Can someone help? (SERIOUS)

Last response: in Video Games
April 29, 2004 11:19:25 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

This is my deck for the regionals...

3 Chromatic Sphere
3 Myr Retriever
3 Isochron Scepter
3 Shatter
3 Consume Spirit
3 Terror
3 Dross Prowler
2 Twisted Abomination
3 Electrostatic Bolt
2 Barren Moor
3 Arcbound Overseer
3 Syphon Soul
3 Disciple of the Vault
3 Vengeful Dead
3 Shrapnel Blast
3 Slith Firewalker
2 Gempalm Polluter
3 Arcbound Worker
2 Nim Replica
3 Vulshok Morningstar
3 Arcbound Worker
3 Arcbound Stinger
1 Reiver Demon
1 Altar of Shadows
1 Decree of Pain

10 Swamp
12 Mountain

I NEED to know what to take out. I'm planning on being aggressive with some
zombie tribal.

Signed
Simon W

More about : question

Anonymous
April 29, 2004 11:19:26 PM

Simon Wentworth wrote:
> This is my deck for the regionals...
>
> 3 Chromatic Sphere
> 3 Myr Retriever
> 3 Isochron Scepter
> 3 Shatter
> 3 Consume Spirit
> 3 Terror
> 3 Dross Prowler

Ugh. There are better zombies than this. Try Withered Wretch.

> 2 Twisted Abomination
> 3 Electrostatic Bolt
> 2 Barren Moor
> 3 Arcbound Overseer

Way too expensive. I'd dump the Arcbounds entirely.

> 3 Syphon Soul

Vicious Hunger is better than this.

> 3 Disciple of the Vault
> 3 Vengeful Dead
> 3 Shrapnel Blast
> 3 Slith Firewalker
> 2 Gempalm Polluter
> 3 Arcbound Worker

Unless almost your whole creature base is artifacts, I don't like Arcbounds.

> 2 Nim Replica
> 3 Vulshok Morningstar

Bonesplitter is better.

> 3 Arcbound Worker

You listed Worker twice.

> 3 Arcbound Stinger

See above.

> 1 Reiver Demon
> 1 Altar of Shadows
> 1 Decree of Pain
>
> 10 Swamp
> 12 Mountain

You might want to add Artifact Lands to support your Shrapnel Blasts.

--

"Today, for a lark, let's visit the pants. I'm
sure we'll find something to entertain us."

Simon Wentworth wrote:

> I NEED to know what to take out. I'm planning on being aggressive
> with some zombie tribal.

With all of ten zombies, this is neither agressive or tribal.

You don't have enough artifact creatures to warrant the use of Arcbounds.
This is especially true of the Arcbound Overseer.

You don't have enough artifact sac mechanisms to warrant the presence of
Disciple of the Vault.

Truth be told, this deck looks like something you pulled together from the
cards in that box on the floor of your closet. If you want to compete at
regionals, you'll need a much more agressive and cohesive strategy.

If it's zombie tribal you're after, you'll need several cards not present in
your deck list:

Unholy Grotto
Undead Warchief
Withered Wretch
Noxious Ghoul
Festering Goblin
Carrion Feeder
Nantuko Husk

You might also want to score some Oversold Cemetery. If control is more your
thing, Grave Pact or Call to the Grave work great in a zombie deck.

Deathmark Prelate lets you destroy non-zombie creatures in exchange for
sacing a zombie. This gets you around the limitations of Terror and Dark
Banishing making it much more useful than Shatter. With Grave Pact on the
board, you'll two-for-one your opponent every time.

Just so you know, this strategy stands little chance against Ravager
Affinity, mono-white control and Astral Slide decks. Ravager is faster while
zombie tribal is too slow to prevent the MWC & Slide decks from setting up.
Along with Tooth and Nail, these are the decks you can expect to see
dominating the format.

--
Gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.
April 30, 2004 5:08:07 PM

Zaxx wrote:
> Simon Wentworth wrote:

> Deathmark Prelate lets you destroy non-zombie creatures in exchange for
> sacing a zombie. This gets you around the limitations of Terror and Dark
> Banishing making it much more useful than Shatter. With Grave Pact on the
> board, you'll two-for-one your opponent every time.

Actually, your opponent will probably choose to sacrifice the creature
you are targeting with the Prelate, unless he's not very smart.

--

"Today, for a lark, let's visit the pants. I'm
sure we'll find something to entertain us."
Anonymous
May 1, 2004 1:31:12 PM

Vhass Frothan wrote:

> Actually, your opponent will probably choose to sacrifice the creature
> you are targeting with the Prelate, unless he's not very smart.

That's still two: the target and the one they'll be sacing to Grave Pact.

--
Gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.
Anonymous
May 1, 2004 8:05:45 PM

On Sat, 1 May 2004 09:31:12 -0500, "Zaxx" <bogus@cox.net> wrote:

>Vhass Frothan wrote:
>
>> Actually, your opponent will probably choose to sacrifice the creature
>> you are targeting with the Prelate, unless he's not very smart.
>
>That's still two: the target and the one they'll be sacing to Grave Pact.

No, no. You sac your creature as a cost, putting the ability to kill
the target creature on the stack. This triggers Grave Pact, and its
ability is placed on the stack.
Grave Pact's abilty resolves, and your opponent sacs the target of the
Prelate's ability.
Then the Prelate's ability *tries* to resolve... but finds that it no
longer has a legal target.
It'd be better to use a different sac engine with Grave Pact, one that
gave a different benefit when you sacrificed a creature...
-- pseudosoldier
Anonymous
May 2, 2004 3:46:10 PM

pseudosoldier wrote:

> Then the Prelate's ability *tries* to resolve... but finds that it no
> longer has a legal target.

Ooooohhh...... I get it now. Thanks.

> It'd be better to use a different sac engine with Grave Pact, one that
> gave a different benefit when you sacrificed a creature...

How about Corpse Harvester? It'll replace the saced zombie and net you a
swamp while costing your opponent a creature via Grave Pact.

--
Gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.
!