Can someone help? (SERIOUS)

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

This is my deck for the regionals...

3 Chromatic Sphere
3 Myr Retriever
3 Isochron Scepter
3 Shatter
3 Consume Spirit
3 Terror
3 Dross Prowler
2 Twisted Abomination
3 Electrostatic Bolt
2 Barren Moor
3 Arcbound Overseer
3 Syphon Soul
3 Disciple of the Vault
3 Vengeful Dead
3 Shrapnel Blast
3 Slith Firewalker
2 Gempalm Polluter
3 Arcbound Worker
2 Nim Replica
3 Vulshok Morningstar
3 Arcbound Worker
3 Arcbound Stinger
1 Reiver Demon
1 Altar of Shadows
1 Decree of Pain

10 Swamp
12 Mountain

I NEED to know what to take out. I'm planning on being aggressive with some
zombie tribal.

Signed
Simon W
6 answers Last reply
More about help serious
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

    Simon Wentworth wrote:
    > This is my deck for the regionals...
    >
    > 3 Chromatic Sphere
    > 3 Myr Retriever
    > 3 Isochron Scepter
    > 3 Shatter
    > 3 Consume Spirit
    > 3 Terror
    > 3 Dross Prowler

    Ugh. There are better zombies than this. Try Withered Wretch.

    > 2 Twisted Abomination
    > 3 Electrostatic Bolt
    > 2 Barren Moor
    > 3 Arcbound Overseer

    Way too expensive. I'd dump the Arcbounds entirely.

    > 3 Syphon Soul

    Vicious Hunger is better than this.

    > 3 Disciple of the Vault
    > 3 Vengeful Dead
    > 3 Shrapnel Blast
    > 3 Slith Firewalker
    > 2 Gempalm Polluter
    > 3 Arcbound Worker

    Unless almost your whole creature base is artifacts, I don't like Arcbounds.

    > 2 Nim Replica
    > 3 Vulshok Morningstar

    Bonesplitter is better.

    > 3 Arcbound Worker

    You listed Worker twice.

    > 3 Arcbound Stinger

    See above.

    > 1 Reiver Demon
    > 1 Altar of Shadows
    > 1 Decree of Pain
    >
    > 10 Swamp
    > 12 Mountain

    You might want to add Artifact Lands to support your Shrapnel Blasts.

    --

    "Today, for a lark, let's visit the pants. I'm
    sure we'll find something to entertain us."

    Simon Wentworth wrote:

    > I NEED to know what to take out. I'm planning on being aggressive
    > with some zombie tribal.

    With all of ten zombies, this is neither agressive or tribal.

    You don't have enough artifact creatures to warrant the use of Arcbounds.
    This is especially true of the Arcbound Overseer.

    You don't have enough artifact sac mechanisms to warrant the presence of
    Disciple of the Vault.

    Truth be told, this deck looks like something you pulled together from the
    cards in that box on the floor of your closet. If you want to compete at
    regionals, you'll need a much more agressive and cohesive strategy.

    If it's zombie tribal you're after, you'll need several cards not present in
    your deck list:

    Unholy Grotto
    Undead Warchief
    Withered Wretch
    Noxious Ghoul
    Festering Goblin
    Carrion Feeder
    Nantuko Husk

    You might also want to score some Oversold Cemetery. If control is more your
    thing, Grave Pact or Call to the Grave work great in a zombie deck.

    Deathmark Prelate lets you destroy non-zombie creatures in exchange for
    sacing a zombie. This gets you around the limitations of Terror and Dark
    Banishing making it much more useful than Shatter. With Grave Pact on the
    board, you'll two-for-one your opponent every time.

    Just so you know, this strategy stands little chance against Ravager
    Affinity, mono-white control and Astral Slide decks. Ravager is faster while
    zombie tribal is too slow to prevent the MWC & Slide decks from setting up.
    Along with Tooth and Nail, these are the decks you can expect to see
    dominating the format.

    --
    Gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

    Zaxx wrote:
    > Simon Wentworth wrote:

    > Deathmark Prelate lets you destroy non-zombie creatures in exchange for
    > sacing a zombie. This gets you around the limitations of Terror and Dark
    > Banishing making it much more useful than Shatter. With Grave Pact on the
    > board, you'll two-for-one your opponent every time.

    Actually, your opponent will probably choose to sacrifice the creature
    you are targeting with the Prelate, unless he's not very smart.

    --

    "Today, for a lark, let's visit the pants. I'm
    sure we'll find something to entertain us."
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

    Vhass Frothan wrote:

    > Actually, your opponent will probably choose to sacrifice the creature
    > you are targeting with the Prelate, unless he's not very smart.

    That's still two: the target and the one they'll be sacing to Grave Pact.

    --
    Gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

    On Sat, 1 May 2004 09:31:12 -0500, "Zaxx" <bogus@cox.net> wrote:

    >Vhass Frothan wrote:
    >
    >> Actually, your opponent will probably choose to sacrifice the creature
    >> you are targeting with the Prelate, unless he's not very smart.
    >
    >That's still two: the target and the one they'll be sacing to Grave Pact.

    No, no. You sac your creature as a cost, putting the ability to kill
    the target creature on the stack. This triggers Grave Pact, and its
    ability is placed on the stack.
    Grave Pact's abilty resolves, and your opponent sacs the target of the
    Prelate's ability.
    Then the Prelate's ability *tries* to resolve... but finds that it no
    longer has a legal target.
    It'd be better to use a different sac engine with Grave Pact, one that
    gave a different benefit when you sacrificed a creature...
    -- pseudosoldier
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

    pseudosoldier wrote:

    > Then the Prelate's ability *tries* to resolve... but finds that it no
    > longer has a legal target.

    Ooooohhh...... I get it now. Thanks.

    > It'd be better to use a different sac engine with Grave Pact, one that
    > gave a different benefit when you sacrificed a creature...

    How about Corpse Harvester? It'll replace the saced zombie and net you a
    swamp while costing your opponent a creature via Grave Pact.

    --
    Gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

Games Video Games