,
    the card was written in Spanish or something.

    -Peter

    p...@lightlink.com wrote:
    > CthuluKitty wrote:
    > > I don't mean to sound snarky, but is it too much to do a little bit of
    > > research, or just common sense thinking, before posting questions like
    > > this? The answer in this case is just so unbelievably obvious that
    > > it's a waste of people time and bandwidth to have posts like this on
    > > our group. Sorry if I sound mean, but seriously now.
    >
    > And it is also certainly possible that the person asking the question
    > is not a naitive English speaker, in which case it is perfectly
    > possible that that answer is not that unbelievably obvious. I'm pretty
    > sure I couldn't have figured out the answer to that question if, like,
    > the card was written in Spanish or something.
    > -Peter

    Just to reinforce Peter's assumption, I'd point out that only recently
    I discovered that the word "eventually" is often used in a context of
    certainty. The similar word in my native language, "eventualmente", is
    used in a pretty much different way, closer to "possibly" than it is to
    "eventually". So "eventually the card will be released" means that the
    card will be released for sure, it just happens that the actual
    date/period for the release is not set yet and implies that it will
    take some time. A quick (and non-accurate, now I know ;) translation to
    Portuguese using "eventualmente" would mean that the card can be
    released, but maybe it will not, regardless of how much time it would
    take.

    Language issues do happen.

    best,

    Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
    Giovanni Newsletter Editor (in absentia)
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Regarding the double post: It's an error in the google newsreader I
    use. It seems if you accidentally double click the post button it
    posts twice. So sorry about that. I almost posted to explain that but
    I figured a triple post was even worse...

    > Looking forward to your to-be-published rulebook appendix, as clearly
    > you have such a perfect grasp of all the minutiae and ramifications of
    > the Rules that you can ensure nobody ever needs to ask this question again.

    No need for the sarcasm here. I realize my post was rude, and went out
    of my way to excuse myself (obviously not successfully). Some
    important questions do need to be asked, and I've often found
    clarifications posted on this group very helpful. I doubt I'll be
    going out of my way to publish a rules compendium. I have better
    things to publish when it gets right down to it. However, there are
    some questions that have fairly clear answers and other questions that
    have been asked before (often over and over and over again). It's
    fairly easy to search the archived database of rulings if ever a
    question comes up, and given the number of inane or repetitive
    questions posted here, it seems like noone thinks to do that. Hell,
    people would even get their answers more quickly if they searched than
    they do posting and waiting for a reply from the almighty LSJ. I can
    also understand how language barriers can be a problem, especially with
    cards with complex or confusing wording. Some cards, like the original
    printing of Rotschreck are downright confusing even to native English
    speakers. I'm not sure that this particular instance is such a case
    however.

    Sorry if I pissed anyone off. I hope some of my comments might have
    been somewhat constructive, as opposed to just plain rude.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    CthuluKitty wrote:
    > Regarding the double post: It's an error in the google newsreader I
    > use. It seems if you accidentally double click the post button it
    > posts twice. So sorry about that. I almost posted to explain that but
    > I figured a triple post was even worse...

    Oh, yeah, I was just being snarky. You gotta get a newsreader. Granted,
    I'm using google right now, but usually I use a nice newsreader. *Much*
    better.

    > However, there are
    > some questions that have fairly clear answers and other questions that
    > have been asked before (often over and over and over again). It's
    > fairly easy to search the archived database of rulings if ever a
    > question comes up, and given the number of inane or repetitive
    > questions posted here, it seems like noone thinks to do that.

    Sure. But, ya know, if you are new, you might not realize that you can
    do that. Or, it is often kinda easier to ask a dumb question and just
    get it answered by someone who knows ('cause searching for the answer
    is often less easy than one might think). Or, again, you might not even
    realize that the question is a dumb one.

    > Hell,
    > people would even get their answers more quickly if they searched than
    > they do posting and waiting for a reply from the almighty LSJ. I can
    > also understand how language barriers can be a problem, especially with
    > cards with complex or confusing wording. Some cards, like the original
    > printing of Rotschreck are downright confusing even to native English
    > speakers. I'm not sure that this particular instance is such a case
    > however.

    Maybe, maybe not. Who knows? In any case, it didn't really cause anyone
    any problem that it was asked, so I'm not seeing the issue. But that's
    me.

    -Peter
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    crispy wrote:
    > When I first started
    > playing, it took me an embarassingly long amount of time to figure out
    > what this S:CE everyone kept talking about was, and a search for "S:CE
    > means" didn't really turn up that much.

    Heh heh. That's in the newsgroup FAQ :-)

    -Peter
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    CthuluKitty wrote:
    > I can
    > also understand how language barriers can be a problem, especially with
    > cards with complex or confusing wording. Some cards, like the original
    > printing of Rotschreck are downright confusing even to native English
    > speakers. I'm not sure that this particular instance is such a case
    > however.

