Card Pack Breakdowns?

Last response: in Video Games
April 11, 2004 6:16:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

Greetings,

Im just getting back into the game from a few years away and I'm afraid
there is alot of things that I am looking for now that I simply cant find
anymore.

The First thing I am looking for, and the most important for me right
now is the card break down for the different pack ( IE when I buy 1booster
pack of 'x' set I am going to get 'j' rares; 'k' uncommons; and 'L'
Commons ).

Also another thing I was looking for was a general breakdown of the
sets. Kind of like a review, say something along the lines of set x has alot
of strong black summons but is lacking in blue denail cards.

Thanks,
Nick

More about : card pack breakdowns

Anonymous
April 11, 2004 8:14:26 PM

Nicholas Geraldi <nickgeraldi@taconic.net> wrote:
> The First thing I am looking for, and the most important for me right
>now is the card break down for the different pack ( IE when I buy 1booster
>pack of 'x' set I am going to get 'j' rares; 'k' uncommons; and 'L'
>Commons ).

For Magic this has been standardized since Mirage: one rare, three uncommons,
and eleven commons, in a booster. (Packs of 7E and 8# have one basic land, I'm
not sure if that's in addition or if it replaces a common.)

> Also another thing I was looking for was a general breakdown of the
>sets. Kind of like a review, say something along the lines of set x has alot
>of strong black summons but is lacking in blue denail cards.

Well, there's always Oracle, which will give you -every- card in -every- set:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dci/oracle

Dave
April 11, 2004 8:14:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

> > Also another thing I was looking for was a general breakdown of the
> >sets. Kind of like a review, say something along the lines of set x has
alot
> >of strong black summons but is lacking in blue denail cards.
>
> Well, there's always Oracle, which will give you -every- card in -every-
set:
> http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dci/oracle
>
> Dave
> --

- Yeah, eventully I plan on reading up on all the cards, but at the moment
im just looking for a quick overview.

Thanks for the other info,

Nick

April 11, 2004 8:20:37 PM

"Nicholas Geraldi" <nickgeraldi@taconic.net> writes:
> The First thing I am looking for, and the most important for me right
> now is the card break down for the different pack ( IE when I buy 1booster
> pack of 'x' set I am going to get 'j' rares; 'k' uncommons; and 'L'
> Commons ).

"Expert" expansions (the black-bordered limited-time-only ones) each
have 1 rare, 3 uncommons, and 11 commons in each booster pack.

The Core Set expansions (7th Edition, 8th Edition... Wizards calls
them "Advanced") each have 1 rare, 3 uncommons, 10 commons, and 1
basic land.

A tournament pack of a large-set expert expansion has 3 rares, 10
uncommons, 32 commons, and 30 basic land (6 of each type).

> Also another thing I was looking for was a general breakdown of
> the sets. Kind of like a review, say something along the lines of
> set x has alot of strong black summons but is lacking in blue denail
> cards.

Well, there's a summary of each set on Wizard's site at
<http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=magic/products/car...;,
although it tends to focus more on flavor of each set, the new
abilities in it, and a couple of cards, and not so much on the
strengths and weaknesses of the different types of cards it has.

--
Peter C.
"The dinosaur track shall be the fossil or fossil emblem of the

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

On 11 Apr 2004 16:14:26 -0400, dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney)
wrote:

>Nicholas Geraldi <nickgeraldi@taconic.net> wrote:
>> The First thing I am looking for, and the most important for me right
>>now is the card break down for the different pack ( IE when I buy 1booster
>>pack of 'x' set I am going to get 'j' rares; 'k' uncommons; and 'L'
>>Commons ).
>
>For Magic this has been standardized since Mirage: one rare, three uncommons,
>and eleven commons, in a booster. (Packs of 7E and 8# have one basic land, I'm
>not sure if that's in addition or if it replaces a common.)

AFAIK, it replaces a common (so it's not that big a deal).

