Sign in with
Your question

Will updating vid card help me

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 24, 2003 12:52:24 AM

I want to know if my system will even handle a decent upgrade in video card.

Running XP home
AMD 1900+ (that will only run at 1200mhz... long time headache I cant seem to solve and AMD tech support shrugs off)
512mb sdram
ECS K7S5A mainboard

currently running a geforce 2 GTS 32mb card.

If I upgrade my video card will I see an improvement in frames? I play mainly EQ and planetside, with a few single player games. Ive got only around 300 bucks to spend also which is why im considering just the vid card and not processor/mainboard.

Thanks for any input.

More about : updating vid card

May 24, 2003 1:07:14 AM

Games like EQ use just as much processor power as video card. While a new video card will improve FPS, it would help to get a new processor as well. If youve got 300 I would suggest this. Radeon 9700 non pro - $220 and a Athlon 2100+ tbred b for $75

<b><font color=red>Remember kids, if you see a downed power line, suck on the end, candy comes out!</font color=red></b>
May 24, 2003 3:19:25 AM

all benchmarks I see are for 9700 pro... whats the diff between pro and non pro? any benchmarks hidden somewhere?
Related resources
May 24, 2003 4:27:09 AM

well i found some non pro benchmarks and it does pretty well... but priced about the same is the ti 4800... and I cant seem to find either those cards compared to each other anywhere
!