    Neither do I, but also remember that language issues not only affect
    any given player's capacity to understand subtleties in a card text,
    but also limits their ability to search for the answer in an
    foreign-language-based newsgroup also. Usually a simple search for
    "[cardname] author:lsj" is enough, but sometimes it is not.

    I've tried a zillion times to tell fellow players to do a search in
    this newsgroup before asking some seemingly obvious questions on local
    mailing lists, but noticed that most are not proeficient enough to do
    that - getting responses like "I tried, couldn't find anything", and
    then I try a search for "[whatever situation] author:lsj" and find the
    clarification in less than 1 minute. This happens, and these players
    deserve a chance at an official answer as much as any other player
    does, regardless of their limited ability to understand and express
    themselves in another language.

    > Sorry if I pissed anyone off. I hope some of my comments might have
    > been somewhat constructive, as opposed to just plain rude.

    Myself, I saw your comment as a constructive one, rude or not. My
    concern is with the idea itself, not the way it was presented.

    best,
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    CthuluKitty wrote:
    > I can
    > also understand how language barriers can be a problem, especially with
    > cards with complex or confusing wording. Some cards, like the original
    > printing of Rotschreck are downright confusing even to native English
    > speakers. I'm not sure that this particular instance is such a case
    > however.

    Neither do I, but also remember that language issues not only affect
    any given player's capacity to understand subtleties in a card text,
    but also limits their ability to search for the answer in an
    foreign-language-based newsgroup also. Usually a simple search for
    "[cardname] author:lsj" is enough, but sometimes it is not.

    I've tried a zillion times to tell fellow players to do a search in
    this newsgroup before asking some seemingly obvious questions on local
    mailing lists, but noticed that most are not proeficient enough to do
    that - getting responses like "I tried, couldn't find anything", and
    then I try a search for "[whatever situation] author:lsj" and find the
    clarification in less than 1 minute. This happens, and these players
    deserve a chance at an official answer as much as any other player
    does, regardless of their limited ability to understand and express
    themselves in another language.

    > Sorry if I pissed anyone off. I hope some of my comments might have
    > been somewhat constructive, as opposed to just plain rude.

    Myself, I saw your comment as a constructive one, rude or not. My
    concern is with the idea itself, not the way it was presented.

    best,
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    >>However, there are
    >>some questions that have fairly clear answers and other questions that
    >>have been asked before (often over and over and over again). It's
    >>fairly easy to search the archived database of rulings if ever a
    >>question comes up, and given the number of inane or repetitive
    >>questions posted here, it seems like noone thinks to do that.
    >

    > Sure. But, ya know, if you are new, you might not realize that you can
    > do that. Or, it is often kinda easier to ask a dumb question and just
    > get it answered by someone who knows ('cause searching for the answer
    > is often less easy than one might think). Or, again, you might not even
    > realize that the question is a dumb one.

    And, also, there's a lot of questions that are really basic, and so it's
    hard to find a straight answer to somewhere. When I first started
    playing, it took me an embarassingly long amount of time to figure out
    what this S:CE everyone kept talking about was, and a search for "S:CE
    means" didn't really turn up that much.

    Or which cards you can play how many of. I'm sure it's written right
    there in the rules that each vampire can only play one of a given
    reaction card per action (In fact, it is right there in 1.6.3), but it's
    the kind of rule that's easy to not notice until it's important.

    As a case in point, Matt posted a game one time where he bounced a bleed
    to his prey, who bounced it back, and he had to take it because, while
    he had the Deflection in hand, he only had one minion with dominate.
    His predator thought that meant he was out of bounce, made a megableed,
    which got bounced to Matt's prey, which I think ousted him. I know I
    certainly wouldn't have thought twice about it.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    In message <dhh05i$i2c$1@newsmaster.cc.columbia.edu>, crispy
    <crispyfloss@gmail.com> writes:
    >And, also, there's a lot of questions that are really basic, and so
    >it's hard to find a straight answer to somewhere. When I first started
    >playing, it took me an embarassingly long amount of time to figure out
    >what this S:CE everyone kept talking about was, and a search for "S:CE
    >means" didn't really turn up that much.

    It's not "required" in this group - like it might be in, say,
    comp.lang.perl.misc - but if you're worried that people are going to
    jump on you for what looks like an obvious question then prefixing your
    question with:

    - 'I've tried searching on Google for "S:CE means" and "S:CE
    definition"'
    and
    - "I've looked in the FAQ but can't find it"

    will pretty much always mean you don't get jumped on. (Assuming you
    have done the things you say!) Showing you've made an effort -> good
    first impression.

    Not that most simple questions get jumped on anyway, but if you want an
    extra security blanket...

    --
    James Coupe
    PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.