-- pseudosoldier
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 12:16:39 AM

"David DeLaney" <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote in message
> Nicholas Geraldi <nickgeraldi@taconic.net> wrote:
> > The First thing I am looking for, and the most important for me right
> >now is the card break down for the different pack ( IE when I buy
1booster
> >pack of 'x' set I am going to get 'j' rares; 'k' uncommons; and 'L'
> >Commons ).
>
> For Magic this has been standardized since Mirage: one rare, three
uncommons,
> and eleven commons, in a booster. (Packs of 7E and 8# have one basic land,
I'm
> not sure if that's in addition or if it replaces a common.)

It replaces a common. Also, for the original poster, if you buy starter
decks (now known as tournament packs), you will find 60 cards in them for
the sets up to Tempest (3 rare, 9 uncommon, 26 common, 22 basic land) and 75
cards for sets from Urza's Saga and after (3 rare, 10 uncommon, 32 common,
30 basic land). Base sets up to 5th Edition were 60 cards, 6th Edition was
75 cards I *think*, and 7th/8th Edition have no tournament packs.

> > Also another thing I was looking for was a general breakdown of the
> >sets. Kind of like a review, say something along the lines of set x has
alot
> >of strong black summons but is lacking in blue denail cards.

Oof. That would take a long time to compile. There are themes to various
sets though... for instance, Torment has a high number of black cards and
less green or white ones. In Judgment, it's the opposite. The whole Invasion
block (Invasion, Planeshift, Apocalypse) focuses on multi-color cards.
Mirrodin block (Mirrodin, Darksteel, and Fifth Dawn which is not quite
released yet) focuses on artifacts.
Of course that doesn't tell you how good those cards are... without
getting into detail though I'll summarize the more recent blocks for you...
Urza block (Urza's Saga/Legacy/Destiny) is considered quite powerful
overall. Several cards are pretty ridiculous. Hard to find packs now.
Masques block (Mercadian Masques, Nemesis, Prophecy) was dumbed down after
the Urza series in an attempt to restore order... it's not that great.
Invasion block is a lot of fun, pretty powerful cards and multicolor stuff
all over the place. Odyssey block (Odyssey, Torment, Judgment) is pretty
good, not crazy good, not crazy bad, just a good solid block overall.
Onslaught block (Onslaught, Legions, Scourge) focuses on creatures, it
wasn't bad though a little on the underpowered side overall. And Mirrodin
block is looking pretty good so far.
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 3:09:11 PM

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004, Nicholas Geraldi wrote:

> Also another thing I was looking for was a general breakdown of the
> sets. Kind of like a review, say something along the lines of set x has alot
> of strong black summons but is lacking in blue denail cards.

You could try reading the FAQs of each set:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=magic/rules/faqs

David
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 3:58:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

> Oof. That would take a long time to compile. There are themes to
various
> sets though... for instance, Torment has a high number of black cards and
> less green or white ones. In Judgment, it's the opposite. The whole
Invasion
> block (Invasion, Planeshift, Apocalypse) focuses on multi-color cards.
> Mirrodin block (Mirrodin, Darksteel, and Fifth Dawn which is not quite
> released yet) focuses on artifacts.
> Of course that doesn't tell you how good those cards are... without
> getting into detail though I'll summarize the more recent blocks for
you...
> Urza block (Urza's Saga/Legacy/Destiny) is considered quite powerful
> overall. Several cards are pretty ridiculous. Hard to find packs now.
> Masques block (Mercadian Masques, Nemesis, Prophecy) was dumbed down after
> the Urza series in an attempt to restore order... it's not that great.
> Invasion block is a lot of fun, pretty powerful cards and multicolor stuff
> all over the place. Odyssey block (Odyssey, Torment, Judgment) is pretty
> good, not crazy good, not crazy bad, just a good solid block overall.
> Onslaught block (Onslaught, Legions, Scourge) focuses on creatures, it
> wasn't bad though a little on the underpowered side overall. And Mirrodin
> block is looking pretty good so far.

Thats exactly what I was looking for. When I start looking at the sets I
will get more into the specifics card when I start looking at individual
sets.

Thanks alot,
Nick